The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #IX.. Stop In!!! - Printable Version

+- (https://bigbluetrains.com)
+-- Forum: The Depot (https://bigbluetrains.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Forum: Hobo's Camp (https://bigbluetrains.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=39)
+--- Thread: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #IX.. Stop In!!! (/showthread.php?tid=9237)

RE: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #IX.. Stop In!!! - ezdays - 04-23-2023

Good morning everyone, yeah Tom, I see freeze warnings for much of the Midwest at least for the next few days. I hate to say though, that I've been tempted to turn on the A/C in the house, we hit 94 yesterday. I already have it on in the truck.  It has been a very mild winter this year for us, this is the reason we live here and take the 115 degree summers. Without A/C, the Phoenix area would still be 95% desert. Before A/C, we had what we'd call, "swamp coolers". Water would drip though and soak pads of excelsior (wood shavings), and a fan would suck the air through them. The evaporation of the water would cool the air. Worked just fine until the humidity went up, then all it did was circulate hot air....

Was going to watch football yesterday, couldn't decide on the XFL or the USFL, so I didn't watch anything. Somehow it just doesn't feel right watching football in the Spring so I went out in the garage and finished that woodworking project. Yeah, actually got something finished, now maybe back to my layout and finish the trackwork.

Take care everybody, stay warm for sure, summer's not that far away.....

RE: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #IX.. Stop In!!! - FiatFan - 04-24-2023

Greetings, gang.

Sunny and 28, hopefully the last time being below freezing for a while. Mid 50s for the high not only today but for most of the week and that's about 10-15 degrees below normal.

Gym and maybe some shopping are the only items on the to do list for today. Looks to be a very quiet week.

All stay safe.

Tom

RE: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #IX.. Stop In!!! - ezdays - 04-24-2023

Good morning good people, geeze Tom, your high is lower than our low. I can't imagine freezing temps this late into Spring. Did take it easy over the weekend. Had stuff I needed to do, still need to do them, so maybe today.

Need to call my home warranty today, garbage disposal busted, don't know what to do with all the stuff I usually shove down it. I've been paying every year for this warranty that covers anything in the house like plumbing and built-ins. My A/C is about 17 years old and they cover that too. So far, they're ahead of the game and that's fine. I also have homeowners and vehicle insurance and I'm fine with them being ahead too. Insurance is nice to have but you really don't want to have to actually use it. Around here, flood insurance is rare, but we've had our share of floods over the years, so I feel for those that got stuck.

Just one appointment so far this week, don't know if something else pops up, but I'm at the ready if it does....

Take care and y'all have a pleasant week. And yeah Charlie, we're still missing a few regulars, let's hope that they are just really busy right now.

RE: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #IX.. Stop In!!! - sir james - 04-24-2023

Hello Blue
Sun this morning, 33/45 for the day.
Didn't do anything noteworthy over the weekend.
There have been some good Walleye catches in the Detroit River lately. The best catches come from the Canadian side, but you need a Canadian fishing license.
Warmer weather would be nice but can't complain as I only used the snowblower once for the entire winter.
S.J.

RE: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #IX.. Stop In!!! - Charlie B - 04-24-2023

Good morning
     We started out below freezing this morning but it is to go all the way to 39 today. A cool week is expected until Thursday

Sir James. when I was a kid our family used to go to the St Clair River to fish for chain pickerel. At that time no license was required because they considered the river international waters and the only limit was on the size. If you caught the run you could bring home an easy 100 pounds of filets and I love those pickerel. 

With the cool days i will try to do some work in the train room. I still have items to unpack and decoders to install so it isn't like I have to search for something to do. 

My back pain is easing but I am not holding my breath. I thought it would be gone completely by now. I will continue with the exercises because they do help, but I have been doing them for over 5 years so I would think they would have prevented this. Wink

Beat wishes for a great week ahead
     Charlie

RE: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #IX.. Stop In!!! - sir james - 04-24-2023

Charlie all that has changed. Everybody gets into the act now. Even if you fish in tribal waters, they want money for a license too.

RE: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #IX.. Stop In!!! - Charlie B - 04-24-2023

(04-24-2023, 08:17 AM)sir james Wrote: Charlie all that has changed. Everybody gets into the act now. Even if you fish in tribal waters, they want money for a license too.

Yes, government meddling in everything.  I bought a lifetime Ohio fishing license 4 years ago and have not been fishing. In my area we have a beautiful creek that is in a state forest but no access unless you can hike to it. They never stock it, and the good lakes have been stocked with hybred stripped bass that have ruined the fisheries IMHO. I like bass and walleye and I like eating them too, the wipers I have tried are not good eating. 
Charlie

RE: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #IX.. Stop In!!! - tompm - 04-24-2023

Good afternoon folks

It is 54 and heading up to 58.

I had a productive and a not so productive weekend. The productive part came around and outside the house. I put the roof cover on the gazebo in the backyard. Friday, I pulled out the furniture for the backyard gazebo and the front patio and got everything set up. I still need to get the swing frame out of the garage. We also need to bring the tables now from the attic that are currently holding potted plants that were brought indoors for the winter. Saturday, we planted the herb garden and finished planting the pansies that were left over from the initial round of planting. Also moved some wayward plants back to the spots they should be in. Sunday, we returned a few Amazon items, ran to Target and the grocery store. Then we had dinner at a burger joint. Unfortunately, I did not get to the fishpond. I did a couple loads of laundry before my daughter commandeered the washer and dryer.

