The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #IX.. Stop In!!! - Printable Version

+- (https://bigbluetrains.com)
+-- Forum: The Depot (https://bigbluetrains.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Forum: Hobo's Camp (https://bigbluetrains.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=39)
+--- Thread: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #IX.. Stop In!!! (/showthread.php?tid=9237)

RE: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #IX.. Stop In!!! - FiatFan - 03-07-2023

Greetings, gang.

Cloudy and 30 at the moment going to maybe 40 later on. Then rain/snow overnight.

Pretty quiet day yesterday. Lazy day at the gym. Just walked for 2 miles and came home again. Swimming today. Postal carrier delivered two days worth of newspapers yesterday. It seems unusual that I used to see the postal carrier every day from where I sit. Once they had to start delivering the paper it seems they couldn't manage to make daily deliveries. Maybe it's just a coincidence.

All stay safe.

Tom

RE: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #IX.. Stop In!!! - tompm - 03-07-2023

Good morning folks

It is currently 36. Temperature was a few degrees cooler when I went up to the project site over an hour ago. It was a cold that went through and seemed to get into your bones. I have another trip up there in about a half hour. Hopefully the temperature will be a lot closer to the predicated high of 45.

Last night was relatively quiet. My wife got a message from someone through a DNA ancestorial site she did a few years ago. The person says they were identified as a second cousin. He provided a few names. She was able to match one name and the relationship seems to be through her great grandfather. Unfortunately she does not have much information on him. Her great grandmother on the other hand she has information going all the way back to the early 1700’s. There is actually a book that traces her ancestors from a person born around 1700. M y wife’s grandmother is in the last generation detailed in the book. I believe she is 8th generation making my wife the 10th generation. We will be doing some further research when we can as we do have a few leads.

On the IHC PRR Pacific I installed the DCC in I realized the headlight was not working and it was going the wrong way. I changed the orientation of the plug and now the headlight works and it moves in the correct direction. Thanks to Todd for the heads up. I do need to get LED’s for the headlight and the tender light. That is a whole other learning curve for another day. I also programmed the loco number as the address for it.

My wife is supposed to have her MRI this evening. It has been postponed at the last minute due to issues with the machine. Hoping tonight will work out. Depending on how that goes will determine what I get done around the house or with the trains tonight.

Time to layer up and brave the cold at the dam site.

I hope everybody has a good day.

RE: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #IX.. Stop In!!! - sir james - 03-07-2023

Hello Blue
Sun, 34/41 for the day.
Well, had to venture out yesterday. My wife had a tooth pulled. No dental insurance so it was pricey.
Gas at the corner was $3.49. Yep it's going up already.
No train news.
S.J.

RE: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #IX.. Stop In!!! - BR60103 - 03-07-2023

We had the electrical boffins in today. Well, we're replacing the gas cooktop with an electrical one and it needs a 240V connection. Took 2 more circuit breakers and 75' of cable. This will be ready when the appliance provider can install the new one.
The driveway was finally scraped clear several hours after the techs left -- they couldn't even back their truck over the packed snow.
Our neighbour claims that the Village used to have steel plows/draggers that scraped the snow right down to the driveway. Then some complained that their driveways were being scratched. So the plows were replaced with plastic or rubber (or something) which don't scrape all the way down.

RE: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #IX.. Stop In!!! - ezdays - 03-08-2023

Good morning everyone, looking like Arizona weather for the next few weeks, mid-70's to low 80's for a while. Flagstaff is warming up with highs in the low 50's.

Get my house cleaned today, still not feeling up to par and finally got an appointment with my doctors office for this morning, I'm sure it's one of the PA's, but at least I see someone... Did spend some time in the workshop yesterday, maybe some more later today. Got my Mossberg gun back from warranty repairs yesterday. The first time I sent it back, the driver gave me the package, I thought I had to sign for it (needs 18 or older signature), and he says, "I see you", I guess that was enough, (the beard gave it away that I was over 18). This time I had to show ID to prove I was at least 18 and then sign, different strokes for different folks, or drivers... Next time I may have to submit to a pat-down and finger prints....  Icon_rolleyes

Not much else going  on, traffic is still really bad as is gas prices, we're close to $4.00 a gallon, $4.29 is normal for brand name. I need to fill up this morning, not worth driving to Costco to save 3 cents.... Nope

Not much else going on here, I hope you all have a great day...

