The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #IX.. Stop In!!! - Printable Version

+- (https://bigbluetrains.com)
+-- Forum: The Depot (https://bigbluetrains.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Forum: Hobo's Camp (https://bigbluetrains.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=39)
+--- Thread: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #IX.. Stop In!!! (/showthread.php?tid=9237)

RE: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #IX.. Stop In!!! - FiatFan - 04-21-2021

Greetings, gang.

Cloudy and 29 in the remote reaches of northern Iowa this morning. About an inch of snow fell overnight, should be gone later this morning. 60 for the high tomorrow.

With no trip to the gym yesterday I had time to go looking for the body wash I've used for a couple of decades. Found out it's been discontinued. The search begins for a new favorite. Tried to make some phone calls yesterday afternoon only to find out that all the long distance circuits were down. Someone probably hit a cable while digging. I did manage to call late yesterday afternoon about my son's 401K. Seems there was yet another question and that they had sent me a letter on April 9th. Thanks to our new postmaster that letter never reached me. Anyway, that's sorted out and again they said that should take care of it. That's the third time I've been told that.

Nothing much on the agenda for today. Gym this morning and phone calls and maybe a walk this afternoon. Too cool for a bike ride. I also hit several stores yesterday for a speedometer for the bike. No one has the wired ones. Found one on Amazon. Also ordered some other stuff to get the free shipping. Should be here Sunday.

All stay safe.

Tom

RE: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #IX.. Stop In!!! - tompm - 04-21-2021

Good morning folks

It is 57 going up to 64. We may get some thunderstorms later and then the bottom will fall out. There are Freeze Warnings posted for the counties to our west and north. Right now, we have nothing posted and our expected low tonight is 33. We may play it safe and bring the window boxes in.

Today the painter will be doing the final touches on the master bathroom and hanging the new cabinets.

Today is my son’s birthday. Not much in the way of a celebration tonight as he must present his capstone project for school tonight. His 21st birthday was Easter and his 22nd was at the beginning of the quarantine. He has not had much luck but we will celebrate a little tonight and more later this week.

I worked some on the yard layout. Frustration has sent in and I am not happy with the effort thus far. It looked good until I started thinking about operations and there things went south. I may look at it again later. Perhaps I should just weather the water tower or start the Cinder Conveyor kit.

Need to make some phone calls and schedules some appointments.

I hope everybody has a good day.

RE: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #IX.. Stop In!!! - ezdays - 04-21-2021

Good morning all, slept in a bit late, I'm feeling a bit better each day, I still need rest and getting up at 4:00 everyday is not the best way to do that. I guess I still think I'm in Basic Training. Temps did hit the low 90's yesterday, one place shows that it got up to 106 for a few minutes on Monday, but I question that. 

Got a free day today, need to find someone to deal with my weeds before they start peering over the fence. My yard guy doesn't answer his cell phone, maybe he's no longer doing yard work, who knows, it's just starting to look like a jungle back there, too much for weed spray or even my flamethrower.

I see where there are some winter storms in other parts of the country, so everyone, take care and stay safe especially those of you in the storm areas.

RE: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #IX.. Stop In!!! - Chief Eagles - 04-21-2021

57 degrees and wind howling. Temps dropping fast. Wifey has loaded the greenhouse with her potted plants. Covered those in the ground with pine straw. She put some pots in the Train Box. [set at 69 degrees]. I covered the two tomato plants inside 8 baskets with a big tarp. Had staked with sections of conduit and cable tied [usually done later to keep them from blowing over when tomatoes are tall].  All this is Tom's fault.

Texas Road House and ribeye steaks. Plop Plop Fizz Fizz

Now R&R. 7:15 computer meeting tomorrow AM.

RE: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #IX.. Stop In!!! - BR60103 - 04-21-2021

Woke up to a dusting of snow this morning. There was thicker snow on the magnolias and the cherry blossoms. Combination of weather systems from Colorado and Hudson Bay.
There was an interwebby problem earlier this week. Biggest supplier had a problem with a software update and were put on hold for hours. Ours mostly worked, but the iPad wouldn't provide our favourites and wanted me to change the password (which I'd just done last month). But the laptop worked through it.

