The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #IX.. Stop In!!! - Printable Version

+- (https://bigbluetrains.com)
+-- Forum: The Depot (https://bigbluetrains.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Forum: Hobo's Camp (https://bigbluetrains.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=39)
+--- Thread: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #IX.. Stop In!!! (/showthread.php?tid=9237)

RE: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #IX.. Stop In!!! - jim currie - 06-01-2022

hi all . haven't had much time to be here other than a quick zip through had a AC problem one of the connecting tubes came off a tee  not being as spry as i use to be it took a long time for me to get things fixed , trying to find some AC gut that was willing to get under the house at a reasonable rate  was imposable so i had to do it myself got it though .  was in Tucson to the VA yesterday got a you pass with flying colors from the cardiologist . got my challenge down the last thing to do.
stay safe and cool Jim.

RE: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #IX.. Stop In!!! - FiatFan - 06-02-2022

Greetings, gang.

Clear and definitely cool this morning at 46 degrees. The plan published by our good friends at the National Weather Service indicates that the high is supposed to be in the upper 70s.

Yesterday was much more productive than I originally planned. In addition to laundry and mowing I applied grass seed to several bare spots on the lawn. Also spent quite a lot of time trying to get my e-mail client to work. I spent some time in the phone company's on-line chat where they told me they don't support 3rd party e-mail. A little later I found a video on their web site showing how to set up the very same e-mail client. Oh, well. I guess I'll keep working on it. This morning I need to stock up the cupboards.

Jim - glad to hear you're doing well.

Gas price here was a little surprising. After spending the weekend in Rapid City, a tourist town with notoriously high gas prices, I returned home to find out local gas stations were gouging us. Even on a holiday weekend prices in Rapid City were dropping. When I arrived there the price was around $4.20. By the time I left the price was right around $4 even. Arriving home I discovered the price here was $4.49!

All stay safe.

Tom

RE: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #IX.. Stop In!!! - ezdays - 06-02-2022

Good morning good people, things here are about the same, except that prices are going up on everything, I think Walmart has a full crew that does nothing but change price tags. Gas stations, they just need to key in a new number in their computers then sit back as customers yell and cry... Costco is the lowest here at $5.16 for regular, the highest is up on I-17 at $5.79. I guess they want to make Californians feel at home when they come here. So Tom, if you feel like you're being gouged at $4.49, just try to fill up here, or stop by a station on the west coast. Tucson, of course, is a good $1.00 lower than up here.

Jim, glad you're doing better, and SJ, I hope your family is getting though your losses as best you can.

Go get my right eye worked on this morning. Left eye is doing so much better, I didn't know how bad my eyes were until they did my left one. I never knew it, but everything that was white, looked yellowish until now...

Worked on my control panel for a while yesterday, I'm trying to devise a way to mount it without having to drill holes for screws. I'm thinking magnets would work so that's the plan right now.

Temps in the low 100's until late next week when they show 110+. 'tis June folks, and yeah, there is a marked difference in our traffic, snowbirds are all gone, schools are on summer break and then there's the gas price thing, but none of that keeps our temps from going up, just that you get to spend less time driving now.

Take care everyone and do something fun today...

RE: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #IX.. Stop In!!! - Charlie B - 06-02-2022

Good morning. 
        If you have ever heard the saying that the price is too good to be true?  I found out on an Item I ordered Tuesday how true that saying is.  I needed a starter for my old back up mower and by googling the number I was shown a site by the google ads that pop up.  They had a starter for half what other shops had so I ordered it. The tip off came when I didn't get a confirmation within a day so I went back to the site and found the address was in VA (Not theirs) and the phone was in California (Also not theirs) and of course the email bounced. I am peeved at myself because I try to be so careful. I did use a virtual credit card so he did not get my CC number and I canceled that card too and the bank put a credit on my account even though I told them I just wanted this guy shut down, it wasn't any longer about the 23 bucks.  The name on the site is Nesurt.com so if it pops up in any of your searches be advised it is a scam site and a darned good looking web site to boot. I did report it to the FTC for all the more good it will do. 

I pulled the deck off the back up mower and put a coat of Corroseal Water-Based Rust Converter on it. I love this product, it makes rusty stuff look great and can be painted too. 
I bought this old Craftsman mower 8 years ago when my new Ariens mower from Home Depot had a transmission failure 3 months out of warranty. I paid 200 bucks and it came complete with a rear bagger which is nice when mowing the back yard where the dogs are confined. It has taken nothing but oil changes until now so I got my 200 bucks worth for sure. The starter magnets came loose from the case and I figure somehow water got between them and the case and froze breaking the glue and locking the starter. 

It's cloudy here todaqy with a chance of rain. We had rain last night but the heavy storms were to our north. 

Have a good day everyone and good luck with your eye Don. 

Charlie

RE: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #IX.. Stop In!!! - tompm - 06-02-2022

Good morning folks

It is 77 on it's way to 80. We are supposed to get thunderstorms later this afternoon.

Wife wasn't feeling well last evening and decided to take a covid test. Unfortunately she got a positive result. We have found out some people who took paxlovid get a positive result about 10 days from the original positive test. After about 4 days the result goes back to negative.

I built a couple of Roundhouse 50 FT express reefers. I need to add metal wheels and some weight. I have a couple more to build along with a few old Walthers boxcar kits.

I hope everybody has a good day.

RE: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #IX.. Stop In!!! - sir james - 06-02-2022

Hello Blue
We stopped to eat after the family funeral yesterday evening. We went in at 82 degrees, we came out and it had dropped to 71.
Cloudy this morning, hoping for some sun this afternoon.
After two funerals in a week, both out of town, and a holiday we are tired this morning. 
I saw the same changes when my cataracts were removed. When driving the sun bothers me now. Before I rarely needed my sunglasses.
So much construction around here that trying to get anywhere is a nightmare. Gas I saw yesterday was right around the 480 mark.
S.J.

