The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #IX.. Stop In!!! - Printable Version

+- (https://bigbluetrains.com)
+-- Forum: The Depot (https://bigbluetrains.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Forum: Hobo's Camp (https://bigbluetrains.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=39)
+--- Thread: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #IX.. Stop In!!! (/showthread.php?tid=9237)

RE: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #IX.. Stop In!!! - FiatFan - 05-16-2023

Greetings, gang.

Clear skies overhead mark the beginning of the warming trend. It's been cool the last few days with highs only in the 60s. Upper 70s to low 80s for the next several days.

It was pretty quiet around here yesterday and today looks to be the same. Menards and Walmart this morning and babysitting my grandson this afternoon. He's 34. Actually his wife is dropping him off here after a doctor appointment rather than take him back home again. If it warms up enough I'll try to get in a bike ride before he gets here.

Gas price dropped 12 cents to $3.27.

All stay safe.

Tom

RE: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #IX.. Stop In!!! - tompm - 05-16-2023

Good morning folks

It is a comfortable 64 on its way to 79.

The last four or five days have been a rollercoaster. My wife has been having issues with her allergies for a while now. Things kept building and she had a problem with them on Sunday which resulted in canceled Mothers’ Day plans. Yesterday she was scheduled to have surgery to address her bleeding issue, but it did not go as planned. When she awoke and got ready everything seemed under control. She had a minor flare up before we left the house, but it was nothing more than what she usually gets, and it quickly subsided. As we drove to the hospital another episode started and by the time, we arrived she was in a full-blown attack. We checked in and they took her back to the prep room. Once there, seeing how she was breathing they canceled the surgery and sent her to the emergency room. In the ER they took blood and X-rays. They gave her IV Benadryl and steroids. After several hours things finally calmed down to the point where she could go home. She is now on steroids for the next ten days and sees her allergist in a week.

Somehow through the chaos I was able to add a decoder my NYO&W Stewart F3A and add number decals to it. The unit only has numbers on the number boards and at the bottom rear side. The numbers on the shell are the same side as the “F” for front and a real pain to get into place because each numeral is a separate decal. Last night I began preparing the F3B unit for decals. The B-unit only has the “F” and the tiny numbers on the rear of the shell. The B-units use the A-unit number with a “B” added. I also installed the decoder in the NYO&W Stewart FTA unit and started getting it ready for decals. In addition to the decals the F3A has, the FTA has two sets of numbers on the front of the hood. I had to stop on the FTA unit because back when I assembled it I had to glue the windshield and side windows in place due to them breaking. I could not find my masking paint so I had to order it and it should arrive today.

I have to get ready for a concrete pour in about an hour.

I hope everybody has a good day.

RE: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #IX.. Stop In!!! - Charlie B - 05-16-2023

It's 63 degrees and mostly sunny in East Palestine with a high expected to be 74. 

Thank YouTube for making the starter rope job a piece of cake. It took longer to watch the video than it did to do the job and the roto tiller is once again back in service.  The remainder of the seed potatoes are planted too so this fall when potatoes are cheap and abundant you can all thank me.  Icon_e_biggrin  It never fails that something that has a high price will be extra cheap when my produce is ready.  I will have 2 tomato plants and 2 bell pepper plants and that is the extent of the garden this year. 

My Wife is healing very well, the biopsy was clear so she is doing well. Keeping her down is the problem. 

Have a grand day ya'll
Charlie

RE: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #IX.. Stop In!!! - jim currie - 05-16-2023

Charlie we had a starter rope problem when we had the place in the country we stored all of the equipment in the barn the rats and mice loved to chew on the starter ropes so a older guy who lived down the road   told me to replace them with 3/8 wire rope  and a pipe handle thus ended the starter rope problem as far as i know the people that bought place still used them .
Jim

RE: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #IX.. Stop In!!! - FiatFan - 05-17-2023

Greetings, gang.

The National Weather Service says skies are clear but they are apparently not looking out the window again. The sky is covered from horizon to horizon with smoke from Canadian forest fires. Last night I closed all the windows in hopes that the smoke didn't get too bad in the house. So far this morning that seems to have worked. Currently it's 53 and supposedly going to the upper 70s this afternoon.

