The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #IX.. Stop In!!! - Printable Version

+- (https://bigbluetrains.com)
+-- Forum: The Depot (https://bigbluetrains.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Forum: Hobo's Camp (https://bigbluetrains.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=39)
+--- Thread: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #IX.. Stop In!!! (/showthread.php?tid=9237)

RE: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #IX.. Stop In!!! - tompm - 07-13-2021

Good afternoon folks

It is 85 which is currently the high temperature. The big heavy storms missed us yesterday. We got some rain and a few flashes of lightening. Eastern Bucks County and North East Philadelphia got clobbered with 8 to 10 inches of rain. Many roads were closed, and water rescues were everywhere. They are calling it a 100-year storm. We could have more storms tonight, hopefully not like yesterday.

Slept in a little today. After we ate brunch the wife and I headed out. We hit PetSmart, the produce store, and the drive thru dairy place.

I was going to change couplers on the cars I used for my recent Lehigh & Hudson River run by. For the time being I am leaving any Atlas models with the AccuMate I am leaving alone. My goal is to get rid of as many plastic EZ-Mate and McHenry couplers as I can. As it would turn out the first four cars, I pulled off the train did not need new couplers. The LHR caboose was an Atlas with an AccuMate coupler so other than checking it against the coupler gauge I left it alone. The other three, two Athearn RTR and a Bachmann Silver Series all had Kadee’s that I changed out when I weathered them. They also had metal wheels. On the two Athearn cars I modified the coupler pocket to add a screw to hold the coupler clip in place. I hope to continue with the rest of the train tonight.

I hope everybody has a good evening.

RE: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #IX.. Stop In!!! - BR60103 - 07-13-2021

Well, I finally had a train shop visit today! There was a break in the thunderstorm predictions so we drove down to Dundas.
I couldn't get the generator models I'd hoped for (no entry in catalog, either) but I found Trackside guide and 2 calendars (for next year) and a couple of packets of couplers. No copies of Model RR Planning left.

And we went to have commercial hamburgers for lunch; the young lady with the red hair sent us coupons.

RE: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #IX.. Stop In!!! - ezdays - 07-14-2021

Good morning, good morning, I hear thunder, I see lightning as we speak. What I don't see is rain. Really don't know where it is, but it ain't raining here.... Nope Nope I hope it at least raining up north, still fighting wildfires, this has been by far the worse year, not only here, but in the entire Southwest. 

Not much else going on this way. Watching to local news, pick any channel, and most of the broadcast is taken up with the Phoenix Suns being in the playoffs. Gets pretty low when they start interviewing the interviewers. And they still have a couple more games to go.

Another free day today, might get a few chores done, maybe work on my Gold Rush building.

That thunder and lightning is getting a bit scary, right now I see a light rain outside but it has to be really dumping somewhere else. Temps will be lower, plants and cacti will be refreshed and maybe there's enough to clean the dust off the truck. We'll take what we can get.

RE: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #IX.. Stop In!!! - FiatFan - 07-14-2021

Greetings, gang.

Thunder in the distance as the day begins. 69 right now headed for the low 80s. A round of light rain is expected this morning but nastier weather is being prognosticated for this evening. Could have a couple of inches of rain by the time it's all over.

Nothing major planned for today other than watch it rain. The police log for then other day has not been posted yet and I haven't looked at the paper so still in the dark as to what transpired at 2 AM. Gas price performing it's usual goofiness. $2.82 on Monday. Jumped to $2.99 yesterday.

All stay safe.

Tom

RE: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #IX.. Stop In!!! - Chief Eagles - 07-14-2021

80 degrees with heat index around 100. Slept good last night. Back to the can't hardly stay awake morning. Drinking lots of sweet ice tea with lemon.

Watching some TV. Dr. phone conference at 11:00. Not satisfied with lung advancement. Coughing up yucky stuff a lot.

Hope all have a great day ahead.

RE: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #IX.. Stop In!!! - tompm - 07-14-2021

Good afternoon folks

It is 87 heading up to 88 and still under a Heat Advisory until this evening. Again there is a chance of thunderstorms. We had nothing but a slight drizzle yesterday. If we don't get some rain today I will have to water the gardens tonight.

I am done the house chores for the day. Trying to figure out if we need to run some errands or not.

I continued to work on adding screws to the Athearn coupler pockets to hold the clips. Hit a snag last night. The 50 foot flat car I was working has some problems. The part of the frame with the coupler pocket almost broke off. I had to glue it back together. The car has older metal spring trucks that don't look so good and plastic wheels. I need to change both. I have the wheels but not the trucks. I found a guy on eBay who sells blue box kit parts and order several pair off of him. I will continue working on the other cars in the train.

I hope everybody has a good day.

RE: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #IX.. Stop In!!! - ezdays - 07-15-2021

Good morning everyone, about the rain yesterday, we could say, "boy did it rain yesterday", or we could say, "boy, did it rain yesterday?" The first way applies to most of the valley, they got up to 1.25" in about an hour. Us here in the Surprise-Sun Cities area, we got a whopping .04", barely enough to measure. Maybe today or sometime next week, but one of these days it will actually rain here.

Newscasts and newspapers are still all about the Phoenix Suns in the playoffs, they even have a site picked for the winner's party. I hope they invite the other team 'cause things aren't going their way right now.... Nope

Got physical therapy early today, might stop by Walmart on the way home then maybe finish off detailing my Gold Rush model and planting it on my layout. Nothing else on my schedule, so why not...

