The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #IX.. Stop In!!! - Printable Version

+- (https://bigbluetrains.com)
+-- Forum: The Depot (https://bigbluetrains.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Forum: Hobo's Camp (https://bigbluetrains.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=39)
+--- Thread: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #IX.. Stop In!!! (/showthread.php?tid=9237)

RE: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #IX.. Stop In!!! - Charlie B - 12-03-2023

(12-03-2023, 03:09 PM)ngauger Wrote: Gas is creeping down here in The Keystone State.....  $3.55
In Delaware about 8 miles away, it's $3.05

I applied for my Retirement funds from SS...
I'll be making more not working than I am now  Smile  Big Grin  Smile

My last full time day is Dec 29th....  Then I start part time 2-1/2 days a week training my replacement.....
After 45 years of working, I finally made it to 65 Big Grin

Happy retirement. I have been loafing for almost 14 years. It is a great way to end a year.   And when you consider not having to drive to work that is even more saving.  I worked until I was 66. Though I loved my last job I was glad to pull the pin. 

Charlie

RE: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #IX.. Stop In!!! - FiatFan - 12-04-2023

Greetings, gang.

Cloudy and 30 at the moment. Supposed to get to maybe the upper 30s with a slight chance of rain/snow this evening.

Still nothing going on around here. If this keeps up I may actually start working in the train room again. Basketball game for one of the great-grandsons this afternoon and a Christmas program tomorrow evening.

Congratulations Mikey on making it out alive. Now you'll probably get the "since you're not busy now" calls which will keep you as busy as you were while working.

All stay safe.

Tom

RE: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #IX.. Stop In!!! - ezdays - 12-04-2023

Good morning everyone, a pleasant day here today. Still in the high 60's but heading to 80 in a day or two. Now you know why I put up with all those 115 degree days.

Welcome to the our group of old men Mikey. I need to remind you that you will on occasions find that you had more free time when you were working than when you are "retired". But congratulations and enjoy. Like your charging station, I have a mess of chargers, looks like a great solution.

Got a buys week, three or four appointments, two dinner invitations, shooting scheduled for Thursday, and that's enough to wear an old man out.

Take care everyone, have a safe day....

RE: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #IX.. Stop In!!! - tompm - 12-04-2023

Good morning folks

We are having a nice day with the current temperature being 48 with a high of 49.

It was a busy weekend. We got the garage organized and the outdoor furniture put away. Later in the day I got the outdoor Christmas lights put around the bushes in the front of the house. I still need to finish putting out the other decorations such as the lighted reindeer and candy canes. Sunday was a washout for outdoor decorating. Decorating the Christmas was completed, and my daughter baked five batches of Christmas cookies.

The only modeling, I got done was entering unbuilt kits into my inventory program. I thought I was finished but then I found a dozen more kits.

Tonight, I will work on some laundry and hopefully finish the outdoor decorations.

Congratulations Mikey on making it to retirement.

I hope everybody has a good day.

RE: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #IX.. Stop In!!! - Charlie B - 12-04-2023

Good morning.
       49° in the derailment capital of the world.  More folks have been arrested for defrauding NS out of evacuation funds. Some people that don't live here and never have have turned in claims for up to 20 thousand dollars. 

I worked on a couple more passenger cars and installed the capacitors for the flicker free lighting.  I also got a bunch of seated people from ebay for bottom basement prices and they only required amputations at the ankles for the most part so they would fit on the low seats in the car interiors.     

I have some more 34 foot 2 bay hoppers to assemble and if I get warm enough weather I have some undecorated box cars and refers I want to paint so I can make some more KJR cars and I have transfers for Olde Frothingslosh Beer refers that I would like to do before Christmas. 

I found a 60 amp DC circuit breaker and it was delivered Friday. I am adding a DC terminal to the motorhome for some other accessories, mainly the diesel fuel heater I am installing. I am going to try to finish that today. 

We may have to go to Youngstown to pick up some meat for the freezer. There is a market in Boardman that has all Ohio raised meats and their prices are very competitive.  It is owned by the Rulli Brothers and if it is Italian and they don't have it, it really isn't Italian.  If I am lucky my daughter will go with my wife so I can stay home. 

Tom FF, I am envious of you being able to watch the kids play their sports.  I am afraid to go anywhere where I can't be sure to have access to a rest room in a hurry. I am very glad that they post to facebook so I can enjoy from the comforts of home.  

OK folks, relax, take a deep breath, be thankful you are alive, and hug your loved ones. 

Charlie

RE: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #IX.. Stop In!!! - FiatFan - 12-05-2023

Greetings, gang.

32 this morning with evidence of some snow flurries overnight. That evidence will be disappearing soon as we are predicted to be close to 60 by Thursday. Only the upper 30s today. Warmup starts tomorrow.

Shopping this morning and a Christmas program this evening. Another basketball game Thursday. Got my monthly fiber network update email yesterday. Looks like I won't be getting the higher speeds until at least next month. Grrr!

Charlie - Thanks. I really enjoy watching the kids not only for the game but to watch as their skill level improves each year.

Gas was down to $2.72 last night.

All stay safe.

Tom

RE: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #IX.. Stop In!!! - Charlie B - 12-05-2023

Good morning

We have 39° with a high of 42° and rain predicted.

I got the breaker installed in the motor home and finished temporary connections to test the heater.  It works like a charm so I can go ahead today and do the permanent wiring.  The big part is finding a substantial ground and I think I can use one of the seat bolts which is a half inch and no crawling underneath to reach it. I also have to change the burned out dome light in my pick up truck.  It will be LEDs when finished. 

