The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #IX.. Stop In!!! - Printable Version

+- (https://bigbluetrains.com)
+-- Forum: The Depot (https://bigbluetrains.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Forum: Hobo's Camp (https://bigbluetrains.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=39)
+--- Thread: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #IX.. Stop In!!! (/showthread.php?tid=9237)

RE: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #IX.. Stop In!!! - FiatFan - 01-06-2021

Greetings, gang.

Light rain/freezing drizzle in the remote reaches of norther Iowa this morning. 33 right now and it any get to anywhere from 34 to 37 depending on which forecast one looks at.

Got to my son's yesterday and just looked at the mess. I did manage to get a few shelves in a linen closet cleaned out but there's so much stuff there and I don't know who wants what. Came back home. My next idea is to set up a zoom or skype call so family can pick and chose. Maybe take along a couple of people to help document it so we can get things to the right people.

This morning I need to make a Walmart/grocery run. After that if I still have ambition I'll go to the gym. This afternoon I'll be watching the antics in congress.

All stay safe.

Tom

RE: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #IX.. Stop In!!! - Charlie B - 01-06-2021

Good afternoon everyone. 
         I finally got a good day to burn scrap wood yesterday and that was an all day job. I could not have had a better day, ground completely saturated and everything wet so a chance of a fire spreading was zero. It wasn't even too cold so I spent 6 hours just kind of enjoying a fire.  I didn't even cook a hot dog  Icon_mad but I am glad that job is done. 

My cousin came out and brought some more goodies to scan. He had come up with some stuff for a mine operation that ended in 1917.  They mined the coal on one side of a creek and there was a mine railroad 2 or 3 hundred feet to a structure where the coal was transported by a cable trolley across the valley where it was loaded on railcars and taken to the power plant that served the interurban in our area. There was another opening on the other side of the mine that shipped coal too, probably to heat all the homes in the area. We have pictures of our great aunt on the tipple after it was taken out of service. 

USPS delivered a new Baldwin RS 12 that I got a good deal on Ebay so I will have to put a decoder in it and get it painted and ready to run at some period. 

It's another dreary day here and just damp and miserable so it is a good day to scan pictures.

Cheers to all
Charlie

RE: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #IX.. Stop In!!! - ezdays - 01-07-2021

Good morning everyone. Not much going on here, working a bit on the sporting goods store for my grandson-in-law and great-grandson to be. I hope I get it finished before he's born. Also got the gun part installed in my broken gun. Everyone likes to shoot that one, it's so accurate that it's almost like cheating when you do shoot it. We'll find out Monday when we got out again. Should be in the mid to high 60's there, the closest "town", if you can call it that, is Tonopah, population, 60, with a density of about 1.4 people per square mile. When we get of off I-10, we pass maybe six houses along a five-mile stretch to the area where we shoot. Several years ago, one of Bill Gates' companies bought up some 25,000 acres for $80 million there which included our shooting area. It was immediately posted, but about a year ago, the signs were removed and not another word was heard about Bill Gates' "Smart City" with self-driving cars and the latest technology.

Anyway, everyone have a great day today, stay safe and hope you get your vaccine shot soon. We have about a half-million does here in Arizona and we're still waiting for word as to who gets what and when.

RE: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #IX.. Stop In!!! - FiatFan - 01-07-2021

Greetings, gang.

Cloudy and 27 headed for cloudy and 32. Similar conditions are expected for the next several days. I'd rather have it cloudy and warm than sunny and below zero.

Grocery store and gym yesterday. After lunch I paid some bills and then walked them to the mailbox just for something to do. This morning I'll head to the gym again but the rest of the day's agenda is written in pencil so it can be easily changed.

All stay safe,

Tom

RE: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #IX.. Stop In!!! - tompm - 01-07-2021

Good morning folks

It is 34 with a high of 42.

Spent much of yesterday watching the news. When I had enough, I wandered down to the basement. I moved 5 Proto 1000 coal hoppers to the workbench to be weathered. I had sealed them the other night. I sealed two RF&P Atlas Trainman covered grain hoppers and a Athearn RTR Reading Heavy Duty Flat Car. They will be next to be weathered. After them I have four Intermountain covered grain hoppers, two Red Caboose tank cars, two Bowser PRR stock cars, and four Bachmann Poultry shipping cars to weather. This will finish all the RTR cars in the original Wall of Trains on the workbench. There are a few newly added cars that I purchased recently and will weather at a later time.

