The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #IX.. Stop In!!! - Printable Version

+- (https://bigbluetrains.com)
+-- Forum: The Depot (https://bigbluetrains.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Forum: Hobo's Camp (https://bigbluetrains.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=39)
+--- Thread: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #IX.. Stop In!!! (/showthread.php?tid=9237)

RE: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #IX.. Stop In!!! - tompm - 06-06-2023

Good morning folks

It was a bit chilly this morning walking along the Schuylkill River and the project site. It is currently 64 going up to 78. We have a 30% chance of showers. Like Charlie it has been a while since we had any rain. We had a couple of passing showers on Friday which barely got the driveway wet.

They are trying to get my wife’s surgery scheduled before all her test results expire and before the doctor leaves the practice. This means it could be next week.

Not much happened last evening. I did finish tuning up four more express reefers. This gives me ten Chateau Martin Wines express reefers. I tested them with the BLI Lehigh & Hudson River Mikado which went well. I did have one car that would derail on a frog. The temporary solution was to turn it around and it ran without incident. These are all older Roundhouse kits, and I am not a fan of the trucks on them. At some point I would like to replace them with something else.

I hope everybody has a good day.

RE: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #IX.. Stop In!!! - FiatFan - 06-06-2023

Don - 14.7 miles in 1 hour and 11 minutes. Avg speed 12.2 mph. On to the next goal which is a longer ride. Hopefully near 20 miles. Right now I'm dealing with sunscreen that dripped into my eye. Not pleasant!

Tom

RE: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #IX.. Stop In!!! - FiatFan - 06-07-2023

Greetings, gang.

Hazy (smoky?) and 66b in the remote reaches of northern Iowa. Only supposed to get to about 80 for the next couple of days. Probably no rain until the weekend.

Routine day yesterday. Bike ride and baseball game for one of the great-grandsons. Today is swimming and clean out the fire pit.

Gas was still $3.24 yesterday but one station trying to raise the price back to $3.49.

All stay safe.

Tom

RE: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #IX.. Stop In!!! - ezdays - 06-07-2023

Good morning good people. We're in for a cooling trend, stating today, low to mid 90's through to the end of next week. That's nice since I'm working out in the garage at least today.

Tom, that's really good speed, that's just about what I can do in my truck going through Sun City.

Not much else to talk about, I'm running a bit late anyway, so I'm off to breakfast and a stop by Home Depot. I need to go to one in Peoria since the one here didn't have what I wanted, even though the website says it does. Supply chain issues I suppose...

Take care, and be careful, things can get messy out there....

RE: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #IX.. Stop In!!! - tompm - 06-07-2023

Good morning folks

It is currently 60, heading up to 76.

The smoke from Quebec has made its way to us. I went outside last evening around seven to water the plants and take the recyclables to the curb. I was greeted with the small of plastic burning. Looking across a couple of yards I could see a smokey haze in the trees. A few minutes later I head the fire siren for a volunteer fire company in the neighboring township. I check the app on my phone to find out that all five companies in Haverford had been dispatched for fire investigation. A more in depth look at the app I could see close to a dozen fire companies had been dispatched for fire investigations. After about an hour or so the Delaware County Emergency Services released a statement saying the smoke and smell were from the Canadian fires.

The wife finally got a date for her rescheduled surgery. It is next Wednesday. She goes for preadmission testing tomorrow.

Yesterday I changed the couplers on four more Athearn TOFC’s. I also began working on changing the couplers on an Athearn three dome tank car.

Today I have my semi-annual visit to my primary care doctor.

RE: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #IX.. Stop In!!! - Charlie B - 06-07-2023

Good morning
        51° heading for 70° and no rain in the forecast until Saturday. I remember not too long ago when we were becoming energy independent now we are worried about cooking with gas.  

I have a few outside jobs I need to do and the weather is perfect for that. 

Things are looking good here on Wilderson.  I put Kadee couples on 2 more IHC cars last night for the carnival train and found 2 more I can do.  I can't get motivated to finish putting things back together in the train barn so maybe someday soon.  

Cheers
 Charlie

RE: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #IX.. Stop In!!! - sir james - 06-07-2023

Hello Blue
Weather is still the same. 75 for a Hi. Daylight but the rays are not penetrating the smoky haze. Hasn't rained in 2 weeks so the grass looks like straw. Water bill used to be a small utility but now it rivals the others. So the garden gets watered but the grass will wait till it rains. No train news as I missed our club meet due to a grandson's graduation ceremony. One of my friends has become an official old timer now that he sits with a heating pad on his sore back. Most of us can relate.
S.J.

RE: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #IX.. Stop In!!! - BR60103 - 06-07-2023

We have enough smoke that we are wearing particulate masks outdoors even if we're 6 feet apart. (due to my asthma).
We did drive a few places today. We gave a couple of pairs of lawn chairs to Goodwill, along with an umbrella and some footrests. Part of downsizing from having owned a trailer and a motorhome.
No railway activity.

