Where to start?? - Printable Version

+- (https://bigbluetrains.com)
+-- Forum: Mainline (https://bigbluetrains.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=17)
+--- Forum: HO Modeling (https://bigbluetrains.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=21)
+--- Thread: Where to start?? (/showthread.php?tid=722)

Where to start?? - iis612 - 02-10-2009

I need a break from the bowser builds. I have a massive pile of structure kits.
I have a generic background building, a roundhouse, a turntable, a coal dealer, a coaling tower, a cinder pit and conveyor, a gas station, a power plant, a gas plant, and several pieces of rolling stock (in kit form, and some just undecorated). That is just the tip of the iceberg, there are many more.
I really need to structures so I can move them around to get the best use of them, and the space. It will make track planning much easier. I just don't know which kit to begin with...

Matt

Re: Where to start?? - Selector - 02-10-2009

That one right there....no, the one behind it.

Icon_lol

Re: Where to start?? - tetters - 02-10-2009

Always start with the one that you don't have. This involves a trip to the LHS and picking up another kit to add to the pile. Good Luck! Big Grin

Re: Where to start?? - Trucklover - 02-10-2009

tetters Wrote:Always start with the one that you don't have. This involves a trip to the LHS and picking up another kit to add to the pile. Good Luck! Big Grin

Icon_lol Icon_lol Icon_lol

Matt, you can start by sending me the Gas Plant and Power Plant Misngth hehe

Re: Where to start?? - LynnB - 02-10-2009

If you already have the kits just narrow down which one catches your likes the most and don't exclude the one that appears to be the most intimidating because they all are until you've dove in and tried it. If you don't have kits already well you better get surfing and pic a nice wooden kit ( thats just me of course ) or what ever kit will most reasonably fit your era on the layout and may or may not create a purpose for the industry and that is of course if your building an industry based layout. Personally I feel that all layouts should have a purpose otherwise I would get real bored real quick just watching trains go roundy roundy. Cheers

Re: Where to start?? - nkp_174 - 02-10-2009

Work on things which are directly related to what you already have going...and which is most important for track planning.

Since you are building a pair of steam locomotives, consider building you steam locomotive servicing facilities. Forget about the generic building...it is generic...and hence can go anywhere.

The TT and roundhouse are two of the most important buildings to install due to their space requirement and installation. I would suggest that you build the roundhouse and turntable on a 2" thick separate module which can be installed on your layout...perhaps include the coal tower & such on the module. This will make their installation easier...and give you a small something to detail...and will go well with your locomotives once they are finished.

Always try to keep a focus to your modeling efforts if you want to go somewhere. For instance, I may have a number of projects currently on my work bench, but working on any one of them brings my roster of need rolling stock closer to completion.

Re: Where to start?? - nachoman - 02-10-2009

whatever one you think you can finish in a reasonable amount of time, so that way it doesn't become yet another work in progress!

You may also consider something that is drastically different than what you are working on now - for variety's sake. Keeps you from getting bored Icon_lol

Re: Where to start?? - eightyeightfan1 - 02-10-2009

Grab one of the boxes. Rip open the plastic. Open the box and spread out the parts. Check to make sure....
Oh...You mean WHICH one to start with........

Re: Where to start?? - jim currie - 02-10-2009

the one on top Big Grin

Re: Where to start?? - michael_balcos - 02-11-2009

If you've got plenty of time, I'd go for the biggest structure first. Size somehow makes me think that I've done a lot. But, of course, that's just me. Wink

Re: Where to start?? - iis612 - 02-11-2009

I think I will follow NKP's advice. I will start with the roundhouse, then the turntable, then the coaling tower and progressively work away from the engine terminal.
I will start one thread on this board to cover the construction of all of them. Stay tuned, as one of the builds should be interesting. It is going to be a kitbash build. I am going to graft a DPM powerhouse, the DPM Fed Ups terminal and the gas plant together. I will use it as part of my GERN complex.

Now I jsut have to decide where all of them should be on the layout... Icon_lol

Matt

Re: Where to start?? - LynnB - 02-11-2009

Glad you made a decision , can't wait. Cheers

Re: Where to start?? - nkp_174 - 02-11-2009

I look forward to seeing it grow into a fine locomotive facility!