I hope to do some more train room work tonight.

Stay safe everyone and keep warm or cool which ever is needed.
Charlie

RE: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #IX.. Stop In!!! - ngauger - 12-05-2023

Thanks for all the well wishes...
I hear that all the time: that once you're free from paid work, there's lots of people that depend on you since " he's not working, so he has plenty of time" Smile Smile

I'll still be working 2-1/2 days/week training my replacement...

RE: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #IX.. Stop In!!! - ezdays - 12-06-2023

Good morning all, I missed posting yesterday, the battery went out in my truck, spent four hours at the Post Office until a tow arrived to take me about a half-mile to an auto service shop I use. What a morning that was. Glad that happened yesterday and not Thursday when we'll be out in the desert target shooting and no one else is around.

Mikey will understand soon what we're talking about, the amount of free time you have when you're retired seems to be compressed. You barely finish brushing your teeth in the morning and it's lunch time already. Go out to the store and it's bedtime before you get back... The one big perk though is that you can go to Walmart and Costco when most other folks are working. Well, except here where I think 90% of the population is retired. I am surrounded by retirement communities and it's a battle to find a decent parking spot at any store anytime.

Yesterday we hit 82, a new record for that date, today should be about the same. As for gas, Costco/Sam's both at $3.05. I need to fill up before it drops more.

Take care, stay safe and enjoy the day.

RE: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #IX.. Stop In!!! - FiatFan - 12-07-2023

Greetings, gang.

34 and clear this morning in the remote reaches of northern Iowa. Maybe 60 today and 54 tomorrow. Much above average for this time of year.

Due to the nice weather I have a couple of outdoor projects lined up. I need to get the oil changed in my car and finish picking up leaves.. The leaf project got derailed when we had a surprise 2" snowfall. It was warm enough yesterday but with near 30 mph winds it was somewhat impractical. I did get 3 coats of varnish on the first batch of wood for the park bench. I may try for another couple of coats today.

The gouging gas station was up to $2.99 but the station across the intersection was $2.69.

All stay safe.

Tom

RE: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #IX.. Stop In!!! - jim currie - 12-07-2023

HI all. well Monday slipped by again now its Thursday, most forgotten day for most of the younger generation but for us old farts it's still a day of reembrace i guess fdr got it wrong in saying that it's a day that will never be forgotten. well enough on the soap box to cold to work on the layout. today were waiting for the guys to pump out the septic tank. All stay safe and warm Jim
PS Mikey welcome to the fold of old farts.

RE: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #IX.. Stop In!!! - Charlie B - 12-07-2023

Good afternoon. 

I got a gift in the mail from my friend and KJR engineer yesterday. I had asked him for pictures of an O gauge box car that was gifted to us in 2000 and instead he sent me the car and told me to keep it.  I want to make one in HO for my layout.  I spent the biggest part of yesterday making the logos and details for a decal sheet.  I did the print this morning and I will spray the decals with clear tomorrow allowing plenty of time for the ink to dry.     

The story is in 2000 a local hobby shop in Kittanning, Pa had a run of O gauge box cars done to celebrate the Armstrong County (PA) Bicentennial. He gave me a car and I just had to make a model of it so I painted the X29 box car we had to honor his work so here we actually have a 12 inch = 1 foot model of a 1/48 box car. This is the car that DrWayne modeled as it would have looked in the 40's and is now at the East Broad Top. Here is the logo that I was able to create      The rest should be easy. 

It is currently 42° and cloudy with warmer weather coming for the week end.  I have lived long enough that I know we will pay for this warm weather sooner or later. I remember all too well the winters in the late 70's and with todays fuel prices there will be a lot of folks suffering when that weather returns. 

NS announced that the assisted living will be cut off in February. We still have 100 families living out of town afraid to go back to their homes but with free room and meals I can see why that might be an incentive to stay away. My grand kids returned as soon as the order was lifted so they have had to pay their own way.  Most of these folks are in rentals and they are all over town. 

I will try to do a little outside work this afternoon, as soon as the daily dose of Gunsmoke has aired.   Icon_e_biggrin

Charlie

RE: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #IX.. Stop In!!! - LiveSteamer - 12-07-2023

Good Afternoon Everyone. Sorry for the lack of activity but I have been busy with stuff around the house and well getting myself in trouble with the fiance. Packages may or may not be arriving almost everyday with model trains or something to do with model trains lol. I look at her and tell her remember who likes model trains also and she just gives me that smile and goes back to her business. Things have been going good here though. Hope all is well with everyone and you are all ready for Christmas. Below is a few pictures as to what arrived in the mail. The undercoated hopper will be getting decals in the next few weeks for the C&I Railroad.

RE: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #IX.. Stop In!!! - BR60103 - 12-07-2023

Charlie
With all due respect, that car you made is at a scale of 48 feet to the foot.
Awesome

RE: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #IX.. Stop In!!! - ezdays - 12-08-2023

Good morning everyone. Had a nice day yesterday, target shooting improved immensely. The weather was nice and no one was around to bother us. Occasionally we have some dum-dum drive across our line of fire only to turn around and come back because they're not on any road. Got a text message while we were out there that my treadmill was delivered. Wasn't too concerned about porch pirates since the thing weighs 88#.

Temps will go down to the low 70's, no rain in sight. We finally got there, Costco & Sam's at $2.99 for regular. Lowest price in Arizona is $2.59, all around Tucson.

That's it for now, nothing on my schedule for today except a few phone calls. Take care, have a safe day...