The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #IX.. Stop In!!! - Printable Version

+- (https://bigbluetrains.com)
+-- Forum: The Depot (https://bigbluetrains.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Forum: Hobo's Camp (https://bigbluetrains.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=39)
+--- Thread: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #IX.. Stop In!!! (/showthread.php?tid=9237)

RE: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #IX.. Stop In!!! - ezdays - 01-08-2024

Good morning all. Sorry to hear of your loss Tom, it does look like you've got a good friend there.

Really cold this morning, 34 and we may not get out of the 50's until the weekend. Snow up north, Flagstaff right now at 8° and freeze warnings all over the state including the Phoenix area. Still a chance of rain later this week. The local news yesterday was almost exclusively about the weather, they call it "a weather action day", whatever that means.

Got an appointment this morning, then just hunker down inside for the rest of the day. No family dinner tonight, too many not feeling that well.

Take care everyone and have an enjoyable but safe day.

RE: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #IX.. Stop In!!! - tompm - 01-08-2024

Good morning folks

It is currently 39 with a high of 44. Thank to Saturday’s rain the project site is wet and muddy. If tomorrow’s prediction of 2.6 inches of rain the site is going to be a lot wetter.

Saturday. The weather was as miserable as predicated. I woke up to snow which changed to sleet in the early afternoon. By dinnertime it was all rain. As a result of the snow and sleet we did not make to the pharmacy to get our RSV shots. My wife was not comfortable walking on the slippery snow and sleet. Later in the afternoon when it had all turned to rain, we did make a trip to the grocery store. We did a few loads of laundry and put away about a third of the inside Christmas decorations.

I added my newest eBay haul, five MDC/Roundhouse 36 ft Billboard Reefer kits and a built Walthers PRR boxcar kit to the inventory program.

Sunday. We put away more Christmas decorations. We realized that one of the storage bins is MIA. I spent some time looking for it to no avail. I will continue looking tonight. Did some more laundry and clean out a storage file in the dining room corner.

I finished installing the glass for the windows for the Ashmore Hotel.

Tonight, hopefully, finish up the indoor decorations. I am going to try to install the interior decoration panels for the windows on the Ashmore Hotel.

I hope everybody has a good day.

RE: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #IX.. Stop In!!! - Charlie B - 01-08-2024

Good evening.
       The weather is dreary with a chance of snowraindrizzlefreezethaw then heavy snow may come or may not. Test for my insides coming Friday and I am not at all looking forward to it.  I have been feeling rough for the past 3 days. Not really down with something but feel it might be there. 

I put 5 blue box hoppers together last night and they all rubbed on the brake platform. I had to install smaller wheels. The sixth car ws fine and I couldn't see any difference.  The last lighting I did I installed tiny LEDs for markers. I wired them in parallel with the light strip and the car lights would not light. I finally figured I had to run leads back to the diode and bypass the light strip before both would work. I still can't figure out why. 

Tom, I am sorry to read about your friends daughter. 

Have a safe week and stay warm and dry
Charlie

RE: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #IX.. Stop In!!! - BR60103 - 01-08-2024

Temperature wavering around the freezing mark. Tomorrow is supposed to be snow (2"-4") changing to rain. more of the same all week. Because of this, we went shopping this afternoon.

RE: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #IX.. Stop In!!! - ezdays - 01-09-2024

Good morning, not sure about the temps outside. My thermometer needs a new battery and when I look at the weather apps I get between 32 and 34. Regardless, it's cold out there. Just looked at Flagstaff, they've had 16" of snow, and 10" still on the ground. Temps there are reported as either 1 or 9 degrees. I guess different apps measure things in different places, but you'd think they'd get the same info from the NWS, they talk about "models", but that is for forecasting, so do they all set up their own equipment, or just guess?

Gas is going down again, Costco/Sam's back down to $2.99, many others at $3.23. Supply and demand....

Just one appointment today, and then hunker down at home. Y'all stay warm and safe....

RE: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #IX.. Stop In!!! - tompm - 01-09-2024

Good morning folks

It is currently 34 and the high will be 50. We are expecting a boat load of rain starting later this morning. Last forecast I looked at said 2.33 inches. Since the river is still up from the storm last week that does not bode well for the project site. Looks like there will be flood clean up at the end of the week. They are already listing roads that they think will be closed due to flooding over the next 24 to 48 hours.

My plans for the evening were mucked up by the contractor staying two and a half hours late to finish work before the rain. Once I got home and ate, we continued putting indoor decorations away. I did pull out the window interiors for the Ashmore Hotel and looked them over trying to figure out how to attach them. The instructions say masking tape. I need to look over it some more.

Tom, sorry to hear about your daughter’s friend.

RE: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #IX.. Stop In!!! - LiveSteamer - 01-09-2024

Good Morning All, Well it is another winter day here in PA. At least the eastern part of the state. We have gotten about 2-3 inches of snow again in a few hours and it doesn't look like it is stopping. There is really nothing new going on here. Just wanted to stop in a say hi and check in. Take care my friends.

RE: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #IX.. Stop In!!! - FiatFan - 01-09-2024

Greetings, gang.

29 going to 20. The wind is picking up and the temperature will be dropping throughout the day. Got about 8 inches of snow.

