using photographs as backdrops - Printable Version

+- (https://bigbluetrains.com)
+-- Forum: Photographer's right of way (https://bigbluetrains.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=37)
+--- Forum: Shutterbug area (https://bigbluetrains.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=6)
+--- Thread: using photographs as backdrops (/showthread.php?tid=8741)

using photographs as backdrops - cn nutbar - 07-08-2018

[attachment=28885]Hello Everyone---recently I've been using some of my photographs as backdrops.My printer makes copies that appear a bit hazy or muted but I like the effect.I simply paste the copy onto a piece of card-stock and place a locomotive in front of the picture to create a scene.Here's some samples

RE: using photographs as backdrops - ngauger - 07-08-2018

Great Idea! I've seen a few layouts that use this method.

RE: using photographs as backdrops - doctorwayne - 07-09-2018

Nice effect, Ed, and a good way to vary the background without having to redo the whole layout. Thumbsup Thumbsup

Wayne

RE: using photographs as backdrops - cn nutbar - 07-09-2018

Actually it was Bruce (bdw9535) who inspired me to use this technique after he sent me a photobackdrop from his collection

RE: using photographs as backdrops - cn nutbar - 07-09-2018

Here's some more examples

RE: using photographs as backdrops - cn nutbar - 07-12-2018

Bayview

RE: using photographs as backdrops - Tyson Rayles - 07-13-2018

Maybe it's my monitor but all the backdrops look very washed/faded out and don't seem to blend in with the foreground?

RE: using photographs as backdrops - cn nutbar - 07-13-2018

(07-13-2018, 06:45 AM)Tyson Rayles Wrote: Maybe it's my monitor but all the backdrops look very washed/faded out and don't seem to blend in with the foreground?

Hi Tyson---it's not your monitor,it's probably an issue with my printer which is not a high grade model and all my copies look faded.My copies reminded me of some of Walthers background scenes which also appear washed out

Tyson---here's a scene using a Walther's background

RE: using photographs as backdrops - ezdays - 07-13-2018

(07-13-2018, 08:34 AM)cn nutbar Wrote:
(07-13-2018, 06:45 AM)Tyson Rayles Wrote: Maybe it's my monitor but all the backdrops look very washed/faded out and don't seem to blend in with the foreground?

Hi Tyson---it's not your monitor,it's probably an issue with my printer which is not a high grade model and all my copies look faded.My copies reminded me of some of Walthers background scenes which also appear washed out

I was thinking that it might look that way since your photos are all focused on your locos, not on the backdrop. Still, they do give you a sense of distance being a bit faded out that way.

(07-13-2018, 12:33 PM)ezdays Wrote:
(07-13-2018, 08:34 AM)cn nutbar Wrote:

I was thinking that it might look that way since your photos are all focused on your locos, not on the backdrop. Still, they do give you a sense of distance being a bit faded out that way.

Right on Don---that's exactly what I was hoping to capture with the faded background---maybe with more practice the scenes will look better and I'm going to try using larger copier paper to get wider prints.Thanks for the feedback

RE: using photographs as backdrops - Tyson Rayles - 07-14-2018

I see what you mean about the Walther's backgrounds.