The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #IX.. Stop In!!! - Printable Version

+- (https://bigbluetrains.com)
+-- Forum: The Depot (https://bigbluetrains.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Forum: Hobo's Camp (https://bigbluetrains.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=39)
+--- Thread: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #IX.. Stop In!!! (/showthread.php?tid=9237)

RE: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #IX.. Stop In!!! - FiatFan - 01-01-2021

HAPPY NEW YEAR, gang!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

And I for one am happy to see the old one leave. A little foggy this morning and 18 degrees. Supposed to get to the mid 20s.

Quiet day yesterday. Gym and a quick trip to the grocery store and gas station. I'm all set for my trip. I'll leave here around noon today and be back late Sunday. Going to grandson's hockey tournament. Jut a little break before going back to eastern Iowa next week.

David - thanks for the tip. Two of my kids already have financial power of attorney so I don't expect any difficulty when they have to deal with things when (if) I'm gone.

All stay safe.

Tom

RE: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #IX.. Stop In!!! - Charlie B - 01-01-2021

Good morning everyone and a happy new year. I won't use capitals until we find out what's going on. 

MRC returned the new 8 amp booster that wasn't working yesterday.  It now works as it should. I had over 40 locomotives idling and it was so loud I filt I was in a rail yard, but that was enough to test the system and the voltscooter circuit breakers.  I didn't use the 3.5 amps from the main unit so I have that in reserve for another district. 

It is chilly here with freezing rain approaching. 

Cheers
Charlie

RE: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #IX.. Stop In!!! - Chief Eagles - 01-01-2021

Noon.  Lazy morning.  Slept late.  Wifey and I sat in den and watched some of her favorite fixer up TV shows.  Now she will take down another Christmas tree.  

I am going to the Train Box and permanently wire the lighting in my Menards buildings [new and old].  Temp wired to see how they worked late yesterday.  Friend Don Baker sent me some computer power supplies with various voltage lugs on them.  One lug is the right thing for Menards' lighting.  Will handle the load and more.  Seems they come out of old computers that are being scrapped.  Have quite fans in them too.  Also other voltages that can be used for other train related things. 

Slow packages.  After my call the other day to PO, seems my package sitting in Raleigh distribution center moved and was delivered.  Now got one coming by slow freight FEDEX from CA.  Was at FEDEX on Friday AM.  Will be here Monday the 11th. Must be walking it.  

"Rifle forum" talking about vaccine distribution.  Seems MI had gotten numbers of units but slow being given.  Well report here says NC has a lot of doses but slow being given.  What the heck!!!  

Hope all have a safe and happy new year.

RE: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #IX.. Stop In!!! - tompm - 01-01-2021

Good afternoon folks and Happy New Year

It is 33 on its way to 37. There is a good chance of light rain. Hopefully the temperature stays above freezing. Looks like areas to the west and north at higher elevations are dealing with ice.

We had our little family New Year’s Eve celebration. Went outside to chase the old year away with noise makers at midnight. We were the only ones in block to do so. Then it was off to bed.

I sealed the three cabooses I weathered. I have six hoppers to weather.

I have to run to the pharmacy to pick up a couple of things.

I hope everybody has a good day.

RE: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #IX.. Stop In!!! - ezdays - 01-02-2021

Good morning everyone, temps right now in the high 30's, heading to the high 60's. Sub-freezing for us desert dwellers, but we're faced with going back to the 110+ sooner than we'd like.

Someone in our neighborhood either found a few lost fireworks or didn't know what day it was and began shooting them off yesterday. At least they didn't wait until midnight.

Got a new cell phone, needed to upgrade since I'm going to add a few smart home devices. There was eight different sheets and booklets with it, not one of them told you how to make a phone call. Since the front is all glass, where are the mic and speakers? The, "quick guide" and the phone itself told you all about how to set up your account with Samsung. The 35 page, "about your new phone" booklet had no mention that you can make phone calls or send texts with it, but did have a list of things you can do, just not how to do them. I will probably be spending most of today with Samsung and Tracfone to get set up and maybe even make a phone call and check out the new posts on Big Blue with it. I may be old, but not stupid, why do the assume that you inherently know all of these things?

RE: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #IX.. Stop In!!! - Charlie B - 01-02-2021

Good morning

37 headed for a cloudy 42

I just had to get a new phone because the trackfone I had lost the screen. I had 5 bars on it at home. The new phone would not even connect at home and track phone refused to do anything about it. My old phone worked off ATT towers and the new one was verizon, which is very poor here. 

I settled for US mobile and I gat a plan for 14 bucks a month which is 150 minutes of phone, 100 text messages and 500mb of data. I use wifi where ever I can so this will work. I can add topup minutes and texts that carry over but the basics don't but I don't have a problem with that.  Like you I still have a lot to learn about the phone. We also have a straight talk land line that gives us unlimited talk anywhere in the states for 16 bucks a month and the quality is great. We have 4 cordless phones hooked to it.  It has a base station that plugs into your home phone wiring so your jacks work. 

I hope to do some video chats with my great grandkids today. I am missing the best parts of watching the grow but I don't want any of us to get sick. 

Cheers everyone
Charlie

RE: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #IX.. Stop In!!! - Chief Eagles - 01-02-2021

Lazy good morning.  Slept till 9 after going to bed early.  I was tired for some reason.  54 degrees and sun  trying to come out.  1.25 inches off rain.  Really soggy as was already real wet before the rains.  Getting that water table up for the dry times.  

Permanently lit three Menards buildings.  Wiring under layout now.  Got big Pepsi plant and red barn to move wiring under layout.  Think I will run a main layout breaker circuit around under layout.  Got the wire as found a big roll stored that I had forgotten.  Then when I throw on the main layout breaker, all the lights will come on.  Best part is, throw breaker off and all go off.  Don't have to walk around layout and turn them off.  Got red bulb light over the door.  If red light is out, everything on and under the layout is off.