Sidewalks have been cleaned for the first time. There will be more after the snow plows come through a couple of times. Not much on the agenda for today. Visitation this evening. Got a letter about my recall. they don't have a repair yet but the letter said just drive it til it dies and the have it towed to the dealer. Umm, no thank you. I will use the car sparingly until they have more info. I don't want to get stranded in the middle of nowhere in January.

All stay safe.

Tom

RE: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #IX.. Stop In!!! - sir james - 01-10-2024

Hello Blue
We have cloudy skies here in lower Michigan. 35 degrees for the highs till Sunday then down she goes.
No train news from me but my wife got a 3000-piece puzzle from one of the grandsons. She's enjoying it already. 
I told her a good puzzle maker would do it upside down, but she ignored me. LOL
Lots of snow around us but we have none, that's fine with me. Last time out most stations had gas in the 3.70 range.
S.J.

RE: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #IX.. Stop In!!! - FiatFan - 01-11-2024

Greetings, gang.

Cloudy and 23 going to 18. Yep, another ugly day underway. Winter storm warning posted for tonight through tomorrow night with possibly another foot of snow after the 6 inches we got on Monday. Then turning much colder with highs below zero for a few days.

Not much going on around here. The park bench is completed as far as I can go until spring when I can spray paint the angle iron i will be using to reinforce the seat. I guess I'll have to continue cleaning my shop. Not my favorite task but it needs to be done. Still no sign of my fiber optic network connection.

All stay safe.

Tom

RE: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #IX.. Stop In!!! - ezdays - 01-11-2024

Good morning all, still chilly here, mid-30's with rain expected any minute now. I'd like to clean up my workshop too Tom, but it's not heated,  so I just stay inside where it's warm. I see we're not the only area hit by storms and lower temps, at least we don't have snow to contend with here unless we drive up north.

Gas is still dropping a bit, some stations down to $3.07 giving Costco and Sam's a run for their money at $2.99.

I hope everyone has a great day and will stay warm and safe. The local news shows a snow plow up in Flagstaff that a car tried to pass. It took out the scraper, don't know what the car looked like but I'm sure the plow won.

RE: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #IX.. Stop In!!! - FiatFan - 01-12-2024

Greetings, gang.

8 going nowhere with 25 mph winds. Wind chill -10. Not sure how much snow so far but fortunately it's still only a winter storm. Blizzard starts at 10 AM although it sure looks like a blizzard out there now. Lots of "towing prohibited" on the DOT website and a number of roads around Des Moines are marked "travel not advised." Winds could hit 40 mph later.

I did get some groceries yesterday so I'm ready to ride out the storm. I'll be going out later to start clearing the sidewalks but no big rush as the blizzard conditions are supposed to last until tomorrow morning.

On the bright side gas was down to $2.58 yesterday although with the weather no one is going anywhere.

All stay safe.

Tom

RE: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #IX.. Stop In!!! - ezdays - 01-12-2024

Good morning everyone, yesterday was so much fun, wind was up to 20mph, felt like 50 though, don't know about the wind-chill but it felt like somewhere around zero. We also had a trickle of rain. Today should be better, but still cold for this time of the year. We will be climbing steady and should hit 75 in two weeks from today. Still, no one has brought out their snow shovels or blowers and all the snow plows are up scraping I-40. That's why we put up with the 115 temps this past summer.

So much for that, it's Friday, another weekend and we are halfway through January already. Just one house on our street that still has their Christmas decorations up. Y'all have a relaxing and fun weekend

RE: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #IX.. Stop In!!! - tompm - 01-12-2024

Good afternoon folks

It is 45 heading up to 50.

What a week. We had that nasty storm mid-week which caused a great deal of flooding, downed trees, and power outages. We lost a couple days at work to flood clean up. Tonight, we have another storm rolling through just like the last but luckily only half as long. However, they are predicating flooding again. This means I will not get in the outside decorations again. The only good thing is it is supposed to be over early Saturday morning, half of the time of the previous storm. I will be monitoring the basement for water.

On Saturday I need to go to the hardware store and get two basement window well covers. One of our existing ones is missing and the other is broken into pieces. When ever this happens, we can get water in the basement from the window well. My wife and I are going to try again to get out RSV shots. We failed last weekend due to the slippery conditions. Then there will be some shopping and laundry involved.

Sunday, Our kids come home from their Caribbean cruise and right into temperatures below freezing. We will work on getting the Christmas decorations down. My wife and I got most of them packed in bins but since I am not allowed to carry anything heavy. One of the kids will have to do the heavy lifting.

In the modeling world I have some new rolling stock to enter into my inventory program. I am also in the process of adding the interior cardboard photos to the windows on the Ashmore Hotel. Once that is done it will be time to assemble the walls.

RE: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #IX.. Stop In!!! - LiveSteamer - 01-12-2024

Good Evening Everyone, Well the storm has arrived that they were calling for this weekend. Started with high winds all day and are to continue until around 9 tonight. With the high winds we found that a few windows are leaking cold air. Now that it is all done I can sit back and tape off a few things to get them ready for paint. There is a lot of power outages around the area and quite a few accidents as well. If anyone here lives in pa especially the western part of the state be careful if you go out. 

Below is the former conrail cab all painted and awaiting decals now. Also the former PRR cab all taped and waiting for paint.