The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #IX.. Stop In!!! - Printable Version

+- (https://bigbluetrains.com)
+-- Forum: The Depot (https://bigbluetrains.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Forum: Hobo's Camp (https://bigbluetrains.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=39)
+--- Thread: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #IX.. Stop In!!! (/showthread.php?tid=9237)

RE: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #IX.. Stop In!!! - ezdays - 11-11-2023

Heat is about the only think that works for me on leg cramps. I take statins, causes cramps, take CoQ10 that helps, but when they come, there's little warning. A heat pack for 15-20 minutes does wonders. I have one that I heat in the microwave for a minute. It wraps around my leg and have even gone back to sleep with it on.

RE: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #IX.. Stop In!!! - BR60103 - 11-11-2023

I was up a half-hour early this morning so that we could go to the Remembrance Day service at McCrae house. (John McCrae wrote In Flanders Fields.) It was pretty well attended for a residential plot. We passed up the big service in the hockey arena.
We did go out to the airport to see the Warbirds take off. They did a flypast over a couple of cenotaphs in the area, but we saw them up close. Later we saw them fly over Guelph, but so far away that they looked like a collection of mosquitoes.

(Birds reported as T-33, L29, Vampire, Harvard.)

RE: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #IX.. Stop In!!! - Charlie B - 11-12-2023

Good morning Blue

We have 41° and sun here with a high in the mid 50s predicted. 

I have more leaves to mulch  and there will be more drop so I will have to do it again when they fall. 

All 4 of the feral kittens have survived and are as big as their mom now. Mom and uncle Vinny are missing but these 4 have found a home. I am trying to discourage that. I had them spayed and had the vet give them the necessary shots at the time but they are not pets and never will be. They discover a hole in the soffit on the porch roof and have access to the attic. I had to order a right angle adapter for my power screw driver so I can put soffit there and I only have 4 inches to work.  It would have been easy when the house was built to just put soffit up but I guess the guy that built this place saved 5 bucks. 

I have to go pick up the tool and the material for that job today too. I may work on trains tonight. 

Don, my wife made heating pads with cloth bags full of dried rice. one minute in the microwave and they are ready for use and they conform well to the aching area. 

good day to everyone
       Charlie

RE: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #IX.. Stop In!!! - ezdays - 11-12-2023

(11-12-2023, 09:11 AM)Charlie B Wrote:        Don, my wife made heating pads with cloth bags full of dried rice. one minute in the microwave and they are ready for use and they conform well to the aching area. 

good day to everyone
       Charlie

I think you can buy pads like that. I use those filled with gel. I've got a couple that wrap around my leg and hold with Velcro. I kind of look like one of those Maui dancers with stuff wrapped around their ankles. Only difference is the abbs. Icon_rolleyes

Nothing significantly different here, just one, ASU beat UCLA, their third win this year. Temps in the low 80's, gas still dropping, $3.69 - $3.79 around average. We still have a few stubborn stations trying to get $5.00 in some remote areas.

That's it for now, enjoy the rest of the weekend...

RE: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #IX.. Stop In!!! - BR60103 - 11-12-2023

We went to a railway show today. We were shocked at the parking lot -- really full -- we thought there might be another show on. And a long line to get in an hour after it started.
I bought some diaphragms for my coaches but I don't know if they'll fit as they're for F units.
I got a years worth of Trains for $2. That's a dollar less than the cover price. (It was 1945.)

RE: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #IX.. Stop In!!! - ezdays - 11-13-2023

Good morning all, nice weather right now, 59 at 5:00AM, 86 late afternoon. Yes, after a brutal summer, we're OK with mid-80's, but still praying for some rain.

Big surprise, both our football teams won this weekend, ASU beat UCLA, and the Arizona Cardinals won with a last second FG. Still both have new coaches and dismal records, so they always fix that by firing the coaches and hiring ones that just got fired somewhere else. Did you see where they fired the coach at Texas A&M, and gave him a $76,000,000 going away present. I guess they'll have to raise student tuition to cover that.

