The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #IX.. Stop In!!! - Printable Version

+- (https://bigbluetrains.com)
+-- Forum: The Depot (https://bigbluetrains.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Forum: Hobo's Camp (https://bigbluetrains.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=39)
+--- Thread: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #IX.. Stop In!!! (/showthread.php?tid=9237)

RE: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #IX.. Stop In!!! - tompm - 09-13-2022

Good morning folks

It is 71 heading up to 80.

I went to see the doctor yesterday and thee were no surprises. I need to get an MRI. She wants me to continue therapy for my neck and shoulder. She added the back to orders. I am nots ure therapy is doing much. We have tried a few things for the back and I swear each time they made it worse. Didn't do much else once I got home. Basically ate dinner and tried to relax.

Tonight I hope to put some laundry away and maybe do some more. I would like to work on the backlog of cars on the layout.

I hope everybody has a good day.

RE: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #IX.. Stop In!!! - BR60103 - 09-13-2022

Some smoke alarms chirp becase they have a built-in expiry date.

RE: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #IX.. Stop In!!! - ezdays - 09-13-2022

(09-13-2022, 07:28 PM)BR60103 Wrote: Some smoke alarms chirp becase they have a built-in expiry date.

Some chirp just to annoy you and keep you awake at night. Not this one, not anymore...   20 Blaster

RE: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #IX.. Stop In!!! - Schraddel - 09-14-2022

Smoke detectors usually jangle your nerves when battery life came to it's end and the voltage drops low. Renew battery and then it should be quiet.
Battery life of special 9V blocks are about 10 years here.
In one case i found a spider at a "strategical" spot within the smoke detector and every time it moves, it triggered the alarme. Night time preferred of course  Eek

Just came back from my doctor's office, got the 4th shot Anti-Corona vaccizine.

Lutz

RE: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #IX.. Stop In!!! - FiatFan - 09-14-2022

Greetings, gang.

Warmer weather is returning. Mid to upper 80s for the rest of the week with higher humidity so it won't feel as cool as it has the last few days.

Had a nice hour long chat with my granddaughter in Omaha yesterday. Going down to see them all the first weekend in October. Always a fun trip. Also plotting a practical joke for my oldest great-granddaughter.

Gas price here is goofy - again or still, not sure which. One station says $3.31. Across the intersection another says $3.49.

All stay safe.

Tom

RE: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #IX.. Stop In!!! - tompm - 09-14-2022

Good morning folks

It is a cool 61 heading up to 79.

Speaking of chirping smoke detectors, I have one in the attic chirping. It has been doing it for over a week. It took me three days to figure out which one was chirping. I need to move some stuff off the steps so I can get up there and change the battery and I also need to buy the battery.

I worked on a Union Athearn Blue Box 3 Dome Tank car. I added screws to hold the couplers in place. Since this was a used kit that was built somethings were missing such as some of the warning placards and the brake wheel gear. I have extras so I thought no problem I will fix it. Then I could not find them. Finally late last night I found them so I hope to add them today along with metal wheels.

My wife has a cardiologist visit this afternoon. THis is to get clearance for the upcoming surgery on Monday. She is having another D and C to hopefully stop the bleeding. They will also take a biopsy to make sure there is nothing else to worry about. We went through this last year just before Labor Day. Hopefully this does not become a yearly thing around this time.

RE: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #IX.. Stop In!!! - ezdays - 09-14-2022

Good morning good people of Big Blue. Did replace the battery in the smoke detector, but the old one still reads over 9V, is about five years old and has a shelf life through 12-22. A fresh one read 9.9V and is good through 4-27. There has to be some drain when in the smoke detector, but not a heck of a lot to last five years installed.

I am now sure that these weather guys and gals are grossly overpaid. One says there is an 84% chance of rain on Monday, another says 2%. I've seen where they didn't agree, but by that much, never...

I agree with Tom, gas prices are crazy. Fry's went from $3.91 in the morning to $4.29 in the afternoon. Costco is no longer on Gas Buddy's lowest price list at $3.93. Other stations up to $4.59. No reason other than demand since prices are going down elsewhere. Wonder what's going to happen when all the snowbirds get here. And remember, the railroad workers are planning on going out on strike. Very loyal, we are in the middle of a supply chain crisis and they don't seem to care.

I am thinking of re-evaluating my approach to my log cabin. I've got far too much time trying to get those notches right. There was a movie years ago about shrinking a guy small enough to inject him and a vehicle into a person to do medical repairs. I wonder, all I need would be a hand saw and not have to be shrunk quite as much. Just a thought. 35

Take care, have a great day and stay safe.

RE: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #IX.. Stop In!!! - sir james - 09-14-2022

Hello Blue
Sun and 80 today.
We have had a couple of cool nights, enough to tell the summer plants, times up.
If the RR workers strike that will give suppliers another excuse to raise prices. 
Last time I left the house was Saturday and gas was still at $3.89.
No special news here, just thought I'd check in.
S.J.

RE: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #IX.. Stop In!!! - FiatFan - 09-15-2022

Greetings, gang.

Partly cloudy and dark at 4:45 AM in the remote reaches of northern Iowa. Warm again today with a high in the mid 80s. Currently it's 69.

Yesterday was a little different. My phone line went dead a little after 8 AM. Since it also contains my internet I was incommunicado for most of the day yesterday. I called the phone company and the young lady insisted that the problem was with my modem. I tried several times to explain that without a dial tone the modem was useless.. Finally she scheduled a service call - for next Monday. Two hours later they discovered that the problem was theirs, not mine. I put out a text to the family and the text storm raged for the next hour with various suggestions ranging from pony express to carrier pigeons to tin cans and string. I told them that I appreciated all the creative suggestions and then told them they were all out of the will - again. Everything was back on line by 10:30 last night.

