The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #IX.. Stop In!!! - Printable Version

+- (https://bigbluetrains.com)
+-- Forum: The Depot (https://bigbluetrains.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Forum: Hobo's Camp (https://bigbluetrains.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=39)
+--- Thread: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #IX.. Stop In!!! (/showthread.php?tid=9237)

RE: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #IX.. Stop In!!! - ezdays - 10-09-2022

Good morning everyone, long time on the road, good to be back. Our trip to Durango brought us through the Hopi and Navajo reservations in Arizona and the Ute in Colorado. We spent a few minutes in New Mexico and came within a mile of the Four Corner Monument where Arizona, Utah, New Mexico and Colorado meet. Some claim that the actual site is 1800 feet away, others claim a 2.5 mile error, but the monument is embedded in concrete, so they're not about to move it. We also spent a day touring Mesa Verde in Colorado, I've got a few photos of that and some scenery on the reservation that I can post.

Temps here are in the high 80's, low 90's with a slight chance of rain this afternoon. Gas is still too high.

Going to rest and watch some football today. Apparently, Arizona State beat Washington yesterday, maybe a new coach is what they needed.

Enjoy the day.. 2285_

RE: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #IX.. Stop In!!! - FiatFan - 10-10-2022

Greetings, gang.

Clear and 42 outside my window this morning. Our very good friends at the National Weather Service has scheduled clear skies and dry conditions for those partaking tin the annual harvest here in the remote reaches of northern Iowa with a high in the mid 70s. Tomorrow will be similar but a little more windy. Then cooler weather arrives tomorrow evening along with a 50% chance of rain.

Fairly quiet day yesterday. Watched a rain shortened F1 race. Fortunately I had taped it since it was broadcast at midnight last night. I was able to fast forward through the broadcasters attempts to fill the space while the red flag was in effect. After that I went to the cemetery and tended to the graves for my wife and son. After all this time (7 years fr my wife and almost 2 for my son) it still seems unreal.

In the afternoon I traveled to Boone for a football game for my great-grandson. I left early enough that I was able to take a quick tour of the Boone and Scenic Valley Railway. I was looking for a birthday gift for a modeler friend but couldn't find anything there.

Gas price was holding steady $3.69 through the weekend. Kind of afraid to look this morning when we have our weekly Monday price hike.

All stay safe.

Tom

RE: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #IX.. Stop In!!! - Charlie B - 10-10-2022

Good morning
        1we have a nice day coming our way with 68 degrees and clear skies. 

I managed to install the leaf guards on the side porch gutters yesterday. Only 27 feet but after doing the 42 feet on the train building all in one day I learned my lesson. I didn't have a single leg cramp during the night.  I will do some of the westr side of the house today and I am installing ice breakers as I go. 

I did work on the trains for a while yesterday and Saturday I got a new battery for the RV. I still need to get a heavy duty marine battery for the house side of the RV but that can wait. 

Prayers for everyone to remain healthy and active. 

Charlie

RE: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #IX.. Stop In!!! - ezdays - 10-10-2022

Good morning good people, temps are running around normal, 89 for today with, "plenty of sunshine", says AccuWeather. Gas holding steady, most right at $5.00, a few higher. They say that the higher cost in the Phoenix area is due to refinery maintenance and transportation, but that doesn't explain why gas is a dollar cheaper out in the boonies and almost two dollars cheaper in Tucson. Waiting

Got my log cabin finished, will post photos today, then try to figure out what to do with it. I guess I need to get back to finishing up my trackwork, it's been so long that I forgot where I left off.

Nothing else happening here, the Arizona Cardinals missed a FG the last second and lost. I thought about signing on, try to get into that $10,000,000 pay grade, even pro-rated for a few plays would put me in a higher tax bracket, and probably in ICU for a while, but I wouldn't play any worse than they are now.... Nope 

Y'all have a great day, stay safe, and yeah Charlie, prayers for those in need, especially those that are still struggling to get back what they lost from Ian, and those in the Ukraine.

RE: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #IX.. Stop In!!! - tompm - 10-10-2022

Good afternoon, folks

It is currently 62 on its way to 67. It was downright chilly this morning when I got to the job site. Weather site up the road said it 41 but I think it was closer to 38 down along the river.

Had a pretty good weekend. Saturday, I worked. After I got home the wife, and I went and got our COVID boosters and flu shots. We then went to PetSmart for Guinea Pig and cat food, and FedEx to drop off a package for my wife. We thought about running to the nursery to get some mums and then dinner, but the traffic took a turn for the worst. It went from nothing to bad rush hour in no time at all. We decided to head home and call out for delivery.

