The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #IX.. Stop In!!! - Printable Version

+- (https://bigbluetrains.com)
+-- Forum: The Depot (https://bigbluetrains.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Forum: Hobo's Camp (https://bigbluetrains.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=39)
+--- Thread: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #IX.. Stop In!!! (/showthread.php?tid=9237)

RE: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #IX.. Stop In!!! - ezdays - 12-29-2022

Good morning, a chilly and damp one by our standards. It rained all morning yesterday, over 1/2", with a reasonable chance for more today and tomorrow. So far the year's total is 5.68", about what some places can get in a day. My heart goes out for those still battling those blizzards.

Heading to Brenda's this morning, I hope they have enough food to serve. The word is out that the current owner has not been paying the former owner and she will be back tomorrow to take it back and possibly have a new owner waiting. In the meantime, they have not been restocking the pantry and have run out of things already. Brenda and her husband made a decent living when they owned it. Good food, reasonable prices and they knew all their regulars by name and treated them like family. As her husband puts it, this is a people business, the last two owners treated it like a numbers only business, never even said "good morning" to anyone. Anyway, come Monday, it will either be closed, or have another owner.

I started to work on my 3D wooden steam engine that I got for Christmas. "No glue required" says the box. It's not really a puzzle, but a step-by-step assembly. Step one has you put together the core that holds the spring. Just nine pieces that you have to assemble in a hole that's in a larger piece and cannot be pre-assembled away from the larger piece. It takes about a half-hour to get those nine pieces together, because it falls apart when you put in the last piece. So after about 42 attempts I put a rubber band to hold them in place and that worked until I got to step two and had to remove the band..... It is getting quicker to assemble those pieces, I can do it in less than ten minutes now. I do believe I am going to find a tube of CA today, that "No Glue" is a bunch of BS....

Take care everyone, have a good day and all stay safe.

RE: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #IX.. Stop In!!! - FiatFan - 12-29-2022

Greetings, gang.

35 and cloudy. The snow is disappearing and will continue to do so for a while. Daytime highs are predicted to be above freezing for the next several days, including some rain on Monday and Monday night.

Very quiet around here. I set the trash out as usual last night but now I'm rethinking that. I think the city crews had Monday off so that means our trash collection will be Friday instead of Thursday. In other news the DNR is sponsoring a first day walk at a nearby park on January 1st. The weather looks reasonable so I may go just to get out of the house for a while. Supposed to take an hour or two for the two mile walk. Guides will point out interesting features and wildlife.

All stay safe.

Tom

RE: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #IX.. Stop In!!! - Charlie B - 12-29-2022

Good morning.
         We have a warming trend and right now the temperature is 45 F so the little snow we had will be gone by days end.

I began installing street lights on the layout yesterday. I made a wiring harness so I could be in and out under the table in a hurry but after I made the harness I decided to group the lams differently so I will make a new one this morning. I have 20 lights and I will be using a 5.5 volt wall wart for them. They wont be bright but they are incandescent bulbs so I want them to last. 

Railcop is coming for a visit this afternoon. We will probably drink coffee and tell lies for a while 

I pray everyone has a safe and Happy New Year 

Cheers
Charlie

RE: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #IX.. Stop In!!! - TMo - 12-29-2022

Started out today in the 20's, it's now reached the low 50's with sun. Would have been a great day to get out and play golf.

This is the kids' last day here in Maryland - they make the long drive down to central Texas tomorrow morning with a stop in Nashville. They've been busy with all of the various friends and relatives - my wife and I feel like we're relegated to dog-sitting. Would have enjoyed doing more with them while they're staying with us, but what can you do?

Took a walk on the Ma and Pa Trail with the bride and our dog this morning. It's mostly flat, being (for the most part) built on the former main of the Maryland and Pennsylvania RR (hence the name) and the trail originates in the center of our zip code. Walked about 2 miles down and 2 miles back.

I should actually get some layout time tomorrow - what little I've been able to do has been relegated to some rock details and painting. Have to do more detail painting on the rocks between the tracks and the backdrop before adding detail trees and shrubs in the Mud Run section. However, if I do get some time tomorrow, I should have some pictures to share.

Been researching some good armature options for Mountain Laurel (the state flower of PA) and Rhododendron which is plentiful in the Lehigh Valley gorge. I think I'm going to try to use last year's end-growth of some of my Spirea bushes and hit them with some spray adhesive and SuperLeaf. We'll see how that goes.

