The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #IX.. Stop In!!! - Printable Version

+- (https://bigbluetrains.com)
+-- Forum: The Depot (https://bigbluetrains.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Forum: Hobo's Camp (https://bigbluetrains.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=39)
+--- Thread: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #IX.. Stop In!!! (/showthread.php?tid=9237)

RE: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #IX.. Stop In!!! - ezdays - 02-20-2024

Good morning all, sorry to hear about your car Tom but I think Charlie is right, could be teenagers out of a joy ride, or like in my case, they stripped off the parts they needed and left the carcass in an empty lot downtown. If they do catch them, a slap on the wrist if that.

We hit 80 degrees yesterday, close to that today, then tomorrow a chance of rain and temps in the low 70's.

Just a heads up, this thread is now over three years old, over 300 pages and over 4500 posts. I think very soon I'll lock this one and start a new thread, #10 in the Hobo series.

Have a great day, stay warm, stay safe and stay healthy..

RE: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #IX.. Stop In!!! - sir james - 02-21-2024

Hello Blue.
Cloudy, breezy, 34/55 for the day. Crazy warm for February.
No train news.

RE: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #IX.. Stop In!!! - ezdays - 02-21-2024

Just a quick stop by, temps yesterday = 81, today, = 71 with a good chance of rain. Baseball players are starting to show up for spring training, they're shutting down the main road that runs past the ball fields until after Spring Training is over. I occasionally take that street to avoid the school areas when schools are letting out. A madhouse, kids in the BMW's and high-riders pealing out, while about 100 moms are lined up waiting to pick up their less fortunate kids. Oh yeah, lots of buses too. I will find another route when I leave the Post Office.

Take care and have a great day...

RE: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #IX.. Stop In!!! - FiatFan - 02-21-2024

Greetings, gang.

52 going to 59 with similar temperatures for the next several days.

It's been fairly quiet around here. I have been doing some cleaning in both my shop and the train room. Slowly making progress on both areas. The big news for today is the upgrade to my internet. I'm now on a fiber optic network. I took the lowest available speed and even that is still 33 times faster than what I had before. It's the first upgrade to my internet since about 2000. Should save me over $100 a month.

All stay safe.

Tom

RE: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #IX.. Stop In!!! - tompm - 02-21-2024

Good afternoon folks

It is currently 37 and heading up to a high of 45.

Good news. My daughter and I found my wife’s car. We gathered information from a post on the Ring App from a user whose Kia Sportage was also stolen. In my conversation with the person, I found out that just like in the case of my wife’s car the thieves left the previous car they had stolen. I was able to discover where the car they left was taken from. It was a big apartment complex about 2 miles from our house. After work yesterday my daughter and I drove through the complex and found the car parked on one of the streets. We called the police, and they had the car towed since it was undrivable. The ignition module was missing. Other than some scuff marks on the driver’s door there is no additional visible damage. They did take the EZ-Pass transponder, a cellphone holder and charger. My wife will go over to the police station later today and sign the release form so that the insurance company can tow the car to the repair shop. Her car was one of four cars (we know about) that were stolen overnight Saturday-Sunday.

Later I the evening I added the roof to the Ambassador Hotel. I have the fire escapes, water tank, and roof access shed to add and then it will be complete. The problem is I am out of glue. I ordered some but it is supposed to arrive tomorrow. In the meantime, I will continue with clearing the layout. I put away about a dozen pieces of rolling stock last night.

I hope everybody has a good day.

RE: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #IX.. Stop In!!! - FiatFan - 02-22-2024

Greetings, gang.

The mild weather continues with a high today near 60. A brief shot of cooler weather tomorrow with a high in the mid 40s then back to the upper 50s til the middle of next week.

