The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #IX.. Stop In!!! - Printable Version

+- (https://bigbluetrains.com)
+-- Forum: The Depot (https://bigbluetrains.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Forum: Hobo's Camp (https://bigbluetrains.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=39)
+--- Thread: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #IX.. Stop In!!! (/showthread.php?tid=9237)

RE: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #IX.. Stop In!!! - Charlie B - 06-26-2021

Good morning. 
       It is a beautiful day in southeast Ohio, great day to work on the gutters for the train building (full scale) 

The garden is looking great with peppers coming on and the tomato's blossoming. Onions are ready to pull and cucumbers doing well.     

I have been using my digital camera for over 8 years now and I really like it. It is a Fuji point and shoot with more settings than I will ever know how to use and it takes incredible video too. It uses double a batteries which is another plus for me because if I do need batteries I can go anywhere, though I use rechargeables. The feature I like most is the 30x twist barrel zoom. Anyhow, I was getting worried it was near end of life so looking for another I got lucky and there were 2 for sale on ebay. One was over $500 but the second one the asking price was $135 plus shipping and tax and the claim was very little use. I got it yesterday and it is in like new condition and it works like a new one so now I have 2 so maybe they will keep going strong. 

I'm keeping the Chief in my prayers, and I hope Arizona gets some much needed rain to help fight the fires. 

I have been following the water level in Lake Mead for the last 10 years and if they don't curtail the use of the water it may affect the structure of the dam. It is not good for a dam to have its concrete exposed all the time. It has also seriously cut the head so I doubt they are able to generate power but if so it would take a considerable amount more water to generate the same wattage. (in case anyone is interested the formula is h(head in feet) x CFS (cubic foot of water per second) x 62.5 (weight of a cubic foot of water) / 550 = horsepower and multiply that by .746 and you get the kilowatts.  The plant I operated for 12 years only had 18 foot of head and we were only able to generate 1.2 megawatts under the best conditions. I learned a lot about the problems with hydro power and the problems with engineers designing a plant without using more knowledge than can be found in books. (I know how to dry wet generators).  Icon_rolleyes

Good day to all
        Charlie

RE: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #IX.. Stop In!!! - Chief Eagles - 06-26-2021

No chemo until July 8. Had lost 28 lbs. since going to hospital. Got to get weigh back on. Also, new meds to sleep and get apatite back.

Doing a lot better today. Eating better.
Back in office paying bills.
Cutting back on supplemental O2. That is going well.
Grow garden grow.  Great photos. 
Have a good one.

RE: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #IX.. Stop In!!! - tompm - 06-26-2021

Good afternoon folks

It is 83 which is apparently our high. Had a couple of showers today. The first one was before I woke up and soaked the front patio furniture. I got to dry in the sun but then another unpredicted storm came up and really soaked things. I just dried everything off and got the covers on the furniture as another shower is approaching.

Wife and went to Home Depot. She was looking for some plants to put into some hanging pots since the pansies are no more. We didn’t find any. She picked up some paint cards for the hall bathroom.

My son is one of the organizers for our township’s first Pride Festival which is tomorrow. He is probably the main organizer as he has been handling all the permits, public relations, and other logistics. My son and several others are out rounding up tables and chairs. I am currently on standby as a U-Haul driver if needed.

I am not sure if any modeling is going to happen this weekend.

I hope everybody has a good day.

RE: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #IX.. Stop In!!! - BR60103 - 06-26-2021

We had a "fun" morning. Last night the cat was up in the window over St Mary Ax station, which is unusual. Later I heard what I thought was raindrops, but when I looked there was a little furry creature there, in the window well, with a white stripe on his back. Since it was midnight, I left it.
When I got up this morning, I checked and it was still there. Discussion with SWMBO. I called a pest control, but they were fully booked for the weekend. Another one said they might be able to come, but I should put a lattice down that he could climb out. We put out a frame with a rug on it. SWMBO called Humane Society.
Little fellow seemed to want to get between the screen and the glass. (There's holes in the screen.) He didn't mind my tapping the glass; we think he may have seen his reflection. I added a 1x4 to the escape kit.
Humane society came. I talked to the agent and he said that the fellow had been partway up the board, but was now well out and on his way. (They are not allowed to reocate them.) There was a bit of a pong* back there and I think it followed me into the house.
We are going to buy window well covers tomorrow as we have finished the 2-week period after Jab2.