Sunday, we got my car washed and then headed to the nursery to get some mums. I also grabbed a bag of tulips bulbs that I will plant when I take out the marigolds and inpatients in the front garden. Then a quick jaunt to across the state line to Delaware for gas and a stop at Target. Once back at home and after a bowl of my daughter’s cheesy bacon potato soup I put up about 80% of the outside decorations. I still have a couple of bushes to put lights on and put out the blow-up dragon.

For the weekend I finished building three NYO&W Train Miniature of Illinois hoppers, changed out the couplers on three Bachmann poultry transport cars, and two Bowser PRR stock cars. On a B&O MOW tank car Athearn blue box kit I added the brake wheel, placards, metal wheels, and screws to hold in the Kadee couplers.

Tonight, I was scheduled for an MRI but that just got canceled due to the machine being down. We’ll try again next week. I will be looking to finish those outside decorations and maybe running some trains.

I hope everybody has a good day

RE: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #IX.. Stop In!!! - jim currie - 10-10-2022

hi all. well another Monday has rolled around, haven't done much as I'm having DVT troubles again going to VA in Tucson tomorrow hope they can do something. will let you know price of gas there. 
stay safe Jim

RE: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #IX.. Stop In!!! - FiatFan - 10-11-2022

Greetings, gang.

Clear skies again this morning and probably the last warm day of the season with a predicted high near 80. Temperatures start to drop tomorrow for the remainder of the week. Chance of rain overnight tonight but not much expected. Very windy today and tomorrow. Red flag warning expected later this morning due to the low humidity, high wind and temperature, and dry crops.

Yesterday was surprisingly busy. After the gym i scraped the loose paint off a couple of basement windows and washed out the window wells. then got the hose coiled up and put away for the season (probably too soon). Went for a nice bike ride. After I got home from that I decided to get the louvers down from the dormers and repair and repaint them. Got the back ones down with no problem. Got to the roof of the porch and tried to pull the ladder up and it slipped out of my hand. Yup, stranded. Fortunately a neighbor came out a few minutes later and was able to help me. Went to plan B and carried the ladder through the house, up the stairs, and out the bedroom window. Mission accomplished.

This morning i need to go to Walmart and the grocery store. The cupboards are getting surprisingly bare. After that I need to see what boards I need to repair the louvers and get the need supplies from Menards. Also need to paint the windows I scraped and washed yesterday. All in all another busy day ahead.

Gas price surprised me and dropped a few pennies yesterday - down to $3.65.

All stay safe.

Tom

RE: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #IX.. Stop In!!! - ezdays - 10-11-2022

Good morning folks, the word "sunny" appears every day in the next few week's forecast except Sunday when it's suppose to rain in the morning. No change in temps, around 90 for a high, no change in gas prices, still getting ripped off.

Not much else going on, one appointment this morning, all house chores are done so I get to do what I want. I think I found a place for my log cabin, need to do a bit of landscaping and make it kind of a historic preservation site. Maybe build a small park with a park ranger house using those round logs that Jim Currie sent me. Us old folk have to keep busy so we don't start losing important parts of us, like our minds.... Icon_rolleyes

Lots of screwy football this weekend, excessive penalties, last second flubs, streakers on the fields and in one case, a "roughing the photographer" incident.... Not as many dance or "look at me strut like a chicken" routines, but one is too many.

Have a great day, have fun and stay safe...

RE: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #IX.. Stop In!!! - Charlie B - 10-11-2022

Good morning
       After a cool start we are to have a beautiful day. 

I repaired the flashing on the west end of our side sun porch and began installation of the leaf guards on the west side of the house.  I also installed some of the ice breakers while I was at it. I only did 10 feet and called it quits. I learned my lesson about too many trips up the ladder. I feel good this morning so maybe I can finish this side. There are 32 feet left to do.  

I have one more locomotive to paint and I may do that later, and perhaps a tiny bit of layout work. 

We have no rain forecasted until tomorrow night and then all hell breaks loose acording to the local storm team weather procrastinators. Wink

Have a great day everyone. 
Charlie

RE: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #IX.. Stop In!!! - FiatFan - 10-12-2022

Greetings, gang.

It's a not unpleasant 51 degrees this morning. Got about an eighth of an inch of rain overnight with the potential for more this afternoon. A very windy high in the upper 60s is predicted for the day.

