Anyone up for a 2024 challenge? - Printable Version

+- (https://bigbluetrains.com)
+-- Forum: Photographer's right of way (https://bigbluetrains.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=37)
+--- Forum: Contests & Challenges (https://bigbluetrains.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+--- Thread: Anyone up for a 2024 challenge? (/showthread.php?tid=9882)

Pages: 1 2

Anyone up for a 2024 challenge? - ezdays - 05-12-2024

It's been a while since we've had a challenge of any sort, a build challenge, scratchbuild, kitbash, or even a photo challenge. Is anyone up to get one started and if so, what would you recommend that we do????

RE: Anyone up for a 2024 challenge? - tompm - 05-12-2024

Personally I would be up for a build or a photo challenge. I might try a kitbash.

RE: Anyone up for a 2024 challenge? - Amalynn - 05-12-2024

I’m interested in possibly a photo challenge.

RE: Anyone up for a 2024 challenge? - LiveSteamer - 05-12-2024

Oh I'm up for either a build or photo challenge.

RE: Anyone up for a 2024 challenge? - ngauger - 05-12-2024

I think I have a few HO kits laying about..... I'll say Build or photo challenge .... Smile Smile

RE: Anyone up for a 2024 challenge? - nachoman - 05-13-2024

Probably a build challenge. Not sure if we limit to structures, or structures and rolling stock?

RE: Anyone up for a 2024 challenge? - ezdays - 05-13-2024

Just a thought, we could do a "pick your poison build", challenge. Pick a type of build and pit one type of entry with all entry types. That may not work, but it's a thought. We could pit kit, scratchbuild, scenery, rolling stock or kitbash against each other. That way everyone can pick the build that suites them best.

What's your thoughts????

RE: Anyone up for a 2024 challenge? - jim currie - 05-13-2024

my biggest challenge is getting out of a chair as for the other id be up for anything as long as isn't photography.
Jim

RE: Anyone up for a 2024 challenge? - Tyson Rayles - 05-15-2024

Or you could do both, a build and a photo challenge.

RE: Anyone up for a 2024 challenge? - ezdays - 05-15-2024

(05-15-2024, 07:34 AM)Tyson Rayles Wrote: Or you could do both, a build and a photo challenge.

Food for thought, no one left behind...

RE: Anyone up for a 2024 challenge? - TMo - 05-15-2024

I like the "pick your poison" challenge.

We're all in different stages of modeling - some have a finished layout they are trying to tweak, but by and large, a lot of us are not there yet and are working toward nirvana. Some would participate in a build challenge, some in a photo challenge, some in a scenery challenge, but the "pick your poison" option gives everyone a chance to compete.

Personally, I'm thinking about the semi-empty new piece of foam board (roughly 20 x 30 inches) occupying nothing but bareness next to my coal breaker. I'd like to see what I can do with that section of my layout in say, 6-10 weeks and submit that as my entry.

Someone else may have just procured a very expensive kit they've been salivating about putting together for months, or someone just got the idea of how to bash together a foundry. Someone else may just think there's a place on their layout that is an irritating eyesore, and it's time to tear it all out and reinvent the space or just make it look a lot better. Incentivizing through a challenge seems like a good way to spur interest in something you have an interest in getting done (or just started).

2 cents!

RE: Anyone up for a 2024 challenge? - ezdays - 05-17-2024

OK, just as a thought, a "pick your poison" challenge with the following categories open:
  • Scratchbuilt structure
  • Kit build structure
  • Kitbash structure
  • Layout addition (structures, scenery)
  • Diorama, (any kind)
  • Rolling stock kit build,
  • Rolling stock rebuild
  • Rolling stock scratchbuild

My thought would be that anyone can enter in one or more of the categories and document what they're doing. At the end, we could just have one voting poll combining all categories, unless we have a lot of entries in a category and I really doubt that would happen. I thought about adding photos as a category, but not sure if that shouldn't be a separate challenge.

Nothing in stone yet, this is just my thoughts. We could start the challenge the first of the month and go all summer to give everyone time to go on vacation and still get their challenge(s) done.

I'm open for thoughts and suggestions...

RE: Anyone up for a 2024 challenge? - TMo - 05-17-2024

Perfect! In! I'll be working in the "layout addition" category starting on June 1st if things get put "in stone".

RE: Anyone up for a 2024 challenge? - BR60103 - 05-17-2024

Last time, I suggested "oldest unbuilt kit in my collection". I might have trouble deciding which one it is.

RE: Anyone up for a 2024 challenge? - tompm - 05-17-2024

I am glad we have time to decide. I could go with the kit build structure . I have three Lundy Studio kits I am considering. Or do I go with the Rolling Stock kit build. I have a ton of Accurail and a bunch of Atlas Trainman kts to pick from. One kit would not seem enough for the summer. I guess he bridge area would fall under layout addition. I am glad we have two weeks to decide.