RE: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #IX.. Stop In!!! - ezdays - 04-22-2021

Good morning everybody, it got up to 91 yesterday in Phoenix, today is supposed to just reach 81. Temps bounce around from the low 70's to the high 90's for the next week or two. Crazy stuff, I see folks in T-shirts and shorts, and then someone comes along wearing a hoodie...Crazy

Gas is like the weather, all over the map. More stations now at $2.99, but still some $3.05 and $3.09. We have three Fry's markets here, each one with a different price for gas. Doesn't matter, Costco is close and is $2.85.

Yeah David, it's kind of scary when you lose your Internet connection. We seem to be so dependent on it and cell phones to stay contacted to  the rest of the world. There's a ranch retreat here in Arizona, no TV, no phones and no Internet, just peace and quiet and Mother Nature to contend to.

Not much else to talk about, so I think I'll get ready to head out to Brenda's Kitchen for breakfast. Ya all have a great day today. Icon_e_biggrin

RE: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #IX.. Stop In!!! - FiatFan - 04-22-2021

Greetings, gang.

Sunshine outside my window this morning but clouds will be moving in as the day progresses.  On the plus side the temps will be warming to near 60.

I had an ok day yesterday.  Daughter had a knee replaced.  I will be going down to help her as needed.  Maybe a day or two while her husband is at work.  Below is what I have planned for this evening.

Apr 17, 2021

Webster County Conservation will hold a fireside chat from 6 to 8 p.m. Thursday at Camp WaNoKi. The camp is located one mile east of Coalville and one-half mile south on WaNoKi Camp Road.

Bring a comfy campfire chair and relax around a campfire. Get a trail map and head out on the trails in search of SMILE rocks to collect. Get a GPS unit and search the camp and woodlands for geocaches hidden for seekers.

Comfortable shoes for hiking are recommended.

Could be a fun evening.  Off to Menards this morning.  I want to replace some tall grasses on the west side of the house with some bushes that Menards has on sale.  I know the phone line runs through there so I'm waiting for the area to be marked before I dig out the grasses.  When I called yesterday one of the questions was "will you be blasting?"  I burst out laughing at that one!

Frank - just trying to share the joys of living in the Midwest.

All stay safe.

Tom

RE: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #IX.. Stop In!!! - BR60103 - 04-22-2021

I read that the gov't is not extending the income tax deadline this year (they did last year). I went out and bought my tax program -- they no longer send an envelope full of forms. Luckily, the program was not in a section of the store closed off as "non-essential".  Found Model railroader (May) and Trains (January Nope ).

RE: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #IX.. Stop In!!! - FiatFan - 04-23-2021

Greetings, gang.

Cloudy and 48 with a light shower approaching. The high is supposed to be in the upper 50s.

Utility company was out yesterday and marked the gas line (front of the house and nowhere near where I plan to dig). Electric and cable are overhead. Just waiting on the phone company. I want to ask if they know how deep the cable is buried. Not much else planned for today. If the phone company shows early enough I will head to the gym. Otherwise I'll just take a bike ride this afternoon.

All stay safe.

Tom

RE: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #IX.. Stop In!!! - tompm - 04-23-2021

Good morning folks

It is a bright and sunny 42 heading up to 61. A more spring like day than the past few.

Did not make to the forums until very late yesterday. I was feeling the effects of helping the painter rehang the over the sink cabinet, the over the toilet cabinet and the lights for the master bathroom. The over the sink cabinet took us over two hours to do. The majority of the time was spent working on the wall. We had to move the wires for the light fixture. Next was try to find a stud which proved impossible. We found there used to be a recessed cabinet and when the previous owners had it replaced, they used wire mesh and some kind of goop to fill in the hole. It was a mess to get mollies into the wall. Luckily, we found a couple of studs for the top of the cabinet. Good thing my wife made an error and ordered a cabinet taller than the one it replaced. The light and the over the toilet were a piece of cake. My bad shoulder and legs were killing me yesterday and it was a handful of painkillers day.

Later I did look at the Cinder Conveyor and Ash Pit kit. I have a good deal of painting to do with this one.

N&W J 611 is returning to Strasburg RR this summer. I missed it the last time it visited. Not this time. I made reservations for the Wine and Cheese Train to be pulled by 611 over the Memorial Day weekend. This will be the fist time I have ridden behind 611 since the NRHS Convention in Roanoke in 1987.

This weekend we hope to pull the netting off the pond. I still need to get a part for the filter before I can install it.