Another productive day yesterday. The cupboards are fully stocked again and I have the lumber to repair the louvers. Also go the last two window wells painted. After my little adventure on the porch roof I had decided to leave the ladder there until I finished repairing and painting the louvers. Then the NWS started talking about 50-60 mph winds so I now have a 16 foot ladder in the sewing room.

Gas price jump must have been delayed due to Columbus (or Native American, in some states) Day. Jumped to $3.79

All stay safe.

Tom

RE: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #IX.. Stop In!!! - Charlie B - 10-12-2022

Good morning.
        I did get the leaffilters on the west side of the house and the ice breakers on except for the last 6. I ran out of screws (I knew I would). I gave my son a couple pounds of them last fall and I will ask for a few back to finish this job. He plans on a metal roof on his garage but hasn't got around to doing it yet. He collects trains. He is single, a disabled vet, and has filled his home with trains. Did I mention he collects trains.  He has trains everywhere. his main obsession is O 3 rail but he collects all scales. He has even built a back yard railroad about 15 inch gauge. Here is a photo of his friend riding it. It is built from scrap pieces and the gas motor is in the tender.     

No ladder work today. I don't feel too bad so I am not pushing my luck. Storms are predicted tonight but we have sereral nice days left in the forecast so I will just do ground work today.  I even had a nice little fire in our fire ring last night. 

Sending wishes for a good day for everyone. Time for another on line meeting now that Don's trip is over. 

Charlie

RE: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #IX.. Stop In!!! - ezdays - 10-12-2022

Good morning all, gee, I missed Columbus Day, that used to be a day off from school, now they've turned it into a disgrace day.

Temps up a bit, mid-90's, I looked at the county map and clicked on, "weather data" and by each sensor location a bunch of numbers showed up, different colors, but there is no key to tell you what they mean. 72, 42, 31, 0, 8, 22, 2 and NSW (which I assume is wind direction), but not a clue what they rest are all about. Almost like Walmart, some items have no prices on either the item or the shelf and they have removed all those "check prices here" readers. Now you have to find someone with a hand scanner, take a chance at checkout or just walk away. I checked the list and no, this is not "Mind Reader Day"... Among other things, today is "National Gumbo Day" Applause ....

Gas is still in the gouging range, but the TV lady said that those refineries that have been causing high prices in the Phoenix area (but not elsewhere), are back on line and we could see as much as a dollar drop soon.

So much for that, if I sound grumpy, some of these things, along with all those political ads, are good cause to be that way. When I was in Durango, I was watching some stations from Denver and Albuquerque and those negative ads are like a disease, spread all over our country to the point that you don't feel like voting for anyone. Nope ...

Take care, be good and be careful... Icon_e_biggrin

RE: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #IX.. Stop In!!! - FiatFan - 10-13-2022

Greetings, gang.

39 and partly cloudy this morning in the remote reaches of northern Iowa. Only the low 50 for a high today with winds approaching 40 mph. The NWS has issued a fire danger warning (not a red flag yet) due to low humidity, high winds, and very dry crops.

I did get the louvers repaired yesterday and this afternoon I'll start scraping the old paint. Not much else planned for today.

All stay safe.

Tom

RE: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #IX.. Stop In!!! - tompm - 10-13-2022

Good morning, folks,

It is 61 heading up to 68. We are waiting for the rain to start.

It has been a couple of crazy days at work and home which is why I have not had an opportunity to post much. At work it was insane as they were preparing to do a concrete pour and the ensuing debate between the contactor and designer as to when to do it. For now, the pour is postponed. At home it has been putting out the Halloween decorations and the cleaning that goes with it. There has also been the dealing with prescription issues such as the wrong medicine and dosage being called in.

As a result of the madness, I have gotten very little done in the way of modeling. I am hoping it will calm down and I get something done.

I am waiting to hear if I need to do a pharmacy run on the way home this afternoon.

I hope everybody has a good day.

RE: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #IX.. Stop In!!! - ezdays - 10-13-2022

Good morning everyone, not much change here, we will be around 95 today and tomorrow, and into the high 70's by Sunday. Suppose to rain all weekend too. I'll take that, I was headed to the car was yesterday but aborted, glad I did.

No  big change in gas, some stations  are down a few pennies, others are up a few. The range I see is from $4.60 to $5.39.

Going to take it easy one more day. Need to call the IRS and find out where my refund check is, but that's almost a waste of time. After pushing buttons, "press 1 for this, 2 for that", you get to someone that says, "sorry, we're too busy to take your call, try again later". They are suppose to add 80,000 new IRS employees, none of which are scheduled for phone duty I suppose....

Enjoy the day and stay safe... it's a jungle out there....