RE: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #IX.. Stop In!!! - FiatFan - 12-30-2022

Greetings, gang.

Cloudy and 24 headed for still cloudy and 33. At least it's above freezing and the snow melt should continue.

Quiet day yesterday. Quick trip to the doctor for an ongoing minor problem. Quiet again today.

Several years ago (maybe 5?) the city upgraded all the street lights to LED. Spent many thousands of dollars to do so. The new street light by my house is blinking off and on and will probably eventually fail. I've lived in this house for over 40 years and this is the first street light I can recall that has failed. Maybe the city should have just left the lights alone and replace them as needed rather than all at once.

In another old man grumble my cell phone has started sending me links to youtube videos. A search of the internet gave me the solution. Seems the phone mysteriously turned on the switch that sends me notifications of new youtube videos. Interestingly enough the videos appeared to be similar to a couple of videos that I had looked at on a news site earlier in the day.

Todd - I have the same problem when my kids visit. It seems they spend as much time visiting with friends as they do with me.

All stay safe.

RE: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #IX.. Stop In!!! - tompm - 12-30-2022

Good morning, folks

Currently it is 39 heading up to 54.

For a light week it has been busy. I had to go work the last three days including today. My assignment is to make sure the contractor actually does nothing since they decided to shut down for the week. This contractor has a reputation for pulling fast ones and lives by the principle of “it is better to ask for forgiveness than permission.” So far they have been good.

At home I was finally able to remove the lights and roof cover from the gazebo. I still need to bring in the electrical outlet. I may just move it closer to the garage that way I can use it for starting the snow blower.

For New Year’s Eve we are not planning much. It will be my wife, daughter, son, and myself. We will do our usual sit around and wait for the ball to drop, make some noise, and have a toast. Most likely we will be in bed by 12:30. I have some things I threw in the garage during the cold spell that I need to officially put away. I need to get a new “mop” so we can clean the downstair floors better. I had to toss the old one after it broke. Will ring in the new year with some laundry.

I test ran my new Athearn Genesis Western Maryland (circus scheme) F3A locomotives. They are nice runners.

I plan to run some trains. I am going to use the Athearn Genesis Western Maryland F3A locomotives to pull a coal drag. I then will be tuning up some coal hoppers and then organizing them. If time permits, I will add screws to coupler clips and change out the McHenry couplers on some Athearn and Roundhouse RTR cars. Another task will be searching through my stash of decals and dry transfers. I just acquired an unlettered Proto 1000 RDC that I plan to convert into a fantasy NYO&W scheme. I am also waiting for an unlettered BLI E6 4-4-2 that I will letter for Pennsylvania-Reading Seashore Lines.

I hope everybody has a good day and a Happy New Year!

RE: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #IX.. Stop In!!! - Charlie B - 12-30-2022

Good morning
        I managed to put decals on 2 box cars last night and revamped the wiring lighting harness I had made. Today I plan to work on the layout and my daughter said she wanted to help so I will let her do the awkward stuff like wiring under the table. 
We have a warm morning with the high today to hit 57 
        Sending best wishes for the new Year 
Charlie

RE: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #IX.. Stop In!!! - TMo - 12-30-2022

(12-30-2022, 06:59 AM)FiatFan Wrote: Todd - I have the same problem when my kids visit.  It seems they spend as much time visiting with friends as they do with me.

They left at 9 AM.  We did take them out to dinner and my son came up from the basement to talk to us for about an hour before going to bed, which was probably more time than we got with him since they arrived 10 days ago.  Hey, I'm married and I understand that your priorities have to change when you get married, but this "visit" was a little ridiculous.  I also understand that when you're pregnant you want to rest a lot, but I would have thought there would have been some time to sit around the table and talk.  Disappointing.

Beautiful t-shirt weather here in MD right now.  I was out helping load up their car and roof-top bag with a sweatshirt on.  Quickly shed that.

I was thinking about playing golf, but I would imagine everyone has the same idea right about now.  Instead I'm going to Home Depot to buy a PVC door jamb kit to replace the jamb in my shed which is rotting away at the base.  Seems like a good use of one of my gift cards the kids got me.