RE: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #IX.. Stop In!!! - FiatFan - 03-08-2023

Greetings, gang.

Cloudy and 33 with a rather feeble attempt at snow this morning. Tomorrow looks to be a little nastier with 3-5 inches of snow predicted.

Went to se the movie "Cocaine Bear" yesterday. Moderately funny with almost cartoon-like violence and gore. Not much planned for today other than a trip to the gym. I was planning to go to Sioux City for a train show on Saturday but there is now 70% chance of snow with some windy conditions. Depending on how bad it looks on Saturday I may wait until Sunday to go.

All stay safe.

Tom

RE: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #IX.. Stop In!!! - tompm - 03-08-2023

Good morning folks

It is currently 34 with the wind howling. The wind this morning at the job site blowing off the river made it brutal to be out there. The high is supposed to be 46. Hopefully the wind will die now later.

My wife did not go to the MRI last evening. She has been feeling under the weather the last few days and she just felt that she couldn’t deal with it. She will reschedule later this week. I started to make sure I have everything together to do our taxes. I will probably work on them this coming weekend.

I added screws to the coupler pockets on four Roundhouse RTR three dome tank cars. I finished tuning up and checking 12 boxcars. The Atlas Trainman kit boxcar was an ounce light to meet NMRA weight recommendations. I had to carefully remove a door so I could add weight. I will need to remember to add weight when I am building them going forward. I recently received a couple of BAR State of Maine 40-foot boxcars by Intermountain. One of them is number 02 in the series and the other is number 16 in the series. They are both old new stock. Number 16 has Kadee couplers. Number 2 is old enough it has EZ-Mate knock offs so I will need to change them.

I looked over the area where I plan to work next on the layout. I need to do some cleaning and rearranging before I start.

Nothing big planned for today and tonight. I have to make a pharmacy run at some point.

Trainwise I have some coupler conversion and a some boxcar kits to build. I need to address a few things on the layout before the next project can begin.

RE: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #IX.. Stop In!!! - BR60103 - 03-08-2023

We went in to renew our passports today. We had picked up the forms and been photographed yesterday. We went to the Service Canada office just after 9:30. We were out sometime around 11:30.

The process has been streamlined. No longer do we need a "Guarantor" to sign the photographs. The receptionist checked our forms and old us what we had missed and that we needed to initial the crossings out. Then a long sit in the waiting room (I had the puzzles from two papers). The process of entering our info was smooth but a lot of typing for the civil servant. She upsold us to 10 years from the 5 we started with.
I did have to call two friends about 9:00 to ask if they would be references.

RE: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #IX.. Stop In!!! - ezdays - 03-09-2023

An another good morning to you all. Slept late, not going out for breakfast so I took advantage, got over nine hours sleep, which I guess is OK for us old folk... Temps back into the normal range, we could hit 80 tomorrow, the TV weather lady has an 85 in her forecast for next week. Nice after those chilly and damp days the past few weeks. They are releasing water at some of the dams closer in, and expect a good increase in Lake Powell and Mead during the spring runoff. Still, right now they're cutting some water to farmers, which I'm sure you'll feel the affects of that in grocery prices this summer.

Not much else going on here, got two days of nothing scheduled, I could finish building that display case, given enough energy. It's not that complicated, just looking for the time. I may have to spend some of it back on the phone to the IRS. Still don't have that refund from my 2020 taxes that they say is due me. I should have had it back in July, but nada, and I spent about an hour with them last month and I would hear back or have a check by.....3-8-23 (yesterday).... They have no problem giving away billions of our tax money away on a moment's thought to countries and corporations, but make a taxpayer wait a few years for a few hundred is OK.

Have a great day, stay safe, be happy, do something that makes you feel good...

RE: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #IX.. Stop In!!! - FiatFan - 03-09-2023

Greetings, gang.

Cloudy and 33 headed for...33. Yep, not gonna change much. The downside is that 3-5 inches of snow is predicted for today which means it will be a wet, heavy snow making it more difficult for the snow blower.

Yesterday was pretty quiet. A trip to the gym may or may not occur today depending on the weather. Big project for this evening is to convert some 8mm films to digital format. Not difficult, just time consuming.

All stay safe.

Tom

RE: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #IX.. Stop In!!! - sir james - 03-09-2023

Hello Blue
Sun today, 40 will be the Hi. Snow tomorrow, looks like all day.
I was hopeing all that snow out west would help the water shed some. 
Prices yesterday. Gas $3.49, a doz. eggs at Aldi $2.29, that's half of what they were last time we were there.
Of course, like everywhere else prices are up on everything.
S.J.

