The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #IX.. Stop In!!! - Printable Version

+- (https://bigbluetrains.com)
+-- Forum: The Depot (https://bigbluetrains.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Forum: Hobo's Camp (https://bigbluetrains.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=39)
+--- Thread: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #IX.. Stop In!!! (/showthread.php?tid=9237)

RE: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #IX.. Stop In!!! - FiatFan - 09-11-2023

Greetings, gang.

Partly cloudy and 56 maybe going to the low 70s. Got a little less than a quarter inch of rain yesterday.

Football game was fun as always. Not much else going on so it was a pretty quiet day. Quiet day ahead today. I'm considering ding some shopping today but probably not. Tonight I need to check in for jury duty. Didn't need to report last week. Fingers crossed.

All stay safe.

Tom

RE: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #IX.. Stop In!!! - ezdays - 09-11-2023

Good morning all, today, of course, is the 22nd anniversary of 9/11, and infamous day for sure. Just take a minute or so to reflect on that day and how it brought all Americans together with our allies. I hope that it doesn't take another day like that to bring our people back together again.

[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTA-D1AVJUYOkBnx4tZIHm...g&usqp=CAU]

Another record day yesterday, broke at least three, but the streak ends today. Current temp at 5:00 is 83, high expected to be around 102. Tomorrow's high forecast in the mid 90's with a good chance of rain. Good timing since I get my missing truck part installed tomorrow and they usually bring it out sparkly clean. 

Have a good day, just remember how much others have sacrificed so much, just so that we can have a good day.

RE: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #IX.. Stop In!!! - sir james - 09-11-2023

Hello Blue
Sun this morning, rain later. 58/75 for the day. 
Watched a lot of football over the weekend. Some game scores got so one-sided I moved on to other things.
Too many accidents on the freeways this morning, lots of people will start the week late for work.
No train news.
S.J.

RE: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #IX.. Stop In!!! - tompm - 09-11-2023

Good morning folks

It is currently 71 heading up to 80 with the possibility of storms. It has rained off and on all weekend.

The back injection went well on Friday. I was in and out of the hospital in about 3 hours. The back and legs feel better than they have been in months. My back is a little stiff this morning.

Saturday my daughter took my wife out shopping. My daughter needed to get some items for her new office. While they were out, I headed down to Delaware to get gas and go to a local hobby shop. The hobby shop visit proved to be successful as I found three Bev-Bel/Athearn blue box kits for New Haven State of Maine 40 ft boxcars. As a bonus the cars were assembled. This gives me five of the twelve cars in the series. I also purchased three Rapido F30G TOFC flat cars for Trailer Train.

Sunday we just lounged around the house recovering from our outings.

On the layout I finished gluing down the roadbed for the two-track mainline. I also tacked down the inside track and wired three more feeders. I have one more feeder to finish and then the inside track will be down and wired. I am waiting for more feeders to arrive so I can finish the outside track. I tested the inside track in both DC and DCC and it worked well. I have one spot that has been a problem from day one with derails and uncoupling. I added some shims to eliminate a dip in the tracks and I am hoping I finally solved the problem.

I hope everybody has a good day.

RE: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #IX.. Stop In!!! - ezdays - 09-12-2023

Good morning everyone, a quiet day yesterday, we had a low of 89 and a high of 106, almost a record on the low side, but that's it. Today should be a lot cooler, 95 and a good chance of rain. No change in gas prices yet, but I read where the price of oil is going up, so I'm guessing we'll be back to $5.00 a gallon gas soon.

Got two appointments today, one is to finish fixing my truck. The door trim piece they ordered eight months ago has finally arrived.

That's about it folks, y'all have a great day, and just for the heck of it, do something nice for a stranger. Yesterday, I had a guy walk back just to hold the door open for me at the Post Office. A small gesture, but a nice one.

RE: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #IX.. Stop In!!! - sir james - 09-12-2023

Hello Blue
Rain overnight, still cloudy. Hi of 70 today.
Got some gas @ $3.59 and a haircut for quite a bit more.
S.J.

