1 : 1 scale modeling - Printable Version

+- (https://bigbluetrains.com)
+-- Forum: The Back Shop (https://bigbluetrains.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=52)
+--- Forum: The Big Blue Academy (https://bigbluetrains.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=53)
+--- Thread: 1 : 1 scale modeling (/showthread.php?tid=8940)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21

Re: 1 : 1 scale modeling - e-paw - 08-09-2017

Thanks Doc.

The mechanical department put out a guideline/bulletin on MU-ing our F units to help out some of the newer crewmembers. Just a tidbit of info I thought you might find interesting.

STEAMTOWN NATIONAL HISTORIC SITE

MUing F3 Locomotives
The control and fuel pump, engine run and generator field switches in the trailing unit must never be in the on position when MUing units. Only the lead unit is to have the control and fuel pump, engine run and generator field switches in the on position, all trailing units must have the control and fuel pump, engine run and generator field switches in the off position when MUed and prior to applying the MU jumper. NO EXCEPTIONS! Generator field should only be on in the lead unit when the engineer wants traction power, it must be in the off position for positive protection/3 step. If one unit fails to respond to throttle changes or shuts down in notch 5 or 6, check the fuel pump fuse, even if the fuel pump is still running.
Transition in F3 Locomotives
In order for the F3’s automatic transition to be effective the selector handle (to the left of the throttle) must be placed in the extreme left position (#4) before operating reverser. The reverser can only be removed in the off position. The reverser handle MUST be removed from the control stand in all trailing units.
From the off position the notches to the left are:
1. Series Parallel
2. Series Parallel Shunt
3. Parallel
4. Parallel Shunt-Full transition
If you place the selector handle in any position besides #4, you will only allow transition to that step and not full transition. Do not shift transition lever (manual transition) with the speed or meter indications, unless otherwise advised by your supervisor. Failure to follow these procedures will lead to high voltage system equipment damage.

Re: 1 : 1 scale modeling - ngauger - 08-10-2017

Great work!! I like the guideline sheet too. Thanks for posting all this, it's a great feeling to watch a restoration like this.

Re: 1 : 1 scale modeling - e-paw - 08-10-2017

Don't ask where the Chinese like writing came from. It's not on the original and wasn't there when it posted last night.

Nope Nope Nope

EDIT - I just noticed that the Chinese writing only showed up on my phone, on my PC, it looks fine.

Re: 1 : 1 scale modeling - e-paw - 08-13-2017

Just got back from today's excursion, This one was to Gouldsboro so a group of Boy Scouts get their operation Lifesaver merit badges.

Here we are at the platform loading our human cargo as the Yard shuttle passes us on the runner track. Once they are clear we will be able to head out on the main.

Passing the Mathis street tower with 664 leading and 663 trailing.

One of the many railfans taking our portrait as we passed by.

Rounding a curve as we approach Gouldsboro.

With the power moved to the west bound side of the train, the passengers are now boarding for the return trip.

Re: 1 : 1 scale modeling - ngauger - 08-13-2017

Looks like you had a great trip! Smile

Re: 1 : 1 scale modeling - e-paw - 08-27-2017

With our attention diverted lately to packing a full excursion season into a few weeks witch lead to dealing with some cranky F-units, and educating new train crew members on first generation EMD's ; we have not been able to spend much time on the "B". So yesterday was spent on the B's fuel system. All the wiring was checked so that the pump can be turned on and off from both the trainline MU and the control stand , filters were replaced (in one case removed), and the pump checked for proper rotation.

Now it was a matter of seeing if there were any leaks in any of the old fuel lines. Most were able to be to be fixed By tightening / replacing a fitting or two here and there. But, one entire filter assembly had to be removed. This roughly 12 x12 x4 inch box that is a cotton sock type filter. It's the second in a set of three filters in the fuel system and is no longer installed in newer units( anything built after 1960 something ). It is completely redundant, and difficult to service because of it's location, tucked underneath water and oil pumps. We discovered a hairline crack in the housing witch became a geyser of fuel oil once pressurized. Removing it was no fun either.

After a days worth of tinkering and tightening we managed to get fuel to the prime mover. You can see the red dyed fuel in the first sight glass.     This is the first time that fuel has made it this far into the system in 40 years. It is normal to only have one sight glass full as the second one is a backup if the filter under the first one becomes clogged.
These two red filters are the third stage in the filter system. There is still one more located between the fuel tank and the pump. This puts us one step Closer to start up, which will be a big event.

Re: 1 : 1 scale modeling - ngauger - 08-27-2017

I'd love to be there when it finally starts!! Too Cool!!! Great work to all involved!!

Re: 1 : 1 scale modeling - e-paw - 08-27-2017

I will let everyone know when we be ready for start up before it happens so that anyone who wants, can have a front row seat. The "B" will not be ready to move under it's own power at that time , we will just be starting the prime mover to see what kind of condition she is in after being asleep for the last four decades. This will allow us to check for vibrations in the engine, compressor, and generator. Injectors and valves will need to be adjusted , the generators AC and DC outputs can then be checked, and how well the compressor develops air can also be looked into. Another important part of the compressors operation that can be checked is it's governor that regulates when it starts and stops building pressure. If it all goes well the secondary electrical systems can be worked on, like the cooling fans, aux generator, and traction motor blowers. Still plenty of work to do, and that is all in the future. For now we still need to install the prime movers governor. Wire up starting the starting contactor, Check and tighten up a few things around the engine block, and check the stop circuit to insure we can shut it down.