Well, my internet upgrade has been a success so far. A test page that took up to a minute and a half to load previously now loads in about 2 seconds. Also signed up for YouTube tv which carries everything I want. I'll turn in my cable box and discontinue that service today. Canceled my long distance service yesterday with a 10 minute call. Tried canceling my telephone service yesterday. Very frustrating experience. Waited on hold for 15 minutes. Then tried canceling the service. Sure they have to go through their sales pitch - free for a month, give it to someone else, etc. Declined all that. Then I had to have the pin number off my bill. Actually found that. Then they said I have to wait for two days for everything to work through the system. They killed my old internet sometime overnight but of course they showed no outage in my area. Just overall a very frustrating experience which left a really bad taste. Hopefully one more phone call on Friday and I will be rid of them permanently. /rant

Tom - glad you got your car back. Nice bit of detective work.

All stay safe.

Tom

RE: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #IX.. Stop In!!! - ezdays - 02-22-2024

Good morning good people, Was suppose to rain yesterday, it did a bit in the north end of the valley, not a drop here, but fear not, my weeds are flourishing. They are getting taller and I've not gotten anyone yet to work on them. Temps stayed high because of no rain, and will be in the 80's for a few more days.

Tom, glad you got your car back, sorry that it happened in the first place. Been there, in my case the insurance company totaled it and even paid for the personal items that were gone.

The other Tom, I've changed phone and Internet providers (same folks), and satellite providers and they don't make it easy. And yes, a week after you change, they have fantastic deals for you to come back that they didn't have when you canceled. I don't think any of them really know how to port a phone # though...

So much for now, work on my pinball machine is slowing down, I'm now working on the playing field and there's a lot of mechanical and electrical to deal with. Takes longer to use screws and nuts than to snap two pieces of plywood together.

Ya all stay warm and safe and have one fine day today.

RE: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #IX.. Stop In!!! - Charlie B - 02-22-2024

Good morning

We have 43° and rain all day.  Gas is 3.079 and the media still finds reasons to be around town. 

I worked on the "ACME" box cars last night and put one blue box box car together. This morning I am going to try to print some decals that will be visible on dark cars. The clear decal paper is too transparent for inkjet to show. 

Everything else is fine

Cheers
Charlie

RE: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #IX.. Stop In!!! - sir james - 02-22-2024

Morning Blue
Overcast with a 55 for today. Yesterday it actually went to 63.
Home from a trip to USPS. Mailed our taxes. DIL does not have the app for filing online. We are just happy she did them for us as our tax man had to give it up due to failing eyesight. A couple years ago he had chemo for a cancer on his throat. The chemo affected his eyesight. All the stations I passed had gas @ $3.09.
S.J.

RE: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #IX.. Stop In!!! - LiveSteamer - 02-22-2024

Good Evening Everyone,

Well I have been away for a couple of days as the fiance and daughter have had appointments. Also the fiance has finals this week so I am keeping to kids busy while she is taking those.

I moved from the living room to the kitchen table to work on my projects I have going on and also have track set up on the kitchen table which the fiance has no problem with that as we don't eat at the table lol. The future mother in law stopped by the other day and said to me, oh we moved our trains to the kitchen table now? I said well yes we have but it's temporary until I get the lumber to start building the layout lol. She just smiled and walked away.

Almost all the snow is gone from the rain today and the temps have been in the low to mid 40s. I did hear a cardinal this morning chirping away, so that is a good sign that spring is near but we all know how this goes. Mother nature will not give up without a fight and produce one last snow storm.

RE: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #IX.. Stop In!!! - tompm - 02-23-2024

Good morning folks

It is 37 with some small showers. High is supposed to be 53.

I had to leave work early yesterday to deal with a problem with the storage yard where my wife’s car was. They would not release the car to the insurance company unless my wife brought them the release form in person and told them it is okay to release the car. My insurance company claims the person and the towing company taking the car could not believe it. They both said a fax or email copy is what is usually done to save the person whose car was stolen further aggravation. It took me a half hour to drive home and fifteen minutes to drive to the place. We were in the office literally less than two minutes which was a good thing. Everybody in the place smoked and the place reeked of cheap cigarettes. Since cigarette smoke is one of my wife’s asthma triggers she almost went into a major asthma attack. Luckily, we got out of there before it started but she still required several puffs on her inhalers.

Today I have to call the rental car company and get the rental set up for her. We didn’t want to start the rental until the car was recovered and on its way to the repair shop. The rest of the weekend will involve trips to the grocery store, the produce store, and perhaps Target. If the glue I ordered does not arrive I will need to run to a hobby store. There will be some house cleaning and laundry.

