The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #IX.. Stop In!!! - Printable Version

+- (https://bigbluetrains.com)
+-- Forum: The Depot (https://bigbluetrains.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Forum: Hobo's Camp (https://bigbluetrains.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=39)
+--- Thread: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #IX.. Stop In!!! (/showthread.php?tid=9237)

RE: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #IX.. Stop In!!! - tompm - 04-19-2023

Good afternoon folks

It is 55 and they keep promising it will reach 63.

I helped the wife with some planting. I filled one of her oversized pots with dirt and weeded one of the flower beds. She still has about a third of a flat of pansies to plant once she figures out where she is going to plant them. They most likely go in the flower bed I weeded of pots. We can’t plant them in the ground in the backyard gardens due to the idiot dog who likes to pull them out.

I worked on the walls for the Morgan House. I added window frames to two walls and window glaze to one of them also. I added the mortar lines to a third wall. I am in the process of doing the initial painting of the last wall. I hope to finish the painting this evening. I also hope to add the glazing to the second wall and the window frames to the third wall.

I need to stop at the produce store and the bakery on the way home. Friday is my son’s birthday so I need to order his birthday cake.

As for the video chat I am all in.

I hope everybody has a good day.

RE: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #IX.. Stop In!!! - FiatFan - 04-20-2023

Greetings, gang.

Rain, thunder, and lightning are the weather words for this morning. Currently 46 headed for maybe the mid 50s with some sunshine late this afternoon. Had a pretty terrific lightning show last night but not much rain or thunder. Could get maybe a half inch this morning.

Yesterday was pretty quiet. This morning if the lightning lets up I'll go for a nice long walk in the rain rather than hit the gym. Maybe or maybe not a baseball game this evening depending on the weather.

I'm in for the video chat.

All stay safe.

Tom

RE: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #IX.. Stop In!!! - ezdays - 04-20-2023

Good morning all, no change in the weather, but gas, yeah. Costco and Sam's Club dropped ten cents to $4.39 while many others when up five cents to $4.74. There are enough at $4.99 and up to say that we have broken the $5.00 a gallon mark once again. To me, this should be newspaper headlines, but of course, I no longer get the paper so I can't be sure. It didn't show up Saturday or Sunday and I told them when it does show up, it can be afternoon before I get it, so after almost 70 years of getting the Arizona Republic, I quit. Not only that, but my bill is always around $15 more than the advertised price.

As for a video get together, yeah, it's about time. The problem I have is that the last one we scheduled, only two of us showed up, me and Lutz, and that wasn't fair to him since it was the middle of the night where he lives. If we can do better, I'm all for it. I've never used Google Meet, so if someone has, maybe they can coordinate it. I'll open a thread where we can discuss the when, where and who.

Got a busy day today, so off I go. Take care everyone and enjoy your day.

RE: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #IX.. Stop In!!! - Charlie B - 04-20-2023

We have another beautiful day in southeast Ohio, heading for a new record High in the 80's but cooling comes for the weekend.

I am guilty of missing the last chat and it was totally inexcusable. I did not set an alarm and relied on my memory which let me down. When we decide I can and will set an alarm on Thunderbird which nags enough I can't forget. 

My back is still hurting but getting better everyday. I am doing exercises that relieve it and I mowed the grass yesterday and the vibration from the mower seems to help too. 

I still can't stand for long periods so not much is getting done in the train shed. I did get the notice that the decoders I am waiting for will be ariving today instead of Saturday so the two day priorty is only one day late. 

Nothing else to report this morning. Stay alert and safe
Charlie

RE: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #IX.. Stop In!!! - jim currie - 04-20-2023

(04-20-2023, 06:49 AM)Charlie B Wrote: My back is still hurting but getting better everyday. I am doing exercises that relieve it and I mowed the grass yesterday and the vibration from the mower seems to help too. 

I still can't stand for long periods so not much is getting done in the train shed. I did get the notice that the decoders I am waiting for will be ariving today instead of Saturday so the two day priorty is only one day late. 

get a copy of the book "core exercise's" there are several different ones i would recommend the senior one  best thing i ever did
Jim

RE: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #IX.. Stop In!!! - FiatFan - 04-21-2023

Greetings, gang.