Re: 1 : 1 scale modeling - e-paw - 09-10-2017

We have a bit of a break from excursions in September, so we will be getting to some maintenance on 664. For the last few years she has been the only operating power in the park, so she has handled everything from shop switching and yard shuttles to excursions. This has taken a toll on her, and now with 663 and the 26 running we can be getting around to some shop time for her. This will involve swapping out her cooling fan controls and cleaning out the #3 traction motor as it is once again filling with oil. This morning was spent prepping the rear truck to be dropped for the motor cleaning.

This includes separating the airlines that control the brakes. Behind and underneath these (not visible in the pic) are two bolts which must also be removed.    

Disconnecting the sand lines, There are two of these on the outboard axle of each truck.    

Separating the electrical leads to each motor. This is the #4 motor at the rear of the engine. With the draft gear in the way it is not an easy task. Notice the dry look of the truck on this side .    

Remember the look of the #4 motor, #3 is covered in oil. This is a common problem on F units, where engine oil from the sump leaks into the baffle of the traction motor blower. This then blows it all over the #3 armature causing all kinds of trouble. During last winter we built a dam to stop this from happening, but we did not have the time to clean out the motor before the excursion season.    

664 will be going over the drop table on Wednesday for the cleaning and reinstallation of the truck. As a little extra note,,, there are four electrical connections. Two for the armature ( A and AA ) and two for the field windings ( F and FF ). You can see the labels on the traction motor housing. The extra smaller wire is a ground that attaches to the underside of the unit.    

Re: 1 : 1 scale modeling - e-paw - 09-10-2017

Latter in the afternoon we went about some more work on the "B", in order to have her ready for the last two trips in October. One trip is to East Stroudsburg and the other is to the Water Gap. We first looked into the starting contactor, All the wiring that I had installed earlier from the main cabinet to the starting cabinet checked out fine. We removed the wire to the generator on the Starting contactor and hit the start button and,,,,,, nothing ????? The coil should have energized and pulled in the contactor. We traced out the old NS wire and found out lots of strange things. The starting contactor is wired trough a breaker called "local Control" and also through the Sanding relay. None of this is on our prints. With the way the NS cabinet is wired, you have to be putting sand down on the rail in order to start the engine, and if the local control breaker is on, the engine will be constantly trying to start. This will take some looking into to see what NS was trying to do here.

While I was doing that, the MU hoses for the main reservoir, independent brake, and trainline air were replaced on both ends.    

Re: 1 : 1 scale modeling - ngauger - 09-10-2017

Nice, dirty work. Smile

Yes, never leave a floating ground! Always secure them.

Otherwise things can get nasty. Shoot

Re: 1 : 1 scale modeling - e-paw - 09-15-2017

A little news related to Steamtown..

The last week tonight show with John Oliver has donated a Scranton themed layout to our local news station , WBRE.

<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://wnep.com/2017/09/11/hey-hbo-we-accept-the-greatest-backyard-train-local-news-has-ever-seen/">http://wnep.com/2017/09/11/hey-hbo-we-a ... ever-seen/</a><!-- m -->

On a sadder note,,, Jerry Jacobson owner, of the Ohio Central railroad has passed away.
<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.ageofsteamroundhouse.com/images/news_PDFs/JJJ_obit_formatted.pdf">http://www.ageofsteamroundhouse.com/ima ... matted.pdf</a><!-- m -->

Re: 1 : 1 scale modeling - e-paw - 09-26-2017

Last Sunday we went to work reconnecting all the hoses and cables that I had just talked about taking apart. last week it was decided to swap out the combo set ( traction motor, gearbox, and axel )
on the #3 motor rather than try to clean it out and replace it. This was done during the week while I was at work, so I missed it. The #3 motor is older than the others on the unit, and also has a worn wheel, so it will go out as a trade in or for a complete rebuild. It did receive a once over with a pressure washer to check for any other damage. As is noticeable in the pic,, even after a washing,, it's still dirty.    

Re: 1 : 1 scale modeling - ngauger - 09-26-2017

Great Pics! Never saw that before.

Re: 1 : 1 scale modeling - e-paw - 09-26-2017

Thanks Ngauger. That's the top set of brush holders and commutator, on the opposite side is the gearbox. There is also another set of brushes on the underside of the motor. I got pulled away from the computer before I could finish the post.

Here is a little home work that I did yesterday for the "B" . While the B was parked in Winslow junction a few years back copper thieves broke in and grabbed everything they could. It looks like they tried to cut one of the airlines from the control valve but gave up part way through. In this pic you can see the damage. At this point all that I have done is go over it with a wire wheel to clean it up.    

After a good torching and a few drips of solder she is all fixed. I also replaced the rubber O-ring .    

I was able to test it up to 120 PSI with my compressor at home and she held just fine.

Also going on in the restoration shop,,, The Boston and Mane 3713's tender has started it's restoration.    

The cistern is being removed so that work can begin.