The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #IX.. Stop In!!! - Printable Version

+- (https://bigbluetrains.com)
+-- Forum: The Depot (https://bigbluetrains.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Forum: Hobo's Camp (https://bigbluetrains.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=39)
+--- Thread: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #IX.. Stop In!!! (/showthread.php?tid=9237)

RE: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #IX.. Stop In!!! - Charlie B - 09-28-2022

Good cold morning. 
       We woke up to 41 darned cold degrees for this time of year here. We also have a slight chance of rain.

I have been working on a few models, the current big project is a decoder for a Bachmann Plus SD45. These are a little new for my era but I acquired some later diesels in a deceased friends collection I bought and I have to have them runable in his honor.  I found that the install isn't as bad as I have been led to believe so about a half an hours work today should have it running if all goes as well as it should. It is completely reassembled, all I need do is mount the decoder and install the headlights. 

I have nothing planned for the day, I will do what comes up. I have been trying to do at least one house/yard project every day. 

Don, keep those weeds at bay, the HOA may be using drones to nail you scoff laws. I know they don't see the back yards but just give them an excuse.  Wink

Tom, It is OK to call them great grandchildren. We are getting up in years. My oldest great grandkid is almost 17 and there are now 18 great grandchildren in the family. I hope he behaves, I am not ready to be great great.

My wife took Bonnie to the vet for an annual. The dog is fine. She had an appointment with the senior vet and he told her he was cutting back to 3 days a week and that he will be calling me because he has a new hobby, an HO railroad. He has had an HO train for years but never ran it but has taken over an empty bed room.  It will be nice to have a local involved and he is a great guy too. 

My prayers to the Florida folks too. 

Charlie

RE: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #IX.. Stop In!!! - FiatFan - 09-29-2022

Greetings, gang.

A little warmer outside my window this morning at 42. High for today is supposed to be in the upper 60s with a slight warming trend through the weekend. Sunny skies are supposed to prevail as well.

Decent workout at the gym yesterday followed by collecting a batch of leaves in the back yard. This morning I will dispose of the leaves while on my way to the grocery store. Nothing else planned for today.

All stay safe.

Tom

RE: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #IX.. Stop In!!! - ezdays - 09-29-2022

Good morning folks, hey Tom, when you finish with your leaves, if you have nothing else planned, I've got a few weeds in my backyard that sure need attention. And Charlie, the HOA doesn't need drones, in my case, the weeds are taller than the block wall. Icon_e_surprised I'm surprised I don't have any nasty notes from my neighbors.

Prayers for all those in Florida hit by Ian, the worse hurricane on record some say. As for our local weather, we've had six days of over 100, some say we're back into the 90's, the TV lady doesn't agree and said we have a few more days of 100. But, on the other hand, she also had some really sinister-looking maps and I thought we had storms coming from all directions. Turns out there was some light rain in the very NE and SE parts of the valley, that was it...

Gas Buddy is way behind, it shows one station at $4.19 when I know it was $4.59 yesterday. Costco is at $4.44, and a number of stations just hit the $5.00 mark and they're blaming Ian for it to go even higher.

I hope everyone does well today, stay safe and be careful, there are scammers wanting to use Ian as a way to get your "contributions", that is other than the oil companies. Years ago I was in a Dallas oil company office. The carpet was about a foot thick, they had real leather for wallpaper and everyone had an office with a window. I was there to work on their security system. I just wondered which part of that office did I pay for. Waiting

RE: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #IX.. Stop In!!! - FiatFan - 09-30-2022

Greetings, gang.

The mild fall weather continues at least through the weekend. 48 now headed for the mid 70s through the weekend.

Got my grocery shopping done yesterday and managed a short bike ride without negative impact. This morning I need to go to Menards and Harbor Freight. Also need to stop at the post office and see if they have DVD mailers. We no longer have an office supply store in town. I have some videos I need to mail to the kids.

In the morning I'll be heading to Omaha to watch the great-grandkids soccer games. Always fun. The skill level is a little low but the enthusiasm is high which makes for a fun family time. I'll be back Sunday evening.

Don - if the weeds get too bad you could always pick up a cheap chain saw at Harbor Freight. Personally I'm a firm believer in "Better Living Through Chemistry." Around the trains I use Roundup 365 which keeps the weeds at bay for an entire year. Seems to work fairly well. Other companies make similar chemicals.

All stay safe.

Tom

RE: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #IX.. Stop In!!! - ezdays - 09-30-2022

Good morning everyone, Friday already. According to all sources, we had our last 100+ weather yesterday. Today we're in the high 90's. Next week even some rain and high 80's, Fall has finally arrived in the desert. Applause Tomorrow is the first day of October, the official start of "the trek of the snowbirds". Yup, 40' RV's towing a VW, small SUV or sometimes a boat. Yeah, lots of lakes around here, all man-made for water storage. But most are way down, Lake Mead is almost 200' below normal and no one knows how it's ever going to get back where it belongs, yet they continue to build houses, apartments and condos at an alarming rate. We have one area that is due to have it's water cut because of some crazy agreement, another is having water trucked in. Doesn't matter, developers will do as they please.