That's my crab for the day. Have a great week, stay safe...

RE: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #IX.. Stop In!!! - tompm - 11-13-2023

Good morning folks

It is a cold 27 this morning. Our high will be 50.

It was a good and bad weekend. On the good side we got the Thanksgiving decorations put up. We did some house cleaning, and I started the laundry for the week.

On Saturday we took a trip to see Koziar’s Christmas Village in Bernville, PA which is northeast of Reading. It is an outdoor Christmas light display and was pretty impressive and fun. The trip was also a test for my wife as it was the first local excursion she has taken in many months and possibly a year or more. She used the wheelchair mainly but that was due to the crowd. She did walk around the stores and some of the indoor displays. On Sunday she went to Target with my daughter. She used the store provided scooter, but she is beginning to lose her fear of going out.

Sunday for me, however, was not a good day. I was helping my wife put some clothing away in the closet and apparently turned the wrong way and set off my hip. The pain was nasty, and I had to take it easy for the rest of the day. When they went to Target, I stayed home. No carrying laundry baskets or putting decoration bins back into the basement for me.

The only train stuff I got done was inputting some new rolling stock into my inventory program. I have finally decided I am going to work on another building for the downtown area.

Today I hope to get through the day with as little hip pain as possible. I will see what limitations I have when I get home this afternoon which will dictate what I do this evening. If I can I want to open and look at the parts for the Ashmore Hotel kit.

I hope everybody has a good day.

RE: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #IX.. Stop In!!! - FiatFan - 11-13-2023

Greetings, gang.

32 and clear headed for the low 60ss for the next few days. About 10-15 degrees above average.

Pretty quiet day yesterday. Another batch of leaves have been evicted from the property. I'll be disposing of the evidence later this morning. Also need to make a couple of phone calls. One is to replace the furnace, the other is to call a tree trimming service. After looking at the tree in the back yard I realized there's no safe way to get a ladder in there. I'm really not in the mood for broken bones.

In other activities planned for today I need to replace the ethernet cables in the house. You know it's time to upgrade when the new router is smart enough to tell you the cables are old. All part of moving the house into the 21st Century (finally). Another project is to dispose of a couple of old monitors. All the running around town will be dependent on when the tree people and the furnace people will be here. Gonna be a pricey day.

All stay safe.

Tom

RE: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #IX.. Stop In!!! - FiatFan - 11-14-2023

Greetings, gang.

Another mild day underway in the remote reaches of northern Iowa. 43 now going to the upper 60s but unfortunately with 30+ mph winds. Tomorrow should be better with nearly the same temperatures but only very light winds.

Yesterday was mostly successful. I never heard back from the tree guy and got lazy about the cabling. Otherwise all tasks accomplished. Not much on the agenda for today. I'll try calling the tree guy again. Also need to clean the area around the furnace for when the new one i installed next Monday. In the meantime I'm just leaving the furnace set at the daytime temperature so it doesn't have to work so hard. Fortunately the weather is cooperating with very mild temps for this time of year.

All stay safe.

Tom

RE: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #IX.. Stop In!!! - sir james - 11-14-2023

Hello Blue.
We have sun this morning, lite frost earlier, hi of 50 for the day. Gas prices are still in the 3.30 range, eggs are back down to around a dollar. Haven't done much since our weekend club meet. Just checking in.
S.J.

RE: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #IX.. Stop In!!! - ezdays - 11-16-2023

Good morning all. Yeah, we were down for a few hours yesterday, we can't figure this out, nothing wrong with our software, so we're guessing that maybe it's a problem with the available bandwidth where someone else on the server is hogging it, we're not sure, but this we do know, if you get a "44" error and can't get onto Big Blue, wait a bit and come back because it always clears itself, usually withing minutes. Yesterday was unusual that we stayed down as long as we did.

