Building Paper Card Stock Alley...with some "cheating" - Printable Version

+- (https://bigbluetrains.com)
+-- Forum: Branchline (https://bigbluetrains.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=45)
+--- Forum: Scratchbuilding and kitbashing - All Scales (https://bigbluetrains.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=27)
+--- Thread: Building Paper Card Stock Alley...with some "cheating" (/showthread.php?tid=9210)

Building Paper Card Stock Alley...with some "cheating" - tetters - 10-28-2020

Good evening everyone.

I've been pretty tied up the last little while so please excuse the absence.  I decided over this time that I needed to take break from all of the freight car kits and focus on some other projects that could use my attention on the layout.  Namely some structure building.  So i turned to my favorite medium.  Cardstock...or repurposed cereal cardboard.

Below is the area in question that I'd like to tackle.  The goal is to build a back alley scene.  Essentially, show the "business end" of the, well, stores, shops, bars, hotels etc.  While in the ultimate end still giving a casual viewer the idea as to what each building is there for.  I suppose that I could have modeled the fronts of the buildings and created a street scene but that seemed boring to me.  So this is the route I've decided to take.  

I've been using cardboard mock ups to give me an idea of space in each area.  I'm tackling this row of "buildings".  So lets grab a some cereal board, some printable textures, glue and applicators (toothpicks) and some sharp cutting blades, I use a husky box cutter and #11 Exacto blade for the bulk of my cuts.

So, not shown is that some of the textures I simply print off on plain 110lbs. white cardstock paper from Michael's.  However for the walls and bracing I like to glue the textures to some cereal box board using some 3M Super 77 spray on adhesive.  It's fast, tacky as all get and doesn't attack the ink jet printer ink on my textures. Stuff like flashing I'll print off on standard 8x11 printer paper as its easier to make fine folds and looks more to scale as metal flashing and such.  I also use various sizes of bass wood, also purchased at Michael's, for bracing and adding some additional support to keep walls straight, etc.

So I made a rough paper template of the area and cut a plywood base to build my models on top of on the work bench.  Essentially, this rather large base would get chopped up into 3 pieces to make things easier to handle and also to help create some elevation in the scene so that the buildings would all sit on the same plane.  I am modeling the Rockies after all.

So fast forward to the above photo and we start to have something that is beginning to look like a building.  I use Tichy and Grandt Line doors and windows to cheat all little and make my life a tad easier.  My creative process works in such a way that I'll look at photos and study buildings that I'd like to model.  Then I get to work.  I know that buildings have various ceiling heights and I usually pick 10ft...because I like high ceilings, at least on the first floors, then I might step it down to 8ft on the upper floors, depending on what I model.  I also take into account that floor joists could be made from 2x8's, 10's or 12's so I factor that into the height of my walls when laying out a wall.  I then pick windows and doors that I like and cut openings to fit, keeping in mind where these things will be in relation to the interior floor. (There isn't one...not really...but lets pretend there is.)  The second floor is an 8' siding texture that I printed off and then layered using the same texture cut into two board strips and glued to the same texture to create that slanted look.  You cant really see it in the photo, but that's what I did.  The stone work for the foundation is linoleum tile cut into 1/4 inch strips and then chopped into bricks.  Then working upside down glue the bricks one by one to the assembled walls using gap filling CA.  (looking back at that photo, the foundation depicted was built up on the plywood base...which I then scrapped off with a chisel, because it occurred to me that it would be easier to do the stone work the other way around then trying to get the walls to fit the one I built in place).

(whew).  So.  My layout takes place during the late 40's early 50's.  So this particular building used to be a occupied by something else...I don't know what, just something...trust me on this one it's the truth I swear it, now its a tavern and next door against the back drop will be Rita's Diner. Which will be tucked into the back drop and just a glimpse of patrons dining on her famous back bacon, eggs and toast breakfast special can be seen.  The building's architecture is based (or will be) off of Victorian influences with a Mansard style roof making up the third floor...but before that...