Just about done with my log cabin, got the chinking done yesterday. Some touchup and add a roof and that should be it. Now, to find a place to put it is an issue, I had no plans for that, just a desire to build one.

Tom, getting rid of the weeds are no longer my problem, got to get someone in to remove them, roots and all. But your idea of spraying is a good one. The last guy to do my yard was suppose to have sprayed, but I haven't a clue as to what he used.

Everyone have a great weekend, stay safe and have some fun....

RE: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #IX.. Stop In!!! - tompm - 09-30-2022

Good afternoon folks

I finally have a chance to sit down and write something. Between our weeding anniversary, my daughter's birthday, and work it has been non stop. Work is a little crazy today as the contractor is doing some storm prep. We supposed to get a couple of inches of rain and some wind from Ian so they are moving equipment from low lying areas along the river. We aree expecting some flooding in the project site but not too much.

The only train stuff I have gotten done the past few days is I got to test my new BLI PRR E6 Atlantic. It ran very smoothly with no problems. I did not get to pull any cars. Hopefully I can do that his weekend. The only other thing I did was upgrade an Athearn blue box Reading coach. I changed the couplers to Kadee, added screws to the coupler clips and added metal wheels.

With the rainy weather this weekend we will be limited to indoor stuff. If I can get it before the rain starts there is a small garden I would like to weed. There will be Halloween decorations to bring up from the basement and put out and then there is the never-ending laundry.

Modeling wise I would like to run some trains. I want to get some cars behind the BLI E6 Atlantic. I also have a couple of other locos to test. I still have the large number of rolling stock I need to tune up.

I hope everybody has a good weekend.

RE: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #IX.. Stop In!!! - Charlie B - 09-30-2022

Good afternoon. 
        It is a beautiful day here after a 39 degree start. I had to go pick up the screws I need to install the rest of my gutter guards. I also had a couple prescriptions to pick up. 

I finished the decoder install on the Bachmann SD45 and after running a short time the new LED headlight started to flash off and on. The rear light was OK. I changed the LED and that solved the problem so that is one more locomotive added to the roster. 

It looks like we may get a little rain from Ian but only a little. 

Nothing planned. I will just do what I want for the week end. 

Stay safe and healthy
Charlie

RE: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #IX.. Stop In!!! - ezdays - 10-01-2022

Good afternoon, oops, morning. Well to me, it's almost afternoon, I did wake up around 4:00, my usual time, then the next time I looked at the clock it was 6:30, so it must be Saturday.

Our Monsoon Season is officially over. The TV lady said we had a chance of rain yesterday and had all the maps to prove it. She was wrong, not a drop anywhere. So statistics, the official monsoon rainfall for Phoenix (at the airport), was around 2 1/2", but here in Surprise (about 25 miles NE), we had 5 1/4" which was good, except for the weed things, just about everyone in the neighborhood is cleaning them up, but none like my backyard... Nope

Got some chores today, but might get in some football. Arizona State doesn't play until 7:30 tonight, so I'm sure I'll miss a good part of that game. They play USC (4-0) and my prediction is that it won't go that good for ASU (1-3), even with a new coach. That's the problem with sports, when a team wins they rah-rah the players, when they lose, they blame the coach.

Have a great weekend whatever it is you do, but don't forget those that no longer have homes and those still in the path if Ian...

EDIT: don't think I'll be able to see the ASU-USC game anyway, seems like DISH and ESPN have some sort of dispute and the game is on ESPN. Waiting

RE: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #IX.. Stop In!!! - jim currie - 10-02-2022

Don if your backyard is just gravel there's a herbicide called Double 6 that will keep weeds at bay for 4 to 6 years,
Jim

RE: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #IX.. Stop In!!! - ezdays - 10-02-2022

(10-02-2022, 09:09 AM)jim currie Wrote: Don if your backyard is just gravel there's a herbicide called Double 6 that will keep weeds at bay for 4 to 6 years,
Jim

Wow Jim, I gotta look that up. My son says that he's been buying some per-emergence at Moon Valley Nursery, but this sound better since his only lasts one year. I got to do better, the last time I had it cleaned up it cost me $400. A ripoff, but I had little choice.

Good morning all, glad I didn't have to watch ASU get trounced by USC last night. I didn't see that much football yesterday, maybe get to see the Cardinals play the Panthers today. They aren't doing that well either, but they do have a few eight-figure players on their roster, that should be good for something other than high ticket prices....

