The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #IX.. Stop In!!! - Printable Version

+- (https://bigbluetrains.com)
+-- Forum: The Depot (https://bigbluetrains.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Forum: Hobo's Camp (https://bigbluetrains.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=39)
+--- Thread: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #IX.. Stop In!!! (/showthread.php?tid=9237)

RE: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #IX.. Stop In!!! - jim currie - 08-29-2022

hi al. well its Monday again still hot and muggy here not much new here youngest son's wife was here from Colorado this weekend and brought us our anniversary presents and two boxes of palisade peaches and two boxes of Oletha sweet corn .
Jim

RE: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #IX.. Stop In!!! - FiatFan - 08-30-2022

Greetings, gang.

57 now headed for 80 and sunny with 20 mph winds.

Yesterday was moderately productive. Gym was good. Then I went for a 9 mile bike ride. Also got the yard mowed for the first time in a while. Part of the bike ride was to verify that the speed enforcement vehicle was not where the police dept said it was. Wrote them an e-mail but no response. Last time I wrote them for the same topic I received and automated response saying the mailbox was only monitored during business hours. The response came through at 9:42 on a Monday. As of this morning the location has not been update.

Finally got my latest rebate so it's off to Menards and the grocery store this morning. Maybe a bike ride later on depending on the wind.

All stay safe.

Tom

RE: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #IX.. Stop In!!! - ezdays - 08-30-2022

Good morning all, we're in for a hot one today. Suppose to be the first 110 for August, just barely seeing as how we have just two days until September. I have a very early (7:45) appointment and that's it for today. Oh, family dinner tonight but that's just a few minutes drive so I won't be spending much time outside. No rain in the forecast for a while, storm and flood warnings have now become, "excessive heat warnings".

That's it for today, still trying to work out a way to notch my cabin logs. Too small to get consistent cuts that won't break off, but that's the challenge of N scale.

Take care, have a great day, stay safe and stay dry. Flooding in the Midwest, drought here in the Southwest...

RE: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #IX.. Stop In!!! - sir james - 08-30-2022

Hello Blue. Cloudy and 80 for the day.
Today's news is yesterday's storm. Trees and lines down everywhere. No power in many areas around us. Our kids less than a mile way have no power. Their sub has underground wires but that doesn't protect one from the power reaching there.
S.J.

RE: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #IX.. Stop In!!! - FiatFan - 08-31-2022

Greetings, gang.

Clear and 60 at the moment. Headed for the upper 80s today and tomorrow and then it looks like the weather has learned to read the calendar. Temperatures drop to the upper 70s and low 80s with cool nights - very typical September weather for Iowa.

Got all my shopping done yesterday and managed to put 3 bags of rocks around the Backyard & Southern. Also put a new end on the garden hose. Couldn't get the old one to seal properly. Then the carrier (formerly the mailman) delivered the 8mm film repair kit I've been waiting for. I'll be able to transfer the film to a digital format and send the results out to the family via DVD. Woke up at 4 this morning and couldn't go back to sleep. Looks like it's going to be a long day.

Gs price was $3.43 when I left home to run my errands yesterday. While traveling from one store to the next I noticed that one of the chain gas stations had raised the price to $3.59. I made a beeline to Walmart to fill up before they got the memo to raise prices.

All stay safe,

Tom

Forgot to add that I noticed our local police department has updated the location of the speed enforcement vehicle.

RE: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #IX.. Stop In!!! - ezdays - 08-31-2022

Good morning all, yes, most forecasts were wrong, some said 108 or 109, we hit 111 yesterday, they're saying the same for today, so we'll see. Yesterday was the 21st day of at least 110 for the summer. Temps not suppose to go below 100 until the end of next week. Not much chance of rain until then either.

As for gas, most stations jumped 5 to 10 cents a few days ago and I see lots of stations now over $4.00, $3.89 to $3.99 is where most are. One station, a few miles north of here on US60 has kind of a captive situation being the only station between Surprise and Wickenburg and so the feel that $4.39 is fair (yesterday they were at $4.99, but I guess folks caught on and filled up in Surprise).

Feeling a bit better today, still going to take it easy. Built a jig yesterday to make my log notches, still can't get any consistency and most break off or split, others notches are not perpendicular to the faced sides, so back to the drawing board. Icon_cry 

Lots of flooding around the country so everyone be careful, have a great day and stay safe...

RE: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #IX.. Stop In!!! - sir james - 08-31-2022

A quick Good morning Blue.
Sun and 83 for the day. It went to 82 yesterday and I left the A/C off, but it did get stuffy in the house.
Right now there is a nice north wind blowing.
Egg update, the store that brought on the price joke a few weeks back had XLg eggs today @ $2.50 doz.
All three of our kids live off of the same main street. Power is still out from Monday's storm. Edison is saying most will be back online by Friday night.
Two of them live in the same sub with underground wiring, doesn't help if the power can't get to them.  Now our daughters work power is down and she says the pole is on fire. fun huh.
S.J.

RE: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #IX.. Stop In!!! - tompm - 08-31-2022

Good evening folks

Been having trouble with the Internet in the construction trailer during the day so I have not been able to view or post during breaks and lunch. They tells things will be straightened out by the end of the week. I will believe it when it happens. These are the same people that keep telling s the trailer will be hooked up to electricity every Friday. We have been on a generator since May.

