The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #IX.. Stop In!!! - Printable Version

+- (https://bigbluetrains.com)
+-- Forum: The Depot (https://bigbluetrains.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Forum: Hobo's Camp (https://bigbluetrains.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=39)
+--- Thread: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #IX.. Stop In!!! (/showthread.php?tid=9237)

RE: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #IX.. Stop In!!! - ezdays - 10-29-2021

Good morning good people, hard to believe it's Friday again and we're two days away from Halloween. That's scary enough. Regardless, we're heading out to Tonopah for some target shooting. That's a bit over fifty miles from here, but the temps look about the same today, 91 for a high. We leave around 6:00, so we're still in the cool part of the day.

Starting to paint my Denny's structure, but I keep finding spots that still need work, now I find I need to either color match some colors that I apparently mixed when I first built it, or just repaint everything using what I now have that is close.

I see the Arizona Cardinals beat themselves last night. I watched a lot of the game, but was very tired and kinda knew where the outcome was heading....

Gotta go, need to load the truck up and get ready to go. We always stop at the truck stop on I-10, but things have changed since they reopened from the pandemic. New waitstaff, new cooks, new menu, higher prices with fewer choices and the buffet is gone. Still, it's convenient since it's on the way.

Have a great day everyone, be safe and do some fun things. We are....

RE: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #IX.. Stop In!!! - FiatFan - 10-29-2021

Greetings, gang.

Cloudy and breezy this morning. 46 now with a predicted high in the low 50s with 30 mph winds. Finished up with an inch and three quarters of rain yesterday.

Lecture at the library was interesting. A meteorologist with a local tv station gave a presentation. During the Q&A afterwards I mentioned that the local Natioanal Weather Service office had an open office a few years back and I thought it was very nice but the primary reason I had attended was to see if they had any windows and then asked if he had any windows. Got a pretty good chuckle out of the audience (and the forecaster). And no, he didn't have any windows.

Gas price jumped another dime to $3.24.

All stay safe.

Tom

RE: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #IX.. Stop In!!! - Charlie B - 10-29-2021

Good Morning. 
         Cool but still rain, no white stuff yet.  I mowed yesterday even though the yard was really way too wet, but it was the last chance for at least another week.
4 more days in the splint from the carpal tunnel surgery. I will be glad when I can scratch the itches that I can't get to with the ruler that slides in the upper part. 
         I did some minor work in the train room yesterday also.
         My oldest son turns 58 tomorrow, that really makes me feel old. 
         The next eldest son has the motor home in his shop checking the mechanics. He found the front brake pads were almost to the change point so we put new pads on and found both front rotors, that were not showing much wear, cracked all the way through so he replaced them too. Finding parts isn't easy for an old 1981 model but persistence works. I had to go to Rock auto on line to get a steering box, but most everything engine related was changed when the previous owner installed a new crate engine. Rick is going to change the fuel lines and transmission cooling lines as a precaution too. 
           I was lucky because his wife's niece's boy friend had a motor home he was parting out so I got both doors and the fender I needed for 150 bucks and they are perfect.
           I sure do miss Franks post. He should have had a lot more time to enjoy retirement. 

Stay safe everyone. 
            Charlie

RE: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #IX.. Stop In!!! - FiatFan - 10-30-2021

Greetings, gang.

Clear and cool at 33 with a scheduled high in the upper 50s with only light breezes.

Gym was routine. Trip to Menards was successful. Found a piece of acrylic to fabricate a cover for the new Big Boy. The wind died down yesterday afternoon so I took a bike ride. Broke through the 1400 mile mark and nice weather for today should see me get even farther into new territory. Only other plan for today is college football at 2:30.

Got a text last night from my son to call him when I had a minute. So I called. He was on his way home and had not texted me. He also got a text at the same time from me asking him to call me when he had a minute. Very strange.

All stay safe.

Tom

RE: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #IX.. Stop In!!! - ezdays - 10-30-2021

Good morning everyone, almost Halloween, don't have many kids going around, been that way for years, so I'll just keep the light out and watch TV in the bedroom. Halloween isn't what it used to be and so are a lot of traditions.

