The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #IX.. Stop In!!! - Printable Version

+- (https://bigbluetrains.com)
+-- Forum: The Depot (https://bigbluetrains.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Forum: Hobo's Camp (https://bigbluetrains.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=39)
+--- Thread: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #IX.. Stop In!!! (/showthread.php?tid=9237)

RE: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #IX.. Stop In!!! - tompm - 01-01-2023

Good afternoon, folks

Happy New Year.

It is now 52 going up to 55.

My daughter and I stayed up until midnight. The wife went to bed about 11. We shot off a couple of confetti cannons and made a little noise then went to bed. Got woken up about 1:30 by someone down the street setting off fireworks.

We slept in late. The wife and I headed out to PetSmart, CVS, and the grocery store to grab a few things. I just put the pork and sauerkraut in the oven. I am hoping to sneak downstairs and run some trains.

I changed out the McHenry couplers to Kadee #148 couplers on the Athearn Genesis Western Maryland F3A’s. I set up and test ran a 24-car coal drag. The locos handle it well. Going to try to video them.

I hope everybody has a good day.

RE: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #IX.. Stop In!!! - Canadian Atlantic Railway - 01-01-2023

Happy new year! We started off green but by mid-afternoon everything is white.

RE: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #IX.. Stop In!!! - BR60103 - 01-01-2023

We went for a short drive today -- it rained a bit too much to have a walk in the park. On the way back the Low Tire pressure warning came on briefly. I couldn't see any problem. Later I went out with the pressure gauge but left front tire was right down. CAA changed it and showed me a #8 or #10 screw in the tread. We'll have to deal with that tomorrow.

RE: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #IX.. Stop In!!! - TMo - 01-01-2023

Must be something going on with tires today - had all four on my wife's car replaced this morning. I've been meaning to get a new set and after seeing one had a bald section on the outside tread I figured I'd pull the trigger. Read a book in NTB while they did the work, but day still didn't get productive until 1 PM.

Got all the outside decorations down and put away by around 2:30 and then took empty storage boxes in to stow all of the inside stuff. Had a little time right before it got dark to tack up my door molding on the shed to complete that project. Got most of the inside Xmas decs wrapped up before dinner and then attacked a string that was out on the top of the prelit tree. Ended up replacing 41 bulbs - 1 short, 40 fried. Just got in from the garage after putting the tree in its box and securing with a couple of ratchet straps for another year.

Rose Bowl tomorrow - my Nittany Lions against Utah. Could be a good game. Until 5 PM then, I may get some more time to install detail trees on Mud Run. Last day of the holiday break before it's back to the salt mines on Tuesday.

My wife doesn't often do this, but she's got a 2023 "To do" list already. Some minor stuff, but also some tile replacement flooring in our kitchen and master bath in my future. I'd like to get away with laying it on top of the existing tile, but I don't think that's going to work with the transitions. Good bit of sledgehammer in my future I believe. Good exercise at least.

RE: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #IX.. Stop In!!! - ezdays - 01-02-2023

Good morning, a bit chilly and wet out. No complaints, we are desperately in need of rain. We've had about 1/2" so far this year an close to an inch this past few days. Got rain in the forecast everyday for the next two weeks. Pretty soon we'll have flood warning out...

Today is a holiday for most people, the Post Office and banks are closed (so is the body shop working on my truck), and garbage pickup is shifted by a day. It's hard to keep track of what day it is.

Just going to take it easy today, maybe watch the parade and some football. well I will until it turns into a circus or vaudeville routine. I could take the tree and other decorations down, but it's raining, so I'll put that off for a day or two.

Take care, be safe and relax while you can, tomorrow is the start of the workyear for most, but just another day for us retirees.

RE: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #IX.. Stop In!!! - FiatFan - 01-02-2023

Greetings, gang.

29 now headed for 35 later. Tonight I'll be getting some rain also but definitely no the good kind. The National Weather Service has scheduled rain, freezing rain, sleet, and snow for tonight and tomorrow. Not going to be a pleasant 24-36 hours. Otherwise not a lot going on here in the remote reaches of northern Iowa.

All stay safe.

Tom

RE: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #IX.. Stop In!!! - ezdays - 01-03-2023

Good morning, we're freezing here, temps in the mid to high 50's and 100% chance of rain this morning. No risk in that forecast since it's already raining. We're starting the year off nicely, but we're still really short on water storage.

Not much else going on, I'm slowly making progress on my wooden engine project, I finished step eight, only 39 more to go. It's not easy sometimes since nothing is glued and some parts tend to fall off some of the sub assemblies. I suspect that I'm not the only one with this issues and the instruction book does not give any tips how to avoid this. To be sure, even some of the drawings are confusing, does sub assembly A3 go into part B2 this way or that? And if you get it wrong, somewhere down the line, disassembly. Oh, there is one tip: "if break part, bring glue"

Heading to breakfast, then nothing scheduled for today. Maybe pick up my truck if the final part shows up.

Take care, stay safe and if you're going back to work today, smile, Pat took two weeks off and I guess you get out of the groove when you're gone that long....

RE: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #IX.. Stop In!!! - FiatFan - 01-03-2023

Greetings, gang.

33 and the rain just ended. Supposed to get to the upper 30s later. Off and on chances for rain and snow through tomorrow night. Still in an ice storm warning until noon today.

Another quiet day yesterday. This morning I'll head to the gym. First time in a while for that. Also need to do some house cleaning.

All stay safe.

Tom

RE: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #IX.. Stop In!!! - tompm - 01-03-2023

Good morning, folks

It is a mild 49 heading up to 58. We have some rain coming later today. Temperatures are supposed to be in the 60’s and 50’s all week.