Was suppose to rain, this big green thing on the weather map was headed our way from the west. Wound up with some rain down in the SE area, Tempe and Mesa, not much there either. A very slight chance today, a bit more on Saturday, but I don't give it much hope. Temps are still in the high 80's which no one is complaining about.

Gas is still dropping, not close to other parts of the country, but still we were at $5 a gal a few weeks ago, so we have Costco/Sam's at $3.45 here, if you're willing to drive down I-10, you can get gas for as low as $2.77.

One week before Thanksgiving in the US, so quick this year, it's like they left a few months off the calendar.

Take care my friends, have a fun and safe day today..

RE: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #IX.. Stop In!!! - FiatFan - 11-16-2023

Greetings, gang.

50 going to the mid 60s with 30 mph winds. Yesterday was a truly superior day with a high of 64 and only very light breezes and lots of sunshine.

Because of the nice weather I spent a lot of time outside yesterday. Rounded up a small herd of leaves and then washed the car. Mid afternoon found me on the patio running the track cleaning car around the yard. I tried running the Afternoon Special passenger train but for whatever reason it kept derailing. Finally gave up on that and just enjoyed the weather while watching the fire in the fire pit.

I saw the crew in the neighborhood running conduit to houses for the new fiber optic network but didn't think they'd make it to my house. Surprisingly they showed up about 5 and worked til after 6 in the dark to get the conduit run to my house. Now it's just a matter of time til the next crew comes around to get me hooked up. In a related incident my current internet was having multiple internet failures throughout the afternoon and evening. Finally came back sometime overnight. Only project for today is to clean out the fire pit.

Gas was down to $2.89 yesterday.

All stay safe.

Tom

RE: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #IX.. Stop In!!! - tompm - 11-17-2023

Good morning folks

It is 44 heading up to 67.

I am here a bit early this morning as we have a 7 AM concrete pour which means I have to be onsite at 5:30 AM.

I have been taking it easy this past week due to some pain in my hip. I have been staying away from any heavy lifting unless absolutely necessary. Unfortunately, that has meant that not much has gotten done around the house or with modeling. I did get some entries into my inventory program.

We have a bunch of outdoor stuff to do this weekend such as begin to take the outdoor furniture and put away in the garage clean out the garage, move the potted plants to their indoor winter locations, cover and put the heater in the pond. Inside there is laundry to catch up on and some cleaning to do. A run to the produce store, grocery store, and pharmacy are also need.

I finally bought some boxes to use to put away several locomotives that no longer fit in the boxes they came in such as several steam locomotives that once you connect the tenders. I don’t like disconnecting the wires from the tender to the locomotives to store them. There are a couple that I do not have the original boxes. I have some cars I can tune up. I want to start on the Ashmore Hotel kit. Maybe run some trains.

I hope everybody has a good day.

RE: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #IX.. Stop In!!! - ezdays - 11-17-2023

Good morning all, we are halfway into November already, kinda scary how that happens so quickly. Thanksgiving less than a week away.

It did rain some yesterday, most again in the southeast. There was puddles in the gutters and it looked like it rained here, but apparently not enough to measure. Tomorrow is suppose to be a much better chance of rain, but again, that could miss us entirely.

Nothing else significant going on. I am doing better, headaches aren't as intense so that's a good thing. Need to think about getting back on my layout but I'm not ready to stand up for any length of time. Healing is directly proportional to one's age, that's reality, so everyone remember that even though there's no scientific basis for it.

Have a great day, and even better weekend.

RE: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #IX.. Stop In!!! - sir james - 11-17-2023

Hello Blue
Lite rain, was 58 this morning but going down through the day.
Not a good way to start a day. Turned on the laptop to find a lifelong friend passed away during the night. He had a stroke, recovered, was looking forward to going home today. His organs suddenly shut down and he was gone. Then I went to a train forum I visit and one of the forum founders also passed during the night. Maybe I'll just start staying up at night. My big event for today is a kidney ultrasound this afternoon. Looking forward to Saturday football.
S.J.