The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #IX.. Stop In!!! - Printable Version

+- (https://bigbluetrains.com)
+-- Forum: The Depot (https://bigbluetrains.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Forum: Hobo's Camp (https://bigbluetrains.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=39)
+--- Thread: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #IX.. Stop In!!! (/showthread.php?tid=9237)

RE: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #IX.. Stop In!!! - tompm - 05-17-2021

Good morning folks

It is a very nice 54 and going up to 74.

It was a productive weekend around the house. We got the raised vegetable planter repainted, set up, filled with dirt, and added plants. I painted the radiator cover for the master bathroom. After my wife’s dentist appointment Saturday morning we went and ate breakfast at our favorite breakfast/lunch place. This was the first time since the pandemic started, we ate breakfast out. During the pandemic we did order takeout from the place numerous times. We ate outside and felt like a little bit or normality returning.

With all the house stuff being done very little modeling got done. What did get done was problematic. I tried running a passenger train with my PRR Erie-Built locos and PRR cars. Between the derailments and constant uncoupling, it was the worst running session I had since I started rebuilding the layout. The derailing was traced to a rail not sitting correctly in a rail joiner and a misaligned piece of track. Once those issues were resolved the derailments stopped. After scratching my head for a few moments, I got out the coupler gauge and began checking couplers. All my Bachmann Spectrum PRR passenger cars have been converted to Kadee’s years ago and they were fine. A recently purchased Athearn blue box RPO was good with Kadee’s. The problem cars are all older (10+ years old) Walthers cars. To my surprise they all have either EZ-Mate of McHenry couplers, and none match the coupler gauge. I thought I had changed them out, but I guess once I realized they would not run on the old layout I did not. My new project is tunning these cars up. The other uncoupling problem is the transition to the Water Tower Diorama and I cannot address that until my Trainworld order shows up.

I need to make a run to PetSmart, the pharmacy, the produce store, and grocery store today. And I need to clean the fishpond filter.

I hope everybody has a good day.

RE: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #IX.. Stop In!!! - Chief Eagles - 05-17-2021

61 and cloudy. Guessers says possible rain. Had a little before I got up. slept "fair to middling". [32nd inch cotton. Southern saying you don't hear anymore]

Off to abdominal CT with dye.

Only thing left to plant in garden is cucumbers.

Have a good one.

RE: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #IX.. Stop In!!! - ezdays - 05-17-2021

Good morning all, beautiful day to go out target shooting as planned, but we're not... Nope Nope, friend has a physical issue (again for the umpteenth time), so we stay home and wait for a day when it's so hot we can't pick up our guns. Waiting So instead, I'll stay home an putter around between a woodworking project and working on my new challenge.

Just saw a piece on the news about a new place opening up that has all sorts of state-of-the-art equipment for shared use. CNC routers, 3D printers, laser cutter, screen printers and bunches of big, expensive equipment for metalworking and woodworking. Did not exactly grasp what the premise was, membership, renting time, schooling, not sure, they weren't that specific on how you get to use the stuff. Going to look into it, would be fun to design something and take it there and build it. Big drawback though, it's downtown Phoenix, not a fun place to drive to. Those 3D printers might appeal to Kevin as well. (See next post for more info).

RE: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #IX.. Stop In!!! - ezdays - 05-17-2021

Just did a little sleuthing, found that this unit is owned by the county community college. Membership is $75 a month ($65 for vets and seniors), and no additional cost if you are taking courses at the college. That gives you unlimited use of everything there, extra if you use their materials or attend any of the classes there. Really not a bad deal if you want to make some custom parts or want to learn how to use a 2D printer or a CNC laser cutter.

RE: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #IX.. Stop In!!! - FiatFan - 05-18-2021

Greetings, gang.

Light fog and 59 at the moment. High of 69 predicted. 20% to 70% chances of rain for the next week.

Pretty slow day yesterday. Got what I needed at Walmart. Went to the gym. Called the plumber. And took a two mile walk. Plumber is supposed to be here today sometime. Otherwise maybe a bike ride after he's gone.

All stay safe.

Tom

RE: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #IX.. Stop In!!! - ezdays - 05-18-2021

Good morning Big Blue, yet another day in paradise, temps still just below 90 today. Wish I had some outdoor activity planned, but nope, maybe a trip to Walmart or Home Depot although it's getting more difficult to find anything in building materials that I can afford. I just checked, the price of a 2 x 4 has more than doubled, selling for close to $8.00. 3/4" plywood is over $75 a sheet. Fortunately, my last few projects were made from scraps that were left over from other projects. The news is saying that both companies are showing record profits, I shouldn't have to wonder why.

Got some progress on my challenge II yesterday, may do the same today. Just one appointment to break up the day.

