The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #IX.. Stop In!!! - Printable Version

+- (https://bigbluetrains.com)
+-- Forum: The Depot (https://bigbluetrains.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Forum: Hobo's Camp (https://bigbluetrains.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=39)
+--- Thread: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #IX.. Stop In!!! (/showthread.php?tid=9237)

RE: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #IX.. Stop In!!! - ngauger - 11-11-2021

(11-11-2021, 05:12 AM)ezdays Wrote: Am heading to Mo Money Pawn Shop today. They just opened their new store and are giving a $25 discount to any current customer that spends $75, and my shooting buddy says they have lots of ammo and no limits.....

Uh, gas jumps here in leaps and bounds, the norm is now $3.69, and goes up ten cents every few days.

Take care, have a fine day today....

Big Grin  I had to read that twice....  I'm thinking if it's a new store, how do they have current customers?
I finally "got it"  it's their second store  Smile Smile

Gas is nuts here too and we're closer to the refineries.   it goes up a few cents every few days.  Depending on where you buy it, it's from $3.19  (no name gas station) to  $3.59 (for all stations within 5 miles)

RE: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #IX.. Stop In!!! - FiatFan - 11-11-2021

Happy Veterans Day, gang.

40 and windy at the moment headed for 48 and very windy with winds up to 40 mph. Got over 3/4 inch of rain yesterday.

Got another batch of leaves picked up yesterday and finished up just as it started to sprinkle. Then started cleaning for visitors on Thanksgiving. After supper I took a nice long walk n the rain. Very pleasant. No walk or bike ride today with the high winds. About 10 minutes ago the software finished recovering my data from the failed NAS drive. Took about 19 hours and I did lose a few things but I think I have back ups for those. Gym this morning and then more cleaning.

All stay safe.

Tom

RE: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #IX.. Stop In!!! - ezdays - 11-11-2021

(11-11-2021, 07:31 AM)ngauger Wrote:
(11-11-2021, 05:12 AM)ezdays Wrote: Am heading to Mo Money Pawn Shop today. They just opened their new store and are giving a $25 discount to any current customer that spends $75, and my shooting buddy says they have lots of ammo and no limits.....

Uh, gas jumps here in leaps and bounds, the norm is now $3.69, and goes up ten cents every few days.

Take care, have a fine day today....

Big Grin  I had to read that twice....  I'm thinking if it's a new store, how do they have current customers?
I finally "got it"  it's their second store  Smile Smile

Close my friend, but not quite. Actually, they built a new store behind the old one and just moved across the parking lot. The old one was big, but a hodge-podge of add-ons. They sent out text messages to everyone in their computer, just that I have yet to get any texts on my landline... Nope  Fortunately, my friend and my son both did.

RE: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #IX.. Stop In!!! - tompm - 11-12-2021

Good morning folks

It is 61 and raining. High will be 64 with rain.

I have not dropped in here for most of the week. We have been having a rough time. My wife has been sick since Tuesday evening. She has been running a fever since then that has been as high as 104 at times. She has not been below 99.5 since this began. She has a headache along with aches and pains throughout her body. She has had a few bouts of breathing issues, but her rescue inhalers and nebulizer treatments have kept them from getting severe. She has periods usually when her temperature is elevated where she is shivering.

She had a negative covid test Wednesday morning. She was given another covid test yesterday afternoon when we visited urgent care, but we have not gotten the results. She got her covid booster and flu shot on Saturday.

We have been on the phone numerous times with her doctor’s office. At first, we got another doctor in the practice who is not her doctor. She was not helpful. In the end her only suggestion was to go to the ER. This discussion was through a telemed “visit” because according to the receptionist they can’t have sick people in the doctor’s office.

Last evening her doctor called, and we had a long conversation. Frankly at this point he is stumped. He does not believe it is covid. I could be a reaction to the vaccines, but it is outside the normal time period for reaction. Lastly it could be a virus or infection of some type causing the problem. They gave her antibiotics and there is no change. As part of the conversation, he went over when it is time to go to hospital. He basically gave us symptoms and other signs to look for and what we should do.