All stay safe.

Tom

RE: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #IX.. Stop In!!! - ezdays - 09-15-2022

Good morning everyone, yeah, it's about the same time here right now and won't get light for another hour. It's been cloudy early, kind of eery-looking as the sun comes up, then blue skies, nothin' but blue skies do I see.... Icon_redface 

Monday's forecast moved to Tuesday, 68% chance of rain says one, 20% says another. Still think they're overpaid dartboard forecasters...

Train folks might come to an agreement to avert a strike, something we don't need right now. It's affect would go on for years.

Gas is still on the rise, Costco and Sam's are no longer the lowest in town. There are still a few stations under $4.00, but I suspect that will change before the day's out.

Take care, stay safe and enjoy the day, just avoid watching the news, it's not only depressing, but usually no different from last week's...

RE: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #IX.. Stop In!!! - FiatFan - 09-16-2022

Greetings, gang.

64 and cloudy outside my window this morning. Had a brief shower move through earlier and there are chances for rain through the weekend. 84 for the high today.

Yesterday i had an acorn roundup. Took about 60 lbs of acorns to the yard waste site. In years past I have taken upwards of 300 lbs so this was a fairly easy year. I slept last night but I don't feel rested this morning. Not sure why. Probably won't get much accomplished today.

All stay safe.

Tom

RE: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #IX.. Stop In!!! - ezdays - 09-16-2022

Good morning all, little change here regarding the weather and gas prices. Hot and dry with little chance of rain. The TV guy says gas prices are dropping, yeah, the went up over 30 cents a few days ago and now they're down three cents. Wow, going to drive around the block a few times just so I can fill up at over $4.00 a gallon. I do admit, it's better than printer ink which comes in at around $10,000 a gallon if you buy it by the cartridge.

Here we are at another Friday. Got to go see my derma doctor as soon as possible. He cut off a Basel Cell from my hand yesterday and it won't stop bleeding. Taking Warfarin sucks sometime, and this is one of those times.

Not much else going on, I have made a major change on my log cabin build and it looks like it's going to work. I'll post a few pics in my build thread later on.

I was commenting on all the big box stores putting up their Halloween stuff two months before Halloween, but a friend said that he was at Lowe's the other day and they had their Christmas displays up already.

Take care everyone and have a great day.....

RE: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #IX.. Stop In!!! - tompm - 09-16-2022

Good morning folks

It is a crisp 58 this morning. I think a little chillier along the Schuylkill River. I needed my hoodie as I did my first walk around the site at 6 AM. Going up to 78.

I have not had a chance to post the last few days. Things have been crazier than normal at work and home. The project has shifted from doing the temporary things such as the cofferdam to doing the permanent items such as excavating for the new dam structures. Home has been centered around my wife's upcoming surgery. A visit to the cardiologist for clearance and yesterday was the pre-admission testing. Today she finds out what time she has to be at the hospital Monday.

I did get a chance to weigh some of the Roundhouse 50 FT wood express reefers. They are all light. Each needs about an ounce or an ounce and half to bring them up to NMRA's recommended weight.

I think we will try to do some gardening over the weekend. I have the weeping spruce to trim in the front and some bushes in the backyard. There is also some weeding to do. I have some grocery shopping to do and get gas for my wife's car and my car.

I have the Athearn Blue Box Union Tank Car to finish fixing. I need to add the brake wheel and the placards and then reassemble it.AFter that there is a Shell tank car with the same issues. Then there is horde of cars needing tuning up. I now know the Roundhouse express reefers need weight added. Perhaps I could even run some trains.

RE: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #IX.. Stop In!!! - Charlie B - 09-16-2022

Good morning.
        It is clear and 51 degrees here heading for a high of 80. 

Tom, I hate calling tech when I have a problem that I know is on their end of things. You can't tell these folks that you already turned things off or hit the reset button, or unplugged it or did all of the above.   am in a location where my cell phone has no service. It works over verizon and to improve I would have to go with ATT which would be to switch carriers and pay 4 times as much. The only real time I need it at home is when the internet goes down and I need to contact Comcast so if that happens (rarely) I can find a signal if I walk around the back yard, but explaining that to a Comcast agent trying to help me is like butting your head into a wall. I recently had to install a new comcast modem and it required their app to activate it, and of course I couldn't do it. I put the old router back in place to contact them and they activated the new one without it even being hooked up. When they did I lost internet and was totally dark so I just plugged the new router in and we were up and running.  It would have been nice had the tech person told me what was going to happen. 

I got the steering stabilizer installed on the motorhome. 45 minutes trying to understand the instructions and 15 minutes to put it on.  I also got the right side running board installed. I had bought one from a guy that was scrapping a motor home and it is identicle to the one on the left side.

Spent 4 hours last night putting details on an SD45.  I still have some to add but I was losing patience because my nimble fingers and eagle eyes got left behind about 40 years ago  Icon_e_biggrin

Everyone have a grand day. 

Charlie

RE: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #IX.. Stop In!!! - sir james - 09-16-2022

Hello Blue
Sun and 80s today. That will be the case into next week, then down she goes.
The summer plants are showing signs of fall, even a hint of falling leaves. Just a hint but it's started just the same. 
BLTs, with Ts from the garden will be the last of those too.
S.J.