Take care and have a great day..... Icon_e_biggrin

RE: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #IX.. Stop In!!! - sir james - 05-18-2021

Hello Blue
Sun and 79 for today. Hi 80s by the weekend. Gonna have to flip the A/C breaker on soon.
My wife has been working on the gardens, she has her flower plants but we haven't bought the veggies yet.
We use to buy everything at once but then we had to care for the veggies till plant time. Now I let the nursery take care of them till I want them.
S.J.

RE: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #IX.. Stop In!!! - Chief Eagles - 05-18-2021

66 and cloudy. Maybe a slight spit of rain before noon ["unguessed" last night]. Then clearing. No washing house today. Run errands and fill Caddy. We have gas. 

Hope all have a great day.

RE: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #IX.. Stop In!!! - tompm - 05-18-2021

Good morning folks

The weather is very nice with a current temperature of 71 going up to 79.

I cleaned the fishpond filter and set up the outdoor swing. I then headed out to CVS, the produce store, the grocery store, a nursery, and finally PetSmart. By the time I got home and got the groceries and stuff put away I was exhausted, and my feet were killing me. After taking a few pain killers I plopped in a comfy chair until dinner.

No modeling got done yesterday. Perhaps some today.

RE: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #IX.. Stop In!!! - BR60103 - 05-18-2021

Tomorrow is car care day. Oil change + and take off the snow tires.
Temperature should be bearable as I'll have to wait outside (Corvid rules) while they do it. SWMBO vetoed an Ueber ride home.

RE: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #IX.. Stop In!!! - FiatFan - 05-19-2021

Greetings, gang.

Cloudy (still) and 64 outside my window this morning. More off and on rain showers/mist/drizzle expected for today with a high in the low to mid 70s. Got just short of a quarter inch of much needed rain yesterday.

Plumber never showed up yesterday. Not critical yet as I can still take a shower, run the dishwasher, etc. Just need to have it done by the weekend. Also got a bunch of grass seed down to fill some bare spots in the yard. Today will be more waiting for the plumber.

All stay safe.

Tom

RE: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #IX.. Stop In!!! - ezdays - 05-19-2021

Good morning all, got to the mid-90's yesterday, high 90's for a few days, then back into the 80's. Might try to find someone to go shooting with on Friday. I don't think it's prudent to go target shooting alone, although I have done it when I was a bit more steady on my feet. We're all getting older, a year or so ago there was four of us, one friend that had back issues fell and it took three of us to get him back up.

Tom, we have one plumbing service that touts "same day service". They used to have, "we're on time or the service call is free" on their trucks, but have backed off for, "the most punctual plumbers". I doubt that you're in their service area though. Nope Icon_lol

Gas seems to have dropped around ten cents, most stations are at $3.09. One station was at $3.19, dropped to $2.99 for one day, now back up to $3.05. Brand names as much as $3.39.

Just about finished with my challenge kit, find out that it won't fit where I was going to put it, so need to work on that issue today.

Great-grandson due any day now, everyone waiting for "the call".

Have a great day and stay safe.

RE: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #IX.. Stop In!!! - Chief Eagles - 05-19-2021

74 and sunny. Not much to do this AM. Full chest CT at 3 [want me to arrive at 2???].

Ham and cheese sandwich for breakfast. Nothing else by mouth except water.

Have a good one.

RE: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #IX.. Stop In!!! - tompm - 05-19-2021

Good morning folks

It is a nice 79 heading up to 86. Soon we will be complaining about the heat.

Getting here later than normal for a weekday. I decided to hit the chores right after the wife left for work. I hoping this gives me a bit more free time in the afternoon.

I fiddle with trying to fix a loose coupler box on a Bachmann Spectrum PRR Diner. Did not get far as the truck bolster is stripped. The coupler box is connected to the truck via a lever that way the coupler box can move in unison with the truck. Because of the stripped screw hole, I cannot tighten the lever down thus the box bounces. A few solutions have been suggested and I will try one to see if it works.

I am going to head out and check the fishpond. I know the filter is clogged but it is still running so I can let go until tomorrow or Friday.

I hope to fiddle with couplers at some point today.

RE: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #IX.. Stop In!!! - Charlie B - 05-19-2021

Hello friends. 
I have been missing for the most part because of many things needing done around the house.  
We put a new metal roof on last month. By We, I mean My son, brother in law, wife,  and one of my sons friends. I had all the metal precut so the job only took 2 work days (between rains.) I am very pleased with the new look, and it will last my lifetime for sure.     

The next project was a raised garden. I love the fresh veggies but my back will not handle bending, and titanium knees don't feel good kneeling. I saw a raised garden made from plastic barrels so I made one using 4 of them. I finished planting last night.       

Today we are building a four foot fence along one side of the porch. It will provide a little wind break when we are out. We have a lot of wind here except when you want a cool breeze. 

So I have also been waiting for decals to finish the locomotives I painted and they arrived yesterday. Hopefully my back will ease enogpugh for me to get with the program. 
Cheers
Charlie