Temps are now settling down into the 90's, still hot, but bearable. Gas seems to be steady at $4.99, Costco is $4.54 while a few stations are over $5.00. Last week I filled up at $4.19, that didn't last...

Take care, ya all have a great and safe week.

RE: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #IX.. Stop In!!! - FiatFan - 10-03-2022

Greetings, gang.

Very dark and 54 this morning. Supposed to be sunny and near 80 later on.

Had a very fun weekend with my granddaughter and her family. Oldest great-granddaughter went to homecoming as a group with some other young ladies and apparently had a very successful evening. At some point she texted her mom that she now has a boyfriend. Of course there was absolutely no teasing when I saw her the next morning. Not much planned for today other than to unload the car and get the laundry caught up. My granddaughter sent some things home with me that need to go to her brother who lives here. Grandpa pack mule rides again!

All stay safe.

Tom

RE: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #IX.. Stop In!!! - ezdays - 10-03-2022

Good morning everyone, hope you all had a good weekend. Seeing pictures of the damage from Ian is heartbreaking. Makes me feel guilty when I complain about the weather here. I can't now, we're into the 90's all this week, some chance of rain, but that's debatable on a daily basis.

I see where DISH got all the Disney-owned channels back. Did not know this, but there are 20 of them including ESPN. I did miss the ASU-USC game because of that blackout, but as predicted, it was a blow-out for USC. One of these days I'm going to call DISH and either renegotiate my costs or switch back to DirectTV. 

Not much else going on, gas is up again, Costco at $4.64, lots of stations over $5.00 now. One station on Gas Buddy shows $4.19, but I know it's been $4.99 for at least a week. I reported it, but it won't change. I shudder what I'll see this morning on the way to breakfast....

Oh, a heads-up, tomorrow is National Taco Day. Went through two lists of, "where to get free tacos", but not one showed "FREE", all were deals like, "10 mini tacos for $2.00 at the 7-11".... or, "Super-duper-whooper Taco at Fuzzy's Taco Shop for only $3.00". Hate to see the regular price on that one. Well, I don't care since we don't have any Fuzzy's around our way anyway...

So much for that, have a great day, be careful and be safe....

RE: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #IX.. Stop In!!! - tompm - 10-03-2022

Good afternoon folks

It is a rainy 45. Going up to 51.

Saturday was a strange day. My wife lost two pieces of jewelry. Nothing expensive, each item probably $30 or less. She had them earlier in the day and then they disappeared. I caught my sleeve on the back door latch as I was taking the trash out and nearly wound up on the ground. Most of our mail got soaked even though where the mailbox has protection from the rain. I had a load of bed stuff in the dryer that did not dry twice due to things getting tangled up in a fitted sheet. We were supposed to go out and have our anniversary dinner but felt like we shouldn't push it. Sunday was a far better day. We still have not found the missing jewelry. We got most of the indoor Halloween decorations done. We started dusting the radiators. I filled the water tank on the heater. Finally got the bed stuff to dry and folded. We went to dinner for our anniversary and had an awesome meal at the Melting Pot.

On Saturday I stayed away from the trains. On Sunday I did some reorganizing and found a couple reefers I need to put in their bins.

Not much happening today so I am hoping to get some modeling time in.

I hope everybody has a good day.

RE: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #IX.. Stop In!!! - ezdays - 10-04-2022

Good morning good people, big storm in the valley yesterday, lots of wind and a smattering of rain. We got a little of both, not enough to show on the rain gauge, but I saw the rain coming down for about 10 minutes. The rest of this week is going to be in the low 90's, not too shabby, maybe more rain....

Tom, I hope you find the jewelry, sometimes the value is not in it's cost.

Costco gas is now up to $4.74, that's $1.10 more than two weeks ago,  the highest I see in the valley is $5.24. They are blaming refinery maintenance on the jump, but then I have to ask, why is gas in Tucson almost $2.00 a gallon less? Waiting

Working on my log cabin, adding a roof and a fireplace chimney, then it's time to figure out what I want to do with it.

Remember, today is National Taco Day, in addition to being Taco Tuesday, better get in line at Taco Bell early. Nope No free tacos anywhere without buying something else first, "spend $10.00 and we'll give you one 79 cent taco absolutely free" is basically how it works....

Take care, have a great day and stay safe...

RE: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #IX.. Stop In!!! - FiatFan - 10-04-2022

Greetings, gang.

Cloudy and 58 headed for partly cloudy and 78. Cool down starts tomorrow with highs in the upper 50s by Friday. 30% chance of rain tonight and tomorrow.

Went for a nice bike ride yesterday. Not sure what I'm going to do today. Gas prices up to their usual silliness. One station showing $3.54. Across the street price is $3.79. Sunday when I was in Omaha I needed to fill up. Around town here the 91 octane is usually about 30 to 40 cents higher than regular. In Omaha they wanted a buck more for 91 octane.

All stay safe.

Tom