I need a CNR prototype to match the model - Printable Version

+- (https://bigbluetrains.com)
+-- Forum: The Depot (https://bigbluetrains.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Forum: Upper Berth (https://bigbluetrains.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=7)
+--- Thread: I need a CNR prototype to match the model (/showthread.php?tid=7489)

I need a CNR prototype to match the model - cnrglen - 05-11-2015

I'm repainting a Rivarossi diner car that I bought from another modeler's estate. He added the extra kitchen door on the side, probably to better match a prototype Canadian National car but try as I might I can't find a close match on the internet or in my library. Can anyone help?
[Image: 002_zpsnakg32ia.jpg]
I thought I might semi-match the 'white' café-bistro cars but those had a rounded 'turtle' roof where as this has a clerestory.

Re: I need a CNR prototype to match the model - MasonJar - 05-11-2015

My quick search did not find anything useful either. Sad

The closest I got was a work train diner rebuilt from a heavyweight passenger car. In place of your door, it has a blocked window with a vent installed below.

However, there's nothing to say that CNR didn't have a car like that. CNR seemed to be known for their "one-offs". Wink

Andrew

Re: I need a CNR prototype to match the model - cn nutbar - 05-11-2015

Hi Glen---I found this picture in Lepkey's "Canadian National Railways"book---not a perfect match but it does have a door

[Image: efd7635b-1677-4823-a37f-0ede9c9e7888.jpg]

Re: I need a CNR prototype to match the model - BR60103 - 05-11-2015

I've just had a look through the ca. 1973 CN Passenger Car Equipment book. There doesn't seem to be anything matching your car.
There is a similar car, but without the doors, item M-19, Dining Car 1329. Item M-20, Dining Cars 1330-1335 have a door in the middle but not the one at the left end.
Both series have 3 windows over the kitchen/pantry and 6 over the seats.
It looks as if 1329 was never repainted into the black and white scheme.

(nutbar seems to have done some research too.)

Re: I need a CNR prototype to match the model - cnrglen - 05-11-2015

Thanks guys. I did find a close-up of a Dinning car #1333 in CN Lines Volume6 Number 2 but it doesn 't show the entire car but it does show the center door.

If it comes to not finding a close prototype, I may just freelance the car and number and name it myself

Re: I need a CNR prototype to match the model - BR60103 - 05-12-2015

Glen:
my book has a big gap in the dining cars between 1303 and 1329. They may have been scrapped by the 70s, but that's where I'd number it.
(I haven't done a thorough check to see if there's some other type of car there.)

The book shows interior plans and mentions other details: trucks, electric system, types of stoves, sometimes toasters (!). I might be able to copy some for you.

Re: I need a CNR prototype to match the model - cnrglen - 05-12-2015

Thanks David, that's a big help. I wouldn't mind seeing some of the interior diagrams as well.
I am looking for the original Rivarossi interior, probably find it at a swap meet (attached to another car!)