* Pong is technical term for what the chemistry class before yours leaves in the lab.

RE: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #IX.. Stop In!!! - ezdays - 06-27-2021

Good morning all, one more day of 110+, then we start dropping, maybe even below 100 for a few days. Decent chance of rain as well.

While David was dealing with Pepe La Pew, I was wondering why a young, teenage sized duck didn't want to leave my patio. I could hear other ducks calling out, it would walk away, then come back when I left, but I couldn't get it to fly away. I'm guessing it might have been injured, definitely, confused. It left its share of Po--* all over the patio. I will call the SPCA if it's still there.

*Kinda like the stuff David was talking about....

Did get to work a bit on my new building. I keep forgetting to take progress photos, but then again, we've all built kits, so nothing unusual to take a photo of.

Take care, and have a great week.... Icon_e_biggrin

RE: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #IX.. Stop In!!! - sir james - 06-27-2021

Hello Blue
Sun, wind and 85 for today.
Last few days have been very humid, I finally had to take a shower. Icon_e_smile
Nothing new to brag about. The next door neighbor is having an outdoor party later this PM but the wind is breezy and they are having some problems keeping everything in place. I figure whatever lands in my yard I can keep, right?
S.J.

RE: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #IX.. Stop In!!! - Chief Eagles - 06-27-2021

87 and sunny. SonIL mowed my grass. Loves my new JD. He has one like my old one. Said big improvement in steering and etc.

Back at PC. Paying more bills Wifey found.

Have a good one.

RE: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #IX.. Stop In!!! - Charlie B - 06-27-2021

Good evening.
        My daughter rode along with me to Menards today. It is 40 miles one way to our nearest Menards and I had a large rebate to spend on nothing I really needed but could not just let it go.  They have quite a racket going with these rebates that can only be redeemed by going to the store. It would be nice if they could be used on line, like the merchandise I bought to earn this rebate. Sadly I found out too late that I could have saved over 300 dollars by buying at another 
family run dealer 20 miles closer. Oh well, live and learn.  I really wasn't impressed with the store or their help but I did manage to find what I could use and then filled the cart with candy for the grandkids when they visit (yea, Icon_e_biggrin sure).
        When we got home the ground fault outlet to my wife's outdoor fountain had decided it was not going to reset so I took a nap and replaced it. (I had one ready to install in my equipment shed so no trip to buy one,) I do believe I will keep a spare on hand because I have them on a lot of circuits. 
         I was enjoying pictures of Bruce's and Deano's static grass and I found a couple youtube videos https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qy6pyI-DvfU describing how to make your own which will save a considerable amount of money, and I do enjoy making everything I can. (Cheap chuck part deux). 
I may have the headlamp attached to the K4 smoke box cover and if it is I can paint it and install it. Then installing the decoder will be easy. 
Some rain in the forecast for the next couple days so I am to the point I can just enjoy the time off and work in the train room. 
          Chief, get that weight back up. When I started radiation I was eating so much I was gaining weight. I told my oncologist I was going to diet and lose weight and he warned me that the treatments would have to stop if I did lose weight so instead I just kept eating. Now I need to lose 34 pounds to get to where I was when I wanted to lose weight. I noticed the 2.5 minutes I was being bombed with the radiation seemed like hours. It's been over 7 years and I am doing fine. Keep on laughing. You can beat this thing. 
Charlie

RE: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #IX.. Stop In!!! - ezdays - 06-28-2021

Good morning good people, temps starting to come down, today will be under 110, tomorrow even closer to 100. Good chance of rain through the week, something about a hurricane coming up the Mexican peninsula. We need a break, I've mentioned before that the cold water felt hot. Yesterday, I couldn't tell the difference between the hot and cold, so I measured it again, hot=120, cold=110. Would have to go out of town if I wanted to take even a warm shower.

The duck in my backyard is gone. I wasn't sure it would make it through the night, but the only traces that I see is what it deposited on my patio. I have no clue why it wouldn't fly away when I chased it.

Making progress on my hospital building for my layout. Using a Walther's three-story apartment kit with a few changes. A small hospital, but then again, so is my layout.

Glad to see that you're moving around Frank, the power of prayer.

Take care everyone and have a great and safe week.