RE: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #IX.. Stop In!!! - FiatFan - 06-02-2022

Just back from grocery shopping..Gas here jumped another 15 cents to $4.64.

RE: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #IX.. Stop In!!! - FiatFan - 06-03-2022

Greetings, gang.

51 cool degrees outside my window this morning. The high is supposed to be 78.

Quiet day yesterday. I did get in a nice bike ride yesterday afternoon. This morning I'll be headed to the gym for a nice swim and workout. Nothing else planned for today. Tomorrow will be baseball for the great-grandkids in Waterloo, about 90 miles away. While I'm there I plan to do a little furniture shopping also.

All stay safe.

Tom

RE: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #IX.. Stop In!!! - ezdays - 06-03-2022

Good morning everyone. Got the cataract removed from my right eye yesterday. Talk about quick, They took me a few minutes early and I was back out in less than an hour. The patch comes off early this morning. They have a well oiled system there, I'm guessing they do some 25 surgeries a day. Kinda like an assembly line, I guess that's what medicine has become. The next step will be that you stick your head in a box and a bot does the procedure... Anyway, it's over and I'm anxious to see the improvement.

Did not do much of anything else yesterday, just watched all the chaos on the news. Watched a show called, "Alone", where they dump ten people in the wilderness in Canada and they fend for themselves, build their own shelters, forage for food and record their progress. The last one standing wins $500,000. They apparently have a button they can push if they want out. Even if I was fit enough, they couldn't pay me enough to eat bugs or a squirrel, or chop wood in the rain to have a fire. I fast forwarded through some of it, like when one guy dug through bear poo to try to track a polar bear for food. Not sure if I'll be watching the next episode though, but my prayers are for the bear that he doesn't catch up with it, they all have a bow and arrows, so watch out, a hungry man vs a hungry bear, who will win?.....

Gas jumped another 10-15 cents yesterday, Costco is now $5.27, see some stations still at $5.05. others up to $5.89. Most are $5.39. Glad I don't have any long trips planned.

I can't believe it's Friday already, everyone have a great weekend, stay safe and avoid all that chaos going on out there, there sure is enough to fee those news folks happy., seems like they delight in being the first ones on the scene of something big... Waiting

RE: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #IX.. Stop In!!! - tompm - 06-03-2022

Good morning folks

Temperature is 65 going up to 79. Definitely cooler than the past few days especially since the sun is behind a thick layer of clouds. We had some heavy rain yesterday. I got caught in it. The windshield wipers could not keep up the rain. Luckily I was driving familiar roads and I think I was driving them from memory.

Last evening was a bummer. I did get paperwork faxed to the wife's doctor. After that things went downhill. The place I ordered dinner from delivered them wrong order and it took me a while and trip to the store to fix the issue.

I did get two more Roundhouse express reefs and a Walthers wood reefer built. I now have five cars to weather. There are three Roundhouse kits I need to paint the metal floor/underframe.

RE: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #IX.. Stop In!!! - sir james - 06-03-2022

79 degrees 
Gas was 4.99 and up. Everything in the grocery store is up. We are headed for a big recession.

RE: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #IX.. Stop In!!! - ezdays - 06-04-2022

Good morning everyone, Saturday, a day of rest, pleasures or honey-dos, depends on how you approach it. Me, I'm choosing rest. My right eye is still swollen and is giving me double vision so I don't think I'll be going anywhere or doing much of anything today.

Gas is up again here as well, we'll hit $6.00 a gallon very soon. Diesel is even higher, so you can expect this to reflect in the cost of everything else. I have breakfast with someone that's in the trucking industry and he is frequently telling us how things there are affected by inflation. He's saying that right now liability insurance for one driver is around $18,000 a year, triple what it was, and that doesn't insure the truck. To buy a brand new cab a year ago was around $150,000, today, he says, that's $250,000. He also discusses the actual cost of shipping now compared to even a year ago, and it spoils your appetite. Inflation is out of control and no one seems to care except those of us that have to stand in line at the grocery store. Gotta check out quickly before prices go up on what we have in our basket. Icon_rolleyes I get gas early in the day, try to beat the  gas delivery truck.

I get at least one call every day from someone wanting to either list or buy my house. I could make a fantastic profit thanks to inflation, but then what do I do? I have no intention of moving, too much work, too costly and my "profit" would all go to living somewhere else anyway.

OK, let's just put on a happy face and enjoy the weekend.

RE: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #IX.. Stop In!!! - sir james - 06-04-2022

Hello Blue
The problem with selling is you have to buy at the inflated rate.
Sun and 70s today.
S.J.

RE: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #IX.. Stop In!!! - tompm - 06-04-2022

Good morning folks

It is 76 heading up to 82.

We finally got a couple flowers planted yesterday. Still have a few more to go.

I got the metal underframes painted on three Roundhouse kits. I am hoping to do some weathering later today.

I need to run to the produce store and PetSmart. I also need to take a trip to Delaware for gas. Prices near home are $4.99. Delaware is $4.79.

RE: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #IX.. Stop In!!! - ngauger - 06-04-2022

Gas and temps going up...

Gas Guru not reporting current pricing of $4.99 or $5.00... Sometimes when I poke on a price it reads 4 days ago... Not good!!

Turned off the A/C last night to give it a rest and opened the windows. Windows closed now and A/C back on until tonight....it's going down to 60 in the morning and 80's in afternoon...

Only 1 day left in the challenge for the modelers...