The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #IX.. Stop In!!! - Printable Version

+- (https://bigbluetrains.com)
+-- Forum: The Depot (https://bigbluetrains.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Forum: Hobo's Camp (https://bigbluetrains.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=39)
+--- Thread: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #IX.. Stop In!!! (/showthread.php?tid=9237)

RE: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #IX.. Stop In!!! - tompm - 01-28-2022

Good morning folks

It is a cold 26 going to 35. I hate to say it but it does feel like snow. We will be under a Winter Storm Warning as of 7 PM tonight. Snow accumulation predictions are still all over the place from 3 to 6, 4-to 8, 4 to 11. As usual we will just wait and see.

I got the tree down and boxed. Now I just need to get it down to the basement. The wife bought a couple of end tables for the living room that came yesterday to replace a couple of old wobbly ones. I guess I may be building them today.

Added a few details to the coal trestle. I think I also figured out how I am going to get the track to it. It will involve a grade of about 5.5%. I need to make a base for the coal yard. I opened the Golden Valley Canning Company kit. I hope to work on it some today.

I have to run to Kohl's to drop off an Amazon return and make a grocery store run.

I hope everybody has a good day.

RE: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #IX.. Stop In!!! - FiatFan - 01-28-2022

Greetings, gang.

Clear and just a little cool this morning at -11 with a wind chill of -23. Supposed to get to the low teens this afternoon.

Pretty quiet day yesterday. This morning I need to go to Menards for some things. Got some good news about my granddaughter last night. Text message from my daughter-in-law reads as follows:

Brain oncologist called about 15 minutes ago with mri results. Five of the brain lesions are gone. The other four are stable or marginally smaller. They are not going to do gamma knife. Want her to do more rounds of chemo and another mri to check progression. They feel the chemo is working so don't want to radiate unless necessary. The breast cancer cells in the breast are dead. The bone mets are stable. There is no evidence of cancer in the lining of the brain or spine. The brain lesions are staying confined to the cerebellum, which her doctors say is rare that it is not spreading to other parts of the brain. We just need to get that under control and I think we will all breath a little easier. Megan will never be 100% cancer free, but if we can get it to a point that it is stable in all parts of her body that will be a blessing.

All stay safe.

Tom

RE: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #IX.. Stop In!!! - Charlie B - 01-28-2022

Good morning Blue
       Tom, it sounds like some improvement for Megan all around. I will keep her in my prayers. 

Days, if you have ocean front property there is a chance you will be rich soon if the Navy follows up in AZ as they are in Ohio. It was on our local news today that they plan a submarine repair facility in Loraine Ohio, and  maintenance facility to support it in Lordstown, Ohio. Now I know you can get a submarine to Loraine via the St. Lawrence Seaway and Welland Canal but my question is why? It takes 8.5 days to sail the 2000+ nautical miles and an additional 16 hours for the Welland Canal. not including the time spent on Lake Ontario.   And to add most years the canal and seaway close due to ice in the winter.  Military intelligence for sure.  

Tompm, Your layout is progressing nicely. How is the new pup doing. Hope he is coming along and hoping your wife is improving too. 

Light snow here this morning but it will clear this afternoon and could get as cold as 4 below tonight. 

I will probably spend the day scanning photos. 

Charlie

RE: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #IX.. Stop In!!! - ezdays - 01-28-2022

(01-28-2022, 08:56 AM)Charlie B Wrote:        Days, if you have ocean front property there is a chance you will be rich soon if the Navy follows up in AZ as they are in Ohio.

Well Charlie, we've been waiting a long time for California to break away and become an island making those folks in Yuma and Lake Havasu City sitting on some valuable ocean property. We our told that could happen when the next "big one" hits.

RE: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #IX.. Stop In!!! - sir james - 01-28-2022

Hello Blue
Not sure when I posted last.
We have sun and a Hi of 19 today. It's been cold and won't reach 32 till Tuesday.
No new snow but it's too cold for what we do have on the ground to melt.
Gonna meet up with some club members tonight for some toy train action.
S.J.

RE: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #IX.. Stop In!!! - tompm - 01-29-2022

Good morning folks

It is 17 and snowing lightly. High today will be 27. We have about 4 or 5 inches on the ground. Not sure how much more we are going to get.

Tom - That is good news about your granddaughter. Will keep her in our prayers hoping for more.

Charlie - The puppy is being a puppy. Getting into trouble everywhere with her energy. Housebreaking is coming along as the number of accidents is going down. She is having fun with her first adventures in the snow.

The wife gets better each day. Breathing issues come very rarely now. She is working on building her stamina right now. She is walking more we just wish she could go out more but between the weather and the covid surge that is not happening at the moment.

Finally got the tree down to the basement. There are a few decorations on the dining room table to be boxed and then all are done.

I worked on adding mortar lines to the Golden Valley Canning Company walls and installing the windows. I hope to add the glass and start assembling the walls.

Once the snow stops it will be time to fire up the snow blower.

RE: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #IX.. Stop In!!! - ezdays - 01-29-2022

Good morning all, did my usual Saturday extra sleep-in. Some old folks take naps, I just save them up for Saturday morning.

Wondered where the wet spots were coming from in the hallway yesterday. Looked up and saw a big bubble in the ceiling. I have a home warranty that I pay every year for such occasions, called them and by golly, a few hours later the plumber shows up. This house was built with PEX plumbing running in the attic and someone put a bend in it that finally split. The warranty covers plumbing repair but not the damaged drywall. It's not bad, I think we (Pat and I) can handle it.

Both Tom's, good news for both of you. Prayers do work, so I hope that both ladies continue to get better and they are in my prayers.