Lets add those walls for Rita's and show the revised foundation built for the buildings. Ill use trim and stone work to hide all manner of sins on the corners of the building to hide the gaps.  But for now I'm going to break up this into a couple of separate posts for everyone's sanity...but mostly my for my own.

RE: Building Paper Card Stock Alley...with some "cheating" - tetters - 10-28-2020

Part 2.

Where was I?

The pictures may be out of order here.  However this pic gives you an idea of the come of the creative "clamping" methods I use put things together.  My Fastracks tools dont do much these days, however the tool steel they are made out of is heavy and they are relatively straight and square after making dozens of turnouts.  Paired with some 1,2,3 blocks and, "HOT DOG! We have a wiener!" This sort of gives a shot of the insides, which is simply some of that basswood bracing and some floor templates to use as floors and ceilings to help support the shape of the building.

In this picture I'm starting on the next door neighbor, which is a grocer.  Next to the grocer will be a hardware store.  I'm trying to keep the roof heights varied to break up the roof lines a bit and give each building its own unique look. I almost forgot to note that I added the trim work to the tavern, using some white 1x8 strip wood, and also made some stone work on the corners, which was simply some concrete texture that I cut to look like blocks that I could fold around the corners.  It really tidied up the corners quite nicely.  It was also around this stage of the build that I decided I wanted to do something different with the roof of the tavern and give it a Mansard style roof.  So today is when I tackled that aspect of the build.

So I made a template and printed a copy of a copy until I could fit multiple template that I could use to make the truss segments.  I probably went overboard with the construction of this roof, however I feel like I was starting to hit my stride here.  So, once I printed off the paper templates I prepared some cereal box, sprayed on some Super 77 and stuck the templates onto the cardboard. 

After some careful measurements, assembly I ended up with this rather robust roof truss system to make up my roof.

I decided to test fit it and weight it down on the building. while the glue continued to dry.  I haven't glued the roof in place yet at this point and won't until I've finished the details on the roof.  

Added the sides one at a time and held each side in place for a few minutes to allow the glue to tack up.

Some gratuitous shots of the "buildings" on the layout...I've separated the different bases at this point to make some elevation changes to the scene as well.  The road from the town interior slopes down to the alley which boarders the railroad.  The alley then will then gradually slope down across this particular grouping of buildings.  One of the challenges building this is that I'm "curving" the row of buildings which would in many ways be straight across.  However I want to follow the road mock up I've put down and perhaps inadvertently introduce some forced perspective.  I don't know if that will work, but I'm wiling to give it a try.  

That's all for now.  I've been working on this on and off for the last three or four days.  I'm pretty happy with how its coming along so far.  I plan on added windows and dormers to the Mansard roof to add additional "living space" up top. I'm looking forward to tackling that detail and then moving on to laying down some diamond patterned shingles, adding a brick chimney and small sloped roof in the center typical of Mansard style roof designs.  If its one thing I found while looking into them ...there are numerous variations and no two are alike.  So I've tried to keep the roof design as simple as I can.  Anyways.  I hope to have made further progress in the next few days.

Take care folks.

RE: Building Paper Card Stock Alley...with some "cheating" - Schraddel - 10-29-2020

That curvature on your layout at least will generate a prototypical appereance of this row of houses. As i see on the backgrounds, you layout is situated in mountainous terrain. And there the usual grid is often not exercisable due, of course mountainous, terrain.
Worship Applause 

Lutz

RE: Building Paper Card Stock Alley...with some "cheating" - ngauger - 10-29-2020

Thumbsup Thumbsup They look great!  Can't wait to see more of your work!

RE: Building Paper Card Stock Alley...with some "cheating" - doctorwayne - 10-29-2020

Those are some great looking structures, Shane, and obviously pretty strongly-built, too.   Applause Applause Applause

Wayne

RE: Building Paper Card Stock Alley...with some "cheating" - Tyson Rayles - 10-29-2020

2285_ Thumbsup Applause

RE: Building Paper Card Stock Alley...with some "cheating" - tetters - 10-29-2020

Managed to get some more done on the anchor building for my alley scene.

