The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #IX.. Stop In!!! - Printable Version

+- (https://bigbluetrains.com)
+-- Forum: The Depot (https://bigbluetrains.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Forum: Hobo's Camp (https://bigbluetrains.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=39)
+--- Thread: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #IX.. Stop In!!! (/showthread.php?tid=9237)

RE: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #IX.. Stop In!!! - sir james - 01-13-2023

Hello Blue
Friday the 13th. Hmm. Temp has been sitting at 29 all morning. Cloudy as usual.
By now you know I am a 3railer, the Lionel catalogue came out yesterday, All I could do was shake my head in disbelieve at the prices.
Of course H O prices have done the same.
Haven't been out since Tuesday but gas is still at the $3.19 level.
2 dozen eggs at Sam's were $5.99.
S.J.

RE: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #IX.. Stop In!!! - tompm - 01-13-2023

Good afternoon, folks

It is 43 currently heading up to 54.

Got home from the hospital about an hour ago. Everything went well with the back injection. I am still groggy from the anesthesia. I will probably will be taking a nap shortly.

I changed the couplers on several Bowser boxcars to Kadee #5. I finished organizing and putting in bins the open hoppers. I also checked and tuned up four 30 ft Athearn and Roundhouse flat cars with John Deere tractors and a Coil Car.

This weekend I am hoping to go to the Greenberg Train Show. I would like to work on learning more programing DCC things with some DCC locomotives. Next on the organization list is boxcars and there are a bunch.

Now it is time for a nap.

I hope everybody has a good day.

RE: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #IX.. Stop In!!! - FiatFan - 01-14-2023

Greetings, gang.

19 headed for around 40. Nicer tomorrow then rain on Monday.

Pretty quiet day yesterday until I got a surprise visit from my older daughter. Had a very nice visit with her and my younger daughter who happened to be on the phone at the time. Speaker phone is a very nice feature. Fun visit with my 2 favorite ladies. Nothing major planned for today.

Tom - hope you're feeling better after your procedure yesterday.

All stay safe.

Tom

RE: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #IX.. Stop In!!! - ezdays - 01-14-2023

Good morning everyone, rise and shine. Wait... it's Saturday, rise only if you want to, it took me an extra hour and a half and I feel good about it. Shine might take a little longer, at least a full cup of coffee.

Temps here heading down, 76 yesterday, 64 today and 54 by Monday. Rain is on it's way and a decent snow forecast for the high country. Gas hasn't changed at all, $3.35 is around average, Costco at $3.27. The Phoenix area is no longer at the top of the national inflation barrel, we are now second only to a spot in Florida.

The good news is that we are no longer in a drought panic in most of the state except for two areas. Severe drought still exists in, you guessed it, Lake Mead and Lake Powell, our major source of water here. How about our groundwater? Supposedly, before they can build a new subdivision, they have to guarantee a 100-year water source (groundwater), but suppose each development claims the same source? Go ahead and build, it's good for the tax base.

Have a great weekend everyone, stay warm, stay dry and most of all, stay safe. Icon_e_biggrin

RE: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #IX.. Stop In!!! - Charlie B - 01-14-2023

Good morning everyone.  
         It's winter in the northern hemisphere.  We had some snow but no accumulation to speak of. 

We were invited to a surprise 60th birthday party for our grand daughters FIL. They actually pulled it off. He was touched because he had never had a birthday party. He is a great guy, and his wife is a sweetheart too. We enjoyed ourselves and there was a good turnout.

I saw a mention that it was 71 years ago that the train got stuck at Donner Pass. It makes me wonder if the weather is really changing or are the disasters worse only because they are affecting more people. 

I sent a couple messages to some members that have been absent trying to prod them to post once again. I know we get in funks and change for a bit but we are all friends here and benefit from everyone's contributions.  

I finally got my printer to print the decals I wanted and I was pleased, however, the yellow lettering I made did not show as well on the locomotive I am working on so I will try printing on white decal paper. With the white paper you need to add the color for the surrounding area and in this case it is a red stripe. I hope I got the red right. We shall see tomorrow. 

I have no plans for today soI will probably work on trains 

Charlie

RE: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #IX.. Stop In!!! - TMo - 01-14-2023

Two hard days and no railroading to speak of. Trying to change that this evening.

The past two hikes with the dog at Rocks State Park have focused my attention on moss. It's really amazing how this stuff grows, how deep it can get and how many different greens can be represented in a small area. It also has discernible depth - and that's my focus in the short term. I have an area near the north entrance to the Rockport tunnel where the rock walls near by would all be facing north, and I've been painting moss there, but am looking to build that believable depth. I have some ideas but need to play around with it a bit.

