"New modules"
I started this project some years ago, and "other things" decided to take precedence over the construction. I've decided to try to have these done by next (2010) July, in time to possibly be at the NMRA convention "National Train Show" in Milwaukee, Wi.
This would be a good time to document the "build", and include any of the tips, tricks, techniques I have used, or have recently learned and will use, here.
I had posted these two shots on another forum. The first is the basic 30" X 48" modules ( three) that will make up the "set".    

This next shot, shows somewhat the process I use of "place and move" details, buildings, etc. to get a "pleasing", somewhat more "realistic" layout of the features, before "locking" everything down.    

The "I beam" bench and leg assemblies will go with the modules to support them. I chose this because I had to make the modules so shallow to permit dual gauge operation below the level of the "standard" mainline trackage.
The white, suitcase sized box, under the modules is the case I use to transport (by checked baggage on the airline) thirty pieces of rolling stock, and three locomotives, back when I would go out to San Diego for equipment training in my old job. I'd spend my weekends running the train on the San Diego Model Railroad Club's layout in the Balboa Park, San Diego Model Railroad Museum. I haven't forgotten the hospitality of that group in letting me "come in and play".
We always learn far more from our own mistakes, than we will ever learn from another's advice.
The greatest place to live life, is on the sharp leading edge of a learning curve.
Lead me not into temptation.....I can find it myself!

Messages In This Thread