The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #IX.. Stop In!!! - Printable Version

+- (https://bigbluetrains.com)
+-- Forum: The Depot (https://bigbluetrains.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Forum: Hobo's Camp (https://bigbluetrains.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=39)
+--- Thread: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #IX.. Stop In!!! (/showthread.php?tid=9237)

RE: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #IX.. Stop In!!! - ezdays - 04-07-2021

Good morning, early morning and it's shirt weather out right now, spring has sprung....

Numbers here are on the decline even though all barriers have been lifted. Some businesses and offices still requiring masks, but even then, they have removed all signs that say they are required. We have our first, drive-thru, indoor vaccine distribution center. They are also turning some sporting arenas into walk-in centers, all this because it's getting hot outside.

Got things to do, take care and have a good day..

RE: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #IX.. Stop In!!! - nachoman - 04-07-2021

I have an old Harriman style MDC 2-8-0 that I built from a kit way back in the 1990s. I damaged the small can motor it came with before I even got it running, because I think the wire lead pulled the brass terminal out of the motor, and I damaged it trying to take it apart to fix it. I went to the LHS, bought the largest motor and flywheel that would fit in the boiler, and thought it would be easy to install. Well, it sat to high to line up with the gearing, so at that point I had ideas of making a new gearbox to make the motor sit higher. Years passed as the kit sat incomplete. 10 years or so ago, I decided to get it running by using an open frame motor I had from somewhere else, as this was a drop-in fix. It runs pretty well, but a little noisy. Recently, I took a look at that larger motor I bought years ago and thought about designing and 3-d printing a new gearbox to fit it. Last night I spent a few hours tracking down an extra gear from an assortment I had, then trying to arrange how it all would fit together. As it turns out, the motor WON'T FIT! So, I put it back together with the open frame motor....

RE: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #IX.. Stop In!!! - nachoman - 04-07-2021

An edit to my previous post - I looked at it again and thought about it a different way, and now I think the motor may fit after all. UGGH! For some reason I really want to use this motor I paid good money for many years ago!

RE: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #IX.. Stop In!!! - tompm - 04-08-2021

Good morning folks

It is 44 and heading up to 68.

Got on the computer late the past few days. Took advantage of the last couple of days before the wife had to report to her school and slept late. Once up did some chores around the house. Since the weather was nice, we got all the outdoor furniture out and placed. I put the cover on the gazebo and ran electricity to the gazebo.

Today is the first day the wife is reporting to her school. To say she is nervous is an understatement. They have six new cases this week and have been open only Tuesday and Wednesday. Here is hoping all goes well today and for the next ten weeks.

I did not get anything done on the Engine House. I did play around with some track schemes for the engine facility area. I was proud of myself as I cut a piece of 22-inch radius curve to fit a situation and it worked. I am hampered by the fact I do not have any left-handed #6 turnouts. I ordered three and they are taking the slow train from Oklahoma City. They have been in transit from Oklahoma City to their next destination since the 2nd.

I did have a little luck recently and found a couple of hard-to-find locos I was searching for months. Frist was a Walthers Mainline Undecorated NW-2. This loco will be done as a New York Ontario & Western unit. The second one was a GG-1 in the blue American Railroads scheme. I found one on eBay and had some promo money which made the price right. With out the promo money I might not have gone for it since it was an almost 50-year-old AHM loco. With the price I paid I figured if it did not run, I could still use the shell or make it a static display. It arrived yesterday and to my pleasant surprise when I tested it, it ran beautifully. As a matter of fact, it ran better than some brand-new locos I got from the manufacturer. The only thing I need to do is change the hook and horn couplers.

[Image: da66BtH.jpg]

I have a few chores to do and then make a grocery store run. I am hoping I might have time to visit a hobby shop while I am out.

I hope everybody has a good day.

RE: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #IX.. Stop In!!! - FiatFan - 04-08-2021

Greetings, gang.

Cloudy and 56 head for a little less cloudy and 60. Got a quarter inch of rain overnight.

Not much accomplished yesterday. Gym in the morning, bike ride in the afternoon, and picked up an order from Kohl's. Did some more cleaning upstairs. Still need to vacuum both floors. Also need to wipe up the kitchen and bath floors and get out clean towels for guests. I did finally get about a quarter inch of rain overnight.

My last few hours of freedom are upon me. My daughter and her family (and their 2 dogs) should be here late this afternoon. A few last minute things to do today along with a trip to the gym. In other news I have an appointment for my first shot on next Wed. at 9 AM. Got a tip from a friend. The catch is that I have to drive to the next town to the north (about 25 minutes). Not a huge price to pay. Be glad to get it started.

Had a weird dream abut a girl I used to date in high school. She was (in the dream) a surveyor. Claimed to have worked on the leaning tower of Pisa to stabilize it. Had a phone British accent that kept appearing and disappearing. Very strange. Time to get started on my day.

Tom - nice looking engine.

All stay safe.

Tom

RE: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #IX.. Stop In!!! - ezdays - 04-08-2021

Good morning everyone, yeah, we're running a good 10 degrees above normal for a few more days than dropping into the 80's for a while. Sometimes this means a very hot summer, we had one last year, we need a break. We are still in a drought, nothing substantial in the forecasts, a few 1 to 4%, but they're just hedging their bets.

Got my display case on the wall, now i need to repair the hinges that are loose. My bad, I made the frame out of MDF because it was straight and easy to use a router on. Unfortunately, the hinge screws split the frame and now wiggle around. I've been pecking away at this project for a while, mainly because I have little energy and a lot of pain from my recent surgery. I'm hoping that all this will change next week when I get some help from a different doctor.