I was checking and tuning up the coal hoppers I used in the last coal drag I ran. Checking is verifying coupler height, checking weight, and how well the car rolls. Tuning up is fixing any problems that arise from the checking. These cars are all Atlas and since they use Accumate couplers at the present I am not converting them to Kadee couplers since they have been performing well for me. I will eventually change them, but I have a big bunch of EZ-Mate and McHenry couplers to do first.

We did some minor cleaning around the house. I seasoned a new cast iron Dutch oven I got. We also made a run to the grocery store. We found a UPS store open, and my wife was able to drop off a package she needed to send.

Tonight, I need to run some boxes and other things up to the attic. I may try out a new mop we got for the floors in the kitchen, dining room, living room, and foyer.

I hope to continue checking and tuning up the previously mentioned hoppers. To break up things I have some Athearn RTR to change couplers on. Has anyone built one of the new Atlas Trainman kits. I pulled one out to look at later.

I hope everybody has a good day.

RE: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #IX.. Stop In!!! - FiatFan - 01-03-2023

My quiet day just got a little noisier! Thunder, lightning, and rain. Not normally something that occurs in January in Iowa.

Tom

RE: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #IX.. Stop In!!! - sir james - 01-03-2023

Hello Blue
Rain and 43 for today. Ten-day weather guess will keep major snow away at least that long.
No special plans for today. Yesterday we went to visit son #2 for a while. Then came home and I watched the Rose Bowl game.
Sunset is 5:10 so we are gaining a little more light each day.
S.J.

RE: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #IX.. Stop In!!! - BR60103 - 01-03-2023

Tire story: The dealer was closed on the 2nd (despite their website). They were open today and I rrived shortly after 9:00. They took me immediately and I was on my way before 10:00.
Most Christmas decorations taken down and stored. I have a space under the stairs and a scheme for fitting all the boxes into it.

RE: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #IX.. Stop In!!! - Charlie B - 01-03-2023

Greetings everyone
      It has been another foggy morning although it cleared a bit after noon. The temperature is 61 degrees right now but winter is to come back next Monday

I decided to finish another project yesterday. I had painted an Athearn BB SW7 to match the one I painted (full size) for the Little Beaver Creek Valley Railroad. I did the prototype in 1992 and the model that winter, I even used the same paint so I know it was a match. I never finished lettering it and now it would need a decoder to run on my layout.     
That was my 30 minute project yesterday.  When I had installed the decoder I decided to test it. It didn't work so back to the repair room and disassemble to see if I had a short or some other problem.........Nothing, so it must be a bad decoder so I replaced it.......still won't run so check and recheck and I can't find a thing so I try a new decoder and the same thing nothing happens.  I have been at this for 5 hours now so I need help, I think I got a bad batch of decoders, I have installed over 60 of these with no problem, so I call Woodone.  Jerry made several suggestions so I hang up and try them, in the meantime Jerry calls back with a few more questions and suggestions. After all the tests I am still at ZERO, So, just for kicks I place another locomotive on the track in front of me (there are locomotives idling that I can hear so I know there is power to the layout) I acquire the locomotive on the controller and Viola!!!!    nothing Icon_redface   No light no horn, no bell, no nuthin.   I wiggle the plug and nothing. The display lights but no functions so I go around the corner and plug into another outlet and everything works like a charm...So the work has been done because the outlet for the controller cable is bad.  I called Jerry to let his know it was my stupidity and of course we both got a chuckle (not). I then went in and in 5 minutes had the decoder installed and the SW7 frame and motor back together, did a test run, and set it aside and quit for the day. I will install the lights and windows tomorrow and get it on the track for a photo. Then all I need to do is letter it. Her is a picture from 2001 on my last layout (which is now my sons)    

I want to say i wish everyone a grand month and year ahead, and thank all of the members of this forum for all the fun and help and friendship 

Cheers
Charlie

RE: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #IX.. Stop In!!! - ezdays - 01-04-2023

Good morning all, not much going on, heard from my body shop, my part is coming in from....Japan. Icon_e_surprised Yeah, they make the truck in Kentucky, but spare parts are stored in Japan. Tracking says it will be here by Monday, so another week driving a rental. I'm sure that Geico is happy to hear that, costing them about $50 a day, plus of course, around $12,000 for repairs. Got to find out why I have to pay for 1/3 the cost of replacing the tire.

Got all the Christmas decorations put away, for some reason, this year there was very little enthusiasm for getting them up. Got to one point and stopped. Maybe because my wife used to spend days putting them up, maybe it's just because I'm getting old and tired. Waiting 

Nothing on the agenda for today so maybe I can work a bit on my wooden engine. I have a bunch of sub-assemblies just dangling and ready to fall off, I hope the next step shows how to secure them. Remember, no glue and the only metal part are the spring and bell, no fasteners or screws anywhere. I'm still confused about the direction of how something is suppose to go, the one sketch doesn't match the part and can go in backwards. And no, I cannot find anything on YouTube, I'd expect at least 7500 videos on how to put it together, but then they would be 15-20 hours long... at least.

Take care, have a good day, stay safe and stay dry. We've had almost an inch of rain this past week, some areas got more, so it's a good start for the year.

RE: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #IX.. Stop In!!! - FiatFan - 01-04-2023

Greetings, gang.

Snowy and 26 headed for snowy and 29. Also a little foggy out there. Not much snow expected though. Really nothing to report this morning.

Charlie - very nice work.

All stay safe.

Tom