The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #IX.. Stop In!!! - Printable Version

+- (https://bigbluetrains.com)
+-- Forum: The Depot (https://bigbluetrains.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Forum: Hobo's Camp (https://bigbluetrains.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=39)
+--- Thread: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #IX.. Stop In!!! (/showthread.php?tid=9237)

RE: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #IX.. Stop In!!! - Charlie B - 02-13-2024

Good morning.

It is 30° and may reach 42° today.  We dodged the snow bullet once again because it stayed south and is heading east of us. 

I finished up the Walther's kits last night. The one I saved for last had the wrong sub frame and when I went to put the body on the floor I discovered it too was wrong so I had to cut about 1/16 off both sides and the ends so it would fit.  Icon_redface I had time to assemble one blue box refer and then I came in and watched soTV befor working on photos for an hour. 

When I was young I remembered seeing ads in the paper for High school football extras run by the football booster club. I found one of those ads     

I bet they were fun. Too bad this will never be done again. It would be an interesting train to model. I have a photo of a train at the East Liverpool station headed by Erie Build FMs and I would bet big money it is one of these extras because PRR discontinued passenger service in the late 30's, with the exception of  a doodlebug to Alliance.

Nothing else exciting. Keep healthy and safe

Charlie

RE: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #IX.. Stop In!!! - tompm - 02-13-2024

Good morning folks

It is 32. We are hoping for a high of 39. It appears that the snow may be over.

I did not go to work today as the only thing happening at the site is snow removal. Only 2 guys out of the usual crew of 14 are at work today. Over half the crew comes from Pottsville, Minersville, and Shamokin, PA up in the mountains and on a normal day have a 2-hour, 90 mile drive one way. If the roads are clear in the next hour or so I will drop my son off at the community center and go to the post office to drop a package off for my wife.

Yesterday after work I had to run to the pharmacy and the pet store. I did a few things to prepare for the coming snow around the premises. I never got a chance to work on any modeling. I am hoping for some time today.

I hope everybody has a good day.

RE: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #IX.. Stop In!!! - LiveSteamer - 02-13-2024

Afternoon All,

Well the storm shifted and we only got about an inch of snow. I was ready to go out and shovel but when I looked outside I didn't have to worry as it was already starting to melt.

We don't have anything planned for today other than staying warm.

Hope you all have a great day and evening. Take care.

RE: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #IX.. Stop In!!! - FiatFan - 02-14-2024

Greetings, gang.

Partly cloudy and 28 in the remote reaches of northern Iowa this morning. Supposed to get to the low 50s as the clouds increase. 70% chance of rain tonight.

Yesterday was a good day for me. My new glasses came in so I picked those up. Also did some shopping in Ames and finally found a new desk chair. Had a decent lunch at a bbq place. While trying on a shirt in one store I took my hat off. Since the weather was mild yesterday I realize I had forgotten it until I was on the other side of town. A quick trip back and I was able to recover it without incident. Routine trip home and a fun concert for the great-grandkids last night. The cherry on top was when I discover that it looks like the fiber optic cable has been pulled to the house. Next step will be to get that hooked up to my desktop. Then I can annoy y'all at the speed of light!

All stay safe.

Tom

RE: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #IX.. Stop In!!! - Charlie B - 02-14-2024

Good morning 

It is 29° heading for a high of 39°.  Gas is 2.999 a gallon.  

President Biden is coming to town on Friday. When he leaves i hope he takes the media with him so we can get back to normal around here. 

I managed to assemble 2 more Roundhouse PS2 covered hoppers last night and yesterday afternoon I did some work on the folk art sign that John Powell had made honoring our presence in Schenley.     (it was eventually attached to the station).     I have to put the yellow paint on the lettering that was original when it was on the Schenley sign.      .  It isn't much but it really had memories flooding back. 

I talked to Wayne last night, he is still off line awaiting computer repair by his daughter but every thing else is AOK     

I will try to build a few more kits today and stay warm. Nothing else planned. 

Happy Valentines Day.
Charlie

RE: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #IX.. Stop In!!! - FiatFan - 02-15-2024

Be very afraid, gang.

Got a call yesterday afternoon and I'll be getting my fiber connection next Wed. I could have had it tomorrow but I wanted to keep my old phone number so it takes a little while to port it over from the phone company, or so I'm told. Once I get the new connection I can drop my old phone company, my cable company, and my long distance service. Net savings should be over $100 a month ( just enough for a meal at McDonalds).

I did get some rain last evening which turned to snow later on. Nothing significant, just some snow on the grass. Tonight looks to be a different story with the possibility of 2-4 inches of the nasty white stuff. On the other hand it should be cold enough for the snow blower to handle it easily.

Charlie - thanks for the update on the Doc.

All stay safe.

Tom

RE: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #IX.. Stop In!!! - ezdays - 02-15-2024

Good morning all, glad to hear that Wayne is OK, there are a few others that have disappeared that I'm concerned about. Lutz hasn't been around for a while and neither has Deano. Anyone know anything about those guys?

I had to stay in most of yesterday because I was getting my windshield replaced. He took an hour and a half to replace the windshield and recalibrate the front-facing camera. Today's vehicles are just one big group of computers anymore. Pretty soon when you have to take your vehicle in for repair, you don't go to the auto mechanic, but to the Geek Squad.

We have fiber coming to our neighborhood, just that they're only offering Internet and phone service, so I'd still have to keep my satellite if I don't want to stream, and I don't...

