The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VII.. Stop In!!! - Printable Version

+- (https://bigbluetrains.com)
+-- Forum: The Depot (https://bigbluetrains.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Forum: Hobo's Camp (https://bigbluetrains.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=39)
+--- Thread: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VII.. Stop In!!! (/showthread.php?tid=6928)

Re: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VII.. Stop In!!! - Mike Kieran - 04-27-2017

Smart way to renovate. Thumbsup Cheers

What theme will you go with for the next layout?

Re: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VII.. Stop In!!! - faraway - 04-27-2017

Mike Kieran Wrote:.... What theme will you go with for the next layout?
That is the key point.... I have so many themes I would like to do. My basic idea is more how should I build the basics (wooden frame and main tracks) to be flexible for the next 20 minor modifications to change themes (semi) annually as I did it in the past.
I think I will stay with the basics as they are now. Staging yard at the north side (4 - 6 tracks), scenery layout at the south side (about 0.5m x 4.0m) and connections with hatches at the east (door) and west (balcony).
Two features in the wood work would be nice at the south side with scenery
- a channel 2" deep and 4" wide crossing the layout for a street below track level
- a strip 1m long at the very front lowered by 2" to be use as quay wall in a harbor theme.
Both can be filled with foam if not used.

We will come back to that discussion in Freelance 2018-1 Big Grin

Re: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VII.. Stop In!!! - faraway - 04-28-2017

The contractor doing the shower got a complaint about a substandard silicone joints.
Two guys appeared this morning at 7:30am at the scene and redid it under immediate supervision of my wife. She was all the time, 2 hours, present and ensured the best possible result. That is the max penalty a craftsman can get 357

Re: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VII.. Stop In!!! - Mike Kieran - 04-28-2017

faraway Wrote:The contractor doing the shower got a complaint about a substandard silicone joints.
Two guys appeared this morning at 7:30am at the scene and redid it under immediate supervision of my wife. She was all the time, 2 hours, present and ensured the best possible result. That is the max penalty a craftsman can get 357

A smart man does whatever SWMBO says. That's why smart men eat well.

Re: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VII.. Stop In!!! - FiatFan - 04-28-2017

Greetings, gang.

Rainy, cold, and 37 degrees outside my window this afternoon. High for today is supposed to be about 43 but that's not gonna happen. I must commend the NWS for their highly accurate Thursday forecast. They predicted a high of 51 and clearing skies. They were 100% correct, except for the temperature which finally reached a blistering 45 late in the afternoon after remaining in the low 40s for most of the day. And the clearing skies, you ask? They cleared off briefly about 7 PM. They did get part of the forecast correct. It was Thursday yesterday.

Spent some time shopping for a new kitchen counter top this afternoon. I picked up a few samples but there are soooo many choices. Also need to decide on a material - laminate (easiest), corian, quartz. Not considering granite because I don't want to have to apply new sealer every 6 months. If anyone has any recent experience with new counter top, I would sure appreciate some feedback.

All stay safe.

Tom

Re: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VII.. Stop In!!! - ezdays - 04-29-2017

Good morning all, I hope you weekend goes as planned. For new, we don't have anything significant planned. We've spent just about the past two months getting relocated and tending to my wife's new hip. She's doing well in that respect, no more physical therapy scheduled and she's even getting around without a walker or a cane. We still have piles of boxes around, no sense in getting unpacked when we're moving a few hundred feet in a few weeks. They need a few weeks to get our casita ready, new paint, new flooring and just a complete cleanup before they give us the keys.

Doctorwayne's "get off your duff" challenge has come to an end. We thank him for running this challenge and we thank everyone that participated and commented as it went along. The votes are in, but we'll let Wayne announce the results.

Participation here is down, and we're not sure why. Maybe it's down in general for other railroad forums as well, maybe we need to broaden our scope as to how to access Big Blue. Packey is working in that, so if anyone has any suggestions, complaints or comments, we're open to listening. After all, we're here for you, Mikey, myself and the mods are simply caretakers and so we need to tailor these forums the way you'd like to see them and access them. Please let us know what we can do if changes are in order....

Re: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VII.. Stop In!!! - ngauger - 04-30-2017

From Catt:

Hi everyone,the good news is I am finally home.,does it feel good. :-) I'm not 100%, closer to 85% but I will take that for now.