Today I banged off the dormers to go on the slope of the roof.  It took sometime and a couple of redo's but I managed to pull it off.

But first.  The unattractive underbelly of it all.  It's the parts that you don't see.  The copious amounts of glue, sloppy joints.  Yet somehow...

I again used a generous helping of creative license here.  I thought to start out I'd construct a dormer that had two windows. The windows in this one however didn't line up so well with the windows underneath.  yeah, my goal was/is to line up the windows with each other as you see in so many homes and buildings constructed in this manner.  So before it was too late I pulled it off and started over again.

So here is the new layout and above that is one I pulled off.  The second picture shows the three pieces that make up the dormer...two skinny sides that match the slope of the roof and the top cap.  The second attempt was not perfect, however it was good enough so I affixed it to the roof.

Out of all of this the most daunting was making the curves for the dormers that would go with the curved windows I picked that matched the second floor. Yet some how I managed.  Cutting the rounds requires as brand new sharp blade, patience and marking down accurate lines to follow on the piece. I'm still cutting by hand mind you, but those three things make the whole process easier to manage.  I do apologize for the lack of pics to document this process.

I'm not going to lie.  Adding these took some time to make.  But I'm glad I did make them.  They already help give the structure a finished look IMHO.  For the dormer for Rita's Diner I had to make sure I picked the right color and not just grab some of the green clapboard texture. Not that that really matters as eventually, I'll layer the siding on the dormer.  Another challenge I had was selecting a material for the curved bits over the two tavern dormers.  Eventually I discovered that 600 wet/dry sandpaper makes for the perfect covering.  So, I in a sense applied tarpaper over these areas.  Which if you look closely has been affixed in the next photo. I intend to paint the exposed edges and surfaces as well as add some 1x4 white trim pieces to help tie things together with the whole biilding.  Oh...making those curved 1x4 white trim pieces to go under the eave (soffit?) of the dormers...what fun.

Finally, one last gratuitous on the layout shot.  I really like how this is progressing so far.  I may still tackle a few things after dinner but for now thats all.  

Take care everyone.

RE: Building Paper Card Stock Alley...with some "cheating" - tetters - 11-02-2020

I've managed to spend some more time on this project.  Sometimes you get caught up in the little details, trim, flashing...that kinda stuff.  Cutting and gluing walls together is one thing...adding the details is another am I right?

I was going to cut my own shingles, however after I spent about 15 minutes, cutting one "course" of shingles I decided my sanity was not worth it the effort this was going to require.  So I ordered a couple of cedar shingle sheets off Northeastern Scale Lumber. (I've used their products before and was pleased with them, so why not?)  When those arrive I can finish off the roof on the Tavern/Restaurant building. I also modified the roof of the tavern as I didn't like how it overhung onto the Grocers Roof.  It occurred to me that perhaps once upon a time there was an older building next to the tavern that was torn down...so in order to modify the exterior the builders decided to wall it in and paint the clapboard siding to match the existing siding on the building.  At least the rationale I'm going with.   Icon_e_biggrin   I also built a chimney for the building, made out of some basswood that I laminated with a brick pattern and then layered other courses of brick around the top.  I used some 1/8 dowel cut into small stacks that I then painted black.  I plan on putting a slope style roof in the center of the roof area and give it a green weathered patina look to finish the major structure parts for that building.  The Grocer (yellow brick) next door is pretty much it, I need to add a roof texture and roof details however, that's all it's going to need.  I also started cutting and assembling the walls for The Hardware Store which I just finished putting together today.  I went with a dark brick and brown clapboard siding up top with a 2ft overhang at the back. The beauty of building like this is a structure I'd normally need to layer the clapboard siding around the entire exterior I can just leave flat because the buildings are getting just butted up against each other.  I just apply siding to the exposed areas and call it done.

