The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VII.. Stop In!!! - Printable Version

+- (https://bigbluetrains.com)
+-- Forum: The Depot (https://bigbluetrains.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Forum: Hobo's Camp (https://bigbluetrains.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=39)
+--- Thread: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VII.. Stop In!!! (/showthread.php?tid=6928)

Re: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VII.. Stop In!!! - sir james - 05-06-2017

Rain finally stopped. We got 2 days worth, never let up.
However no flooding here.
Club meet tonight, looks like a large group so should be a good mixture of train running.
S.J.

Re: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VII.. Stop In!!! - BR60103 - 05-06-2017

Tom & Don:
Here's another place where you can not only be that wrong but get a big bonus.

<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://projects.thestar.com/bombardier-ttc/index.html">http://projects.thestar.com/bombardier-ttc/index.html</a><!-- m -->

(Warning: the article was 2 full pages plus in today's paper.)

Re: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VII.. Stop In!!! - ezdays - 05-07-2017

BR60103 Wrote:Tom & Don:
Here's another place where you can not only be that wrong but get a big bonus.

<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://projects.thestar.com/bombardier-ttc/index.html">http://projects.thestar.com/bombardier-ttc/index.html</a><!-- m -->

(Warning: the article was 2 full pages plus in today's paper.)
You know, you're right, I did overlook a few other jobs where you can be totally wrong a good part of the time and still get those big bucks. Working for the government is one, supplying the government is another. Frequently, those heads of big companies are still another, becoming multimillionaires while the company is on the brink of bankruptcy or doing poorly. A lot of these people get big bonuses for doing a poor job, but at best, they get to keep their jobs and continue getting contracts.

Who said that life is fair????? Nope

Re: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VII.. Stop In!!! - faraway - 05-07-2017

Got a new toy. The Honeywell Evohome heating controls are in operation since yesterday afternoon. It is "nice" to sit in the rented apartment and adjust the heating in the empty condo via an iPhone app over the internet.
They are support to complete all construction work tomorrow evening.... We will have a meeting at 11am.

Re: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VII.. Stop In!!! - Charlie B - 05-07-2017

faraway Wrote:Got a new toy. The Honeywell Evohome heating controls are in operation since yesterday afternoon. It is "nice" to sit in the rented apartment and adjust the heating in the empty condo via an iPhone app over the internet.
They are support to complete all construction work tomorrow evening.... We will have a meeting at 11am.
That will be fun when it is 20 below and someone hacks in in the middle of the night and turns your heat off. Icon_lol
Charlie

Re: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VII.. Stop In!!! - BR60103 - 05-07-2017

There was a second article in the newspaper today about the streetcar supply, but I can't find it online. This one details all the technical problems (Consumer Reports calls them "sample defects") in the delivered cars.
Toronto's problem is that the current fleet is approaching 40 years old and they were expecting to have most of them off the street by now. How many of you drive 40 year old cars (as daily base use, not an historical restoration)? and the 40 year old computer/electronics design? (pre-DOS software?) The last time I was in Toronto,I could see through the side panels at the floor line. I think they were planning to cannibalize the old cars to make a small fleet of adequate cars, but they can't afford to take that many out of service.

Re: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VII.. Stop In!!! - faraway - 05-08-2017

Charlie B Wrote:
faraway Wrote:Got a new toy. The Honeywell Evohome heating controls are in operation since yesterday afternoon. It is "nice" to sit in the rented apartment and adjust the heating in the empty condo via an iPhone app over the internet.
That will be fun when it is 20 below and someone hacks in in the middle of the night and turns your heat off. Icon_lol
Charlie
Philips sells a basically similar system to control the lights in the home it is called "Hue". Each bulb is a small computer with a Wifi/Blue Tooth connection to each other and control devices. About a year ago was someone successful applying a virus in one of this tiny computers in the bulbs. That virus hopped via the Wifi connection to each bulb accessible switched it off and hopped further. There was no recovery. All infected bulbs were permanent damaged and Philips supplied replacement.
That is the new world of the internet of things. It is therefor important to have a backup to run the heating manually.

Re: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VII.. Stop In!!! - sir james - 05-08-2017

Sun and 50s today
I never get a response from here but our May club video is posted on OGR and our web site.
Detroit3Railers.
S.J.

