Viperman's HO layout progress - Printable Version

+- (https://bigbluetrains.com)
+-- Forum: Mainline (https://bigbluetrains.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=17)
+--- Forum: HO Modeling (https://bigbluetrains.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=21)
+--- Thread: Viperman's HO layout progress (/showthread.php?tid=874)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6

Re: Viperman's HO layout progress - viperman - 06-05-2009

After reading in the thread about yard tracks, I'm wondering if I should spray some primer on the rock faces before painting, so the spackle doesn't soak up the paint too quick, or would the soaking add some detail?

Re: Viperman's HO layout progress - viperman - 06-28-2009

Haven't gotten any modeling done the last couple weeks, and it won't be for at least another week before I get a chance again. My wife and I just had our 2nd baby, so we'll see when I can get up to my parents next

Re: Viperman's HO layout progress - doctorwayne - 06-28-2009

viperman Wrote:Haven't gotten any modeling done the last couple weeks, and it won't be for at least another week before I get a chance again. My wife and I just had our 2nd baby, so we'll see when I can get up to my parents next

Hey, c'mon Steven, we are all aware of who did most of the work to accomplish that, so it's not really a valid excuse. Wink Goldth Misngth
Congratulations, though, to both you and your wife, on your latest "kitbash". Thumbsup Thumbsup Goldth

Wayne

Re: Viperman's HO layout progress - iis612 - 06-29-2009

Congrats!!!! 1990_dancing

Re: Viperman's HO layout progress - viperman - 06-29-2009

Cheers thanks guys!

Re: Viperman's HO layout progress - Steve - 07-03-2009

Congratulations!!!!!!!!!!
1990_dancing 1990_dancing 1990_dancing Waveof7 1990_dancing 1990_dancing 1990_dancing
Nothing better than that!

Re: Viperman's HO layout progress - viperman - 07-03-2009

Thanks Steve!!! Cheers

Re: Viperman's HO layout progress - viperman - 08-03-2009

Woohoo, got some work done yesterday!

I placed some window screen material over the road I laid out with the WS Risers.
[Image: MYlayout-34.jpg]

I then placed some spackle on the screen to start paving the road
[Image: MYlayout-35.jpg]

I then added a big slab of foam down on the other side of the hill from what I've been doing most of my work to start filling in that area too. In the same picture you can also see another angle of the last picture.
[Image: MYlayout-36.jpg]

Re: Viperman's HO layout progress - ocalicreek - 08-04-2009

Looking good, Steven! Just remember to add more foam than you think you'll need. You're going to carve away anything that doesn't look like a hill so you've got to begin with more than the hill itself. Nice Idea with the screen on the road. A long while back I used muslin cheese cloth to provide a place for plaster to grab over foam because the plaster would set then chip off without adhering to the foam itself. After I hot-glued the cheese cloth in place and added the plaster, well, it still chipped off, just in one great chunk held together by the cloth! 35 Since then I have gone to using joint compound which seems to be stickier than plaster.

Galen

Re: Viperman's HO layout progress - iis612 - 08-04-2009

Steven,

Things are looking sweet!!! I like that road you have working there. On another note, how are the Wife and youngster doing?

Matt

Re: Viperman's HO layout progress - viperman - 08-04-2009

ocalicreek Wrote:Looking good, Steven! Just remember to add more foam than you think you'll need. You're going to carve away anything that doesn't look like a hill so you've got to begin with more than the hill itself. Nice Idea with the screen on the road. A long while back I used muslin cheese cloth to provide a place for plaster to grab over foam because the plaster would set then chip off without adhering to the foam itself. After I hot-glued the cheese cloth in place and added the plaster, well, it still chipped off, just in one great chunk held together by the cloth! 35 Since then I have gone to using joint compound which seems to be stickier than plaster.

Galen

Galen, I use sheetrock in place of plaster. Seems to be working fine for me so far. I just have to be careful in big areas not to apply too much at a time, unless I feel like fixing cracks. The screen was put in place since the road there is actually a WS riser and has big gaps in it which would otherwise be hard to cover. We'll see next time how its holding up.

iis612 Wrote:Steven,

Things are looking sweet!!! I like that road you have working there. On another note, how are the Wife and youngster doing?

Matt

Matt, Thanks for the kind words! Wife is doing just fine and about to go back to work in a week. Baby is, well, a baby. And I forgot how much I can't stand this age. I've told her numerous times I'm done now, two is enough for me. She still wants to try for a girl though. Nope

Re: Viperman's HO layout progress - viperman - 08-05-2009

I painted a piece of test track to test out how I want to make the rails look rusty. I painted the ties on both ends with boxcar red, just as I've done with the layout. One one end I painted the rails with boxcar red and the other end with rust. Any opinions?

[Image: MYlayout-37.jpg]
[Image: MYlayout-38.jpg]

Re: Viperman's HO layout progress - HO King - 08-05-2009

Great work Steven I'm really enjoying your work and I'm learning a lot from you and everyone else
and by the way I'm a little late but congrats on your new addition Cheers 2285_ 2285_ 2285_ Cheers

Re: Viperman's HO layout progress - HO King - 08-05-2009

I just remembered a few years ago I used a simular operation on a mountain and lake scene
It started out by using loosely build up newspaper then lightly taping it down then dipping paper towels
into plaster of paris mixture and then draping it over the news paper .
Once this dried I used dry well mud and a damp paint brush and spread the mud over the terrain.
Before it dryed I added reel dirt and stone and twigs ,in some places I used bigger stones to show
bolders and in some places I took a popcycle stick and made cracks where water flowed down from the mountain top.
The lake was of course at the foot of the hills and as I poured the dirt what rolled off the hills fill in to the lake
bottom.
After about a couple of weeks it dried and then I added paint .Lets see I think I used seanas and earth colors.
The dirt and rocks drank it write in and it worked out beutifully.
The water I used was epoxy polyester .Why I used this is because when it dried it's hared and its clear so what
ever color you use for the lake floor shows and you can mix food coloring with it to get what ever shade of blue or green
you want or what ever and the best part also when it dries it leaves ripples on top as if the wind is blowing across
off the hills.
Well all I can say is it was so realistic my two were using it as a kitty letter box Icon_lol Icon_lol Icon_lol I since had to tear it down and there outside cats now .I will use that principle again on my next layout
I think it's called Hard Shell and I learned about it off of a tv show called All About Trains.
But any way again fine job I,m looking forward to seeing more.

Re: Viperman's HO layout progress - viperman - 08-05-2009

King, thanks for the kind words. I've been trying to figure out what I want to use for water, and I think I may use what you were just talking about on your last layout, since that sounds like the effect I want