Needless to say, I am exhausted. I have been on the couch all week as she won’t let me sleep in the bed just in case. The real downer is the feeling of helplessness as I can only watch and make phone calls. Part of me wishes it was covid because at least then we would know what we are dealing with and what to do about it.

I have tried to work on the layout and run trains in an effort to relax in some way. I did get the roadbed down in the area of the passenger station. I still have to glue it down. I tried to run a train last night, but the locomotive basically died. At first I thought is might be the number of cars on the train but even running light it barely moves. It ran fine two months ago. I am going to do some track and wheel cleaning. I also will check the track to make sure there are no shorts or something causing a problem. I have a feeling there is something going on with the gears and I might be looking at giving the loco a good cleaning and tune up.

I hope everybody has a good day.

RE: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #IX.. Stop In!!! - FiatFan - 11-12-2021

Hang on to your hats, gang!

Good morning, all. 32 in the remote reaches of northern Iowa this morning. Right now its' a cloudy 32 degrees with 30-40 mph winds predicted for today. There's a half inch of snow on the ground but the rapidly warming temperature will cure that as it climbs to a blistering 33. Yeah, not gonna be a nice day.

The weather is about the only topic of conversation this morning. Yesterday was routine and today looks to be the same.

All stay safe.

Tom

Edit to add: Prayers for your wife Tom. We posted almost simultaneously.

RE: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #IX.. Stop In!!! - ngauger - 11-12-2021

Wow Tom!!

Prayers for you both!!
Take care!

RE: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #IX.. Stop In!!! - ezdays - 11-12-2021

Good  morning everyone, Tom, I don't know what to say that would help you get through this, but you know that you both are in our prayers. I hope they find what her problem is and she recovers quickly.

My son (duffy) and I did go to Mo Money Pawn Shop yesterday, got within a few blocks and the road was closed, went around to the right, roads are closed, went north, roads are closed. Cars circling and driving all around, dead ends and roads closed. No warning signs anywhere, even Google didn't show these closures, then we realized there was a Veterans Day parade getting ready to march down Central Ave. and ending right about where we were headed. Went home, and tried again after the parade broke up, still lots of traffic but we got there OK. The had lots of ammo, not only got $25 discount for asking, but got the normal veteran's discount as well. Well worth the second trip. Got a free vet's breakfast at Denny's, and a vet's discount where we stopped for dinner. Many, many, "Thank you for your service", replies made me feel proud and appreciated to be an American yesterday.

Not much else going on, temps still a bit over average, just one appointment this morning, then nothing more planned for the entire weekend. Just go with the flow.

Take care and stay safe....

RE: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #IX.. Stop In!!! - sir james - 11-12-2021

Tom could be the shots if both were taken at the same time. I sure pray she feels better soon.
Hello Blue
No major news events here, just checking in.
Was 67 yesterday, may not see that again for a long time. Sunny today @ 49 degrees.
More rain yesterday evening.
Club meet tomorrow. It's really nice having so many train nuts nearby.
S.J.

RE: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #IX.. Stop In!!! - FiatFan - 11-13-2021

Greetings, gang.

Cloudy and 28 in the remote reaches of northern Iowa this morning. High for today is supposed to be in the upper 30s. The wind only hit 32 mph yesterday as opposed the the NWS prediction of 40 mph. Not really disappointed about that.

Set a new personal best yesterday while swimming. 25 minutes 7 seconds for a half mile. Should be able to get below 25 minutes soon. Other activities included washing and waxing half of the dining room floor. I'll move the furniture and do the other half today. Ahhh! The exciting life of a swingin' bachelor! Also planned are the usual laundry and college football.

All stay safe.

Tom

RE: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #IX.. Stop In!!! - ezdays - 11-13-2021

Good morning everyone, still looking for above average (high 80's) temps for this weekend, slowly dropping down to the 70's around the middle of next week. Not much going on here right now, got one Fry's (Kroger) station near the house with the lowest gas around, $3.51, even Costco and Sam's Club are higher. Don't know why, other Fry's are $3.69 like most other stations. We have hit the $4.00 mark in a lot of brand stations, I think $3.999 qualifies for that. Just took a quick look around the country with Gas Buddy, I found many states still in the $2.50 range, those folks in California are pushing $5.00. Why such a huge difference?

