The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #IX.. Stop In!!! - Printable Version

+- (https://bigbluetrains.com)
+-- Forum: The Depot (https://bigbluetrains.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Forum: Hobo's Camp (https://bigbluetrains.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=39)
+--- Thread: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #IX.. Stop In!!! (/showthread.php?tid=9237)

RE: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #IX.. Stop In!!! - Charlie B - 02-01-2021

Good evening all
We had about 6 inches of snow total. My neighbor beat me to my driveway once again. His plow equipped quad does in 5 minutes what it takes a half hour with my snow blower so I am happy for sure. We had some melt this afternoon, enough it will freeze and be treacherous on the roads tonight.
I am still scanning and cleaning up family photos for everyone. I will probably upset some folks because i have been told by some not to include ex wives in the pictures or not to use a certain name because they don't like them.  Well, I'm the one doing them and when you have children that have a missing mother that isn't quite fair, besides, I know what a pain it is to do genealogy and I want someone in a hundred years to think they have hit the jackpot.  Icon_e_biggrin Besides that, the parents liked the name enough to put in on your birth certificate. Misngth

I have a couple new sound decoders to try out. They have a variety of different prime movers so I am anxious to see what they sound like and at 21 bucks plus 4 bucks shipping the price isn't bad (they are sound only)

I did cast a few more vehicles, this time with Duro bound 90. The first batch turned out very well, the second batch not so good.  I just use them to populate the layout so they won't get scrutinized too often. 

Well, we shall see what the weather brings tomorrow, in the mean time, cheers and good health to all.
Charlie

RE: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #IX.. Stop In!!! - FiatFan - 02-02-2021

Happy Ground Hog Day, gang.

Foggy and 19 in the remote reaches of northern Iowa this morning. The fog could stick around until mid afternoon so if Phil were to relocate to Iowas there would only be 6 weeks if winter left.

Quiet day yesterday. Gym in the morning. Phone calls and paying bills in the afternoon. Got a text from my daughter-in-law last night about the progress of her daughter's cancer treatment. "Results of scan were encouraging. Cancer virtually gone in tissues. Still in bones. MRI show a 2mm something on base of brain and one facial nerve that seems thicker than normal. But since there was no baseline MRI they could be nothing at all. Shadows or normal or whatever. Next scan in April. Started AC chemo today."

This morning I'll head to Walmart for some supplies followed by a trip to the gym. Also need to get in touch with my lawyer about the administrator affidavit.

Gas price dropped 12 cents yesterday. Down to $2.12.

All stay safe.

Tom

RE: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #IX.. Stop In!!! - tompm - 02-02-2021

Good morning folks,

Temperature is 30 and our high is supposed to be 33. It is snowing lightly at the moment. According to the weather shaman it could continue snowing until 6 PM. I am trying to decide when to fire up the snowblower. I don’t want to do it too early and have to go back and do it again. I am not sure how much snow we got but it looks about 8 to 12 inches in the backyard.

We have had a visitor to the pond the last couple of mornings. On Sunday night I saw footprints in the snow. Yesterday morning I confirmed my suspicions and saw the fox. He jumped the fence and went over to the pond to get a drink. He looked good with a nice bushy tail. This morning there are more footprints out there.

Not much done yesterday. Kept an eye on the snow and cleared the doorways several times. I did some laundry and helped the wife decorate for Valentine’s Day. I did not get to do anything with the layout or the workbench. We will see how I feel after clearing the snow today if any modeling gets done.

Just heard the rodent from western Pennsylvania saw his shadow. Six more weeks of winter.

I hope everybody has a good day.

RE: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #IX.. Stop In!!! - ezdays - 02-02-2021

Good morning everyone, temps right now in the mid-50's heading into the 70's. Rain is virtually out of the picture now until the end of next week, which is good since we plan on going target shooting Friday, regardless of the weather.

Gas prices here are down about four cents. Independents running at $2.45, Costco and Sam's club up ten cents to $2.19. Name brands are still proud of their gas holding at $2.59. Got another invite from Sam's Club, become a member for $45 and get a $45 gift card, so basically, you get a free membership to there providing you buy everything there. I'm happy at Costco and it's closer to the house.