Clear and rather chilly this morning at 36 degrees. Only supposed to go up another 10 degrees. Definitely cooler than normal. Wound up with an inch of much needed rain yesterday.

I did manage to get in a nice long walk in the aforementioned rain and baseball for last night was canceled. This morning I'll head to the gym and also try to meet with some friends for dinner this evening.

Gas was down to $3.53 when I was out yesterday.

All stay safe.

Tom

RE: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #IX.. Stop In!!! - ezdays - 04-21-2023

Good morning people of Big Blue, Gas Buddy was wrong about the gas prices here, went to breakfast yesterday and I saw nothing below $4.99. There is one station up on I-17 that's $5.49. Gas is more expensive in Phoenix now than Los Angeles. A person with extreme knowledge on the situation blames it on the increase in population, and additional 10,000 residents in the past few months he says.... Whaaaat, the population of Maricopa County is over 7,500,000, making 10K more of a drop in the bucket. Besides, we have just lost about a million snowbirds heading back home, so someone is not being truthful.

Jim, sounds like a book I need to get.

We are upon yet another weekend, had two appointments yesterday, but one changed to a televisit, which worked out fine. That one was my vascular surgeon telling me my aortic stent looks fine and I may not need further surgery. That's a good thing. I talk to another doctor next week and he's the one to decide.

I hope everyone avoids those storms that I'm reading about, and I hope you all have a great weekend.

RE: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #IX.. Stop In!!! - tompm - 04-21-2023

Good morning folks

It is a bright and sunny 63 heading up to 79.

We just finished a small pour this morning of 30 yards and that is why I am late checking in. This pour was much easier than yesterday’s pour. We poured 122 yards. We were scheduled to start at 7 AM but the first of thirteen trucks did not show until almost 8:30. Then every half hour a truck arrived. At 10:30 trucks 5 and 6 arrived minutes apart and truck 7 about 10 minutes later. At 11:00 trucks 8, 9, and 10 arrived together. We had to wait until 12:30 for number 11 and 1:00 for number 12. Truck 13 carrying only 2 yards did not show up until 2:15. My day started at 5:30 and I did not leave the site until almost 4.

Needless to say, when I got home, I ate dinner and passed out on the couch until 9:30. I got up helped the wife clean the Guinea pig cage. I took the trash out and brought the cans to the curb. I did a few things on the computer and then hit the sack.

Today is my son’s birthday. We are going to do cake and presents after everyone gets home. He is then going out with his friends. This is the first time in three years he can go out an celebrate on his birthday. He turned 21 on Easter and then we had COVID for the next two years.

Saturday the wife and I are going to try to get the herb garden set up. I need to get to the backlog of laundry which will probably stretch into Sunday. The dog needs washing. I need to begin the fishpond seasonal changeover. Take the heater out, clean as much muck and debris I can from the bottom and pull the water lilies up out the deep end of the pond.

On the workbench I have the Morgan House walls to finish painting and “mortaring”. Then it is installing window frames and glazing. On the layout I have the area around the Union Station to work on. I would also like to do another couple of DCC conversions. Most importantly I want to run some trains.

I hope everybody has a good day.

RE: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #IX.. Stop In!!! - sir james - 04-21-2023

Hello Blue
We have cloudy skies @ 55 degrees.
Many of our club friends are at York. As an old man I don't go anymore, it's a very tiring trip for me. Travel time alone is an early start and evening arrival.
I haven't seen our lawn guy yet this spring so I charged the battery on my old riding mower and I'm happy to say it started. Cut the grass but no trimming. Gas prices are still in the 3.60 range here and eggs were 2.29 at Walmart.
S.J.

RE: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #IX.. Stop In!!! - Charlie B - 04-21-2023

Good morning.
       I got some decoders (NCE D13J) that fit the Athearn locomotives with what they call a quick plug and I had the locomotive disassembled waiting so it was a five minute completion. It was plug and play, wrapped it with electrical tape to prevent shorts, slip the body back on and replace the couples. I put it on the program track, changed the address to the locomotive number, set the start voltage (I start at 55), Acceleration to 0, deceleration to 0 and top voltage to 175 and it is done and runs smooth as silk. 