RE: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #IX.. Stop In!!! - FiatFan - 09-13-2023

Greetings, gang.

Clear and cool at 46 this morning. High maybe in the mid 70s. Only a slight chance of rain and that won't be until Friday night or Saturday.

Still very quiet around here. Leaves are starting to come down so that's not gonna be fun. Mostly just a lot of reading and watching movies around here.

Gas has taken it's biggest jump in price. It was up to $3.91 yesterday from $3.49 last week when I was out and about.

All stay safe.

Tom

RE: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #IX.. Stop In!!! - ezdays - 09-13-2023

Good morning all, lets talk weather, a downpour around 7:30 last night, about 1/2" here. I haven't seen it rain that hard since March. Officially at the airport they only got .02", the record for that day was almost two inches back in 1897. Those were the good old days. Temps were suppose to be in the mid-90's, but actually hit 102. Today there will be flash flooding and "a marginal risk of severe weather". We needed that rain, I see too many trees dying, even some of my cactus has to be removed now from lack of water. The weeds are flourishing though.

Oil prices are up and they've already hit the pump. Some stations are up by 26 cents to $4.75, others haven't changed yet, but watch out.

Not much else going on, today is catch-up day, just find something that needs to be done, and think about doing it.....

Take care and enjoy the day.

RE: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #IX.. Stop In!!! - FiatFan - 09-14-2023

Greetings, gang.

Clear and 51 in the remote reaches of northern Iowa this morning. Going to near 80 this afternoon. Rain chances start late this evening and last through tomorrow afternoon.

Got a bunch of acorns rounded up yesterday. Maybe 80-90 pounds. Years past I've taken 300+ pounds to the yard waste disposal site. This morning I'll have to haul them away. Not much else planned.

Gas down a very generous (at least according to the oil companies) 5 cents after jumping over 40 cents earlier in the week.

All stay safe.

Tom

RE: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #IX.. Stop In!!! - ezdays - 09-14-2023

Good morning good people of Big Blue, just another day in paradise, rain to the north, rain to the east, rain to the south but a big hole in the center and west of the county. Oh yeah, that's where I live. How that happens, I just think that Mother Nature has something against me. When I lived on the east side, all the storms hit the west side which proves my theory.

Nothing new, gas heading up many stations have gone from $4.39 to $4.75 in one day.

Don't know if it's happening all over, but so many independent medical facilities here are being gobbled up by the big guys. I've been seeing the same doctor for over 20 years, about two years ago, he became part of a local group. I just got an announcement yesterday that this local group has now joined an even larger national group. Next step I guess is to go worldwide. I used to see this doctor within a day or two of calling, now it's two months in advance unless you see one of his many PA's. I've been avoiding going to one eye clinic, they are huge and treat patients like cattle. I found a smaller group that seemed to care. One day I'm sitting in the waiting room and they bring in these check-in kiosk machines. Yup, the smaller group just joined the larger one and now everyone gets treated like cattle.

Enough complaining for one day or I'll wind up having to see a doctor.....

Take care, be good and don't complain, it doesn't do any good and it's harmful to your health...I know....

RE: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #IX.. Stop In!!! - sir james - 09-14-2023

Hell Blue
Sun @ 48 degrees this morning. 70 for late afternoon.
Don Doctors are doing the same thing here. I'm sitting here with a kidney stone and stint in me, waiting 3 weeks for a follow-up. After I finally get to see the doctor it will be another 3 weeks before the hospital gives me an out-patient date. No train news, we have a club meet on Saturday.
S.J.

RE: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #IX.. Stop In!!! - Charlie B - 09-14-2023

Good morning

48 degrees when I woke up and it has warmed slightly. 

