The traveling Grande Valley Railway (Onandaga Sub)
While I am still working on both my home N scale and my ex show Z layout I am in the process of building a new N scale show layout.Once this one is done it will be joined by another Z show layout. Both of these layouts will be built to a size of 32" x 48" and there will be no expansion of either with the possible exception of a staging track.

Basic specs are ,as already mentioned the size will be 32" x 48" ,the track will be (for the N scale) ATLAS True Track code 65 roadbed track. The plan is to use the track unmodified but if it needs it I will modify it.

Even though the layout is small ,there is a high possibility that it will be DCC equipted.

This pic is simply a progress pic to give you an idea of what the layout will look like.All buildings will either be kitbashed or scratchbuilt.

[Image: n-plan-a.jpg]
Johnathan (Catt) Edwards
"The Ol Furrball"

"I'm old school,I still believe in respect"
What !?!?!?! No finished scenery yet? Slacking off on us are you? Icon_lol
Mike

Sent from my pocket calculator using two tin cans and a string
No layout platform yet either.This is set up on the wyf's Christmas village platform.I have the lumber but still need the styrofoam (extruded of course) . I have been putting my money into the track,but now that I have the loop finished I can actually start on the layout itself. :mrgreen: I like this ATLAS track the way it is made you can barely tell where the joints are.I do wish they would expand the line a little faster. Sad
Johnathan (Catt) Edwards
"The Ol Furrball"

I've never heard of that track can you post a pic of it along with some prices?
Mike

Mike with out fussing with the camera and setting up a piece to take a picture of this was the simplist way to to post a pic of the track. Like most roadbed types of track it can be a real bugger to get connected correctly.Sometimes you just want to Wallbang Goldth

[Image: atl-2401.jpg]
Johnathan (Catt) Edwards
"The Ol Furrball"

Thanks, the code 60 is what is new to me. Will the regular micro-trains and older locos run on it without the flanges hitting the ties?
Mike

Mike, it is code 65 and so far I have run my Bachmann 70 ton and ATLAS GP15-1 with no problems .I have already ordered some of the remaining track that I need and will be ordering the rest from MB klein shortly after I post this . :mrgreen:
Johnathan (Catt) Edwards
"The Ol Furrball"

Those are newer locos have you tried the older versions (1995 or older) ? And what about the Micro-Trains rolling stock with the regular flanges, not the low profile type?
Mike

My brother in law has the same track and has had no problems with MTL's pizza cutters.I will be test running some trains once I get the rest of the track which should be early next week.
Johnathan (Catt) Edwards
"The Ol Furrball"

Thanks Catt, let me know how it goes.
Mike

Progress Report! :mrgreen:

Ok, here's the updated trackplan there may be more changes but this is the build diagram.I am beginning to think I am the only one in West Michigan using this track. Sad

[Image: n-plan-b.jpg]
Johnathan (Catt) Edwards
"The Ol Furrball"

Nuther progress report,Here is a pic of the completed framework.

[Image: n-plan-d.jpg]

Got the first piece of styrofoam glued down last night.I should have the other two glued down today.Material I am using is Owens Corning "Foamular" half inch.
Johnathan (Catt) Edwards
"The Ol Furrball"

Catt Wrote:....Got the first piece of styrofoam glued down last night.I should have the other two glued down today.Material I am using is Owens Corning "Foamular" half inch.
That is what I miss so much. I must have a foam base when I do the next general rebuild of my layout. You can do all the small ditches and trenches so easy and they are important because even a totally flat area is not flat at all.
Your wooden base looks good!
Reinhard
My club's HO and N scale layouts are plywood based.What a PITA to have to drill holes for every track nail.None of my layouts are topped with plywood.My home N scale layout is foam over plywood as is the center (origonal) portion of my Z layout.If I ever build a new home layout it will be built like this portable layout or on hollow core doors which is an idea that I am warming up to real quick. :mrgreen:

Here's a layout building tip for those concidering using foamboard. If you are using cork roadbed make sure the center seam of the cork is closed tight.If you do this the cork will hold the track nails in place very nicely.I have track on my home layout that is not ballasted yet and the nails have been holding the track in place for over 5 years now.

Tip number two Regular white glue straight from the bottle will hold the cork in place on foanboard.Just use T pins or push pins to hold it in place till the glue dries.

Tip number three buy your white glue by the gallon ,it is cheaper that way .
Johnathan (Catt) Edwards
"The Ol Furrball"

Ok ,more progress on the layout.This is a crappy picture I know but it shows some of the details happening.I wanted to get away from a totally flat topped layout so I put a downgrade in to go to the fiddle?yard trackage which will be at a lower level.My BQ23-7 is setting on the down grade . I may use this to add another section of layout so it does not look the same for every show.The building is just there to have something on the layout.

Anyway here is the current progress pic for this project.That backdrop is only there to hide some of the junk in my train room. :mrgreen:

[Image: n-plan-e.jpg]
Johnathan (Catt) Edwards
"The Ol Furrball"