Ain't I cute. This is how I Iooked late March after the surgery to drain the blood off my brain.April 1st. I got my very own defibrillator .I am starting to feel slightly bionic. :-)
Johnathan Edwards's portrait:

Re: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VII.. Stop In!!! - Charlie B - 04-30-2017

Thanks for the update Mikey. Pass along our good wishes and prayers for a full recovery.
Charlie

Re: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VII.. Stop In!!! - faraway - 04-30-2017

Good to see him an his way to recover.

Re: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VII.. Stop In!!! - FiatFan - 04-30-2017

Greetings, gang.

Cold, windy, and rainy in the remote reaches of northern Iowa this morning. Right now it's 39 degrees and probably won't get much warmer. So far, I have a half inch of rain and the fortune tellers are thinking I could get another half inch by morning.

I've pretty much narrowed down the colors for the new counter top and kitchen floor. Now it's just a matter of getting it done. Hopefully I can make some progress on that this week. Also on tap for this week is (hopefully) more progress from the electrician.

All stay safe.

Tom

Re: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VII.. Stop In!!! - ezdays - 04-30-2017

Good to see the ol' Fur Ball on the road to recovery. Thanks for the update....

Starting to warm up here again, 100 degrees is back in the forecast for later this week. From there, it's anyone's guess, and yes, there are several media contests going on to guess the first 103 or 110 day down to the hour and minute. I don't know what the prizes are, I don't pay much attention after all these years here.

Re: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VII.. Stop In!!! - FiatFan - 05-01-2017

Greetings, gang.

Another crappy day in progress. It's 43 and windy. Starting tomorrow the weather fortune tellers have promised us warmer temps of about 60. It should be in the low 70s by now.

I got on line to look up the colors for the new kitchen counter and found some that I like better. I have sent pictures out to the kids to get their vote.

No word from the electrician but I expect he didn't want to get frostbite while working in the garage.

All stay safe.

Tom

Re: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VII.. Stop In!!! - FiatFan - 05-02-2017

RISE AND SHINE YOU SLACKERS!!!!!

Greetings, gang.

It's sunny and 37 degrees in the remote reaches on northern Iowa this morning. High for today is supposed to be in the low 60s and our friends at the National Weather Service have personally promised me warmer temperatures for the remainder of the week, although it's still cooler than normal temps for this time of year.

Not much on tap for today. Waiting for another quote on the new counter top in the kitchen. This weekend I'm off to Omaha for my youngest great-granddaughter's 1st birthday. Also trying to get in touch with some friends from high school. My wife and I introduced them and they've never forgiven us. They've been married for 40+ years. 357

All stay safe.

Tom

Re: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VII.. Stop In!!! - Chief Eagles - 05-02-2017

Sunny good morning. 76 degrees with lower humidity. Rained during the night. Resting up. Watched DVR'd shows [one good one is Wild on PBS]. Cooked red hots for breakfast.

Now will get ready for the fray. A couple of Town things and then get hot peppers and cucumbers for the garden. Mow grass. Town Board tonight.

Tomorrow, stacking up. Walk to school day at Sanford Creek Elementary and then High School Food Pantries meeting at court house.

Enjoyed York. All safe and sound home. Don Baker back in LA, CA. Only bought one engine and some maintenance things.

Mikey, Don Baker asked me had I heard from you. Thought you might be at York. Prayers.

Prayers for those in bad weather and flooding.

Later

Re: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VII.. Stop In!!! - ezdays - 05-02-2017

Good morning all, they say we're heading into the triple-digit temps. We didn't get there last week, but they're saying we will hit 100 tomorrow and get to 103 by Thursday. I'm not looking forward to that since the 110's and 115's can't be that far behind. I guess the older you get, the less tolerant you are of these high temperatures.

My wife's hip is doing great, she sees her surgeon today and he should be pleased with his work. She no longer needs a walker and never had to use a cane. Her limp is all but gone and hasn't had much pain since she left rehab about a month ago. Amazing though, a total hip replacement and the scar is just about four inches long and one little spot where they inserted a TV camera. The doctor says that they have devices where they can precisely measure where everything goes and how it gets aligned... We need to be thankful for advances in technology like this. Worship