CNR Eight Hatches Reefers - Printable Version

+- (https://bigbluetrains.com)
+-- Forum: Mainline (https://bigbluetrains.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=17)
+--- Forum: HO Modeling (https://bigbluetrains.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=21)
+--- Thread: CNR Eight Hatches Reefers (/showthread.php?tid=9408)

Pages: 1 2

CNR Eight Hatches Reefers - CNR5103 - 10-07-2021

In April 2020, I posted this photo of a Funaro & Camerlengo CNR Reefer kit I had built. 

I had bought two of those kits but I have only build one.  The second kit was put on a shelf waiting for the moment I would be willing to deal with such a kit having so many small details.

Since then I was lucky to buy three more kits on eBay and Facebook.  So I had not one but four kits to build.  Two have hinged doors and Dreadnought ends, two have plug doors and NCS ends but construction is pretty much the same except for some details.

This time I decided to build them together, one step at a time.  Each step will take four more time to be completed but no kit will be left on a shelf.

I started the project a few weeks ago. Here is the first step : Cleaning the parts and putting each kit in its own tray.

I will post more photos in a near future.

RE: CNR Eight Hatches Reefers - doctorwayne - 10-07-2021

I'm looking forward to following the construction, Guy.

I made an early version of the CNR cars, using a modified Athearn kit...

.....and with an October, 1939 BLT. date, it managed to just squeeze-in to my layout's late '30s era.

Wayne

RE: CNR Eight Hatches Reefers - CNR5103 - 10-08-2021

(10-07-2021, 11:40 PM)doctorwayne Wrote: I made an early version of the CNR cars, using a modified Athearn kit...

Wayne

Really nice car with outstanding details.  Great modeling.  Worship

RE: CNR Eight Hatches Reefers - cn nutbar - 10-08-2021

Another very generous and unexpected gift from Doctor Wayne

RE: CNR Eight Hatches Reefers - CNR5103 - 10-08-2021

I began the assembly by attaching the ends to the roof.  At this step, it's important to make sure everything is square and well adjusted so the finished car will be square.

I then added the sides.

The sides of one of the cars were too short.  I decided to add a piece of styrene at the end where there will be the ladder so the repair won't be noticeable.

So far so good.

RE: CNR Eight Hatches Reefers - Schraddel - 10-09-2021

The parts are very nice straight.

Lutz

RE: CNR Eight Hatches Reefers - doctorwayne - 10-09-2021

(10-08-2021, 03:24 PM)CNR5103 Wrote: The sides of one of the cars were too short.  I decided to add a piece of styrene at the end where there will be the ladder so the repair won't be noticeable.

Slick improvisation, Guy.   Applause Applause Applause

Wayne

RE: CNR Eight Hatches Reefers - CNR5103 - 10-13-2021

After the bodies were assembled, I should have continued with the roofs.  But I wasn’t ready to tackle all those small pieces (more on that in a future post) so I went for the floors.

RE: CNR Eight Hatches Reefers - tompm - 10-14-2021

They are coming along nicely. Very impressive.

RE: CNR Eight Hatches Reefers - CNR5103 - 10-17-2021

The under frames being completed, I had no choice but to tackle the roofs.

4 cars times 8 hatches = 32 hatches, 32 latches, 48 rests, 32 handles and 64 #80 holes.

No wonder I hesitated so long to start the project.

Next step will be to finish the sides and the ends.

RE: CNR Eight Hatches Reefers - UP SD40-2 - 10-17-2021

I am very impressed, Guy, Fantastic job so far Applause Icon_e_biggrin

RE: CNR Eight Hatches Reefers - doctorwayne - 10-17-2021

Lookin' good, Guy!   Applause Applause Applause 

Wayne

RE: CNR Eight Hatches Reefers - tompm - 10-18-2021

Awesome !The detail is incredible.

RE: CNR Eight Hatches Reefers - CNR5103 - 10-19-2021

Sides were a breeze to do.  

It was not so easy with the ends. 

The assembly of the four cars is now completed.  

Ready for the primer and then the paint room.  However, I still have to find the right paint.

RE: CNR Eight Hatches Reefers - CNR5103 - 10-29-2021

Today was the right day for the paint shop.

A photo of the four Funaro & Camerlengo kits.

When I had finished the assembly of those cars, I decided to repaint two True Line Trains Reefers because I have never liked the color which was too dark to my liking.  I first tried to strip the paint off them with Simple Green and isopropyl alcohol.  The Simple Green did absolutely nothing and it took no less than five days in a bath of alcohol to get rid of the paint on a first car with a good scrubbing with the result that some small parts were broken and had to be repaired.  As the paint on those cars was pretty thin and smooth I decided to let the second as is and paint over it without striping the paint.  I Know this is not a good modeling practice but, after priming and a coat of paint, I barely can't see the difference between the two.  

While the laundry room was transformed into a paint room (thanks to the girlfriend), I decided to take advantage of it and proceeded to the painting of two boxcars which were waiting on a shelf for quite a while.

That's what I call a good day at the office.