Take care, have a fun and safe day.

RE: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #IX.. Stop In!!! - Charlie B - 07-15-2021

Good morning friends. 
         It is a beautiful morning here with the temperature in the 70s. Possible rain later in the day. 

On the agenda this morning are a couple jobs. First putting inner tubes in one of my lawn tractor rear tires. They have lots of tread but slow leaks due to age. I am hoping I can make them outlast the mower which I have now had for 7 years, bought used for 200 bucks and it still mows like a champ. 

I am going later today to look at an older Toyota motor home that is for sale locally. I have a camping trailer that we have only used once because my wife doesn't want to go camping any more so I will sell it and I am just looking for a little more mobility for myself, basically I need a potty on wheels.

I just worked a short time on the K4s last night. I glued the headlight wiring into the boiler top and the DCC harness plug to the tender. I have found that it is best to just take the time and let the glue set before proceeding.  I should have it done by the end of the week end and then I will finish the Q2. 

Prayers for everyone and I m keeping Frank in my thoughts. 

I am looking forward to seeing Don's little project completed and then a review of the product. I hope more rain falls on the west. It is badly needed. 
Charlie

RE: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #IX.. Stop In!!! - Chief Eagles - 07-15-2021

77 and sunny. Woke up at 6:15 AM from a dream I was healed. Then felt the best I had since starting treatments. Out the door to hospital for chest x-ray. blood work and injections. Full day.

Have a good one.

RE: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #IX.. Stop In!!! - tompm - 07-15-2021

Good morning folks

It is 82 going up to 89. No Heat Advisory but we have an Air Quality Alert. No rain in the forecast for today or tomorrow.

Yesterday turned into a lazy day around the house. Did a few odds and ends, nothing special. Today I need to run to the grocery store and pharmacy. I also need to clean the pond filter. When I do will depend on the heat.

I finished checking the last of the cars I used in the LHR train. Most had Kadee couplers installed previously. I had four Athearn cars I added screws to the coupler clips. There were five cars that needed metal wheels added. My plans are as I run stuff I am going to check it and finally bring them up to standards, aka Kadee couplers, metal wheels, secure coupler covers/clips, and weight.

Maybe today I will fiddle with the layout some.

I hope everybody has a good day.

RE: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #IX.. Stop In!!! - FiatFan - 07-15-2021

Greetings, gang.

Hazy and 70 this morning with a predicted high near 80. All the storms predicted last night went to the south of me. Rain gauge had a quarter inch of rain. Counties to the west and east of me both had tornadoes..

Got a call from my daughter who works here in town. Said she was the only one in the store and couldn't leave for lunch. I played dad dash (kind of like door dash only cheaper) and took her some food. Then my other daughter called later from South Dakota and wanted me to do a dad dash with some of her favorite Mexican food from a local restaurant here in town. She always has to go there whenever she comes home. I may have found out what the excitement was the other night. In the police log there was a report of a burglary in progress less than two blocks form my house just before the yelling and the flashing police lights woke me up. Pure speculation but the facts fit.

Not much on my agenda for today. I've already been to Walmart and the grocery store. Next up will be a bike ride followed by ???

Continuing prayers for Frank and others as needed.

All stay safe.

Tom

RE: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #IX.. Stop In!!! - ngauger - 07-16-2021

Chief... a lot of medicines make you sleepy. I'm taking a few too... It stinks!!!
Hope you feel better soon!!

Another hot day in our heat wave. Cooling off tomorrow with showers.

Van A/C decided to break in the middle of the heat wave... it's in the shop now.

RE: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #IX.. Stop In!!! - FiatFan - 07-16-2021

Greetings, gang.

The sky is a sickly orange this morning. No clouds, just smoke from Canada again. Currently 60 degrees headed for 81.

Walmart run yesterday morning was successful. After that I completed my first full ride of the season -19.975 miles. Actually didn't feel too bad afterwards. After lunch I went to visit some friends for the afternoon. After supper I started a fire in the pit and sat on the patio and read. Swimming at the gym this morning. Otherwise nothing planned for today.

All stay safe.

Tom

RE: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #IX.. Stop In!!! - ezdays - 07-16-2021

Good morning good people, rise and shine, the end of yet another workweek. We had a rain storm rumble through here yesterday morning, got a whopping 1/8", better than 0", so we'll take what we get. The evening news was all about torrential rains and flooding. I don't see that on the rain map, the extreme southwest area got up to 1/4", not enough to flood. Flagstaff, that's different, they showed a video of a car floating down the street there. One thing they do on the TV news is to show shots that are years old, but don't say that, or talk about 1 1/2" of rain, but don't say when or where.

Weather forecast for today: who knows, go ask those TV soothsayers.......

I think today is clear to do as I wish. I really wish to go out of town, just not sure where to go. My son Pat and his family is headed to San Diego for a week. They call us, "Zonies" there, I guess because that's a good place for us Arizonians to go cool off for a while. We pay the price when we do but it's worth it with highs in the mid-70's and living like a beach bum for a while. Great place to visit, but wouldn't want to live there, that's why we're Zonies...

RE: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #IX.. Stop In!!! - Chief Eagles - 07-16-2021

81 and sunny hot.

Errand to run with Wifey driving.

Daughter coming around 1 to babysit. Got retired director of Human Services coming round 2. She is riding with the Wake County Extension Director.

Feel so so.

That is it for today.