Mississauga Derailment -- 30 years after
What I left out of the story was the suspicion of the cause. The truck in question had oil axle boxes, i.e. not roller bearing. The cars were checked in Chatham before being added to the CPR train. It was said that the axle box had a lubricating pad in it (to move the oil from the bottom of the box up to the journal) that was a size too big.
There was debate about whether that would matter or not, and whether it had happened. Apparently, at one yard the pads were all separated by sizes except for the two largest which shared a box. The pad itself was burned.
A lot of the recommendations of the inquiry were moot, because the railways were already implementing them. There was some concern that even if tank cars were given roller bearings, the car in front might be something else with plain bearings.

Note that if you modelled this scene in HO, there would be a piece of tank car 25 feet from the wreck site.
The locomotives on the train were GO Transit units, rented to CP for the weekend. They were equipped with rear-view mirrors but CP discouraged use of them for checking back over the train.
The investigation didn't assign any blame, or even try to decide where there was fault; it was for checking procedures ad making recommendations.
I saw a notice last week asking for people with memories of the event to share them at a meeting.
(Is the diagram big enough? I can try to scan it again.)
David
Moderato ma non troppo
Perth & Exeter Railway Company
Esquesing & Chinguacousy Radial Railway
In model railroading, there are between six and two hundred ways of performing a given task.
Most modellers can get two of them to work.

Messages In This Thread