Re: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VII.. Stop In!!! - FiatFan - 05-09-2017

Greetings, gang.

Another nice day in store for me today. Right now it's 54 headed for a sunny high of 75.

Got home about 7 last night. had a great time with granddaughter and her family. Then yesterday I met with some high school friends I hadn't seen in 25 years.

On tap for today is to paint the conduit on the outside of the house before the electrical is hooked up. I'll do that this afternoon when it's in the shade. The metal gets to hot for proper paint adhesion in the sun. Also on tap is changing the oil in the mower and getting the comp-any started on the new counter top.

David - that's some serious incompetence. Sounds like our military purchasing system such as the fabled $600 toilet seat and the $200 hammers.

All stay safe.

Tom

Re: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VII.. Stop In!!! - ezdays - 05-09-2017

Good morning all, suppose to be cool and wet today, don't know yet since I haven't looked outside. Temps last week were at record highs, we did hit 108 on Friday, now today is "unseasonably low" with temps in the low 70's. Aah yes, it's getting light enough to see that it did indeed rain last night, that's a good thing since on a good year, we still can't get up to 10" of rain.

Congratulations to everyone that participated in the recent build challenge, especially the winners of the challenge. In my book, everyone was a winner since the challenge got you "off yur duff"....

Re: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VII.. Stop In!!! - faraway - 05-09-2017

We have some more trouble.
- The tabletop in the kitchen is made of two parts. The max length available was not long enough and they used two pieces. That was agreed but the joined is done with silicon only. I assumed a strong two component bound to get a seamless countertop.
- The sink should be flush in the tabletop. It is installed 1/10" sunk-in with silicon. That would be another place to collect all kind of dirt.
- The parquet got severe mechanical damaged in front of the kitchen today. A carpenter must have dropped something heavy several times.
- The subcontractor refurbishing the parquet has no clue what kind of oil/care product has been used the last time. He failed to clean it two times today. I hope he will find a way to get it clean. It looks awful at the moment.
- Movers have been postponed until Monday next week

Not a good day but another meeting 11:30h tomorrow....

Re: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VII.. Stop In!!! - FiatFan - 05-10-2017

Greetings, gang and happy Promontory Point day.

Light rain and 57 outside my window this morning. High for today is supposed to be in the mid 60s with off and on rain throughout the day.

Two out of three chores accomplished yesterday. Conduit is painted and the counter has been ordered. May not be ready until the end of May or early June. Did not get the oil changed on the mower yesterday but I did go for a bike ride which was much more fun anyway. Today is going to be laundry day as my outdoor activities are curtailed.

Reinhard - I hope I don't have as much problem as you're having.

All stay safe.

Tom

Re: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VII.. Stop In!!! - Chief Eagles - 05-10-2017

Howdy. Partly cloudy and 68 degrees. Been messy and chilly for a few. Shower during the early hours. Should hold for the rest of the day per guessers. Rain on the way. Wifey gardening today. She will werk tomorrow and Friday. Got more weeding in the garden. Set out some more plants. Tomatoes are almost baseball size on early greenhouse started plants.

Have a good one.

Re: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VII.. Stop In!!! - FiatFan - 05-11-2017

Greetings, gang.

Sunny and 46 right now with a predicted high of 68.

Today's the day of the big electrical switch. Electrician is supposed to be here at 8 to start moving wiring from fuse box to breaker panel. Power company will also be here to move the electrical meter (electrician not allowed to move that) and move service line from middle of house to corner of house. Could be without power for as much as 4 hours. I'll be glad to get this project over with.

All stay safe.

Tom

Re: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VII.. Stop In!!! - FiatFan - 05-12-2017

Greetings, gang.

Sunny and 45 right now headed for sunny and 75 later in the day with light breezes. Looks to be a beautiful day (cue Gordon McRae).

Actually wound up without power for 5.5 hours. Power company showed up promptly at 8. Electrician didn't arrive until almost 8:30. Power back on by 1:30 but he didn't finish until almost 5 and still has a couple more projects to complete. He'll be back Monday or Tuesday for that. While he was working I got the yard mowed but since the trimmer is electric I guess I'll do the trimming today. Also on tap for today is a grocery run.

Prayers for Deano and his dad.

All stay safe.

Tom