Went target shooting yesterday, beautiful day, cool and windy, didn't get to the high 80's until later in the day and we were back home by noon as it was. We did OK, could have been better but we can blame it on the wind....

Lowest gas here is still Costco and Sam's Club at $3.39, I see some highs at $3.79. Not going down anytime soon. Regular in California is pushing $5.00 around LA. My buddy got a half of a tank of diesel for his RV in California a few weeks ago, only $200. He says that was enough to get him to Arizona so he could fill up. Right now, it would cost him over $250 for a half of a tank. Big RV, 7-8 mpg. Think about it, you could fly two people from LA to Phoenix for less than it cost to drive your RV and get there in far less time. Of course, you can skip going through security and not have to wear a mask if you go by RV, plus you can fix a hot dog on the way...

Enough for today, going to work on my Denny's and my layout today, maybe watch a bit of college football. Take care and have a fun weekend... Applause

RE: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #IX.. Stop In!!! - FiatFan - 10-31-2021

Happy Halloween, gang.

Clear and 37 headed for sunny and 50 and a little breezy.

Typical Saturday. Nebraska lost again - by a single score again. Getting really tired of it. Did a 19 mile bike ride and got the laundry all caught up. Went out last night to see if I could see the northern lights. Clear directly overhead but cloudy to the north of me so no luck there. Nothing major planned for today. Continuing work on the plexiglass cover for my Big Boy. Most of the pieces cut out. Just taking my time to make sure I assemble them neatly.

Gas droped to $3.11 last night so after my failed attempt to see the northern lights I filled the car up.

All stay safe.

Tom

RE: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #IX.. Stop In!!! - ezdays - 10-31-2021

Good morning all and yes, Happy Halloween. So little activity anymore, you have to wonder, is it the candy companies that refuse to let it go, or is it tradition trying to hang on. Anyway, no lights on, no candy, no "trick or treaters" coming to the door anyway.

Tom, concerned about Nebraska losing by one point, look at Arizona state, favored by double-digits, I turned it on in the first quarter and they were down 21-0, I came back the second quarter and it was 28-0. They lost by double-digits. The coaches job is in jeopardy, if they let him go, just like the last one and the one before that, he can walk away with millions.

Looks like gas here is up ten cents, average price now $3.59 or $3.79 for name brands. Everything else is going up, why not gas. Just thinking out loud, inflation is speeding past any raise they are giving us SSI recipients and we still have two months before we get it.

Take care, stay safe and watch out for those little ghosts and goblins....

RE: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #IX.. Stop In!!! - Charlie B - 10-31-2021

Good Morning Blue
       Gas is running between 3.03 and 3.19 here. I got 10 gallons in my truck, 10 in the car and 2 for the mower. It filled the car but the truck takes 35 gallon to fill. I don't drive it that much right now so no need to fill it. 
        My son will finish the motor home today so I have to go to his shop so I can chase parts if he needs them.  May not have to. 
        I ordered a Brother scan and cut machine for my wife and daughter to play with but I have ulterior motives for it too. They claim it cuts thin plastic so guess what I will be trying.  Icon_e_biggrin
        I may work in the train shed this evening.
Charlie

RE: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #IX.. Stop In!!! - FiatFan - 11-01-2021

Greetings, gang.

Clear and 30 headed for sunny and the upper 40s. Lows in the low to mid 20s and highs in the 40s are predicted until Friday.

Very quiet day yesterday. Slowly working on the plexiglass cover for the Big Boy. Planning to test some adhesives today. Looks like my best bet will be super glue. Lots of leave to pick up this afternoon.

All stay safe.

Tom

RE: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #IX.. Stop In!!! - ezdays - 11-01-2021

Good morning all, another month is behind us, we are now approaching the holiday season for real, not what the store merchandisers wanted us to believe. Halloween is behind us, I had a choice yesterday, watch some football or the Simpson's, "Treehouse of Horror" marathon. You can guess who won. They're fun to watch, just a bit too much blood, and violence.... Uh, I'm talking about the Simpsons, not football, but then again.... Icon_rolleyes 

Got my Christmas presents on order, something I can make for each family member. Just need to pick something up for my great-grandson. Can't wait to get started on the other ones, suppose to show up on Wednesday. Can't say what they are since my son is our webmaster here and he may just see this.