The hard part of the last two days has been gutting our master bedroom walk-in closet. My wife wanted me to paint and to replace the 23-year-old carpet. I was not a big fan of the idea, but I decided to make her happy. The big hurdle were the floor-to-ceiling built-ins that I constructed many years ago. Had to take them apart and remove them to the basement until the reno was done. Painted the ceiling, walls, trim. Pulled up the carpet and padding. Then today I put down new padding and carpet and put the built-ins back in. Replaced the light fixture. Aside from helping put clothes back in, I think I'm done for the long weekend, as I have Monday off as well.

Love the shots I've seen in both "Side Shot Saturday" and "Weekly Photo Fun". Really good stuff! I'll add some to the mix soon.

RE: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #IX.. Stop In!!! - ezdays - 01-15-2023

Good morning all, kind of wet out there right now. Not a lot, but it is raining and chilly. We dropped about ten degrees yesterday, and looking at another ten by tomorrow with highs in the 50's. It's gotta be snowing up north when it's that cold down here.

Nothing else significant going on, just going to take it easy today, still a bit unstable since my back procedure. My back feels better, just my legs forgot how to hold me up.

I see where they're starting to fine football players for excessive celebrations. They should ban them completely, it's no longer a game, but a variety show. I see more dancing on the field than at some of those old vaudeville shows. Speaking of football, ya all know that the Super Bowl is being played here this year. Another case where the game falls on the same week of the Phoenix Open golf tournament. That means hundreds of private jets jamming every local airport, thousands of limos driving those poor folk right to their seats, and a half-time performance to rival a Broadway show. No going out to eat that week. Golf is played up in north Scottsdale a few miles from where we used to live, football is in Glendale, a few miles from where I live now.

Take care everyone and enjoy the day.... Icon_e_smile

RE: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #IX.. Stop In!!! - Charlie B - 01-15-2023

Good morning all
       Today is my wife's monthly dinner with her brother and his wife and my daughter and her daughter. Everyone brings a dish but Mary does the main course, today is meatloaf.

The yellow decals for the LBCV locomotive turned out OK. I am very pleased with the white paper. I did not get a perfect match for the red but it shows vey well.     
Of course there is a hand rail on the rear that needs adjusted that I didn't see before taking the picture. 

We have a trip coming up Wednesday. My wife adopted another dog so we need to go to Columbus Oh to pick him up. It is 3.5 hours each way so it will be a long day. Our appointment is at 3 PM so we will be driving home at night. This guy looks a lot like the Eskie we lost 2years ago, the big difference is he has both eyes.     

I was shocked that she wanted another but our Eskie was her heart dog and she loves the breed. This just wasn't planned at all.  Icon_e_biggrin. She does all the work with them so I don't have any complaints, it's her hobby and I have mine.  

Best wishes for peace and health to all of the world. We need a good year
Charlie

RE: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #IX.. Stop In!!! - sir james - 01-15-2023

Hello Blue
We have some sun @ 36 degrees. NO SNOW.
Club meet went well, this member has done some nice work upgrading his city buildings, with so many nice O scale ones available now, I wish I had room for some of them. Gotta go out soon to meet the grandson's future in-laws.
S.J.

RE: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #IX.. Stop In!!! - ezdays - 01-16-2023

Good morning good people, forecast for today, 90% chance of rain, but wait, it is raining right now, so why not say 100%? It just made it to 60 yesterday, and lots of snow up north. Looks like the same for today.

Today we meet at a different restaurant for breakfast. Brenda's is closed now on Sunday and Monday until they can find a second cook. The cook that was there for 20 years, left to go live in Wisconsin with her son and they've been struggling to find a replacement. A sign on the door, "Help wanted, cook, waitress, dishwasher". Yet we have folks lined up for unemployment and we're paying them more than if they had to go to work. 35

Today is a holiday, not sure if my truck will be ready today if they're open. It has been ready to go for two weeks now, except that it lacks one piece of door trim and they cannot find a replacement anywhere in the world. The part that came from Japan was for the wrong door. There has to be a timeline for either getting me my truck back or replacing it. Right now, Geico is paying around $50 a day for my rental, the body shop doesn't get paid until they deliver the truck, and I'm without my truck and driving a vehicle I don't like. Hard to believe, but then there's that supply chain problem.... Waiting 

I hope everyone enjoys the day.

RE: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #IX.. Stop In!!! - FiatFan - 01-16-2023

Greetings, gang.

The rain ha let up for the moment but more is on the way. The high for today is supposed to be in the mid 40s. Turning cooler with snow maybe Wed. night and Thursday.