This is the canal deer.  Have a very deep canal running around 1/2 the farm.  Turns into a creek on the end of the farm.  I have a 4 acre plot of woods that is very thick.  Was timbered several years ago.  Never thinned as to small for contractors.  He stayed there.  Came across the fields to the barns and camper at nights.  Moved across the big farm to barn stand [different barn] feeder at late night early AM.  Wondered the canal that is wooded.  He wandered across the highway on the other side of the canal the other day.  This kid got him.  Glad he did.  See how proud he is.

[Image: enhance]

Have a good one.

RE: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #IX.. Stop In!!! - tompm - 01-02-2021

Good afternoon folks

It is 48 and supposed to be heading to 52. It was pretty windy when I took the recyclables to the garage.

Getting a late start again today. Did some chores and now finally have a chance to sit down in front of the computer.

We have been with T-Mobile for about eight years now. I went with them when the kids went to college. At the time and still their family plan was the best price for what we needed. We had all switched to smart phones when the kids were high school. They were using them in the classroom and not having one put you at a disadvantage. The unlimited calling and data were important when one was in Jersey City and the other in Newburgh, NY. I also liked if the kids had a problem, they could go to a local T-Mobile store and get it addressed which happened numerous times.

I took some more inventory photos last night. I have about a dozen more items to photograph and then everything that is not on the workbench is done. I am hoping to finish that today and maybe weather the Athearn hoppers.

I need to make a grocery store and pet supply run. I also have to do birthday shopping for the wife. Her birthday is Tuesday.

I hope everybody has a good day.

RE: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #IX.. Stop In!!! - BR60103 - 01-02-2021

I want more light in the back room of the basement. I found a pair of halogen spotlights that are 120 watt equivalent and replaced two bulbs. Unfortunately, they are spotlights and focused straight down which isn't where my workdoor is. Also, no side light, so the top 4 shelves are dark. The old bulbs went back in.

RE: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #IX.. Stop In!!! - jim currie - 01-02-2021

hi all . now the mad days are over i unsequestered my self .
tom sorry to read about your son.
other than that been keeping myself busy with building layout and finishing some projects that are long overdue.
jim

RE: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #IX.. Stop In!!! - Charlie B - 01-02-2021

(01-02-2021, 08:41 PM)BR60103 Wrote: I want more light in the back room of the basement.  I found a pair of halogen spotlights that are 120 watt equivalent and replaced two bulbs. Unfortunately, they are spotlights and focused straight down which isn't where my workdoor is. Also, no side light, so the top 4 shelves are dark. The old bulbs went back in.

David, if you want light see if these are available in Canada. 20 watts each but they light like it is daylight. I put 4 in my garage which is 24x16 with no windows and it is like daylight. They come with everything you need and then some and only weigh about 14 ounces each. They mount on 2 little clips that can be attached to the ceiling stud.  Ratled tipped me off about them in his layout thread. https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B087M1XTWM/ref=pe_386300_442618370_pd_te_s_gr_im?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B087M1XTWM&pd_rd_r=V7K3M682RA9H1QFBPTD3&pd_rd_w=P8S67&pd_rd_wg=u61p4

in Canada https://www.amazon.ca/Barrina-Integrated-Fixture-Basement-electric/dp/B01HBT3BVM/ref=sr_1_8?dchild=1&keywords=t5+lights&qid=1609645508&sr=8-8

Charlie

RE: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #IX.. Stop In!!! - tompm - 01-02-2021

Well thanks to Charlie there went $37 to Amazon.

Thanks I have been looking for something like them for awhile. One side of the layout has always been darker than the other. These should help.

RE: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #IX.. Stop In!!! - ezdays - 01-03-2021

Good morning everybody, just a bit chilly out right now, officially 36, my outdoor thermometer says 42. Not sure why the big difference, mine is undercover in the front entry, I don't know where the official one is.

Well, I downloaded the Samsung users guide for my cell phone, 135 pages chocked full of info about their features, still, no one stinking word about how to use it to make phone calls. I finally had to engage a chat session with a Samsung "expert" to help with a few small issues, like where the heck is the mic and speaker? Well, they're in different places on different models, but this one is so sleek that it's not obvious and I was just beyond curious. I needed a magnifying glass to find them once he told me where they were, and not where I'd expect, let's just say that... Icon_e_surprised The easiest part of the process was getting Tracfone to move my number. Two minutes on their website and a short time later I could make calls. All my data, minutes, texts and time are now assigned to my new phone. One of my jobs in real life was to write manuals for things that I designed, and I assumed nothing. These writers assume that I have the cell phone knowledge of a 14-year old teeny-bopper.

Enough, it's Sunday, a day of rest, but I've got a few things I need to do. I did watch a bit of college football yesterday, got tired of it when they'd run a replay about six or eight times from all different angles, and tell you all about it like you have no clue what you just saw. Waiting Maybe these guys should be writing manuals for cell phones.

Have a great day and stay safe.

RE: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #IX.. Stop In!!! - Charlie B - 01-03-2021

Tom, I have ordered 24 more 12 for the sons train room and 12 more for mine. I should be able to land a C130. 

35 here and headed for 39 with rain showers predicted.  

I have no plans for today as usual, we shall see what happens as the day goes on. 

Everyone have a good day
Charlie

RE: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #IX.. Stop In!!! - sir james - 01-03-2021

Hello Blue and a Late Happy New Year.
I guess I haven't posted as there's nothing much going on. We miss going places that now don't seem safe. We took the risk for Christmas day spending it with our three kids and six grandsons. We have a fresh coat of snow but at 32 degrees it is melting.
S.J.