Yes, it's late, it's not Saturday yet but I did get to sleep in. I opted out for breakfast, I guess us old folk sleep a lot and I don't usually take naps, so I made that all up this morning.

Have a great day today everyone, stay warm and stay safe. After a chilly wet week yesterday, we're inching up to close to 80 by next week.

RE: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #IX.. Stop In!!! - nachoman - 02-15-2024

Hello all.

Trying to catch up on what has been going on here the past few years. Glad to hear Wayne is OK, I noticed a lack of posts from him over the past few months.

As for me, I never thought I would ever say this, but I miss Radio Shack. No place to buy electronic components anymore except online.

RE: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #IX.. Stop In!!! - LiveSteamer - 02-15-2024

Afternoon All,

The temps are in the low 40's here now with rain. This storm is supposed to change over to snow by tomorrow. They are saying 2-4 inches but we shall see since they was wrong on the last storm.

I did get decals in the mail today so I can continue to number and letter some cars.

Other than that nothing else is really going on.

RE: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #IX.. Stop In!!! - BR60103 - 02-15-2024

I was doing a bad job of lettering a car last week and I wondered about decal sheets.
They print a lot of numbers in 1-9,0 order. You know that numbering a car "12345" is going to get your leg pulled (unless you have a photo).
Why not print numbers either
using a random number table?
using the digits in pi?

I'm afraid no photos because the computer won't talk to the SD card in my camera.

RE: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #IX.. Stop In!!! - LiveSteamer - 02-15-2024

(02-15-2024, 08:02 PM)BR60103 Wrote: I was doing a bad job of lettering a car last week and I wondered about decal sheets.
They print a lot of numbers in 1-9,0 order.  You know that numbering a car "12345" is going to get your leg pulled (unless you have a photo).
Why not print numbers either
using a random number table?
using the digits in pi?

I'm afraid no photos because the computer won't talk to the SD card in my camera.

Hey David, I get mine through K4 Supply Company and CMR Products LLC

CMR Products: https://www.cmrproducts.com/

K4 Supply Company: https://k4supply.com/

They have been pretty good and their decals are easy to work with and I haven't had any problems with it. I am also looking into starting to print my own decals but that won't be until the near furture.

RE: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #IX.. Stop In!!! - ezdays - 02-16-2024

Good Friday morning everyone, yet another weekend is upon us, mid-February and I still see a few houses in the neighborhood that have their Christmas lights on. I have weeds lighting up my front yard as does a few hundred neighbors, not sure if the HOA weed police are being kind or should I expect a citation in the mail soon. I called one yard guy, but he hasn't given me a date to come give me a quote. I have a feeling that it's going to be tough finding someone right now, the weed business is good thanks to the recent rains. Temps are in the mid to high 70's just right for growing weeds.

Gas is going up, No one is under $3.00, most are $3.19 to $3.39. I'm sure that'll change as the day goes on.

Enjoy the day, I'm about to start on that wooden pinball puzzle, I just need to find the space to build it since it'll take up most of my workbench.

RE: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #IX.. Stop In!!! - FiatFan - 02-16-2024

Greetings, gang.

23 going to maybe the upper 20s and breezy. My 2-4 inches of snow turned out to be less than an inch so I'm happy with the inaccuracy of the NWS in this instance. 50s next week so it won't last long.

I cleaned out the area where the new modem will be mounted. They call it an ONT - optical network terminal. To an old school guy like me it's still a modem, just a different kind. My biggest curiosity at the moment is how they will handle the phone line but I think I have that figured out also.

I stopped at the grocery store the other day for one item (milk). I wound up pick up three or four other things. When I got to the cashier I asked that since I only came in for one item that this should all count as only one item. The cashier and the one in the next lane both agreed with me. Unfortunately the register itself did not agree.

All stay safe.

Tom

RE: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #IX.. Stop In!!! - tompm - 02-16-2024

Good morning folks

It is 35 currently. The wind is making feel a lot colder. Our high is supposed to be 43. We have snow coming overnight and are under a Winter Weather Advisory for 2 to 5 inches of snow. This is one of those oddball storms where the further south and east you are more likely to get snow.

Last night I discovered that the glue I was using to install the window frames in the Ambassador Hotel walls is not holding. Several windows just popped out when I ran my finger across them. I went back and re-glued all the frames and glass with Plastruct.

Depending on the overnight snow tonight will determine some of wat happens this weekend. If the snow is deep enough it may require shoveling. There are Valentine Day’s decoration that need to be taken down and stored. I have to take a return back to the UPS Store for shipping. It is too big for my car so we will have to take the wife’s car. We need to hit the grocery store at some point over the weekend. When there is nothing else there is always laundry.

I want to continue working on assembling the Ambassador Hotel. I may tune up some rolling stock. I also could continue reorganizing how the rolling stock is stored. I hope I can run some trains.

I hope everybody has a good day.

RE: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #IX.. Stop In!!! - LiveSteamer - 02-16-2024

Good Morning All,

Well the storm we was to get last night into today has changed. It is now to start this evening into tomorrow with a possible 2-4 inches. They can never get the weather right.

Today I have to fix our furnace as it stopped working but thank god for our kerosene heater. I'm going to start at the heating oil filter and work my way to the furnace. I'm just hoping it's just the filter as the unit was serviced a couple years ago. I would hate to have a new furnace put it. One step at a time. After I get that done then we have to run to the store and get more heating pipe as I noticed last night some pieces are rusted through and is causing us to lose heat. So today will be an a fun day for me.