I hope you all have a great day................ Icon_e_biggrin

RE: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #IX.. Stop In!!! - Chief Eagles - 04-08-2021

Morning. Slept till 7:30. Power dropped for 3 blocks on S. Main for some reason. PD was at street entering the elementary school a block down S. Main. Spectrum sent text that service would be out until noon. Came back on with power. Power came on at 10:10.

Wifey home working in gardens. Will hear I need this or that.

Tom, must mean someone is in the future. 

All have a good one.

RE: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #IX.. Stop In!!! - FiatFan - 04-09-2021

Greetings, gang.

Cloudy and 48 with some light drizzle in the air. Supposed to get to the mid to upper 50s today.

Daughter and her family (and two dogs) arrived last night around 6. Looks like I'll be busy for the next couple of days. Participation here may be a little spotty.

All stay safe.

Tom

RE: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #IX.. Stop In!!! - ezdays - 04-09-2021

Good morning all, yup, another Friday is here. Time just zips by when you're not even aware of how that happens. Nope

Started to unpack my rolling stock, I'm sorting out the first box, car bodies here, trucks there, wheels, pins, springs and screws in the cup and a few good cars go on the shelf. Yeah, moving around in boxes has taken a toll on things. Probably a good 25% of the cars have some damage. So far, all engines look like they are intact. Worship No matter how careful you think you've been, no matter how well you think you've packed things, I guess you can't continually move, slam, shove and probably drop a box without getting some damage to what's in it. In this case, lots of N scale freight cars. Icon_cry Well, time to set up an assembly line.

Looks like we're still going to be in the 90's for a few more days. A few forecasts still show a 1% chance of rain but that's just pure speculation.

Take care and have a great day.... Icon_e_biggrin

RE: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #IX.. Stop In!!! - tompm - 04-09-2021

Good morning folks

Temperature is 49 at the moment. High will be 61. There is a 40% of showers so I’ll need to keep an eye on the sky and cover the front patio furniture if necessary.

The wife survived her first day back in the school building. Her biggest problem was where they had her located there were no nearby outlets for her computer. She just made it through the day before her battery died. Today she is home as Fridays are all virtual days.

Painted the keystones, capstones, and other bric-a-brac on the Engine House walls. They will need a second coat. Then I will seal them, weather, and seal again. I am at a stand still on the layout more or less due to the undelivered switches.

My trip to the local hobby shop was a waste. Their website said they had code 100 PECO turnouts. They did not. This was the first time I have been in there in over ten years. Place was better organized but still full of junk.

The weekend depends on the weather. I have some outside work that needs to be done. On the modeling front I would like to work on the Engine House and continue working on the yard track layout which is dependent on the overdue switches arriving in the mail.

I hope everybody has a good day.

RE: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #IX.. Stop In!!! - Chief Eagles - 04-09-2021

69 and sunny.  Redhots for breakfast.  Wifey leaving with SisterIL for Wilmington [SIL calls at 7:30 and I was finally getting good sleep with no pain].  

Wiley and Lucy to groomer this AM.  Finn got his cut yesterday.

Planted 2 tomato plants from greenhouse.  3 More later next week.  Also got a hot pepper growing in greenhouse. 

[Image: enhance]

Not much on agenda.

Have a great day.

RE: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #IX.. Stop In!!! - nachoman - 04-09-2021

Designed and ordered a couple of things to be 3d printed from Shapeways yesterday. I'm told there are cheaper options than Shapeways, but I haven't explored them yet. Of course, I will probably get a small resin-type 3d printer in the future, but right now I 1) can't justify the expense 2) have no place to put it 3) don't need another thing/hobby to tinker with. I do have an online friend who is starting his own 3d printing business and is printing some neat stuff in HOn3 and On30, and I may partner with him in the future. The two items I ordered are a generic oil bunker to convert some coil tenders to oil, and a motor/gear mount that I think will allow me to mount that larger motor with flywheel into my MDC 2-8-0. Perhaps I can make that another "challenge" project.

Challenge project #1 is stalled waiting on parts that have been delayed in the mail for two weeks. Challenge #2 needs me to actually get out of the house. Hopefully I will be working from the office again a few days per week soon, because there are a bunch of railroad-related things I can see within walking distance from my office, including an old Soo Line caboose hidden in a salvage yard behind a wall.

RE: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #IX.. Stop In!!! - ezdays - 04-10-2021

Good morning all, ahh, Saturday, no appointments, just a few errands. Temps still in the mid-90's, slowly dropping into the 80's and normal.

Not much else going on, I might be able to start on my challenge, still not felling that well, so things go really slowly until that changes.

Went to a restaurant with friends for dinner yesterday, everything there looked pre-pandemic other than the wait staff were all wearing masks. Very crowded, very noisy, but the food was decent. This seems to be the norm here, and our numbers are still on the decline. Most places have removed their signs requiring masks, but many people still have them on anyway.

Have a great weekend..... Icon_e_biggrin

RE: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #IX.. Stop In!!! - Chief Eagles - 04-10-2021

Morning. 74 and mostly sunny. Chance of a rain shower later. ?? .1" late last night.  Did wash pollen away last night. 

Mom gone so kids had to be fed and etc. Takes up time. Got to feed fish. They are now up and active.

Enjoy your day.

RE: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #IX.. Stop In!!! - nachoman - 04-10-2021

Good morning. Million things to do again today. Will be lucky to get two done.

Spent 45 minutes last night drawing up some things that I will put up on Shapeways. I did that because I was avoiding finishing up an amended tax return from 2019.

Have a good one.