RE: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #IX.. Stop In!!! - ezdays - 03-10-2023

Good morning all, another nice day, mid-70's, today could hit 81 says the TV weather lady,. Went to channel 15's web site, the forecast shows 75 for today, but right below that is a video showing her pointing to 81 at 4:00 this afternoon. Talk about mixed up forecasting. Big deal right now, it's warm enough that the wildflowers are in bloom. This is a shot taken just about 10 miles due south of where I live.

[Image: 457e5%20copy.jpg]

Gas has gone beyond $4.00 here, even Costco is at $3.999999999. That .009 meant something when gas was 20 cents a gallon, but now it's just used to trick the eye. Eggs at Walmart are $2.79 for large, twice what they were before this craziness started, but half what they were a few weeks ago. I'm surprised that restaurants weren't putting on a surcharge when you ordered eggs, maybe the just raised prices, but won't go down now that eggs are cheaper. Typical, they do that with coffee all the time.

No, I didn't get out to the workshop yesterday, had a few issues to clear up with Blue Cross blue Shield about a doctor I've been seeing but is no longer on their provider list. I finally got the OK to see him yesterday. Got a few new appointments now.

You guys still battling snow, good luck and stay warm and safe....

RE: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #IX.. Stop In!!! - FiatFan - 03-10-2023

Greetings, gang.

Cloudy and 28 this morning. Yesterday's "snowstorm" predicting up to 8 inches wound up being about 2 inches of wet heavy snow. It did stay warm enough yesterday to melt most of the snow as it came down. Another 2-4 inches predicted for tomorrow.

Last night I transferred some old 8mm films to digital format but I'm having a difficult time removing the sound of the (very noisy) projector. Last time I did it with no problem. This time the video is coming out very pixelated. I'll continue try various codecs today.

No paper again yesterday. Not much else going on.

All stay safe.

Tom

RE: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #IX.. Stop In!!! - Charlie B - 03-10-2023

Good Morning.
     A cold day predicted here Partly cloudy skies early then becoming cloudy with a mix of rain and snow late. Low near 35F. Winds E at 5 to 10 mph. Chance of precip 90%.
      I should be able to finish the shelf for the layout extension today, all inside work.  
      I have a birthday party on Sunday for 2 of my great grand daughters. I will try to attend this time. I have been avoiding the kids because of all the virus' they are dragging around but I feel pretty strong so I should be safe.
       We are still the talk of the world. The media has found a good story and they intend to keep feeding on it. Anything railroad related that make the news gives them opportunity to bring the East Palestine situation up again. You would think it was as bad or worse than Lac-Mégantic, Quebec. https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-42548824  This one has caused East Palestine to commit suicide. 
       I find it interesting too that farmers are concerned about soil contamination while at the same time they are pouring tones of  glyphosate on crops that they feed their cattle and hogs. 
       Nothing else to talk about or complain about this morning so I wish everyone a warm safe weekend.
Charlie

RE: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #IX.. Stop In!!! - tompm - 03-10-2023

Good morning folks

It is currently 40 with a supposed high of 47. We may have a dusting of some snow overnight.

The pollen count is stating to climb and with that my wife’s asthma. She has had a couple of minor attacks and she is trying to stay ahead of things this year. Myself, I am waking up with a stuffed nose and a very dry mouth. I am desperately waiting for a new mask for my cpap.

I had to do some of heavy laundry, aka, the bed blankets, and comforters the last couple of nights. It takes time since due to my wife’s asthma and allergies I must use the steam cycle on the washer.

I started working on an Accurail 36 FT Fowler Wood Boxcar kit. For some reason and despite the fact I have done a ton of them in the past the undercarriage was giving me fits. The parts just would not go together correctly. I had to walk away from the kit several times.

The weekend is supposed to start out wet so we will be starting the spring cleaning with our bedroom. By we I mean me since my wife cannot deal with the dust with her asthma and allergies. This is the time where everything under the bed and other furniture gets pulled out and the wood floors get a heavy duty cleaning. At some point we need to run to the pharmacy and grocery store.

I would like to finish the Accurail Fowler wood boxcar and perhaps start car number two of the three car set. Since the decoders arrived I my try to install another one or two. Another item is to begin making the streets around Union Station and planning for the grade separation of the tracks and road crossing.