Yesterday was a pretty quiet day. Had a nice visit with my grandson yesterday afternoon. I did stop and get gas while about yesterday morning. $3.24 at Walmart, $3.27 at most places. One station trying to get prices to go to $3.49. I'll be curious to see who wins when I go to the gym later. Nothing else really planned for the day so far.

All stay safe.

Tom

RE: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #IX.. Stop In!!! - tompm - 05-17-2023

Good morning folks

We have a cool 55 and are expecting a high of 79.

Last night was a pretty mundane evening. Did a little laundry but not much else.

My masking paint arrived so I masked the windows in the FTA shell. Once the mask was dry I sprayed the shell with a gloss finish in preparation of applying decals. I need to figure out what number I want to give the locomotive.

I need to pick up a couple of over-the-counter allergy meds for my wife on the way home this afternoon. I have more laundry to do.

I would like to decal the F3 B-unit and perhaps start on the FT A-unit.

RE: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #IX.. Stop In!!! - ezdays - 05-17-2023

Good Wednesday morning, the TV lady showed pictures of folks driving in heavy rains on the freeway, don't know where the video was taken, but according to the rain map, we had some rain around Gold Canyon, just that there's no freeway there. Kinda makes you wonder about the news reporting.... We did hit 105 at the airport, looking to cool down a bit into the single digits starting today, still a slight chance of rain.

The Phoenix area now has the highest price for gas in the nation. No one can give an honest answer as to why, drive a few miles out of the county and you can save a dollar a gallon. Drive to an adjoining state and you can save two dollars a gallon. There are no efforts to investigate this rip-off, the average for the Phoenix area is now $5.02. Oh, Sam's Club just dropped a penny, Costco should follow today...

Did not get any real work done yesterday, did get a lot of miscellaneous stuff done that needed to, today there is nothing going on, my plan is to get the garage cleaned before it gets too hot. If I get that done, I'll reward myself with a nice dinner out. I can't do that and cook too.

Take care, have a great day, remember, just two more days and it's Friday... Applause

RE: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #IX.. Stop In!!! - Charlie B - 05-17-2023

Good Morning
       We have 43° currently and it is to remain cool all day. Possible frost tonight, and coll for the rest of the week 

Our cheapest gas is 3.45 and holding. I love the line that they don't make much on gas. If that was true there would be no paying at the pump at a convenience store. I don't imagine it is 42% but they do well. 

I had a locomotive with severely dirty wheels so last night I removed them and used my moto tool and a wire wheel to clean them and the contact area on the inside, and I cleaned the factory grease off the gears and added some labelle grease and oiled the bearings. It did the job and I didn't mess the wipers up  Icon_e_biggrin

I think I will scan some more documents for my geneology folder and take it easy for a while. 

My wife is really doing well. I caught here pulling weeds yesterday and had to raise hell with her. She just won't be kept down. I think she should be able to spade and till the garden in a week or so and maybe spread a couple tons of limestone while she is at it  Icon_e_biggrin   Our border collie wants her to take him for a walk. That I can't do because I am only good for about 500 feet walking. I hope to rectify that. I have been diligent with my exercises and I do see and feel a difference . 

Remember Don, when you see water on the street, "Turn round, don't drown" 

Charlie

RE: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #IX.. Stop In!!! - sir james - 05-17-2023

We have sun at 50 degrees. 60s for the day. A north wind makes it feel cold.
The sky is clear this morning but was hazy all-day Wednesday from the fire in Canada, as mentioned above.
My wife and DIL prepped the gardens for planting but still keeping the plants protected from possible frost. 
No train news to talk about.
S.J.

RE: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #IX.. Stop In!!! - FiatFan - 05-18-2023

Greetings, gang.

Still smoky this morning and it looks to stick around for a while. 59 going to maybe 79 later.

Pretty quiet day again yesterday. Gym and a bike ride. Today I need to mow and run the string trimmer. Otherwise a quiet day ahead. I've started giving consideration to tearing down The Adobe Flats Municipal Railway and starting over with something new. I haven't touched it in several years and maybe this will give me an incentive to work on it again.

I actually hit the low spot on the gas price curve Tuesday. When I was out and about yesterday I noticed the gas stations have fallen in line for the higher price. $3.49 all over town now.