On the modeling front I have the Cinder Conveyor to build, the water tower to weather, and the outside crane for the Engine House to paint and weather. I could also work on trying to get a satisfactory track plan for the engine facilities yard.

Today I need to run to the grocery store, pharmacy, and PetSmart to pick up an online order.

I hope everybody has a good day.

RE: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #IX.. Stop In!!! - ezdays - 04-23-2021

Good morning all, is today really Friday already? Was talking to my son Pat last night and he was complaining about how quickly time is going for him. I explained the time/continuum thing whereas the older you get, the smaller percentage a day, a week, or even a year is in your life. At my age, I seem to get up on a Monday morning, have my coffee and it's Tuesday, and by the time I'm ready to go to bed, it's Friday night already.... Icon_rolleyes

Still making some progress on my challenge, might have time to start a second one pretty soon, that is if that time/continuum thing doesn't trip me up.. Waiting

Take care and  stay safe. Have a great and stress-free weekend.... Goldth

RE: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #IX.. Stop In!!! - Chief Eagles - 04-23-2021

Morning. 55 and climbing. Not as cold last night as yesterday morning so I hear. Slept till 8:30 and Wifey's friend Gail called. She is doing good after her fall compared to what could have been. [she is a very tall big lady]

Getting ready for PT. Will uncover things when I get home.

RE: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #IX.. Stop In!!! - sir james - 04-23-2021

Hello Blue
60s today.
Just checking in.
Wife did some shopping at Aldi's so I didn't have to take her to the bigger stores.
S.J.

RE: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #IX.. Stop In!!! - FiatFan - 04-24-2021

Greetings, gang.

38 and very dark at the moment. 56 and sunny predicted for later.

Yesterday did not go as planned. Gas company marked their line very promptly. Electric and cable are overhead so no problem digging. According to One Call all lines were supposed to be marked not later than 12:30 yesterday. Phone company never showed up. Logged on to One Call website and they weren't even on the list to be notified. Called the phone company and after several automated menus I got to speak to a real live person. Once I explained the problem the person said "I need to talk to my supervisor." Came back and asked for my ticket number which I promptly provided. Went away, then came back and said they would get someone out. When I asked when they said it would probably be Monday as they don't work weekends. The phone company did say that they would need to talk to One Call also since the phone company was not even on the list to be notified. Oh, well. Looks like that project will be on hold until next week.

Last night I babysat my daughter. She had knee replacement on Wed. and is doing well but struggles to get up sometimes. Otherwise doing very well. She starts physical therapy on Monday. In other news it looks like my perfectly good Weed Eater brand edger is now a pile of junk. I can no longer get replacement blades for it. I've looked at other brands of blades but the center mounting hole is the wrong diameter. Looks like I'll need to spend about $70-$80 to get a new one. I don't like the way a string trimmer does the edging. The previous edger was a gift for my wife (which she never used). I was given the pleasure of using it for her. Oh, well. Time marches on I guess.

I woke up w-a-a-a-y to early this morning. Been up since a little after 4. Need to make a grocery and beer run when the stores open up. Otherwise not a lot planned for today.

All stay safe.

Tom

RE: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #IX.. Stop In!!! - ezdays - 04-24-2021

Good morning all, still a bit of snow in some areas from what I hear,  folks splashing in pools in other areas. I guess our public pools here will be opening soon, just wonder how they're going to insure social distancing, and does everyone have to wear masks?

Speaking of weeds Tom, I need a good weed-eater, the weeds in the backyard are now waist high and beyond, my lawn guy won't answer his phone and I'm looking for someone else. One time I bought a gas-powered weed eater, and all it did was munch, didn't care too much for my style of weeds I guess. I'm looking at a mechanical push-twist-pull thingy, but it might take me all summer to get through them that way. Well, maybe a few calls today might get some help.

Going target shooting on Monday, temps dropping into the low 70's for a few days with a slight chance of rain on Monday, better chance on Tuesday. We're heading out early, like 6:00 thinking we'll beat the heat, but I'm bringing a jacket just in case. Missed a chance to get some .22 ammo yesterday, I knew they were getting some in and I should have been there when they opened, but two hours later they were down to one box and I was almost an hour away. I cannot believe the prices that companies are asking on the Internet, most are ridiculous, but if they have it and you want it, that's the price you pay. 

Take care and stay safe....