Busy day today. I need to finish cleaning the house for visitors. My daughter and son-in-law are on the way from South Dakota. They should be arriving about the time I return from my doctor appointment. Just a routine follow-up after my cancer surgery last summer. Participation this week could be spotty at best. We're leaving here tomorrow morning for Missouri for my grandson's graduation from army training. We'll be back late Saturday afternoon.

All stay safe.

Tom

RE: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #IX.. Stop In!!! - tompm - 01-16-2023

Good morning, folks

It is 25 currently and with the wind blowing off the river this morning at the job site it feels quite a bit colder. They say our high will be 45.

Thus far everything has gone well after the back injection on Friday. I slept off the anesthesia for a good part of Friday. Over the weekend my biggest problem was trying to not “overdo it “as there was very little pain. I have some pain occasionally and the doctor did tell me there could be some over the next week or so. However, the pain is in the 1, 2 range not the 8, 9, 10 I was getting before the shot.

I went to the Greenberg Train Show on Saturday. My first go around was a disappointment as I found nothing that I had gone to the show in hopes of finding, The few things I found that did interest me were selling for MSRP. At first, I thought I made a mistake going as there were no bargains within the HO venders. However, on my second pass through I found some dealers with decent prices with some stuff that piqued my interest. I did find a couple of the Broadway Limited 6000 Gallon Tank Cars. Since they are coming out with a new run I wanted to get a couple of the current run to see how they looked and ran. I found a Rapido New Haven PA1 that I have been looking at for quite a while. The vendor’s price beat anything I had seen elsewhere. The surprise find was a Broadway Limited Jersey Central Mikado. Since CNJ steam is rare for me to find and I had not seen any BLI steam I grabbed it. I tested it last night and it runs well. It needs some cleaning and once in a while it stalls on switches at low speeds. I plan to run the PA tonight.

Around the house we put away Christmas decorations. We still have the tree and the outside stuff. We tried out the robot vacuum my daughter got us for Christmas and were pleased with the results. Also did a few other small chores.

Today is the first day back to work after the injection so we will see how I feel later and as to what I can do around the house this afternoon and evening. I hope to run some trains and work on checking, tuning up, and organizing the box cars.

I hope everybody has a good day.

RE: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #IX.. Stop In!!! - Charlie B - 01-16-2023

Good morning. 
       It's 30 degrees here on the homestead with a high of 45 predicted. Rain is to move in tonight and stay around untill noon tomorrow. Wednesday looks good for our trip.  hope that forecast holds true. 

I am glad the back pain is easing for Don and Tom. I hope that it gets 100% better for both of you. 

I may work on the motor home today, it is blowing the breaker on the fan/AC clutch, I think it may be the fan motor drawing too much which could be a big job changing. I will see what the Youtube folks have to say. 

A friend from San Francisco tells me the snow pack in the mountains is 200% of normal and they are now worrying about it all going off in a warmer than usual spring that could cause severe problems. If it goes off normally it would be a big help filling the reservoir's and water tables. I am still of the opinion that they need folks to manage the water usage from Lake Mead and Lake Powell better.  Generation should stop completely until the water is allowed to come back. We still have some power plants that could pick up the slack. We need the food that the irrigation provides more than we need the strip lit up in Vegas. The agreements about usage need to be altered to match the times. 

Have a grand week everyone.
Charlie

RE: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #IX.. Stop In!!! - ezdays - 01-17-2023

Good morning all, still wet and chilly. We've had about 3/4" of rain so far this week, not bad. Temps have been in the low 60's even though they've forecast mid 50's, but at least they're right on the rain.

Charlie, one problem is they're shutting down coal burning generating stations putting a burden on the dams, shutting down pipelines plus we're pushing towards  electric vehicles and now they want to do away with gas stoves. The only source of energy will be electricity from water for a while, then nothing. No power, no potable water because the Colorado River has dried up. Won't even be able to charge up that new Tesla, and they still won't admit they screwed up. They've saved the planet because there'll be no one left.

Speaking of vehicles, I'm suppose to be able to pick up 99.5% of my truck today. Still can't find the piece of door trim, it may be months before Honda makes any more, but they can't keep my truck that long without a fight, so they say they have a "temporary" fix so the door won't leak, which is a good idea right now.

I hope everyone has a good day, just be careful out there, Mother Nature is on a rampage right now.

RE: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #IX.. Stop In!!! - sir james - 01-17-2023

Hello Blue
Rain last night. Woke up to fog/sun and 42 degrees. Looks like we have a week in the 40s before the real January returns. 
Did some grocery shopping yesterday, wow the egg farmers sure have joined the screw the customer band wagon. Yes their cost is up but I think they have bumped it up past cost a tad. Only thing on the train front that is news. The Choo-Choo Barn in Strasburg Pa. is up for sale. It has been there for so long that it, the RR and the Caboose Motel were all surrounded by farmland.
S.J.