The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #IX.. Stop In!!! - Printable Version

+- (https://bigbluetrains.com)
+-- Forum: The Depot (https://bigbluetrains.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Forum: Hobo's Camp (https://bigbluetrains.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=39)
+--- Thread: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #IX.. Stop In!!! (/showthread.php?tid=9237)

RE: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #IX.. Stop In!!! - tompm - 08-05-2021

Good evening folks

This has been a crazy week and I have not had much time to sit down at the computer. The testing has continued with my wife. Last night she had a sleep study. I went with her since she is diabetic just in case there were any blood sugar issues which there was with a low blood sugar at one point. Not sure how much data they collected as she barely slept the entire night. I got no sleep as they had me using some kind of reclining chair contraption that was closer to a medieval torture device. They let us go around 5:30 am saying they got six hours worth of data. We came home and crashed for a couple of hours. We got up did a few things and both fell asleep this afternoon.

She had been doing the testing so she can get surgery to remove a precancerous condition. The surgery has been postponed twice due to completing all these various tests. The issues she is having with the cardiologist's office staff is a tale unto itself and not a good one. The surgery is now scheduled for the first week of September which means she has to go through another round of preadmission testing.

If all goes well tomorrow we are leaving on short family vacation to Virginia Beach. This vacation has been rescheduled three times. Originally we were going to go to Florida. First we changed it because of Hurricane Elsa and then we decided not to go to Florida due to the covid situation there.

I did manage to open and look at my possible next structure kit. I am thinking of building the Walters Passenger Platforms.

I hope everybody has a good evening.

RE: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #IX.. Stop In!!! - BR60103 - 08-05-2021

The fellows showed up with their truck. They decided that I don't have a flat tire; they tried to pull the unit out and their chain parted. They felt the battery was low and went for another one. I returned a bit later and the new battery hadn't done anything (I suspect a wire to the starter but...). They ha quit trying to pull with their truck as it was chrning up the grass. The fellow we rent from brought a tractor and pulle the unit out. I decided to leave at that point -- I wasn't contributing anything and I didn't want to watch. I'm not sure what they had planned for the next 12 km.

Does anyone know if you can buy a voltmeter that plugs into a cigarette lighter?

RE: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #IX.. Stop In!!! - Charlie B - 08-05-2021

Hi everyone, I have been busy with our motor home so lacking in posting here. 
David, I don't know what it would cost to have this shipped to Canada if anything but 2.94 isn't bad for a cigarette lighter voltmeter. 
https://tinyurl.com/2rv6ysm6
I don't know what power train is in your motor home but as a former Ford parts man and mechanic we had the wire right at the started would work lose and all you got was a click. battery and lights will be OK.  A battery should read 12.6 volts without the engine running and running should show between 14 and 15 volts. over 15 is over charging. Under 14 won't maintain the battery. 

I found out how valuable you folks are on this forum. I had a question on this motor home I bought and the folks on the motor home forums couldn't answer my question. Had i asked a modeling question here I would have got an answer. As it was I was removing the front cab over window and I took one screw out to make sure I had the right replacements. They used of all things, a #7 x 16 metal screw so I started searching and nothing was available. I had done some of these windows before and they were screwed into the interior window frame which made a huge clamp out of the window and I figured I probably had the same thing. 
I decided to remove all the screws and remove the window and see how many screws were reusable. As it worked out there were only 3 of 30 that were not useable so I proceeded to remove the window. The window screws were driven into wood so all the worry was for nothing. Had someone just told me that I would have saved a lot of time and I will replace them all with # 8 screws to make sure they tighten well. The frame is good, no rot so all I had to do was clean the caulking off and reset the glass in the aluminum frame. I am redoing the ceiling and repairing 2 small places that were water damaged. It has been a fun project so far and my wife and daughter are really getting into it. 

Prayers for everyone. Back to the trains soon. 

Charlie

RE: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #IX.. Stop In!!! - FiatFan - 08-06-2021

Greetings, gang.

