The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #IX.. Stop In!!! - Printable Version

+- (https://bigbluetrains.com)
+-- Forum: The Depot (https://bigbluetrains.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Forum: Hobo's Camp (https://bigbluetrains.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=39)
+--- Thread: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #IX.. Stop In!!! (/showthread.php?tid=9237)

RE: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #IX.. Stop In!!! - sir james - 05-09-2022

Hello Blue
Finally, no rain till the coming weekend. Sun and lower 70s today.
Saturday was a long one for me. Had a table at a train show, since the covid this is my first one. It was good seeing old acquaintances again. 
Then the evening was top off with our monthly club meet.
I know my wife will be outside playing in the gardens, getting ready for plants later in the month.
Mother's Day saw the kids (3) come by, even some of the grandsons. Those that didn't, I guess they don't realize how precious our time with them is. 
S.J.

RE: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #IX.. Stop In!!! - jim currie - 05-09-2022

hi all . well another monday is here , got a long honey do list  so the  only thing i will be doing in the model world is to start the annual paint bottle shake , still have several 10 cent bottles of  pactra and a few of 15 cent testors  . 

stay safe  as the pandemic is not over yet .

Jim

RE: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #IX.. Stop In!!! - FiatFan - 05-10-2022

Greetings, gang

It is a hazy 61 degrees this morning with a predicted high in the upper 70s, much cooler than yesterday's high of 93.

Fairly quiet day yesterday. Gym in the morning and goofing off in the afternoon. Busy day today. Grocery shopping and then a trip to Menards. I want to get some flowers for the back yard. Also need to put down some solar rope lights around the Backyard & Southern right of way. If I don't run out of energy I may wash the car also. This evening is a concert for one of the great-grandkids.

All stay safe.

Tom

RE: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #IX.. Stop In!!! - ezdays - 05-10-2022

Good morning everyone, 89 today, and now some say there could be a 1% chance of rain. We'll keep an umbrella handy, oh wait, that's in my truck that's in the shop... Waiting 

Was going to work on my control panel yesterday but got diverted. My gun safe started screaming at me and I couldn't use the keypad to open it. Fortunately, this one has a backup key. I fooled around with the batteries and keypad and found one button that didn't work. I tried to change the combo but the reset switch doesn't work either. I tore the door apart and found a small circuit board that is most likely the culprit, just that Harbor Freight says that they don't have replacement parts for this safe, so now I have a safe that will only open using a key. Better than the guy at Brenda's that says he has the same problem with his gun safe, just that it doesn't have a key to override the keypad. Anyway, that's where my day went yesterday, leaving me some time today to get back to my control panel.

Gotta go, running a bit late, ya all have a great day today, take it easy, relax, something can wait until tomorrow so don't rush...

RE: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #IX.. Stop In!!! - sir james - 05-10-2022

Harbor Freight doesn't seem to have parts for anything they sell. I was told a long time ago don't buy anything there you won't want to throw away. That includes their generators. I do buy there but nothing overly expensive.

RE: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #IX.. Stop In!!! - ezdays - 05-10-2022

(05-10-2022, 10:52 AM)sir james Wrote: Harbor Freight doesn't seem to have parts for anything they sell. I was told a long time ago don't buy anything there you won't want to throw away. That includes their generators. I do buy there but nothing overly expensive.

Agree, the tools I buy there are for occasional use and most are "throw away" if they stop working. Cost has always been on the low end with no thought of repair. If I was a carpenter or cabinet maker, I'd go elsewhere, but their tools are fine for how often I use it. In this case, I have a 200#, 6' tall safe I can't just throw in the garbage can, so now I'm stuck with a digital safe that only opens with a key. Icon_cry 

I see where they're carrying a few higher cost brands now, still their own brands, but I hope of higher quality. On the plus side, I have a floor model, 10" table saw with cast metal table that I bought there 20 years ago and it's doing fine. Had to replace the on/off switch a few years ago (found one on Amazon), that's it... Goldth

RE: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #IX.. Stop In!!! - FiatFan - 05-11-2022

Greetings, gang.

Cloudy and 67 headed for possibly stormy and 93. Gonna be a warm one today.

Grocery shopping at 4 different stores and still need to go back to one as I overlooked one item on my list. Also need to stop in to Hobby Lobby to pick up a couple of clock mechanisms. Doctor's appointment at 8 along with blood draw. No food til afterwards. Already getting cranky. Baseball tonight at 6 but it may get canceled by storms.

Harbor Freight is the sole supplier for the solar powered rope lights that outline the track on the Backyard & Southern RR.

All stay safe.

Tom

RE: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #IX.. Stop In!!! - ezdays - 05-11-2022

Good morning all, mid to high 80's today, no one (except the MS app) shows rain anywhere in the next two weeks. Windy and dry, ripe for more wildfires.

Pat renewed our SSL certificate (https//) yesterday, last year we were a few hours late and everyone got a "dangerous site" warning message when coming here. The only danger is not paying them, kind of like the Mafia protection racket. 35 Blaster

Called the body shop, truck fender getting primer today, suppose to have been Monday, but had to do some extra work first. I doubt that I'll see my truck before next week, three or four extra days of car rental of a car I do not like to drive or have to pay for...

Have a great day, be good, but have some fun too...