Our doctors have all been gobbled up by the big guys too. One of them is nothing but a company with a great interest in making money. No one works for free but these companies are charging rates so the CEO's can live high on the hog while the doctors and other care givers eek out a living. One company has just announced they will no longer work with one of the largest health care companies because the insurance refuses to pay their rates.  I left our PCP 5 years ago because of theis and the place I went to was also gobbled up by the same health care company.  I have now with a Nurse practitioner for my PCP and she is better than the last 2 doctors. I think we  can blame the lawyers for most of this, too many frivolous law suits against doctors that lost even when they did no wrong. 

I did get the motorhome tires aired up to 80 pounds and test drove it. It handles better but still has something going on with the suspension.   Radius arm bushings are the next step. 

I am hoping this hurricane heads on out to sea. DrWaynes son lives in the current path.  If it heads out to sea lots more people can rest easier.   

Cheers 
        Charlie

RE: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #IX.. Stop In!!! - tompm - 09-15-2023

Good morning folks

It is a chilly 53 this morning. I might be wearing a hoodie up to the job site this morning. Our high will be 77.

It has been a hectic week between work and doctors’ appointments. My wife went to a doctor’s appointment by herself this week. She drove herself there and was able to walk from the parking lot to the office and throughout the office and back to the car without assistance. This a big step for her considering that a little over two years ago her visit to this doctor involved both my daughter and myself. I had to pull up to the door. My daughter had to help her out of the car and into a wheelchair. Then we had to push her around the office and help her back into the car.

I hit a major milestone on the layout last night. The two-track main line is now completely tacked and wired into four power districts/blocks. I spent a good amount of time testing trains after connecting the last set of feeders. The trains ran great. I brought out my MTH Milwaukee Little Joe to test it. The last time I had it out it ran poorly especially on the sections of track that lacked feeders. Last night it ran like a charm over the entire layout proving my suspicions that it was a track power issue causing it to run poorly.

Not sure what we have planned for the weekend. Since my wife is able to be more mobile, we may have to try a few things we have not done in some time. Perhaps go shopping or visit a museum or something similar. Around the house there is the dreaded pile of laundry to throw around. Maybe on a shopping trip we will go searching for mums to plant in the pots around the garden.

On the layout I want to run some trains. I would like to speed match several locomotives so I can experiment with running a long trailer train. I have some decoders to install. I need to decide what is next for the layout; ballast, roads, another building, or something completely different.

Speaking of doctors. My wife has lost four doctors and I lost two in the last year. We lost our long time primary doctor when he disappeared for about 4 or 5 months. We would call his office and they kept saying he would be back next month. Things got to a point where we needed prescriptions refilled and the other doctors in the “big” practice would not do so. (Our doctor used to be on his own but after the pandemic he joined would of those big hospital groups.) Then we both lost our orthopedic surgeon as e was moving back to Texas to be with his family. My wife then lost her new primary, and OB/GYN as they left the practices, they were in.

I hope everybody has a good day.

RE: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #IX.. Stop In!!! - ezdays - 09-15-2023

Good morning all, very little change here, temps still up, but could start down next week into the 90's, no significant chance of rain. Gas is up and will be even upper next week. I see some stations already at $4.99, Costco is at $4.44. Got to fill up this morning 'cause I know it'll be even higher this afternoon.

Seem like the more people I talk to, the more I find their displeasure with what's going on in the medical industry. I have a friend who will tell the people in the doctor's office that he's not a patient, he's a customer and should be treated like one. He blames the lawyers for all the merging and selling and doctors leaving their practice. Insurance rates are way too high for a single-doctor office to make it. A large corporate office can do better, plus they can even afford to advertise on TV.

I'm ready for a massage and a chiropractic adjustment this morning, than nothing scheduled until the week after next. Someone will screw that up.

Take care, have a great weekend, lots of football if that's your thing. Whatever you do, stay safe.

RE: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #IX.. Stop In!!! - sir james - 09-15-2023

Hello Blue, I got the O this time.
Sun and 70 for late afternoon.
Just checking in. No major news except the auto contracts, we have been bombarded with that news. If the strike last very long there will be supplier layoffs.
S.J.