Cloudy and humid this morning in the remote reaches of northern Iowa. Had a noisy but very brief shower move through sometime during the night. I'd be generous if I said we got a tenth of an inch of rain. High for today is supposed to be around 80 again.

Last day of babysitting. Only 2 here at the moment. Third one will be here around 9:30. I brought an extra tablet along just in case there are some differences of opinion.

All stay safe.

Tom

RE: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #IX.. Stop In!!! - ezdays - 08-06-2021

Good morning everyone. I'm hungry, that's what happens when you have a "fasting" medical test. Fortunately, it's early enough that I won't waste away from lack of food. Misngth

Charlie, that is absolutely unbelievable, a plug-in voltmeter with digital display and USB charging port for under $3.00. I found adapter cables that cost way more than that. Nice find. Sounds like you're having fun with your RV. I did some renovations to a RV while living in it for a few months way long ago, it was fun and productive and kept me out of trouble. Now, at my age, I can't get in trouble if I wanted to... Nope

I get notified almost daily about local auctions. I'm looking for some tools and ammo and always get outbid. There's one just a few miles from me that had a whole lot of HO cars and engines up for auction a few weeks ago. This week, they have a bunch of S gauge. Not sure that I know anyone that models S, but it's there if anyone wants to bid on it.

Prayers for everyone in need. Take care and have a great day.

RE: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #IX.. Stop In!!! - sir james - 08-06-2021

Hello Blue
Sun and 80s today.
Tom I had a sleep test once, total waste of time for me. Nothing changed.
We did some grocery shopping yesterday but not much else.
Growing season starts late here but the garden is finally giving up some veggies.
Real BLTs are my favorite fresh veggie food.
S.J.

RE: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #IX.. Stop In!!! - BR60103 - 08-06-2021

Thanks for the link, Charlie.

Sir James BLT Branch Line Terminal?

Had a call from the garage -- the rig is there and they'll get it inside late this afternoon.

RE: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #IX.. Stop In!!! - ezdays - 08-07-2021

Well, good Saturday morning to ya all. Got an extra hour sleep in, that's good. Most folks my age take naps during the day, it's a rare occasion when I do that.

Moving along very slowly on my layout extension, next week temps will be down in the low 100's with a decent chance of rain. I'm still amazed that no two forecasts are alike, but at least they all show a similar trend. Maybe if they're right, I'll be able to finish it up in the garage. No rush, I'm still working on the hill to support the town water tower.

I did order some .22LR ammo at a great price, my concern is that they no longer show it as in stock, and my order hasn't been shipped yet. No biggie, we've decided that it's still too hot to even think about going target shooting. I was watching an old "Columbo" the other day, the guy was shot with a .22, the murderer used a .45 with a "converter tube" slipped in the barrel. The fallacy there is that it couldn't possibly work that way, a .22 is a rim fire, while a .45 is a center fire. Regardless, many of those shows from back then are being rerun and they're fun to watch even now when you can pick out a lot of dumb things they got away with back then.

RE: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #IX.. Stop In!!! - FiatFan - 08-07-2021

Greetings, gang.

Cloudy and very humid this morning. 75 now headed for 88 this afternoon and there's a 70% chance of rain and/or strong storms late this afternoon and evening.

Yesterday went well with the great-grandkids. I didn't have to get my secret weapon (a spare tablet) out until almost 3 o'clock. This morning I've already been for a bike ride and next up will be breakfast followed by laundry and house cleaning. I may go to the bank and get some cash later on. Getting low.

Concerned for Frank. No word since Monday.

All stay safe.

Tom

RE: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #IX.. Stop In!!! - FiatFan - 08-08-2021

Greetings, gang.

Cloudy and 68 with 99% humidity.  Had a shower move through overnight but maybe a tenth of an inch.  A far cry from the inch that was predicted.