The unproductive part was the layout and workbench. On Friday and Saturday due to being exhausted from the outside work I never made it down to the basement. Sunday evening, however, I did make it down and wished I didn’t. I decided to test my new MTH Milwaukee Road Little Joe and was very disappointed in its performance. I made a post elsewhere describing the problems. After fiddling with it for nearly two hours I gave up and went back upstairs and entered a few pieces of rolling stock into my inventory program.

Today should be light both at work and home. Tomorrow I have to take my wife to the doctor as they try for a second time to install a device to stop her post-menopausal bleeding.

Tonight, perhaps I will paint some walls on the Morgan House kit. I should try to run some trains also.

I hope everybody has a good day.

RE: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #IX.. Stop In!!! - jim currie - 04-24-2023

hi all. its Monday again not much new except the paloverde's are blooming killing my allergic reaction to them . did a bit on some models not much else got to go feed the chickens now.
stay safe.
Jim

RE: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #IX.. Stop In!!! - FiatFan - 04-25-2023

Greetings, gang.

My hope from yesterday for no more below freezing temperatures was shattered this morning. It's currently 30 degrees outside my window. Supposed to get to to the mid 50s this afternoon under clear skies.

A trip to the gym and a bike ride were the highlight of my day yesterday. Probably the same for today.

All stay safe.

Tom

RE: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #IX.. Stop In!!! - ezdays - 04-25-2023

Good morning all, yeah Jim, those trees leave a field of yellow blooms all over the streets and sidewalks. I don't have any, but get enough of my neighbors to keep my allergies at their peak. All the guessers have our first 100 degree on Sunday. We go target shooting on Monday, it'll be a few degrees cooler, but not much. I think we're going to leave around 5:30, shoot first, eat breakfast on the way home.

As for gas, $4.99 is the low in our area except for Costco & Sam's, they remain at $4.39. The local TV news spends more time on sports that the local economy. That's another reason why I don't get the newspaper anymore, one page on the economy, two whole sections on sports.

Bought a new office chair yesterday. As usual, it comes as a kit. Got it put together in around 20 minutes except for the last bolt that holds the back to one armrest so you can't see how it's going in. About 45 minutes later it finally did go in. Should have given Office Max the $15 they charge for assembly, but I like the challenge. The thing that gets me is that they have an assortment of chairs, so many look alike and the prices vary from the low $100's to the high $500's. Some cheaper ones are more comfortable than the expensive ones. Got mine on sale, normally $320, sale price, $180. Probably last year's model, who cares....

Everyone have a fine day today, do something you like, put aside some drudge work for another day.

RE: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #IX.. Stop In!!! - tompm - 04-25-2023

Good morning folks

It is 46 going up to 58. The temperature is somewhat deceiving this morning. I wore my light hoodie up to the job site. Got out of the car in the parking area and was fine. Started to walk to the project site and I was cold from the wind and the shadows. Went back to the car and changed into the heavier hoodie.

Last night I put away a few Easter decorations and went through the paperwork that came with the new air conditioner. Threw out the advertisements and put the manuals in the “manual” drawer.

I ran my BLI Reading T-1 for about 40 minutes last night with no problems. This only makes me more annoyed at the MTH Little Joe. Over the next few nights I want to grab a bunch of rolling stock and see how the T-1 does.

This afternoon I have to take the wife to Paoli Hospital for her procedure. Got our fingers crossed this time things work out.

I hope everybody has a good day.

RE: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #IX.. Stop In!!! - ezdays - 04-26-2023

Good morning everyone, no changes here, temps still in the 90's, Sunday still tagged for our first 100, just about on schedule. Filled up at Sam's club yesterday, $4.39, today it dropped to $4.35. Everyone else is still way proud, next lowest is $4.99.... Gas is cheaper in California, no protests, no unruly gangs marching through the streets, they have us backed into a corner, don't complain or we'll raise prices even more.

Nothing much else to talk about, meeting someone for lunch, don't get to eat out much since living alone except for breakfast. Today I'm trading breakfast out for lunch out....

That's about it, some of you guys are still fighting low temps, my theory on this is that there is a finite amount of heat in the world, if one place gets hot, another has to get cold to compensate. If we had a way to even that all out, we'd all be basking in 80 degree weather.

Take care, stay warm and stay safe...

RE: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #IX.. Stop In!!! - FiatFan - 04-27-2023

Greetings, gang.

Sunshine greeted me when I finally got out of bed this morning. 45 now headed for 70 later. Last warm day until the middle of next week.

Yesterday was pretty quiet. I was feeling a little under the weather so nothing was accomplished. I did go to dinner with some ling time friends and had a really good time. Slept til after 7 this morning. Over 8 hours. Very unusual for me. Headed to Walmart shortly to pick up a few things. Then dinner this evening with my Thursday group.

Gas was $3.36 last night when I was out an about.

All stay safe.

Tom

RE: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #IX.. Stop In!!! - sir james - 04-27-2023

Hello Blue
Sun and 50s today. Norm would be 63.
Gonna take wife to the mall today as we have a grandson wedding soon and you know how women are about getting dressed up. Me? I wanted to wear flannel but they said no, not even wearing a tie. Geez. Had fish & chips at a place called New York Deli, believe me I've had better.
How's the water level situation out there?
S.J.