Puddlejumper's 2010 Summer Firehouse challenge
I have been excited for this challenge, as the last one was so darn fun!

Being a firefighter in our Nation's Capital, I have a desire to have an urban firehouse on my layout. While on a weekend getaway with my wife in Gettysburg, Pa. for the bluegrass festival, my wife suggested we go to Strasburg and ride the wine train. (Yes, you heard right, SHE suggested it!) Never one to turn down a train ride I agreed. While there she bought me a Life-Like fire station kit. Goals for this build:

1. Build a believable rendition of a 2 bay firehouse to house a 2 piece Engine Company and a Hook & Ladder Company
2. give the firehouse an "urban" feel. Many of the firehouses in cities were built in Horse & carriage days or at least when apparatus was much smaller. This makes the quarters pretty cramped for larger, motorized apparatus. I wanna capture that cramped feel. Also I want the building to appear aged, remodeled by the city once or twice, and eventually will be surrounded on all sides by high rise buildings so will have a small, limited parking lot out back.
3. build a firehouse that doesn't scream Life-Like Firehouse
4. detailed interior, not sure about lighting.

I look forward to the challenge, and I'm glad we have 3 months to do it. That might not even be enough time for me!

Dave
-Dave

Messages In This Thread