bitcoin blackmail possible password hacking
Hello Blue

It is possible my Blue password has been captured somehow, so I changed it today.

I received an email to my main email (recovery) address claiming the sender had my password (correct)
but did not include my Blue username nor send to my Blue message account. Since I have used variations of this password in other venues, am not sure if the problem originated here or in other accounts.

Sender claimed to have taken control of my computer & webcam, threatened to release "embarrassing" data to my email list if I did not pay up through Bitcoin.

Thought you should know.  Has anyone else had this happen?
Is it possible a hacker may have obtained the password on the BigBlue site?

hillyard
Has not happened to me, but I have heard of this scam. They have no, "embarrassing" photos or web cam images, they just try to scare you into thinking you need to pay the scammer, or else....

It's always a good idea to change passwords, especially in cases like this.

There's a new variation on the "kidnap" scam here in Arizona and other border states where they have photos of the person supposedly kidnapped and some people have paid up just to find out they've been scammed.
Don (ezdays) Day
Board administrator and
founder of the CANYON STATE RAILROAD
I get such "threats" about weekly from East European sites but without a password. You should ensure each and every account has a very different password. many tools will assist you to create strong passwords and store them in a save valet.

ps. I am waiting for the embarrassing photos from my computer of totally naked locomotives to be published ;-)
Reinhard
They have hacked the Donut shop chain and have a password that I only used there. I don't believe that they can take control of my computer and give all my friends the embarrasing photo of me standing beside a Great Western locomotive.
David
Moderato ma non troppo
Perth & Exeter Railway Company
Esquesing & Chinguacousy Radial Railway
In model railroading, there are between six and two hundred ways of performing a given task.
Most modellers can get two of them to work.
(05-18-2019, 07:29 PM)BR60103 Wrote: They have hacked the Donut shop chain and have a password that I only used there. I don't believe that they can take control of my computer and give all my friends the embarrasing photo of me standing beside a Great Western locomotive.

That's the first thing that makes it an obvious scam, are you actually doing anything near your computer camera that would be embarrassing for anyone else to see, (your camera should not be storing anything) or to have any photos on your computer that you're not proud of? Getting your donut shop password just means that they could order more donuts or lattes than humanly possible to consume in one sitting. Popcornbeer
Don (ezdays) Day
Board administrator and
founder of the CANYON STATE RAILROAD