PRR A5 0-4-0
Hello!

Here is another building report of an steamer not so tight to the kit instructions:
[Image: dsc00690iuij.jpg]
This was really one of the very last Bowser kits of the A5 and i was really happy to get it after an half year of waiting for it. The picture shows the content of the kit box. Although it was sold as Standard Kit nearly all brass superdetail parts were included.

[Image: dsc0070918j8.jpg]
The first decision was, this will become no shelf parker, no race engine and no staller on switches Wallbang , but a real switcher for switching duties on my layout.
So a reliable current pick up fron all wheels is necessary. This includes all the tender wheels also.
And for an reliable current pick up also all wheels have to stay on the railhead.

This is a very tiny engine with only 4 wheels. And for this all of the 4 wheels should stay on the railhead, better for traction and better for current pick up.
So this loco got an 3-point suspension.
How?
Simply by some milling of one of the axle bearings on the frame. The first pair of wheels are drive by the gear an so this have to be rigid for correct gear mesh. The second axle is driven by the rods. and here i milled and filed on the bearing. Only the middle section in the middle of the frame of this bearing is untouched. Both outer ends were vertically milled so, that the axle can rock in a sideway manner.
The bottom plate was also milled to enable the axle to rock.
N.B. Never, never do milling on axle bearings and coupling rods in horizontal manner, your got enormous difficulties when you do that.

The valve gear was riveted and the mechanism was coarse bolted together. Motor and gear mounted and test was made by powering through wires directly to the motor contacts. Some work to eliminate any binds followed until the mechanism runs really even and free.
When first test mounting the shell, i detected it was to low on the front end. After measuring and comparing with prototype photos, i added some 1.0mm styrene sheet on the steam chest. So the shell is now on the correct height and fits horizontal.

[Image: dsc007063j9e.jpg]
The tender was also roughly bolted together to see how it fits.

Lutz

Messages In This Thread