The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #IX.. Stop In!!! - Printable Version

+- (https://bigbluetrains.com)
+-- Forum: The Depot (https://bigbluetrains.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Forum: Hobo's Camp (https://bigbluetrains.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=39)
+--- Thread: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #IX.. Stop In!!! (/showthread.php?tid=9237)

RE: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #IX.. Stop In!!! - sir james - 06-28-2023

Hello Blue
Nasty case of wildfire smoke here, smells bad and burns your eyes. Sun is up but the rays are not getting through the smoke. Hi around 80 today,
I haven't been out this week so not sure on gas prices but they have been pretty steady around $3.59.
S.J.

RE: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #IX.. Stop In!!! - BR60103 - 06-28-2023

All outdoor activity here has been cancelled. We may get a bit of relief when it rains.
I had a note from the credit card people that they needed to send me a code. Unfortunately, they offered to text it to my landline which doesn't do texts. I managed to get that adjusted.

RE: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #IX.. Stop In!!! - ezdays - 06-29-2023

Good morning everyone, got a rather large wildfire going east of Scottsdale, some 1500 homes were evacuated since the fire line is within a hundred feet or so of houses. It's horse country out there so lots of them finding new homes for now. Around 2000 acre burned, but apparently the evacuation order has now been lifted. TV new shows large DC10 tanker planes dropping retardant. Temps are high, the low for yesterday was 80, the high 108. Can hit 115 this weekend.

Gas still dropping, Costco down to $3.89, most others $4.15, still too high but not the $5.00 of a month ago.

Got home from dinner yesterday and was greeted with a flooded bathroom. A small pinhole in the flex pipe going to one of the faucets. I have a home warranty that I pay for every year that will cover the plumbing repair (with a co-pay for each incident), but not any water damage. Had a leak up in the attic a while back and there was a lot of wallboard and insulation damage. This time, there's some damage to the cabinet but nothing compared to the last time. Cleaning lady shows up today and I hope the plumber, so it may be a busy morning.

Not much else going on, I think that's enough for now anyway. Y'all have a great day, be careful and stay safe.

RE: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #IX.. Stop In!!! - FiatFan - 06-29-2023

Greetings, gang.

Hazy/smoky this morning outside my window. Supposed to be in the upper 80s with a 10% chance of rain.

Fairly quiet day yesterday. Biggest project was installing the new blinds in the spare bedroom. This morning I have doctor appointment in Ames, about an hour southeast of me. This evening I have my Thursday group in a town about a half hour northwest of me. Yeah, some travel but I figure it's the same as living in a big city but without all the congestion.

Don - sounds like my new phone. USB-C to USB-C. My phone supports so-called "fast charging" but that requires a special charger. I can buy one from the manufacturer for $35 plus shipping or I can order the same thing from Amazon for $17 and it also includes a car charger. Guess where I got mine from.

Charlie - hope your dentist visit goes well today.

All stay safe.

Tom

RE: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #IX.. Stop In!!! - sir james - 06-29-2023

Hello Blue
Smoke is no longer a novelty, it completely spoiled the month of June. Hi today will be 81. It's daylight but no rays of sun at all.
A trip to Menards yesterday, didn't stay long, got what we went after and left.
As expected gas was in the $3.59 range everywhere.
S.J.

RE: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #IX.. Stop In!!! - BR60103 - 06-29-2023

There was an article in the paper about people having expired car licenses. Just before the last election, the government abolished fees for car licences and driver's licences. They also refunded any fees paid in the prior two years.
But you're still required to renew. They just don't send a reminder.
They now have fancy new equipment to read licences and check if they're up to date. Lots of people getting caught.
I checked ours and we're good to next July. (I put the car in Dayle's name because it renews on a birthday and July was a better time for putting a sticker on than December.)

A few years ago a nephew flew down to the States for a job interview. After he landed, he couldn't rent a car because his licence had expired and he hadn't noticed. He missed the interview and the job.

RE: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #IX.. Stop In!!! - FiatFan - 06-30-2023

Greetings, gang.

Another humid day underway. 69 at the moment with 88% humidity. Maybe some rain tomorrow to bring down the humidity somewhat.

Good visit with the doctor yesterday. Finally found out what the problem was. Easy but tedious fix, applying medication to the area 3 times a day for the next 6 weeks.. Met with my Thursday group last night at a new restaurant we wanted to try. Supposed to open at 4. We waited until 4:15 and no one showed up. Wound up going to a different place where the food was ok but the place was really noisy. Not much on the agenda for today.

All stay safe.

Tom

RE: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #IX.. Stop In!!! - ezdays - 06-30-2023

Good morning all, the weather websites finally woke up and adjusted their predictions a bit. They've gone up a few degrees but still don't match the 116 the TV folks say will happen this weekend. We did hit 108 yesterday. Not sure if I'll be going anywhere anyway, need to relax once I get home later today, they go through a main artery to do their work and they don't want it to pop open because I did something stupid. Other than that, nothing on the schedule until next week. Got my house cleaned yesterday, she even helped me change the bed sheets, just one nice lady for sure. Have not heard from the plumber yet, no rush, I don't use that sink much anyway.

In Arizona they don't remind you about renewing your driver's license. You don't have to until you reach 65, by then they don't trust your driving habits and have you renew every five years. Mine is up for renewal next year. As for vehicles, they don't miss reminding you there. It's based on the value of the vehicle. Buy a new $40,000 car and your tags for the first year will be close to $700. My truck is a 2020 and I just paid almost $500 for a little sticker to put on my license plate for one year. Oh, but that does include $25 that I pay to have, "ezdays" on my plates.