Got to get a new router. Too many devices on my WiFi for the one I've had for some time now. Five echo devices, five smart light switches, two smart plugs, two TV sets, a spare computer and a DVR. My WiFi keeps going off-line from trying to keep up and it's so much fun to get everyone back on line only to find they go off again a few hours later. Who invented all this anyway???

RE: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #IX.. Stop In!!! - Chief Eagles - 02-02-2021

34 and mostly cloudy. Suppose to have sun and big wind-chill. Staying in. Wifey off to the shop.

Mobile groomer [our little buddy originally from Long Island] is here.

Tell us folks down here thanks for the record snow fall up North. 

Menards factory front coming today for layout. Install and light it up. Nice heat in the Train Box.

State shorted Wake Co. about 6,500 Doses this week. Giving them to smaller counties.

Stay well and safe.

RE: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #IX.. Stop In!!! - BR60103 - 02-02-2021

Nice to hear there's only 6 more weeks of winter.
I'm sprucing up (possibly literally) a corner of the layout. Outside of a curve, I have a rise of polywhatsit. I'm trying to make it look more like land. SWMBO had it covered with Christmas trees -- about a boxful.I'm not sure yet how to do the vertical surface.

RE: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #IX.. Stop In!!! - ezdays - 02-03-2021

Good morning good friends, just so it doesn't sound like I'm bragging, I'll keep it short, but we hit at least 82 yesterday tying a 1925 record, maybe breaking it.

They announced that there were going to be 21,000 new appointments opening as of midnight, the age is now lowered to 65. Can you imagine the traffic jam at the county web site? So far they've given out 700,000 doses of vaccine in Arizona. I can remember when that was the population of the state, a very long time ago, so they have a long way to go to get everyone taken care of. There are still some that won't get a shot regardless, some are thinking, "government tracking", some are afraid of what might happen, and there are still a few that think this is all a conspiracy.

Got lucky yesterday, took a chance and showed up at the pawn shop, and they had a few boxes of 9MM so I snagged one at a reasonable price. They also had some .22 shorts for $10 a box of 50. I didn't even think they sold .22 shorts anymore, but I passed, too much for too little.

Got my new router, "easy installation" they say, only 18 steps to success. Icon_e_surprised Just that there are so many option menus along the way and I haven't a clue what they mean. I can just go along with the defaults, but why give you so many choices if it's not necessary? For example, I can set my WAN access type to, "static IP", "DHCP", "PPPoE", "PPTP" or "L2TP"..... Surly, they jest, nice that I have so many choices, but I haven't a clue what any of that means. If I randomly pick the wrong one, I just may see a puff of smoke along the line. Waiting Going to do some research just to satisfy my curiosity.

RE: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #IX.. Stop In!!! - ngauger - 02-03-2021

Don, just before you toss in the towel....Call P.J. Big Grin Big Grin

Did I ever mention how much I hate snow? well there it is.... 6 or 8 inches.
I hate cold weather too and as I get older, I dislike it more.

I have a friend that says "I like rain! You don't have to shovel it"!

RE: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #IX.. Stop In!!! - tompm - 02-03-2021

Good morning folks

It is 29 at the moment, going up to 33 so they say. According to the news Upper Darby got 9 inches. In my backyard and driveway, I am going to say it was closer to 12. Took me a little over an hour to clear the driveway and sidewalk with the snow blower. Best investment I made since retirement was buying a new one. We had been without one for about four years and I know my body would not have been able to take shoveling the driveway.

Even with the snow blower I was pretty much done physically yesterday. I spent a good part of the day recovering and shaking off the cold in front of the fireplace.

Today I have some errands to run. Afterward I want to take a look at the layout and decide what is next.

I hope everybody has a good day.

RE: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #IX.. Stop In!!! - FiatFan - 02-03-2021

Greetings, gang.