RE: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #IX.. Stop In!!! - jim currie - 05-11-2022

hi all . as far as harbor freight there ok in you aren't using them professionally there ok , all though when I was working i kept a assortment to there wrenches and sockets in tool box in case I needed to cut  one up grind  or weld on it  for a special use , way cheaper than Mac or Snap on  which neither would warranty if you modified it .
Jim

RE: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #IX.. Stop In!!! - ezdays - 05-11-2022

(05-11-2022, 08:49 AM)jim currie Wrote: hi all . as far as harbor freight there ok in you aren't using them professionally there ok , all though when I was working i kept a assortment to there wrenches and sockets in tool box in case I needed to cut  one up grind  or weld on it  for a special use , way cheaper than Mac or Snap on  which neither would warranty if you modified it .
Jim

Years ago there was a Sears outlet store near us in north Phoenix. More than once, I was able to bring an old Craftsman power tool in and they would exchange it for a reconditioned one that they had for sale, no questions asked. The last time I tried that, they said that a "lifetime warranty" did not apply to power tools. That was about the time they were in bankruptcy. I believe that most Harbor Freight tools only have a 90 day warranty. That's why most all the hand tools I use frequently are Craftsman, and those I use occasionally are most likely are from Harbor Freight. You have to admit one thing, they do have a vast assortment of different tools there and a range of pricing. I recently bought two power drills at different times, both were on sale, one was $50, the other $15. Both have lithium-ion battery packs, but little comparison beyond that.

RE: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #IX.. Stop In!!! - sir james - 05-11-2022

Hello Blue
Tiss a nice day in the 70s. My wife is out potting flowers and I'm in the house, on call if needed.
I shop Harbor freight but not as much as in the past. If you have not noticed, they have stopped advertising. Not even a mailer anymore. At least it's that way here. The on-sale items are what sent us to their store.
S.J.

RE: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #IX.. Stop In!!! - FiatFan - 05-12-2022

Greetings, gang.

73 already headed for 90 and possibly some storms overnight tonight.

Went to great-grandson's ball game last night. VERY windy. The National Weather Service is claiming 20 gusting to 30 mph but sitting out there the winds were closer to 30 gusting over 40 mph. Doctor check up was interesting. After the exam I looked at the results of the blood work and discovered that I am and have been for some time slightly anemic. One of the effects of the anemia is cold hands and feet, which I suffer from all winter long. Could be an interesting conversation today when they call with the official results. Also got a pneumonia shot while I was there and am suffering the consequences today. Not only continuing soreness at the injection site but a general achiness along with some severe leg cramps while I was sleeping last night. Probably not going to do much of anything today. End of old man rant.

All stay safe.

Tom

RE: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #IX.. Stop In!!! - ezdays - 05-12-2022

Good morning all, temps are a bit crazy here, today below normal, this weekend well above normal, our first 105+ in the forecast.

SJ, you're right, no thick Harbor Freight catalogs in the mail, no four-page flyers in the newspaper, no freebie coupons, (can't count the number of free LED lights and tape measures I have). Everything now is on their website and by email. I still get a newspaper delivered four times a week (Wed, Fri, Sat, Sun), and see that fewer and fewer stores have flyers inserted. Don't know if it's the Internet or the cost of paper advertising that's causing this. I opted for the four-day delivery when I saw my newspaper bill jump to over $70 a month. Icon_e_surprised

Not sure if I'm going to get my truck back this week, I'll find out later today. Next week is exceptionally busy, on Monday I get cataract surgery and will then be renting a car that I can't drive. So be it, just as long as they do the repairs right, I'm always concerned about paint matching.

Got one early morning appointment, then I'll go back to working on my control panel. I already messed up one piece of plastic, used the wrong type drill bit, so now I have a bit thicker sheet and the right bit so it shouldn't crack so easily. Waiting 

Ya all have a great day.

RE: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #IX.. Stop In!!! - Charlie B - 05-12-2022

Good morning. 
I have been negligent posting to this thread. I could take the time for the POD thread but have been very busy around the house. I have accomplished a lot of necessary chores including replacing the bad soil in the raised beds with good soil that I made in the regular garden. I tilled it last fall with a tone of horse manure that I had composted for a year so I just exchanged some of the sandy top soil I bought last year that did not grow things the way I hoped. The garden was planted yesterday and so were the raised beds. This morning I scrubbed the north side of the house, it was pretty green from the moss or what ever. 

Tom, I switched doctors a couple years ago and my bloodwork remained the same but the last time I read the card for the appointment for the blood draw. I thought fasting meant no drinks either, which I guess it does, except water. The card said please drink water. So now after all these blood test no one ever told us to drink water. All of my results were great so It does make a difference.  

I have been taking a drug for my enlarged prostate for 2 years. I finally made the connection that I had no stamina and lots of joint pain which is a side effect. I stopped the drug 2 weeks ago and most of the ache is gone and I finally feel like doing something. 

Don, I am glad that you have that panel figured out. 

I have been looking at the PRR Q2 that I bought last year, It is time to put it together I need to make a short drive shaft between the front and rear engines, other than that it appears to be OK. 

Have a greand day everyone. 
Charlie

RE: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #IX.. Stop In!!! - tompm - 05-12-2022

Good afternoon folks

It is 71 with a high of 73.

I have not been posting this week because I have rejoined the work force. A friend called me a few weeks ago looking for someone to oversee a construction project in the Manayunk section of Philadelphia. The project involves reestablishing the connection of the Manayunk Canal and the Schuylkill River so water will flow through the canal. Since work started on Monday the schedule has been all over the place with me doing onboarding and training with the inspection company and the contractor finally starting work yesterday. I had never intended to not work after I retired but because of Covid the potential jobs I had lined up after I retired went away. I was hoping to work until I can collect Social Security.

With the adjustment to the new schedule I have not got any modeling done. The last bit I did was weathering a Bachmann Tropicana reefer and assembling an Athearn Blue Box RF&P wide vision caboose.

Hopefully as things settle down I will get back to modeling.

I hope everybody has a good evening.