The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #IX.. Stop In!!! - Printable Version

+- (https://bigbluetrains.com)
+-- Forum: The Depot (https://bigbluetrains.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Forum: Hobo's Camp (https://bigbluetrains.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=39)
+--- Thread: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #IX.. Stop In!!! (/showthread.php?tid=9237)

RE: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #IX.. Stop In!!! - tompm - 02-14-2022

Good morning folks

It is 22 going up to 27.

We had a quiet day. Watched a few minutes of the game. Did a couple of small chores around the house.

I finished weathering the buildings and fences for the coal yard. I ordered a couple of things I need to finish the coal yard.

We have to run to the pet store and the grocery.

I hope everybody has a good day.

RE: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #IX.. Stop In!!! - tompm - 02-15-2022

Good morning folks

It is 14 heading up to 32.

It is a crazy world. My daughter's school had a virtual learning day as the building was closed due to threats over the school masking policy over the weekend. Apparently things got really ugly online and the police got involved. She has two delayed opening today so the school can get "resources" in place such as police and counselors. The situation is the top news story on the local news.

We ran to the grocery store and PetSmart yesterday. The grocery store pharmacy was giving out the free government masks so I picked up a pack. Did some house cleaning.

I installed the ramp for the coal trestle. Next may be working on the fences. I have decals to put on the Golden Valley Canning Company buildings. I need to go through my structure kits and decide which one I will building for the challenge.

RE: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #IX.. Stop In!!! - FiatFan - 02-15-2022

Greetings, gang.

Chilly at the moment but warming this afternoon with a high in the mid 40s but with winds in the mid 30s.

Routine day yesterday. I did get rid of the old tv. Very easy process. The web site says closed on Monday and make an appointment. i sent an e-mail expecting a response sometime today. Got a reply within two minutes saying no appointment necessary. Open 7:30 to 4 Monday thru Friday. No confusion there.

All stay safe.

Tom

RE: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #IX.. Stop In!!! - ezdays - 02-15-2022

Good morning all, just about a perfect day yesterday, went target shooting, was warm enough to take our jackets off early, shot for about 3 1/2 hours, very little wind and for some reason, our accuracy had improved substantially over our last session a few weeks ago.

Went through Yelp the other day looking for someone to repair the large hole in my ceiling. I picked one guy and sent him a message, a bit later I started to get email from all sorts of people. Turns out, using Yelp, they will send the same message to many other people of their choosing and don't tell you. One guy that wants to come out has a decent star rating, but everyone of his one-star reviews was due to drywall work, which is what I'm looking for. Anyway, just a warning, if you use Yelp, don't click on the link they give you, try to find the company's web site and go that route otherwise you'll have people trying to contact you that you really didn't want.

Need to do some cleanup work in the garage today, been putting it off for a while, got a ton of leaves that blew in when I had those guys working on the ceiling. Need to get some weeds removed, but there's too many for me to tackle so I'll call someone before the HOA sends me a letter.

Take care, have a great day and prayers for those in need...

RE: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #IX.. Stop In!!! - FiatFan - 02-16-2022

Greetings, gang.

Cloudy and 34 and the temperature will slowly drop to 28 by mid morning and continue to fall to 5 above by tomorrow morning. The temperature will rebound nicely to 50 by Sunday.

Pretty quiet day yesterday. I did order a new gps for my car. It will be my third one. Bought the second one when the new unit was cheaper than upgrading the map in to original one. Bought this one since the old one is dying. Battery no longer holds a charge and I'm concerned I'll lose all the addresses I've collected over the years. the new one also offers free traffic cam updates. Should be here by Friday. Found an online coupon and saved over $60. This morning I need to stop in to Menards and Walmart.

Gas price jumped fro $3.18 to $3.34.

All stay safe.

Tom

RE: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #IX.. Stop In!!! - tompm - 02-16-2022

Good morning folks

It is 23 and actually heading above freezing to 47. Another round of Pennsylvania's bi-polar weather. Looks like highs will be in the 40 to 60 range for the next week or so.

Yesterday was phone call day. I had to call in requests to the doctors' offices to get prescriptions renewed. Call to cancel a doctor's appointment. Call to the folks who installed the new back storm door. The latch is coming apart. The manufacturer is sending a new one to be installed. Today will be a few more calls as I noticed a double charge on my debit card.

I was going to work on adding plaster soaked paper towels to the coal trestle ramp but I could not find my stash of plaster of Paris. I must have used it or it hardened and I tossed it. I did find open containers of Mold-a-Scene and Lightweight Hydrocal. This lead me to doing some more cleaning and straightening up of the stack of supplies. I still have more to do on that subject manner. I did work on inventorying some new acquisitions.

I ordered plaster of Paris from Michaels so I will have to pick it up later today. Hopefully I can work on the ramp tonight.

Wife wants to try to go out for breakfast this morning.

RE: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #IX.. Stop In!!! - ezdays - 02-16-2022

Good morning all, a bit chilly and overcast earlier this morning. No rain yet but still kind of cloudy. According to two reports, one says a 3% chance or rain, the other 80%. How can they possibly be that far apart, yet they are both right whether it rains or not.

Gas, like everything else, is UP. $3.79 is common, I saw one $3.85 this morning. Things are not going to get better for a while it seems.

Screwed up this morning, missed an appointment, called to reschedule and they said they were just concerned if I was OK. I'm normally there ahead of time so I can see why they were concerned.