I was going to work on several blue box tank cars but then found out they were missing parts. In the meantime I cannibalized from other kits and was able to complete 2, a Hooker Chemical, and a Shell 3 dome. I also added screws to the couple pockets. I ordered the parts I need and they are slowly tickling in. I painted the metal frame for a PRR 50 FT Roundhouse box car and the weights for a couple of Athearn blue box hoppers. I changed out the EZ-mate couples on two Bachmann Tropicana reefers.

I began a reorganizing of my rolling stock. I am starting with the reefers. I pulled them out of their bins and organized them by categories such as wood express, steel express, less than 40 ft wood, billboard, 40 ft steel, 50 ft plus steel. I may break out the milk reefers. I am hoping this will make it easier for me to find and get things out.

As the parts arrive I will work on the remaining tank cars. I have the two blue box hoppers and two box cars to build next.

I hope everybody has a good day.

RE: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #IX.. Stop In!!! - Charlie B - 08-31-2022

Good evening everyone.
       I have been missing on this thread, just didn't have any good to report. I was under the weather with some rib damage and finally got to a chiropractor and got fixed up. I thought they might be broken but she said no, and used a magic little machine that worked them in place without hurting me.  I am almost fully recoverded, worst part being lack of sleep because I had to sleep in a recliner. 

My friend Kevin (railcop) has covid. His wife has it too but she is almost over it, he just caught if from her. 

I had ordered some "awesome' brand soap to clean the motorhome body and it arrived so I want to use it before I start sanding so I don't gring any wax into what I am painting over. Taking the oxidation off with the soap will help too. 

We got some much needed rain yesterday and it is cooling off tonight.  I also got a gallon of tomatoes cooked and frozen for sauces. 

Glad to hear you are a little better Don. recovery times seem to lengthen with our age.

Everyone stay safe and prayers for the struggles that all the forum members are facing.
Charlie

RE: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #IX.. Stop In!!! - ezdays - 09-01-2022

Good morning all and a happy first day of September. I keep finding out what each day is dedicated to usually the day after, so I looked up today. Here goes, September 1, 2022:
Emma M. Nutt Day, the first woman telephone operator
National Cherry Popover Day
National Tofu Day (UK)
Aren't you all glad you know that now?

Only got to 108 yesterday, triple digits or close as far as the eye can see. Possibly some rain late next week, but I wouldn't cancel anything outdoors because of it. Costco and Sam's Club dropped gas five cents back to $3.69, I doubt that anyone else followed suite, it's a holiday weekend, usually they raise prices about now.

I appreciate everyone's concern about my recovery, I am slowly doing better, but Charlie is right, us old folk tend to do everything slowly. I had another CT scan this week and I'll find out next week if they have to go back for some touchup work.

Y'all have a fine day today, stay safe and have some fun....

RE: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #IX.. Stop In!!! - FiatFan - 09-01-2022

Greetings, gang.

Another sunny and warm day underway in the remote reaches of northern Iowa. High for today and tomorrow near 90. No significant chances for rain in sight.

Not much going on in my life at the moment. The mother of one of our occasional Thursday group has fallen and is failing rapidly so our get together tonight could be rather subdued.

Don - your informational service to our little community is greatly appreciated.

All stay safe.

Tom

RE: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #IX.. Stop In!!! - jim currie - 09-01-2022

(08-31-2022, 05:47 AM)ezdays Wrote: Feeling a bit better today, still going to take it easy. Built a jig yesterday to make my log notches, still can't get any consistency and most break off or split, others notches are not perpendicular to the faced sides, so back to the drawing board. Icon_cry 

Don since you should have plenty of material try leaving them long and then cut your noch like 1/2 to 3/4 inch back from the end , if this works then carful trim to length .
Jim

RE: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #IX.. Stop In!!! - ezdays - 09-01-2022

(09-01-2022, 08:18 AM)jim currie Wrote:
(08-31-2022, 05:47 AM)ezdays Wrote: Feeling a bit better today, still going to take it easy. Built a jig yesterday to make my log notches, still can't get any consistency and most break off or split, others notches are not perpendicular to the faced sides, so back to the drawing board. Icon_cry 

Don since you should have plenty of material try leaving them long and then cut your noch like 1/2 to 3/4 inch back from the end , if this works then carful trim to length .
Jim

I've tried that with little success, got splinters and splits. Building a jig that will allow me to get my notches perpendicular to the sides and parallel to each other and should allow me to do this with the log firmly in place. But, one thing I haven't tried yet is to dip the ends in CA before I start cutting. Guess what my next attempt is going to be....

RE: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #IX.. Stop In!!! - Charlie B - 09-01-2022

Don, if the ca doesn't work maybe try soaking the ends briefly in dilute white glue and let it dry 24 hours and try again. 
Charlie

RE: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #IX.. Stop In!!! - FiatFan - 09-02-2022

Greetings, gang.

Clear and 67 this morning. Later it will become sunny and 90, or so "they" say. Much cooler tomorrow.

Quiet day yesterday. Last night I watched one of the young ladies across the street move out. Curious to see if someone else moves in. Gas price jumped to $3.59 on Tuesday. When I was out again yesterday it had dropped to $3.38 - very surprising for just before the holiday.

All stay safe.

Tom