I also worked on a newly acquired loco. It is an older Atlas GP-38 done in Penn Central. I picked it up cheaply with the intention of removing the PC lettering and redoing it as a PRSL loco once I get some PRSL logos. The PRSL GP-38’s only had a logo and a number on each side and were black. They also had a logo on the front. The “new” loco did not want to run at first but after some prodding it ran. I did a wheel cleaning and afterward it ran well. I think I will still need to give it a good cleaning and lube.

I ran some trains. I ran a twenty-car coal drag pulled by my newer Proto 2000 LNE FA1 ad FB1. If all goes well, I will make a video and take some stills.

My packages are getting closer. There is one out for delivery that was shipped December 20th. I have four in Philadelphia, one in Champaign, IL and another in Bismarck, ND.

I have a few chores to do around the house today such as some laundry. Not sure if I have to make a run anywhere today.

The shop lights are supposed to arrive today.

I hope everybody has a good day.

RE: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #IX.. Stop In!!! - Chief Eagles - 01-07-2021

41 and sunny.  Mix coming tonight late and into tomorrow.  

Errands and finish the Train Box project.  Mainly extending jumper from a couple of buildings to the power sources.  Then clean up.

Sadden by the attack from within.  No matter who you supported, this was an act of terrorism.  Hope people and person is held accountable.  This is America and not some foreign country.  

Hope all stay safe and God bless.

RE: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #IX.. Stop In!!! - sir james - 01-07-2021

Hello Blue
It's been a gloomy 35 today. We are hoping for some sun tomorrow. But at least we have no  snow.

We wandered out a few times this week for shopping but other than that we stay home. We do miss eating out once in awhile.
No train running recently except under the Christmas tree.
S.J.

RE: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #IX.. Stop In!!! - ezdays - 01-08-2021

Well, here we are on another Friday, so good Friday morning to ya all. Hard to believe, but I'm in the middle of planning events for early June. Yeah, it'll be here before you know it, got to plan early I guess.

Gas prices jumped ten cents yesterday, most stations that were at $2.27 are now up to $2.37. I got to Costco as the tanker truck was there. They were still at $2.09, but I'm guessing that will jump around the time the truck leaves.

Been trying to find out when our state will issue a schedule on us getting our vaccine shots. There are no announcements, a few fleeting mentions in the news, but on the county website, I find I'm in group 1B, third tier behind teachers, law enforcement and firefighters. Their website says you can make an appointment but they aren't ready yet, don't even have assigned locations, so I spent maybe fifteen or twenty minutes filling out all the stuff they asked for and then the last click doesn't work, so you do all that for nothing. Some folks are already getting their second shot while many are just looking for a time when they can get their first one.

RE: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #IX.. Stop In!!! - FiatFan - 01-08-2021

Greetings, gang.

Another in a long string of cloudy, gloomy days. 26 now with a high predicted to be around 30.

Boring day yesterday and today looks to be the same. Trying to get family organized to dispose of my son's belongings. Herding cats is easier. I understand they all have busy lives but how long does it take to answer an e-mail.

Gas price her jumped 14 cents yesterday - $2.14 to $2.27.

All stay safe.

Tom

RE: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #IX.. Stop In!!! - Chief Eagles - 01-08-2021

42 and sun peeping out.  Misting something now.  Had a mix earlier.  Early computer meeting.  Was longer than planned. 

Off to the Train Box as so messy outside.  Didn't get to work there yesterday as suddenly things filled up and errands to run.  

Wifey got to see Colin Powell on Today show.  Smart man.  Should have been President.  She says he told it like it is and made on bones about it. 

Gas prices jumping up so oil companies can make more profit.  No control.

Tom, good luck with the estate thingy.

Have a good one.

RE: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #IX.. Stop In!!! - tompm - 01-08-2021

Good morning folks

Temperature is 32 going to 40. The sun is out which thus far this year is unusual.

Brought down the bins for the Christmas decorations. We will start with the inside ones except the tree. The tree is last because of the order I have to put the bins back in the attic. Outside ones will get done when I feel like dealing with the cold.

Our refrigerator is not making ice. We can still get water through the door, but the ice tray will not fill up with water. It maybe time to think about a new one. Tried to get ahold of repairman but they are all busy and want $100 to $200 to walk in the door. Some of them want that money in advance. I have never been happy with the current fridge. We have had problems with the drawer staying in place and the door shelves/bins cracking. We got it in a rush about 10 years ago because its predecessor died the day before Thanksgiving.