Need to call a few more people to see who will come out and work on my ceiling. I talked to one guy yesterday, decent price, he's about three weeks out though.

Take care everyone and have a pleasant day....

RE: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #IX.. Stop In!!! - sir james - 02-16-2022

Hello Blue
Only thing on my mind today is the weather. My wife and I seem to have aches and pains this morning.
We have 50 degrees here in lower Michigan. By late evening it's gonna start raining until tomorrow afternoon then turn to snow.
No train news.
S.J.

RE: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #IX.. Stop In!!! - Charlie B - 02-16-2022

Good afternoon. 51 degrees and cloudy heading for 59 today. My work is progressing on the historical society photos and it is finally nice to have them sorted by subject. I still have to delete some duplicates but I am getting to the end of what is already done. I believe there may be at least 12000 more in the collection to scan and then there is a question of getting the photos from the other 2 societies collections so we can have everything in one place. 

Tom, you can get plaster of Paris at home depot too but I have taken Wayne's advise and use durabond in most instances because of the extended working times and durability but you do have to be precise because it does get very hard.  

Nothing else going on here. 

Charlie

RE: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #IX.. Stop In!!! - ezdays - 02-17-2022

Good morning everyone, well, it did rain yesterday, some to the north of us, a bit to the east and some more to the southeast, not a drop here. Looks like another chance next week though.

Need to spend today getting someone to get rid of the weeds, it's warm enough now and they're sprouting all over. I also need to find someone to patch my ceiling. One quote is for $2300, I called a guy yesterday, he's saying about $300 for the drywall, probably another $100 for insulation.He says he doesn't like to paint though. That I can handle, but I'm going to check a few more out, this guy is around 3 weeks before he can get to it. Why can the other company charge so much, well, they're a preferred provider with the insurance company and they know what they will pay.

Went shooting on Monday, the guy I usually sit with at breakfast said the he was the only one in Brenda's that morning. The new owner was there and he said she never even said "good morning". Most days when Brenda was there it was hard to find a seat shortly after 6:00. Anyone want to buy a restaurant.... cheap??

Y'all have a fine day, me, I'm going to be busy on the phone....

RE: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #IX.. Stop In!!! - tompm - 02-17-2022

Good morning folks

Temperature is a mild 49 heading up to 62.

Wife is possibly having an issue with a new medication she started last week. She is having several of the side effects listed for the med. She will be calling the doctor today to see if she can go back on the old med. Problem is the insurance company made her change since they won't pay for the old med. Now the doctor will have to get the old med authorized.

I did some running around yesterday to Michaels and the grocery store. Took care of few things around the house.

I got the plaster of Paris and was able to cover the ramp with plaster soaked paper towels. Depending on how fast it dries will determine when I can go over it with a coat of either plaster or hydrocal. I still have a pile of freight cars to tune up. Still need to pick a structure. The walls for the ramp I ordered are supposed to be delivered today.

RE: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #IX.. Stop In!!! - FiatFan - 02-17-2022

Greetings, gang.

9 headed for a breezy 17. 45 tomorrow, 31 on Saturday, 54 0n Sunday, and 27 on Monday.

Quiet day yesterday. Shopping was completed satisfactorily and gym was routine. My son called yesterday and want me to buy tickets to Ireland in August for a football game. Pretty sure that's not gonna happen. No plans for today other than gym and Thursday group.

All stay safe.

Tom

RE: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #IX.. Stop In!!! - tompm - 02-18-2022

Good morning folks

It is 53 and the wind is howling. I won't be surprised if we lose power at some point. High is supposed to be 62 with thunderstorms.

We went through some stuff and decided what we were keeping and what was trash. Ran a few errands.

The walls arrived and I cut them to fit along the ramp. I also painted them. Next is weathering and then glue them in place.

Need to run to the produce store later today.

RE: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #IX.. Stop In!!! - ezdays - 02-18-2022

Good morning good people, we're at 42° heading to 72° today, even better for a few more days, then everyone seems to agree,  the best chance of rain is Wednesday with a bone-chilling 56° high.

Well, yesterday was a waste. I called the yard guy and he said he'd be by later in the day, called a drywall guy and they said that Rick would get back to me, so I waited all day, yard guy never showed and never called, drywall guy finally called around 5:30. I'm at a loss, will the yard guy show up today, do I call someone else and risk having two guys show up? I will call another drywall company though, this one is four weeks out, and the one before him said three to four. There's no rush, but I have this big hole in my ceiling now and I want to get it patched before inflation drives sheetrock up to $100 a sheet. The last I checked it was over $12.00 a sheet, more than double in the last few months.

Heading out to breakfast, everyone have a great day today, stay warm and stay safe...

RE: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #IX.. Stop In!!! - FiatFan - 02-18-2022

Greetings, gang.

Partly cloudy and a very pretty sunrise underway in the remote reaches of northern Iowa this morning. 16 now headed for the mid 40s this afternoon with a 40% chance of rain and/or snow squalls late this afternoon and evening with winds near 40 mph.

Looks like a new young lady is moving in across the street. Several people carrying in small items (lamps, end tables, etc.) last night. I'm guessing the big stuff will occur this weekend. In other news my new GPS is out for delivery via the postal service. That means I'll receive it any time between noonish and after dark tonight. Only major activity for me is a trip to the gym this morning for some sweating.

All stay safe.

Tom