All stay safe.

Tom

RE: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #IX.. Stop In!!! - ezdays - 05-18-2023

Good morning everyone, it supposedly rained a bit yesterday, sporadic at best, we might have gotten a tinkle, same at the airport. Temps in the high 90's for a while, a better chance of rain tomorrow. As for gas, a few, and I mean a very few, stations have dropped five to ten cents, one Circle K is down to $4.79 if you pay cash. We still have many stations over $5.00, with $5.59 the highest.

I did some actual work yesterday, got the garage swept up. I should go back one more time with the air a blow everything off again now that the dust has settled, there was lots of sawdust and it's hard to get it all in one or two passes.

Charlie, glad to hear that your wife is doing so well. Just as you were getting the hang of using the vacuum cleaner too. Icon_lol

Nothing else of any significance going on, the usual overnight shootings, wrong-way drunk drivers and a long list of other crimes that won't even make the news. Oh, the City of Tempe voted down the multi-billion dollar arena for our hockey team. There were so many giveaways for the huge entertainment/housing complex that it almost was illegal. The vote wasn't even close. Applause Besides, it was going to be built right under the air approach to Sky Harbor Airport. Would you want to spend a million dollars for a high-rise condo where a plane would be landing every few minutes day and night?

Time to head out for breakfast, then decide what to do today. I hope everyone does something today that makes everyone laugh, it's good for the soul....

RE: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #IX.. Stop In!!! - tompm - 05-18-2023

Good morning folks,

It is a chilly 48 this morning. Our high is supposed to be 66. Some areas up in the mountains such as Pottsville had Frost Advisories this morning.

Not much happening yesterday. The wife is still having allergy/asthma attacks despite being on a high dose of prednisone. The attacks are short in duration, and she says on a scale of 1 to 10 they are 2’s and 3’s, nowhere near the almost 10 she had at the hospital on Monday. I did some laundry. My wife transplanted a couple of plants. She was going to do more but the chill rolled in and it was too cold to sit outside for her.

I did not get train stuff done. By the time I had some time I did not feel like dealing with very small and difficult to see decals. Maybe tonight I will get to them.

Charlie, glad to hear your wife is getting better to the point she is "getting in trouble."

RE: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #IX.. Stop In!!! - Charlie B - 05-18-2023

Good Morning. 
       It's one of those mornings here. We had frost over night and it is still downright cold at 09:30.  Looking for a high in the upper 60's.

I will have to mow today. It's Thursday, my normal mowing day and I may have to sweep the clippings this time because the grass is so high. 

My go to laugh for a video is this one,  Elephant It always makes me laugh  Icon_e_biggrin even when my mood is bad, 

I got lucky with a locomotive repair yesterday. a decoder reset was all it took. I figured I had killed one. 

My friend sent me a screen shot from the news last night. Another train fire ( Just 15 miles from East Palestine)    

This should not have even made the news but now it is front page. The train car is full of demolition debris. 

When you are done laughing have a good day
Charlie

RE: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #IX.. Stop In!!! - hillyard999 - 05-18-2023

Charlie and Tompm,
Sorry to hear of your loved ones' health problems.
I hope that both of your wives are doing better. 

last night I remembered a caboose project sitting forgotten. Primarily painting.
time to make that happen.

I've also been attending a series of genealogy  classes. have plenty of info and photos too.
Am trying to figure how I want to organize for our grandchildren.

RE: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #IX.. Stop In!!! - FiatFan - 05-19-2023

Happy National Bike to Work Day, gang.

And yes I did ride my bike to work quite frequently. 50 at the moment but only going to the low 60s later on. That pesky smoke is keeping the temperature down.

Decent day yesterday. Got the yard mowed and then rode the bike for 14+ miles. The city is building a new trail around a local lake but it's not officially open yet. I was able to ride it with no problems. Not sure why the "Trail Closed" signs and barricades are there. Only thing planned for today is maybe a trip to the gym but since I've been up since 3:30 today I may not make it.

Greed is suddenly running amok at the local gas stations. After jumping 22 cent earlier this week the price of gas has jumped another dime. Up to $3.59 yesterday.

All stay safe.

Tom