My son is building some buildings for me. He was hoping to do them before Christmas, but they did not get delivered until this week. He has finished the Walthers Apartment background building. He has two more to go. Thus far he has done a good job. Decals, weathering, and detailing are up to me.

I placed a reservation for Rapido’s AMTRAK’s 50th Anniversary E8A. It is a model of the first locomotive painted for AMTRAK. It is black with the AMTRAK arrow. Unusual but cool. It of course comes with all the bells and whistles. Rapido originally announced they were going to make only 500 and those sold out in less than 48 hours. AMTRAK complained that many of their retirees and employees who wanted them could not get them. Rapido changed their mind and is taking orders until January 15th.

The shop lights arrived. Now to install them.

Thus far no packages delivered.

I hope everybody has a good day.

RE: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #IX.. Stop In!!! - FiatFan - 01-09-2021

Greetings, gang.

Cloudy (again) and 20 outside my window. Headed for continued cloudy and 25.

Gym yesterday morning and a walk in the afternoon. Finally making some (slight) progress with family. Daughter and I are heading to eastern Iowa this afternoon to do some cleaning/sorting/throwing. Participation here may be somewhat limited for the next couple of days. Also the family has decided to delay the memorial service at least until February. The governor has extend assembly restrictions until at least Feb. 6th.

All stay safe.

Tom

RE: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #IX.. Stop In!!! - ezdays - 01-09-2021

Good morning, Saturday, slept in again, almost an hour this time. If for no other reason, I like Saturdays because I do sleep in a bit longer. Nothing on my schedule that can't wait, staying in for breakfast, so why not sleep in?

Worked on my structure a bit, it's in the half-built rough stage right now. Looking around for something I can use for a roof, just don't feel like driving 20 miles one way to the nearest hobby shop and not be sure they'll have anything when I get there. Their website shows very little train stuff. They're mostly into RC cars there. Too many trains shops have closed around here, I guess I could order something, just hate to place an order for a few sheets of styrene. but I don't need anything else right now. Ah-hah, I just got an idea that might work. Huh

Getting ready to go target shooting on Monday, also Monday is the day I can register to get a vaccine shot. I heard yesterday that they are going to set up at the Cardinal's stadium to give shots. They won't need it for post-season football again this year. Nope I'm not a Cardinal fan, not even any football team fan, just that when you pay your quarterback $30,000,000, you should expect some return on your investment.

Take care, have a great weekend, stay away from snow shovels and above all, stay safe.... Goldth

RE: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #IX.. Stop In!!! - Chief Eagles - 01-09-2021

40 and sunny.  NO SNOW so guessers missed it again.  All was west of us.  Nothing much on agenda today.

I did it.  Finished [even with lots of phone calls] lighting my new buildings.  Got a couple of old ones in the back corner to do now.  Menards easy to do.  MTH ones have the "clips" you press down and slide the wire through like the old Lionel ones.  Only thing is, clips so small the wire will hardly go through.  May go back to Train Box and do some more work.  Cold out and too wet.

Hope all have a great weekend and stay safe.

RE: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #IX.. Stop In!!! - ezdays - 01-10-2021

Good morning all. A beautiful day yesterday in spite of the wind. Shirtsleeve weather from late morning through early evening. It's "as advertised" for sure.

Productive day yesterday, had to deal with some changes at the bank. The bank lobby is closed and all business is conducted in the drive-thru, which sometimes can be a pain if someone has a complex transaction and holds up the line.  Also, my son says, "welcome to the 21st century", I got some smart switches as a Christmas present and bought some smart outlets. We installed a few of them and now I can tell Alexa "good morning" and some lights come on, "I'm going to bed", and they go out. I can turn on power to my layout from any room in the house or actually anywhere in the world with my cell phone. Got a few more to install, need to add a smart lock to the front door and a smart controller for the garage door. I've got that "did I unplug the iron" syndrome, but with locking doors, especially the garage. The last house we had, I would close the garage door and come back to find it open. A faulty sensor would cause it to reverse while I was driving away. Now, old age makes me forget if I did or didn't do something, a check on my cell phone will let me know for sure. Applause 

Still working on the sporting goods store, I have a solution for the roof using material that I already have. I'll post something in my build thread later today.

Take care and have a great day.