Tom, I hope your wife is doing better, really weird. Doesn't make sense that they don't want sick people in the doctor's office, I though that's where you're suppose to go when you're sick. Going to the ER now days is no picnic either, but you do what you have to do to get the help you need. Just all of a sudden, on top of Covid-19, lots of folks are piling in to see doctors and filling up the ER's beyond capacity. Want to see my doctor, you're looking at a couple of months out, want to see one of his PA's, you're still looking at a week or so, that's why the ER is so congested. Good luck my friend...

Gotta go make breakfast, don't know what, but I'll find something. Just going to take it easy today, may start a new building kit just so I can sit in one place for a while. Could lay some track, just not feeling up to that right now and I have a spooky idea of what to do with the one DPM kit I have left. Yeah, I did say "spooky"....

Take care everyone and enjoy the weekend.....

RE: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #IX.. Stop In!!! - BR60103 - 11-13-2021

The news tonight says that the Waterloo Central Railway is running a lit-up Christmas train. It's also running during the day. Times and boarding stations are apparently on the internet. (This is north of Waterloo, Ontario.)

RE: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #IX.. Stop In!!! - ezdays - 11-14-2021

And a good Sunday morning to everyone. Still a bit warmer than normal, haven't had the A/C or furnace on in weeks. There are years that this is only a few days, so this is a blessing of sorts.

Only change in gas prices here is that Costco has gone up to $3.64. only five cents below most others. A few months ago, they were 30 cents cheaper. Can't figure that one out.

Would love to see that Christmas train, but I doubt that I would even be able to clear airport security by that time, plus no direct flights from Phoenix to Waterloo, Ontario. I think Phoenix will have their annual Christmas lights parade this year where all the floats and people are decked out in lights. There's usually a train float in the bunch.

Congratulations Tom, my personal bests includes being able to repeatedly get out of bed in the morning. I envy your ability to do what you do, keep it up my friend. I have been contemplating joining the, "Silver and Fit" thing offered by my insurance company at no cost, but I'm not sure I even have the energy to change into exercise clothes when I get there, never mind actually doing any exercising. Icon_cry

Watched a bit of football yesterday, Arizona State wasn't doing that well when I switched to the Notre Dame game. I guess I should have continued to watch since ASU beat Washington late in the game, giving them a shot at a bowl game.

Y'all have a pleasant day today.

RE: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #IX.. Stop In!!! - FiatFan - 11-14-2021

Greetings, gang.

Cloudy, blustery, and 30 headed for less cloudy and less blustery but not much warmer with a predicted high of only 34. Much warmer tomorrow and Tuesday then a return to more fall-appropriate temperatures for the remainder of the week.

Finished scrubbing and waxing the dining room floor. Looks really good. Also made a Walmart run after I did some maintenance work around my wife's head stone. I was working toward a goal of having everything done so I could sit down at 2:30 and watch college football. Finally discovered my team has a bye week so I took some yard waste to the disposal site and stopped at Menards for a few things. Not much on the agenda for today other than a follow up trip to the cemetery. I like to get done early on Saturday or Sunday since there is a restaurant right across the street and I prefer not to do this while everyone can watch me.

Don - thanks for the kind words. I always had active jobs when I was working and for quite a while after I retired. The lack of activity was slowly catching up to me so my wardrobe put me on this path. I am down to within 2 pounds of my original goal of 165. With the holiday eating season fast approaching I just hope I can stay reasonable close to that.

All stay safe.

Tom

RE: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #IX.. Stop In!!! - sir james - 11-14-2021

Hello Blue
Cloudy, wet snow/rain for today. Temp is 36 so it's not going to stick.
Our club meet was well attended, the layout has a good track plan, scenery has just begun.
S.J.

RE: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #IX.. Stop In!!! - Amalynn - 11-14-2021

I’m back at work and on the road, now. Getting loaded at a Coca-Cola bottling plant in Kansas City, MO this afternoon and then heading to Memphis. Got shut down by extreme winds in Kansas a couple days ago. It was blowing at 35-45 mph all day!