My wife started piling the Christmas decorations on the dining room table.  This is a prelude to this weekend when she'll be banging the drum to put everything away.  Seems like yesterday when I was getting everything down from the attic.  THUS, plans for some uninterrupted model railroading will probably have to be abandoned.

Gas went up 30 cents over the past 3 days.  Probably with the increase in demand for the holiday weekend (fingers crossed).

RE: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #IX.. Stop In!!! - ezdays - 12-30-2022

Good morning, a bit late this morning but I had a few things to do. Had a Harbor Freight coupon for 25% off, but it excluded all of their popular brands and other things like jacks and storage. I've been wanted a pressure washer and by golly, it wasn't on the exception list, so there I go, $67 for a 1750psi washer. I also bought a bandsaw with a 10% off coupon the other day. These are among things I either sold or gave away when we were moving one time. I still have a few more tools I need to replace but I have my eye on those elsewhere.

Not too chilly out, mid-50's heading to the mid-60's. We did have about 1/4" of rain this morning with a really good chance of rain on New Years Day.

I'm waiting for on piece of door trim to get my truck back and they won't let me take it as-is since they say the window will leak without it. The part is somewhere between here and the Honda warehouse. Maybe today, maybe next week, they will not commit....

Take care, have a great day.

RE: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #IX.. Stop In!!! - sir james - 12-30-2022

Hello Blue
Lite rain and 52 degrees. Our snow is gone.
New Year's Eve will be spent at home. Wife goes to bed. I stay up till the ball drops. 
Not like our younger days. Our meal will be sloppy joes and tater salad. Goes back to those days, eat when you can hold your head up.
S.J.

RE: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #IX.. Stop In!!! - FiatFan - 12-31-2022

Happy New Year's Eve, gang.

Clear and 28. Supposed to get to maybe the low 40s later on.

Woke up at 2:30 and couldn't get back to sleep. Finally got out of bed around 3. Thinking about trying to go back to bed pretty soon. Not much planned for today. No parties to attend or other late night carousing.

All stay safe.

Tom

RE: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #IX.. Stop In!!! - ezdays - 12-31-2022

Good morning, a late start, tried to go to Walmart yesterday, took about ten minutes just to get through the parking lot so I decided to be there around 6:00 when it opened this morning. I was amazed at how many vehicles in the parking lot already when I got there. Lots of fun getting around though, stockers still had pallets and boxes all over, dodging a couple of those Zambonies and others with brooms but was able to get out with no serious damage and best of all, with what I went there for in the first place. This has been a weird week, I kept thinking that yesterday was Saturday, now that it is Saturday, I'm not sure which day it really is. I'll find out tonight just as it gets dark when some neighbors will fire off some test shots of the fireworks, then go full tilt come Midnight.

I hope everyone has a fun and safe New Years Eve. I'll skip the party scene again and be in bed my usual time.

RE: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #IX.. Stop In!!! - FiatFan - 01-01-2023

Happy New Year, gang!

Cloudy and 25 headed for cloudy and maybe 40.

Very quiet day yesterday until about 5:30 when I heard the first fireworks. That continued off and on until around 10. I was asleep by about 11 so if anyone set off more at midnight I never heard them. This morning I need to make a trip to Menards. This afternoon the DNR is sponsoring what they call a first day walk at a local park. With the mild (for January in the upper midwest) temperature I'll be participating. Supposed to be about a 2 mile walk. Just something to do.

All stay safe.

Tom

RE: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #IX.. Stop In!!! - sir james - 01-01-2023

Happy New Year Blue.
Cloudy, 37/44 today.
S.J.

RE: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #IX.. Stop In!!! - ezdays - 01-01-2023

Good morning all and a very HAPPY NEW YEARS to you. I hope you had a pleasant NYE. Like Tom, the first fireworks went off early, about two minutes after it got dark, but stopped around 8:00. I was awake at Midnight and heard some in the distance and went back to sleep right away.

It's been raining a bit just as forecast, not sure how much more but it is still overcast and chilly out.

I watched the Fiesta Bowl from the Cardinal's stadium not far from my house. I stayed in and wasn't affected by the traffic. Good game, lots of points scored and a surprise win for TCU. Unlike the Cardinals that will be playing their third string QB. They may have a chance to win a game now that their $160,000,000 QB is out for the season.

Take care, have a fine, healthful and prosperous 2023.