I cannot finish the Ambassador Hotel until I get more glue. I ordered the glue over a week ago and in that time, it has only traveled from Miami to Orlando. Once I get the glue I can add the fire escapes, water tower, and roof access shack. I plan to clear off the layout so I can the Ambassador Hotel to the layout. Also, this will allow me to run some trains and force me to do more organization of the rolling stock.

RE: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #IX.. Stop In!!! - FiatFan - 02-23-2024

Greetings, gang.

Clear for now but clouds are looming on the horizon. 36 now but "only" supposed to get to the upper 40s today, which is still about 10 degrees above normal.

The saga continues. Turned in my cable box yesterday to cancel the service. 5 minutes later I walked out with a receipt for the equipment and a promise of a refund check in a few days. No argument, no sales pitch, just quick and friendly service. Still on the docket for today is another call to the phone company. I also need to contact the new internet provider for a couple of minor issues. It looks like a made the transition to the 21st century just in time.

https://www.cnn.com/2024/02/05/tech/landline-phone-service-phasing-out/index.html

Tom - sounds more like a scam hoping it will take an extra day or two to get the form to them so they can charge extra storage fees. Glad you were able to resolve it quickly. Also maybe someone needs to be informed of a rather shoddy business practice.

Gas was $3.05 when I was out and about yesterday morning. By the time I went out late yesterday afternoon it had dropped to $2.99. Oh, well.

All stay safe.

Tom

RE: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #IX.. Stop In!!! - jim currie - 02-23-2024

(02-21-2024, 11:52 AM)tompm Wrote: Good afternoon folks

Later I the evening I added the roof to the Ambassador Hotel. I have the fire escapes, water tank, and roof access shed to add and then it will be complete. The problem is I am out of glue. I ordered some but it is supposed to arrive tomorrow. In the meantime, I will continue with clearing the layout. I put away about a dozen pieces of rolling stock last night.

Tom go to a auto paint shop/store and get a can of MEK and not the California stuff.
Jim

RE: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #IX.. Stop In!!! - FiatFan - 02-24-2024

Greetings, gang.

Clear and a little cool this morning in the remote reaches of northern Iowa at 23 degrees. Warming quickly though with a high predicted in the mid 50s. More weather changes in store. Monday's high predicted to be near 70 but the by Wed. the high is only supposed to be around 30. The weather is getting to be as bad as the gas prices.

The phone issue resolved itself. When I called back yesterday a different lady told me that once the phone number was ported over the cancellation process automatically started. Why couldn't the lady on Wednesday have told me that? Oh, well. It's over. I spent some time yesterday removing the last traces of my analog communications/entertainment. All the wiring for the cable tv has been removed and I threw away my last wired landline phone. I'm now 100% digital. I guess I've finally moved into the 21st century. I guess I still need to learn how to do the internet on my phone though. Probably not gonna do that for a while. Already too much of a culture shock.

All stay safe.

Tom

RE: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #IX.. Stop In!!! - ezdays - 02-24-2024

Good morning all, regular Saturday sleep-in, but wide awake and ready to go.

Tom, they are digging up our neighborhood for fiber, but I can still stay in the 18th century with my crank phones if I switch over. I'm not giving up my landline, I just don't want to have to carry a cell phone with me wherever I go in the house. I have a phone in every room except the bathrooms, so I'm covered. If I do switch, I can get Internet at lightning-fast speeds, plus port my phone over to cover no charge long distance. I have almost 4,000 minutes on my cell phone, accrued at about 120 every month, so you can see how often I use my cell phone to call anyone. My accrued data is down from what it used to be, ever since I got the camera doorbell, it uses data to transmit the images to the cloud and back. Pat says that I need to switch from cable to fiber, "you need the 2 gig download speed", he says. I answer, "why?". So maybe I'm not quite into the 21st century, but close.

Temps still in the low 80's to the delight of baseball fans. Spring Training games started yesterday.

Take care, have a great and safe weekend.