Blizzard warning already posted for tomorrow - high winds, dropping temperatures, assorted liquid and frozen materials dropping for the sky. 19 now headed for 35 today and tonight. Temps will start to fall sometime tomorrow. Then very cold into next week with lows below zero and highs only in the single digits.

Not much accomplished yesterday. Trip to the gym and Walmart. After that I pretty much goofed off the rest of the day. Today looks to be much the same.

Gas price jumped from $2.12 to $2.29 yesterday.

All stay safe.

Tom

RE: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #IX.. Stop In!!! - ezdays - 02-03-2021

(02-03-2021, 06:53 AM)ngauger Wrote: Don, just before you toss in the towel....Call P.J.  Big Grin  Big Grin

Did I ever mention how much I hate snow?  well there it is....  6 or 8 inches.
I hate cold weather too and as I get older, I dislike it more.

I have a friend that says "I like rain! You don't have to shovel it"!

Already talked to him, I told him by the time I get finished installing the router, he can call me for advice. Icon_lol  After looking up what some of that stuff means, I'm just going with the defaults and hope for the best.

Oh, and our motto here is, "you don't have to shovel sunshine".... I told that to my SIL in upstate NY last night when she told me that she had shoveled a path in a foot of snow for her car to get out, and when she went to get in, snow fell off a nearby roof and she had to start over again. Eek Funny, except that she's 80.

RE: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #IX.. Stop In!!! - Charlie B - 02-03-2021

Good morning.
     It's cold here and I won't bother with the temps. I ran the snowblower for an hour yesterday so the parking area is cleared and the driveway was done with a quick pass by the neighbor on his quad. It's not pristine but passable so good enough. We are rural so we will let mother nature remove the rest when she has the time.
      We go for our first shot Friday. Our county has a drive thru set up at the fairgrounds so you don't even leave your car. Everyone that has had the shots there say they move along pretty fast, and they actually have the drive thru in a huge tent that holds 12 cars at a time. 

I am back to working on the Shodee photo collection. I am merging the fronts with the information that was written on the back. I have about 500 left to do. 

Cheers
Charlie

RE: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #IX.. Stop In!!! - Chief Eagles - 02-03-2021

Good morning.  Off to the Vet and waited.  Only impatient was Lucy. Finn laid on the backseat as usual.  Then to BoJ's and waited in line forever.  That was strange.  Then got to window and saw their swipey thingy was not working. 

Now get shave and shower.  Go to Tractor Supply and load up bags of deer feed pellets.  Headed east tomorrow.  Refill feeders for rest of winter, spring and summer. Rebuild two feeder timers and motors [very old].  Parts cheaper than buying new ones. 

Wait for Vet to call.  Go pickup Lucy and Finn.  Bet they will get to them in a hurry.  Lucy will bark all the time.

Vaccine distribution a mess in NC.  Wake Co. the largest in NC is ranking 99 in getting vaccine doses.  State announced they increased doses to Wake Co.  Well, they took WakeMed's doses and gave to the County.  No increase at all. 

Have a good one. 

RE: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #IX.. Stop In!!! - Chief Eagles - 02-04-2021

Temp?. Weather station was working late night. Not this AM. New batteries. Really old so maybe needs replacing.

Out the door to the farms east. Fill and rebuild two feeders. Recharged batteries in all.

Enjoy your day and stay well.

RE: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #IX.. Stop In!!! - ezdays - 02-04-2021

Good morning all, right now it not quite 5:00 and we're into the high 50's. It tried to rain yesterday, not enough to make anything wet, just drops. They've got a 1% chance of rain in the forecast for the next few days.

Did some research on all those terms I found in my router setup menus. Now that I know what they mean, I'm still just going with the defaults. Why do they make things that should be easy, very complex? Some of those menus have 10 choices. You always wonder, what if I chose the wrong setting, will the WiFi police show up at my door, or will there just be a large BANG!! and lots of smoke.... Icon_rolleyes Why can't I just plug in a piece of equipment and let it do its thing? Remember, "plug N play"? What happened to that? Waiting