Gas down another ten cents, Sam's down to $3.88. Why does gas prices go up like a rocket and fall like a feather?

That's it for now, have a great day and for those in the US, get ready for the Fourth of July holiday.

RE: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #IX.. Stop In!!! - Charlie B - 06-30-2023

Good evening
        I went to the dentist yesterday, (New to me) and discovered (as I thought) a seriously infected tooth. They did not have time to pull it so I set up an apointment for the 5th. They called while I was driving home and had a cancelation  so I went right back. In the process my BP got way high and they made me rest until it dropped. The dentist numbed it as best he could (the antibiotic had not cleared all the infection). It was not what I call pleasant but the tooth is gone and he cleaned the socket and I was feeling pretty good last night and today. better news was the insurance paid 100 percent, including adding the now missing tooth to my partial. 

I have some new Amfleet cars to assemble and I wnt to workon the grocery store cars this week end. We have nothig planned for the 4th. 

Happy Canada day to our northern neighbors. Years ago we were in Canada for the 1st of July because it was also the first day of Bass fishing season. As young folks we enjoyed celebrating both holidays among our many friends. 

Cheers to all and keep all your extremities in tact. 

Charlie

RE: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #IX.. Stop In!!! - tompm - 06-30-2023

Good afternoon folks

It is currently 84 which is also the daily high.

It was a busy week with a bunch of overtime which was a good thing as it made up for missing Monday.

My kids are on their European cruise, so it is quiet around the house. The wife is still recovering from the infection as a result not much has gotten done. Today was the first day she actually felt like doing something, but she could not venture outside due to the smoke.

I got the coupler changed on 10 Athearn cars this week.

For the weekend we will probably try to catch up on some chores such as cleaning around the house. We need to make trips to the grocery store, produce store, and the gas station. My wife has a couple of Amazon returns so that means a trip to Kohl’s.

I would like to continue with changing couplers on a bunch of Athearn rolling stock. I also have a number of pieces of rolling stock that I need to check coupler height and check the weight. Some have plastic wheels that need to be changed to metal. Once they are tuned up, I will add them to my inventory program. For a change of pace I could add a decoder to a locomotive or two.

I hope everybody has a good day.

RE: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #IX.. Stop In!!! - FiatFan - 07-01-2023

Greetings, gang.

Cloudy/hazy/smoky this morning in the remote reaches of norther Iowa. 68 going to maybe 83 with a 40% chance of rain.

Finally managed to get my 21 mile bike ride in. No ride today so I can recover. Then a shorter ride tomorrow, slowly working back to the 21 miles next week. Today is laundry and yard work. Maybe some house cleaning also.

Charlie - glad your dentist visit went well, including the financial side.

All stay safe.

Tom

RE: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #IX.. Stop In!!! - ezdays - 07-01-2023

Good morning good people, spent the whole day at the hospital yesterday, but apparently they did what I went there for. They repaired an aortic aneurysm last year and it was leaking. Now they say it's been patched.... Very tired but doing fine.

Temps yesterday hit 110, could get up to 116 in the next few days. As for gas, Sam's down to $3.74, lots of stations at $3.99. Can't believe they're lowing prices during a holiday weekend, but we're still way higher than the nation average.

That's it for now, just going to relax and get some energy back. I'm sure there'll be a few neighbors testing their fireworks before the actual holiday, but I have earplugs if they get carried away. I hope everyone has a great weekend.

RE: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #IX.. Stop In!!! - sir james - 07-02-2023

Hello Blue
Thick smoke this morning. Can't even see the sun. Hi of 79 today w/afternoon storms possible.
Old Jimmy is hurtin this morning. Had a chore that involved using an old wooden ladder. The chore was easy, the ladder was not.
My wife will attend church this morning, I will watch the sermon from home.
S.J.

RE: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #IX.. Stop In!!! - FiatFan - 07-02-2023

Happy World UFO Day, gang.

Mostly sunny and 73 headed for still mostly sunny and near 90. Over 90 for tomorrow and Tuesday so I may actually turn the a/c on.

Routine day yesterday. Got the laundry done and the yard mowed. Then put some grass seed down where crews dug up the yard in preparation for bringing fiber optic to the house. Hopefully in the next couple of weeks I'll be able to annoy you all at much faster speeds.

I watched the start of the F1 race and then hoped on the pollution solution vehicle for a 12 mile ride. Next up is to gather some supplies and check on the condition of my wife and son's grave sites.

Don - Glad your surgery went well. I figured out what the double ended cable for the phone is for. Seems newer computers are coming equipped with a usb-c port so I guess you can hook your phone directly to your computer.

All stay safe.

Tom

RE: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #IX.. Stop In!!! - ezdays - 07-02-2023

Good morning, hit 114 yesterday, one degree shy of the record. Wouldn't know, spent the day inside, same for today. Glad they have TV mass for us that can't go. I guess my surgery wasn't as simple as I thought it would be. About 2 1/2 hours in the OR, almost 10 hours total in the hospital. Seems like I left my energy behind. I'm OK, just very tired, gunna have to skip all the hoopty-do for the Fourth I guess, no square dancing, no marching in the parades.... nope, not even heading to the city fireworks.

SJ, even on the best of days, I will not get on a ladder anymore. Nope That's why I live so close to Pat.

Geeze Tom, that means I need a new computer. I just now got this one to work like I want and your saying I need to train a new one if I want to plug my cell phone in..... I must have a half-dozen different size USB cables, but I guess they've gone to USB-C as the standard now.

Heading to a bit of R&R, I'll be here if need be, but my rest comes first. Take care and enjoy the day.