I have been reaching out to members that have recently disappeared and not having any luck to speak of. I don't know why we are losing so many. I hope my deodorant hasn't quit working.

We are coming to the time of year when participation drops for the summer in the northern hemisphere but I miss all of the different posts. I also realise we are for the most part seniors and can leave without having the option to say goodbye.  I do see at times we have lots of people viewing the forum, but no one is posting like they did 10 years ago.  I try to encourage the new members to post when they do too.  We had several gals doing some great modeling and I really do encourage them to post because they have some very good ideas and are very talented, and tend to notice things that we old men don't. 

I got a nice hand written note from one of our Ohio US senators thanking me for my input about the derailment. He had called me several weeks ago and we talked for about a half hour. 

We have a sunny day here, but a cooling off with thunder is predicted for tonight and the week end. 

I managed to get some more trains out of the boxes and into the yards.  

Have a great week end everyone and stay safe and healthy.

Charlie

RE: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #IX.. Stop In!!! - BR60103 - 04-21-2023

We are considering selling the motorhome. Today we went to the outfit that has done the servicing for the last bunch of years. There was a sign on the door that they are closing permanently on April 10. That explains why my phone call was not returned.
I have had contradictory advice on whether we need to get an inspection done before we sell it. I now have leads on two garages that may handle it.

We have been cleaning it out of material that any purchaser may not want and that we could possibly use. RV specific stuff is staying in it.

RE: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #IX.. Stop In!!! - FiatFan - 04-22-2023

Greetings, gang.

Cloudy and downright cold this morning in the remote reaches of northern Iowa. 31 right now headed for maybe the low 40s later on. Not much improvement tomorrow.

Relatively quiet day yesterday. Skipped the gym and walked to the grocery store instead. Baseball for the great-grandkids has been canceled. It's hard to play baseball in a parka and mittens. Got in touch with friends but he was a little under the weather. Maybe tonight. Laundry will be the high point of my day.

Tom - belated happy birthday to your son.

All stay safe.

Tom

RE: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #IX.. Stop In!!! - sir james - 04-22-2023

Hello Blue
Cloudy, 55 for the hi today. Looks like rain acomin.
Watching Looney Tones. No special plans for the day.
S.J.

RE: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #IX.. Stop In!!! - ezdays - 04-22-2023

Good morning good people, ahh, Saturday and an extra hour of sleep. Worth the wait... Nothing much changed here, gas is expected to go well beyond $5.00 since it jumped 50 cents just this week. Temps are going to stay in the 90's for a while.

I missed the meteor showers. We were suppose to go where there were no city lights, lay on the ground with your feet towards the east and look up. Sorry folks, if I went out to the desert and laid on the ground, they'd need to call in a crane to get me up. Maybe I should consider bringing one of those chairs where you push a button and you go from laying down, to standing up. Just that I'd need a crane to get the darn thing out there.... Waiting

As most cities, we have a huge homeless problem. There's an area downtown Phoenix they call "the zone", a couple of square blocks of nothing but a homeless encampment. Right before the Super Bowl, they went in and cleaned it up, can't have a dirty-looking homeless area with all those visitors. Well, the business folks in the area aren't happy that their entrances and streets are still being used for toilets plus all the drug use and that they don't get any walk-in customers anymore. Just no parking spaces between tents and sleeping bags. Finally, enough pressure and they're going to clean out the encampment offering each person there an alternative. We'll see, so many are happy being there and don't trust shelters, so who knows what'll happen.

Have a great weekend, I can't believe there are folks who are freezing and we're pushing 100 already.

RE: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #IX.. Stop In!!! - FiatFan - 04-23-2023

Greetings, gang.

I'm one of Don's freezing people. It's currently 27 degrees outside my window this morning and the high is only supposed to be in the mid 40s. This time of year it should be in the mid 60s.

Routine Saturday. Laundry but no baseball games for the great-grandkids due to cold weather. I forgot to watch the Nebraska spring game yesterday afternoon but fortunately it was replayed last night at 10. I'll be watching it sometime today. Nothing else really planned for today.

All stay safe.

Tom