RE: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #IX.. Stop In!!! - FiatFan - 06-28-2021

Greetings, gang.

Partly cloudy and 68 headed for the low 80s. Final rain total from the weekend was about 2.7 inches. Only slight chances for rain in the upcoming week.

Pretty quiet weekend for me. Very boring F1 race yesterday. Still trying to figure out the Xbox on the new tv. This morning I need to pay a couple of bills. Otherwise a trip to the gym and a bike ride are the only items on my to-do list.

Continuing prayers for Frank.

All stay safe.

Tom

RE: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #IX.. Stop In!!! - tompm - 06-28-2021

Good afternoon folks

It is 88 and the heat is on going up to 90 with no rain in sight for a couple of days. Officially this is our second heat wave of the year.

Been up for a while just getting to the computer. I have done most of the daily chores. I still have laundry to take care of.

The first ever Upper Darby Pride Festival my son helped organize was a huge success. By the end of the day, he had vendors and visitors asking about next year. He had many politicians show up including the mayor, township council members, school board members, state representative, and US Congresswoman. He was exhausted and not surprisingly considering he was out in the sun for 12 hours and according to his fitbit he walked 20 miles. I drove one of the U-Hauls and helped with loading and unloading.

Needless to say, no modeling got done.

I did have a scare yesterday. I was trimming our weeping cherry tree when the ladder suddenly sunk on one end. If I would have ridden it down, I would have been flung into several bushes and rocks. I pushed off the ladder and remembering my training from Boy Scouts and various sports, I landed and rolled ending up on my feet in a crouching position. I have a slight bruise on one arm and other than being sore for a time no other injury. Upon inspecting the stone, I had placed the ladder leg on had been undermined by some tunneling critter. Luckily, I was only on the second step when all this happened.

Today I hope to change out some couplers and maybe run some trains.

I hope everybody has a good day.

RE: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #IX.. Stop In!!! - BR60103 - 06-28-2021

We bought one widow well cover (all they had) and ordered 3 more.
The cover wuldn't quite fit -- I think it should go on a different formation -- and Dayle deemed it too fragile, so we took it back.
I think I will try to get someplastic lattice and leave some in each well.

Not much modelling done. Outside temp registered at 34 celsius in the evening.

RE: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #IX.. Stop In!!! - ezdays - 06-29-2021

Good morning kind folks, no rain yesterday, let's hope that those guessers are more on target today. The MS app says 2% chance, the weather lady on TV says 50%, who should we believe, her or Bill Gates? In the end, they will both be right regardless whether it rains or not. Waiting

Got some work to do today, my modem hiccuped yesterday, and now that I have that working, my router refused to run. If I have to replace it, I'll spend hours reprogramming all my Alexa devices, TV's, satellite DVR's, laptop and anything else connected to my WI-fi. Have we all become too Internet dependent? I had to actually manually switch on the lights when I got up this morning. Eek Icon_rolleyes Icon_cry The other thing is that it is still in warranty, but is it really worth the hassle and downtime to get it replaced by the manufacturer? I can't return it, Fry's Electronics shut down a few months ago. 

Take care and enjoy the day.

RE: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #IX.. Stop In!!! - FiatFan - 06-29-2021

Greetings, gang.

Very humid, some light fog, and 68 degrees greeted me when I rolled out of bed this morning. The high for today is supposed to be in the mid 80s and still very humid. One of those days when taking a deep breath will cause one to break out in a sweat.

Lots of things to do today. Tires rotated, post office, Menards, and grocery store. Gas price goofy again. Jumped to $2.99 the other day, now down to $2.80 as of last night. Another ball game this evening. After I went to bed last night I though about getting back up to close the windows in case of rain. Decided it wasn't going to rain. Two minutes later it was just pouring. Got another quarter inch. Only a 20% chance this evening and after that it should be dry. I do hope the humidity goes down a little. I did finally get my Xbox to show up on the new tv but as soon a I start the game it crashes again. More internet searching to follow.

Don - you must be exhausted having to actually flip a light switch. I do hope you took a nap to recover.

All stay safe.

Tom

RE: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #IX.. Stop In!!! - Chief Eagles - 06-29-2021

Slept good. Now got to work on rebuilding lungs. Blood ox is better. Got to gain weight. Eating good again.

Have a good one.