Pretty laid back day yesterday.  After breakfast I took the car through the car wash and stopped at the bank.  Made it home just in time before a very light rain would have messed up my efforts to get the car clean.  Today I need to mow and get some fertilizer on the yard.  

Found some info about Frank on another forum:

He is fighting pneumonia again - thinks it was triggered by a big chemo treatment last week. He said he is better today - was waiting for the doc - who walked in as we spoke, so we cut it short. His blood OX is staying up.

Continuing prayers as he fights this battle.

All stay safe.

Tom

RE: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #IX.. Stop In!!! - ezdays - 08-08-2021

Good morning all, Sunday, a day of rest so it's said. Went shopping at Walmart the other day, lots of shelves empty again. No panic buying, just that lots of things are still in warehouses, on boats, waiting for trucks, or yet to be manufactured, all because they can't get workers. It's crazy right now.

Tom, thanks for the update on Frank, we still have him in our prayers.

Today will be less hot, 107 or so, tomorrow it starts to get decent, around 100 +/- with a good chance of rain. Some prognosticators give us a better chance than others. They claim that they have the latest in weather forecasting equipment, but I just picture them standing around a boiling cauldron looking for signs of what the weather is going to be. Icon_e_surprised There's one TV station that announces that it's a "weather action day", what the heck does that mean? Got my yard cleaned up of weeds and a few overgrown cacti trimmed, weeds love rain, so my forecast is that rain is likely, and I did that without any equipment. Icon_rolleyes

RE: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #IX.. Stop In!!! - sir james - 08-08-2021

Hello Blue
We woke up to thunder this morning, More thunder than rain but we did get some.
The Walmart here has cut down on cashiers trying to force shoppers to self check out, they are doing the same at Sam's club. So we have been shopping elsewhere.
Saturday was Abbot & Costello day on Turner. Didn't watch all day but did see some parts of my favorites.
Another lazy day going to 90.
S.J.

RE: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #IX.. Stop In!!! - tompm - 08-08-2021

Good afternoon folks

It is 78 heading up to 81 here in Virginia Beach on day 2 of our short vacation.

We are trying to figure out what were are doing today. Beach, pool, or something else.

I found out there is a model railroad shop in Norfolk. I am trying to figure out how I can make a trip there.

Getting ready to head out to brunch.

I hope everybody has a good day.

RE: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #IX.. Stop In!!! - FiatFan - 08-09-2021

Greetings, gang.

There's a light haze/fog outside my window this morning. The temperature is about 68 and the humidity about 172%. The high for the next few days will be around 90 with continuing high humidity. Had over an inch of rain and a couple of tornado warnings around 11 PM last night.

Yesterday was very quiet. I never mowed or put fertilizer down. Glad I didn't because the heavy rain would have washed it all down the storm sewer anyway. Up next is breakfast and then an exciting (or not) trip to Walmart. Later on I'll head to the gym. Still very humid out this morning so I may not get the yard work done for a few days.

All stay safe.

Tom

RE: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #IX.. Stop In!!! - ezdays - 08-09-2021

Good morning and welcome to another new week. Hard to believe that we're a third of the way through August already. School has started here and now we're fighting school buses once again. I was going to go target shooting this morning, but canceled when they changed the forecast to 108, but now they've changed their forecast down to 97 again. Too late, we'll just wait until around mid-September when we can trust our instincts rather than counting on the weather reports, the humidity is way up anyway as well as the chance of rain.

Almost finished with my layout extension base. A bit of sanding and paint and it'll be ready to bring into the house. Nothing like working out in a 40' x 40' sauna.

Heading to Brenda's Kitchen this morning for breakfast. The new owners have yet to come around to meet the regulars. Brenda and Rick knows us all by name and did a lot of the work, we don't even know the new owner's names. Talked to Rick, they're wondering how long it'll be before they have to take the restaurant back, or when the prices go up to cover the increased staff. We'll see.

Prayers for Frank are still in order.

Take care everyone, and have a great day........ Icon_e_biggrin