Busy day today, got several places to go including at least one appointment, I'm hoping for a second one that I can't make until they open. Got a new hearing aid last week after I found that I could get it for about a third of the cost through my insurance. The fit just needs a bit of tuning up. I can now hear things that I haven't heard in 20 years, and that's not all such a good thing.... Nope I remember when Grandpa Simpson got a hearing aid and didn't tell anyone and so he got to hear all the nasty things they were saying about him. I don't hear anything like that, but I never knew my shoes squeaked until now... Icon_e_surprised

So much for that, have a great day today, and go easy on the leftover candy...

RE: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #IX.. Stop In!!! - tompm - 11-01-2021

Good morning, folks

It is 51 going up to 57. Perhaps Fall has arrived here in the Delaware Valley.

Not much happening this weekend. Friday evening was interesting with our power going on and off. After three or four long flickers it finally went out around 10 PM. It was restored near midnight. Saturday morning, we again lost power around 11 AM for about 20 minutes. Friday’s loss was from the weather and several transformer fires. Saturday was a lost day as both the wife and I felt a little under the weather. Yesterday being Halloween meant getting ready for the trick-or-treaters. I had to put up the outside decorations that only go out on Halloween. We had a steady stream of kids probably about a hundred which is the most in several years.

Unfortunately, nothing got done on the layout.

Today I will spend some time putting away Halloween decorations. I have a few trips to make.

Perhaps I can find time to get downstairs to the layout.

I hope everybody has a good day.

RE: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #IX.. Stop In!!! - BR60103 - 11-01-2021

Gosh, is it time to take the pumpkin car off my wife's layout?
We can pretty well ignore Hallowe'en. Ours is a mature community -- minimum age 55, and the University is across the street -- they don't come in here.

RE: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #IX.. Stop In!!! - FiatFan - 11-02-2021

Greetings, gang.

Clear and 29 going to sunny and 45. Copy and paste for the next few days.

Worked harder than I anticipated yesterday. In addition to rounding up a large herd of leaves I got the storm windows cleaned and put on the porch. Now with the aid of my trusty space heater I can sit out there again. After all the hard work yesterday not much is planned for today. Since I made no progress on the display case yesterday I'll probably work on that today. I was planning to go to my winter schedule at the gym of 5 days a week. The extended forecast is showing 50s over the coming weekend which is enough to ride the bike so I'll keep visits to the gym to 3 days a week for a while yet.

Gas price up to its usual antics. Jumped 13 cents yesterday to $3.24.

All stay safe.

Tom

RE: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #IX.. Stop In!!! - ezdays - 11-02-2021

Good morning all, great deals at Walmart (and probably other places), on Halloween costumes. 50% off. Even saw a woman digging through them. Is it smart to buy something now for a kid that will probably be twice as big next year? Just asking...

Gas has kind of stabilized at $3.59, but I see a few isolated stations at $3.89, typical strategy, pay our high price if you forgot to fill up in town....

I'm ready to plant the Denny's on my layout. I need to do that before I lay the track around it. There's a Denny's a few miles from me that I kind of used as a model for mine, it's built with the back facing the street and so the front then faces the huge parking lot and the other stores in the shopping center. I could face my Denny's in either direction, there's no street and a small parking lot, so I really have to think that one out. I see a lot of strip shopping centers with the backs of the building facing the street. I don't know why they do that, I would think a business would get more exposure the other way, but who am I to question those that get the big bucks for making these decisions.

The weather here is exceptional, mid-80's, dropping into the 70's next week. Hope it's nice where you are, they are saying that they are looking at 12 foot of snow up in Alaska. Geeze, how do you even get out of your house?

Have a great day today, be careful and smile a lot. They say that's good for you... and everyone else too.... Icon_e_biggrin

RE: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #IX.. Stop In!!! - BR60103 - 11-02-2021

We had a start on winter today -- sleet in the afternoon, just about the time we would have gone for our walk. There may have been a bit of snow before that. However, there are no traces left now, other than a bit of damp.
Our gas has been inching up, but Costco went down a couple of cents to 139.9 (per liter).