That's it for now.  Take care everyone.    

RE: Building Paper Card Stock Alley...with some "cheating" - UP SD40-2 - 11-02-2020

WOW!, Shane, I am totally impressed with the card stock buildings Worship Applause .

I use styrene for just about everything, but the quality your getting using cardstock is really giving me some ideas, Great Job! Icon_e_biggrin

My only concern is how will cardstock stuff hold up in a pretty much not great heated Wisconsin basement? Its not freezing down there, but it can get kinda cold through the winter.

RE: Building Paper Card Stock Alley...with some "cheating" - tetters - 11-02-2020

Thanks Deano!

As for a cold Wisconsin basement? I honestly have no idea how well the cardstock will hold up. For my part, before I finally affix the finished windows in place I plan on sealing the structures with dull coat. If anything to offer some level of protection and help them last as long as possible. I'll carefully mask off the openings and use my airbrush spray the insides a flat black primer to further help seal things. I too am curious as to how they will fare over time.

That said, the water tower and the coaling tower in the foreground were built several years (?) ago using similar methods and have so far held up nicely.

RE: Building Paper Card Stock Alley...with some "cheating" - UP SD40-2 - 11-02-2020

Sealing it with paint, hmm, never thought of that, seems like it would definitely help, Thank you!  Icon_e_biggrin

RE: Building Paper Card Stock Alley...with some "cheating" - BR60103 - 11-02-2020

I have a card engine shed kit that I built in high school which puts it near 60 years ago. It's stood up well except that the joints started to fall apart a few years ago. This may be because I used plastic cement on it (can't be sure anymore) but I've used some Rocket glue to put it back together.

I don't like to paint card because it starts to warp on me.

Well.  I fully intended to add the roof texture and flashing to the roofs of the smaller buildings tonight, however I elected to dress up the windows a bit more on the hardware store instead with some strip wood and "concrete" card stock for the sills on the lower ones.  I was glad I tackled that bit of detail, that said, I was pretty much done after that for tonight. So elected to run some trains instead.

Budd RDC #9050 caught leaving the station heading into the mountains onto her next stop.

Along the way #9050 meets ol' timer 0-8-0 #6931 grabbing a cut of cars from the local yard to do the local job in town.

#6931 hitting the double cross over onto the branchline to switch the locals.  She'll occupy the line for a few hours as she switches out the industries in town.

Finally.  We see #9050 one last time as the Budd car heads out of town past the car float transfer slip operation as the crew readies the train to unload it from the float.

Have a great night all.

RE: Building Paper Card Stock Alley...with some "cheating" - tetters - 11-07-2020

Soldiering on here...

I started to work on the Department Store for my Alley Row Scene.  

So, a few nights ago I started building these walls...however thought they looked too industrial park to me and not enough small town downtown.  I went back and looked a photos of buildings in the area and the type of exterior construction and made the decision to use brick through out for the exterior.  So back to the cutting mat.

So here is what I came up with.  I used some of the "concrete" pattern to make the indication of "floors" on the outside, but also to break up the brick pattern.  I did not use all the windows I placed here.  I decided to keep it as simple as possible.

I also decided to add a small loading dock to the back as well to help break up the wall and add some detail to the back.

I made an I-Beam to span the distance across the width of the dock to support the bricks as I didn't want it to appear as if they were floating across the span.  The dock has over 11 scale feet of clearance.  It has enough clearance to accommodate a piggyback trailer and most delivery trucks I have so I'm good with that.  

So, I believe at this point I've assembled the walls and may have added the floor bracing inside the interior.  Since then I've added the card stock for the roof which I'm gluing up right now.  That's all for now.  Take care everyone.

RE: Building Paper Card Stock Alley...with some "cheating" - Tyson Rayles - 11-08-2020

"I don't like to paint card because it starts to warp on me. "

Usually if you paint both sides it will stop that.