Yesterday was very windy here, got leaves all over the front yard, driveway and in the entryway and garage. The problem is, I don't have any trees on my property and I doubt that I can get any neighbors to come clean up their leaves. Nope

Going to take it easy today, nothing really scheduled until late next week.

Ya' all have a safe and fun weekend.

RE: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #IX.. Stop In!!! - BR60103 - 01-29-2022

Don:
You might ask your insurance company if they cover it. When the pipe to a toilet let go in our old place the insurance covered work on the floor and the ceiling downstairs. It did not cover the new pipe to the toilet. (Not much, and I dd it myself.)

The fellows doing the work had to take out the bathroom fixtures to get at the floor. He said that they were paid to take them ou and put them back, but the insurance didn't insist that they put the same ones back. We had the 40-year-old fixtures replaced.

RE: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #IX.. Stop In!!! - ezdays - 01-30-2022

Good morning everyone, kind of overcast yesterday and felt chilly, but it still got up to 72. I just hope the winds let up and we can enjoy that.

Thanks David, I'll check with them tomorrow, just that the repairs to the ceiling may be less than my deductible. That, plus I read my policy and I'm getting almost $200 a year "no claims" discount, so I can add that into the cost if I go through my insurance. I guess I'll need an estimate before I decide. The plumber wasn't gone five minutes when a guy shows up, "I hear you have a water issue". He shows up ready to check for mold, get the area dry and do the repairs. Who sent him, I haven't a clue. "I'll call you if I need you, goodby".... I guess I could have asked him "how much?", but I just wasn't ready for that yet.

Not much going on today, I was going to clean the garage up, gotta be a bucket of leaves that blew in there plus sawdust from a few projects, but then my son called and may come over to use the table saw, so, I get to watch some football instead.

I hope everyone enjoys their weekend, and the best to you guys back east battling that storm. I hope you didn't lose power like some folks did...

RE: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #IX.. Stop In!!! - tompm - 01-30-2022

Good morning folks

It is a darn cold 8 this morning. Even the puppy did not want to stay out long. She did her business and wanted in right away. High is supposed to be 24.

We got about 5 or 6 inches of snow. Ran the snow blower to clear off the driveway. The kids did the walkways and cleared off the cars. Did a few chores inside the house.

I got the walls assembled and one of the loading docks done on the Golden Valley Canning Company. I want to finish the other loading dock, add a few details and the roof. Then I will move onto the boiler house. The new power pack arrived so I need to figure that out.

RE: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #IX.. Stop In!!! - FiatFan - 01-30-2022

Greetings, gang.

Cloudy and 10 headed for slightly less cloudy and 30.

Not much going on around the world wide headquarters of the Backyard & Southern Railway. Finally figured out how to do the corners for the foot stool I've been recovering. Parts are on order.

All stay safe.

Tom

RE: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #IX.. Stop In!!! - tompm - 01-31-2022

Good morning folks

It is 17 heading up to 30.

Went out last night for a food run and the road were atrocious. Now around here the plowing particularly the township owned roads are bad and the state owned roads are so-so. Last night over 24 hours after the storm many roads both township and state were still snow covered. I guess no one wanted to pay overtime this weekend. Our township is notorious for doing that in the past.

Did a few chores around the house yesterday. Did some vacuuming but had to stop to clean the roller on the vacuum cleaner. It was clogged with hair and strings. I need to vacuum the steps today.

Finished adding the loading docks and their roofs to the Golden Valley Canning Company. I also added an outside stairs and downspouts. I began assembling the walls for the boiler house and painting the water tank. Will continue with these today.

I need to make a grocery store run and a get gas for my car.I wonder how a trip to Delaware will be today considering they got more snow than we did.

RE: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #IX.. Stop In!!! - ezdays - 01-31-2022

Good morning all on this last day of January... Almost time for Walmart to put out the Easter candy, Easter is now less than three months away and they must be itching to get it on the shelves.

No newspaper yesterday, called, got a message, "today's paper will be two hours late due to staffing shortages". Here we are 24 hours later and still no paper. I drove by Arby's around noon the other day, the dining room is closed due to staffing shortages and the drive-thru was clear out into the street. So many jobs open, so many on unemployment, make you wonder and a bit upset that we're paying people more to stay home than they could make working.

Going to call my insurance company today and see what it's going to take to get the ceiling repaired. It's been probably 35 years since I had an insurance claim, actually for the same thing, water damage, and the next year they raised my deductible and my rates. If you listen to their commercials on TV, they're there for us, in reality, not so much.

Time to head out to Brenda's for breakfast. One day we're going to find the doors locked because the cook quit. The new owner has yet to lift a finger to even walk around with a pot of coffee and says nothing to the customers, then the cook says she said that she's not here to make friends and wonders why nobody shows up. She told the cook that she'll give her a raise... well, as soon as she shows a profit.

Take care everyone, have a great week.... Icon_e_biggrin

RE: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #IX.. Stop In!!! - sir james - 01-31-2022

Hello Blue
Just checking in.
11/28 for the day. Doom & Gloom snow forecast on the map for Wed/Thur.
Just think 28 more days and those pesky snowbirds will be leaving. You guys should be glad that they come.
S.J.

RE: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #IX.. Stop In!!! - ezdays - 01-31-2022

(01-31-2022, 08:53 AM)sir james Wrote: Hello Blue
Just checking in.
11/28 for the day. Doom & Gloom snow forecast on the map for Wed/Thur.
Just think 28 more days and those pesky snowbirds will be leaving. You guys should be glad that they come.
S.J.

Sorry about your abundance of snow, you could send some here if there wasn't such a supply chain issue. As for the snowbirds, in 28 days, we'll be in the start of Spring Training and there'll be a flock of new ones jamming or streets and stores. Don't get me wrong, they're good for the economy, just that they take up all the good parking spaces and create long lines at the checkout counters. Misngth