RE: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #IX.. Stop In!!! - FiatFan - 06-08-2023

Greetings, gang.

Cloudy and cool this morning. 60 now and it's supposed to be in the low 70s later. Quite a change from the last several days. I did get about a quarter inch of rain overnight.

Pretty routine day yesterday. Gym and a bike ride. Also got the yard mowed. Bike ride is about the only thing on the agenda for today.

Whoever cleaned out the spammer thank you!

Looks like the high priced gas won the war this time. Most stations are reporting $3.49, up a quarter from yesterday.

All stay safe.

Tom

RE: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #IX.. Stop In!!! - ezdays - 06-08-2023

Good morning everyone, bright and shiny here, not so much back east. I hope things clear up soon. I hate wildfires, not only because of the damage, but for the loss of the trees.  Prayers always for those working them.  We've had a few pop up the past few weeks, but none so far have spread.

Yeah Tom, thanks, Goldth that was the worse case of spam we've ever had, the guy spent over four hours posting 180 spam messages. He was still on line when I got here. It took less than five minutes to dispose of him and all his garbage. It could have been a bot, but regardless, we kept them occupied for all that time, all for naught...

Still working on my planer stand, normally it would have just taken a few hours, it still may, just that it's stretched out over a few days. Work a bit, take a break. Work a bit more, take a bigger break, and so on....

Gas still dropping, Costco & Sam's down to $4.38, many others at $4.65 and up. Temps also dropping, 98 yesterday, nice for now since back in 1985 we hit 115.

Take care everybody, especially those of you getting choked by the smoke....

RE: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #IX.. Stop In!!! - FiatFan - 06-09-2023

Greetings, gang.

Hazy and 57 going to 83 but I won't be here for that.

Yep, leaving shortly for South Dakota. Grandson getting married this weekend. I'll be back either Tuesday or Wednesday so participation here may be spotty.

All stay safe.

Tom

RE: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #IX.. Stop In!!! - sir james - 06-09-2023

Hello Blue
Just checking in.
Some sun getting through the smoke haze this morning. Still a bad air day. 58/73 will do it.
I haven't been out this week but I don't think gas prices have changed at or about $3.49.
S.J.

RE: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #IX.. Stop In!!! - tompm - 06-09-2023

Good afternoon folks

It is a 65 going up to 73. We are expecting the possibility of showers later. The smoke is mostly gone. The past two days have been wild. Personally, I think Wednesday afternoon and night were the worst of it. The AQI readings got as high as 464 overnight Wednesday into Thursday. Wednesday afternoon the smoke was thick, and my eyes began to feel like the smoke from a campfire and been blown into them. The wood burning smell was very strong at that time too.

My wife made it to her pre-admission testing with no problems from the smoke yesterday. She passed and the surgery is on for Wednesday. We have our fingers crossed this will be the last time.

I did get some train time last evening. I changed the couplers on five Athearn/Roundhouse Triple dome tank cars.

Saturday is the Delaware County Pride Festival which my son is the chief organizer. While my wife and I will not be in attendance due to her mobility issues and the possibility of issues from any remaining smoke, we will be helping this evening with last minute prepping and loading and unloading vehicles. I will be on call most of the day tomorrow just in case there needs to be an emergency supply run. Sunday will be recovery day and the beginning of putting everything back into storage. If time allows, I would like to go out and get some plants for the front garden. We do need to make a grocery store run at some point over the weekend.

I have a bunch of Athearn RTR cars that need couplers changed. There are several other cars that need to be examined to see if they meet standards. Any of the cars I finished will need to be entered into inventory. I would like to run some trains and possibly upgrade a locomotive or two to DCC.

RE: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #IX.. Stop In!!! - ezdays - 06-09-2023

Good morning all, I hope the air is clearing up and the wildfire is being contained. We have one major wildfire here up near Flagstaff. Also near Flagstaff is that 23 car derailment. All 23 were carrying brand new vehicles. Not so new anymore. No injuries though and no hazmat situation since someone told me that all the vehicles were electric...

Gas here is going down around five cents every few days, normal now is $4.59, still a good dollar more than other places, even within our own state.

Got my planer stand project done, thanks to using a lot of scrap material and screws that I had laying around, the total out-of-pocket cost was $5.40 for two 2 x 3's I used for the legs. Now I guess I need to find a project to justify buying the planer in the first place. Waiting 

That's it for now, temps here are still running under 100 so we'll have a nice day, I hope you do as well. Icon_e_biggrin

RE: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #IX.. Stop In!!! - sir james - 06-09-2023

The smoke finally cleared out and now we have blue sky with purrty white fluffy clouds. We watered the gardens and then I sat on the patio for a while soaking up some rays.
S.J.